threads that people like posting in
have a history of being closed or
having their titles changed.

Other forums would love this kind
of posting activity, it's great for
the owners and advertisers. Not
here though, active enjoyable
threads are frowned on..

I think the title change was a bit much. Even if nobody changes their mind on these issues I know I benefit from hearing about events I otherwise wouldn't have and seeing new sources.
"Just because I'm not doing anything illegal, doesn't mean I won't have to defend myself someday." -Chip Reese
MaxPen
MaxPen
  • Threads: 13
Thanked by
RogerKintFleaswatterrawtuff
March 23rd, 2019 at 12:24:02 AM permalink
Quote: Minty

I think the title change was a bit much. Even if nobody changes their mind on these issues I know I benefit from hearing about events I otherwise wouldn't have and seeing new sources.

The title change is rediculous. "Alt facts" is basically calling everything a lie and everyone who posts a link based fact a liar. It is a personal insult by the administration toward the member base. That's another fact based truth.
What's even funnier is noone explaining the reasoning for the title change. There were no alt facts posted prior to the name change. This was a shining example of uncontrolled bias run amok.
ams288
ams288
  • Threads: 22
Thanked by
Forager
March 23rd, 2019 at 4:10:13 AM permalink
Quote: EvenBob

25 pages of posts in 2 hours. Uh oh.

Huh? More like 25 pages of posts in 4 days.

Or does time work differently in your fantasy world?
Ding Dong the Witch is Dead
darkoz
darkoz
  • Threads: 