AZDuffman
AZDuffman
Joined: Nov 2, 2009
  • Threads: 217
  • Posts: 10945
May 13th, 2019 at 5:38:07 AM permalink
Quote: AxelWolf

I know they did. Someone needs to figure out how to do it without taking a cut of the action. Just a one time flat fee for the app and perhaps a small monthly fee.



That's the thing though, it cannot be done. One way or another, flat fee or cut of the action, it all must be paid for. Right now, Uber and Lyft are unprofitable in the current system. A flat-fee system might end up being $500-1,000 per month or more. Few will pay that.

Just listened to Motley Fool podcast. They predicted Lyft goes to $0 within 2 years.

It reminds me of a company I used to work for. Someone found out what car washes were being charged to clean their traps. And they found out that the same machine we used to clean grease traps would do the job. So they undercut the hell out of the market. Well, car washes got charged more because they had aggregates in the traps, which destroyed the pumps, which is why they were charged so much more.

Lyft and Uber seem to have underestimated just what it cost to run this business. They want to keep the pricing low. Drivers are barely making a living and they are losing money at the same time. Something will survive, but the $10 fare home from the bar will not.
Tolerance is the virtue of believing in nothing
SOOPOO
SOOPOO
Joined: Aug 8, 2010
  • Threads: 101
  • Posts: 5685
May 13th, 2019 at 8:31:29 AM permalink
Quote: AZDuffman



Lyft and Uber seem to have underestimated just what it cost to run this business. They want to keep the pricing low. Drivers are barely making a living and they are losing money at the same time. Something will survive, but the $10 fare home from the bar will not.



It does not matter if drivers are "barely making a living". What matters is if drivers are willing to work for UBER. I drive by the "cell phone waiting lot" at my airport every day. FILLED with UBER cars waiting for the next trip. So the amount UBER pays its wokers is enough to get enough of them to drive, If that changes (maybe a 'strike' will cause it to), then UBER will either have to offer the drivers more money or benefits or something.

I can push a button on my phone at 4am and someone will be at my door by 4:10am and for $13 (so $10 plus tip for the driver) drive me to the airport. Seems like UBER has the correct price point in my neck of the woods.
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
Joined: Nov 2, 2009
  • Threads: 217
  • Posts: 10945
May 13th, 2019 at 9:45:16 AM permalink
Quote: SOOPOO

It does not matter if drivers are "barely making a living". What matters is if drivers are willing to work for UBER. I drive by the "cell phone waiting lot" at my airport every day. FILLED with UBER cars waiting for the next trip. So the amount UBER pays its wokers is enough to get enough of them to drive, If that changes (maybe a 'strike' will cause it to), then UBER will either have to offer the drivers more money or benefits or something.

I can push a button on my phone at 4am and someone will be at my door by 4:10am and for $13 (so $10 plus tip for the driver) drive me to the airport. Seems like UBER has the correct price point in my neck of the woods.



It is working for now in a booming economy. Will the supply of good drivers never end? Who knows. I have never tried them in off hours like that.
Tolerance is the virtue of believing in nothing
AcesAndEights
AcesAndEights
Joined: Jan 5, 2012
  • Threads: 66
  • Posts: 4264
May 13th, 2019 at 10:44:31 AM permalink
Quote: AZDuffman

It is working for now in a booming economy. Will the supply of good drivers never end? Who knows. I have never tried them in off hours like that.


LOL at "good drivers." I've had 2 really bad experiences here in Greater Boston. I'll relate the most recent one.

The guy didn't have a mount for his phone/GPS unit. So he was constantly looking down at his lap for the next turn. Every time he did this, he jerked the wheel juuuust a bit. He must have had some damage to his car, because he would slow down to almost a DEAD STOP for any slight bump or pothole in the road. If you've ever driven in Boston, you realize this meant he was slowing down a lot. I almost asked him WTF was going on, but I could barely understand him to begin with.

I really should have just told him thanks, stop, this is good let me out here. But I was very tired, and for whatever reason didn't make that call.

I left him a 1-star review. I didn't feel bad at all because he was a terrible driver, and needs to either learn how to drive, or get a different job.
"So drink gamble eat f***, because one day you will be dust." -ontariodealer
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
Joined: Nov 2, 2009
  • Threads: 217
  • Posts: 10945
May 13th, 2019 at 11:05:24 AM permalink
Quote: AcesAndEights



I left him a 1-star review. I didn't feel bad at all because he was a terrible driver, and needs to either learn how to drive, or get a different job.



Best way to do it. Too bad we do not have something at least approaching the London Black Cabs.
Tolerance is the virtue of believing in nothing
michael99000
michael99000
Joined: Jul 10, 2010
  • Threads: 9
  • Posts: 1494
May 13th, 2019 at 12:05:46 PM permalink
Quote: AcesAndEights

LOL at "good drivers." I've had 2 really bad experiences here in Greater Boston. I'll relate the most recent one.

The guy didn't have a mount for his phone/GPS unit. So he was constantly looking down at his lap for the next turn. Every time he did this, he jerked the wheel juuuust a bit. He must have had some damage to his car, because he would slow down to almost a DEAD STOP for any slight bump or pothole in the road. If you've ever driven in Boston, you realize this meant he was slowing down a lot. I almost asked him WTF was going on, but I could barely understand him to begin with.

I really should have just told him thanks, stop, this is good let me out here. But I was very tired, and for whatever reason didn't make that call.

I left him a 1-star review. I didn't feel bad at all because he was a terrible driver, and needs to either learn how to drive, or get a different job.



And giving him 1 star means Uber will never pair you with him again when you request a ride.
Boz
Boz
Joined: Sep 22, 2011
  • Threads: 153
  • Posts: 5549
May 13th, 2019 at 12:15:47 PM permalink
https://www.nolandalla.com/my-28-days-as-a-lyft-driver-in-las-vegas/

I know heís not the most popular person with...well just about anyone but itís a good read.

Nolan spent 4 weeks driving for Lyft with one of their program rentals and wrote about it. 3 of 4 parts of the story are available on his site.
Boz
Boz
Joined: Sep 22, 2011
  • Threads: 153
  • Posts: 5549
May 13th, 2019 at 1:09:13 PM permalink
Quote: terapined

Wow
Pretty cold heartless post
I deeply care that my Father is gone. His suicide devastated my family. He was no idiot. PHD from Yale. Depression can be a deadly mental illness. :-(
I suffer from depression. Does that make me an idiot and loser?



Just saw this as I was off for a few days heading to Florida and working.

Heartless? Not my intent though Iím sure it could appear that way.
Your father? Sorry for your loss.
Depression? I hope you are getting help for it. Iím sure itís horrible and hopefully help is available.
Respect you for saying what you believe all the time, as do I.

Suicide to me is still a weakness that only hurts those you say you love and care for and itís selfish. Sorry but I donít see it any other way. I am glad I canít imagine anything that bad that canít be fixed or addressed compared to the alternative.

And I certainly hope itís not something you or anyone ever feels is an option. In ANY situation. There is always someone to talk to a simple phone call away. People you have met or someone you never have are there for you or anyone who needs it.

Itís what makes us humans, in spite of any differences in beliefs.

Have a Great Day Terps, and there is sunshine under all these storms today.
TomG
TomG
Joined: Sep 26, 2010
  • Threads: 11
  • Posts: 1816
May 14th, 2019 at 5:32:54 PM permalink
Quote: Boz

https://www.nolandalla.com/my-28-days-as-a-lyft-driver-in-las-vegas/

I know heís not the most popular person with...well just about anyone but itís a good read.

Nolan spent 4 weeks driving for Lyft with one of their program rentals and wrote about it. 3 of 4 parts of the story are available on his site.



Read the first one. Loved it. Renting the car from Lyft might be make it a great deal. Make it a hybrid to cut gas costs in half. Put in an 80 hour week on a rental, then take at least a couple weeks off for less demanding income. Could possibly get 10 to 15 weeks like that per year at about $20 per hour after expenses ($16 - $24k annual), with no wear and tear on your own vehicle. Maybe even more for someone who can really figure out how to maximize the job.
billryan
billryan
Joined: Nov 2, 2009
  • Threads: 153
  • Posts: 7617
May 14th, 2019 at 5:56:47 PM permalink
A few years back, Uber drivers with SUVs invaded the Hamptons when they realized the money they could make. Trouble is most of them lived in NYC and rather than drive the 200 miles round trip, they started crashing in their cars. You'd pull up to go to the beach and the lots would be filled with Uber drivers sleeping in their cars. So Suffolk County made in an offense to sleep in a For Hire vehicle but that made it worse. Drivers were driving out and putting in marathon work sessions. Southampton finally just banned them for the rest of the season and told Uber to get its act together for next year. Whatever they did, the problem disappeared and Uber is now an integral part of Hampton life, where taxis were rare, badly maintained and expensive as hell.

  • Jump to: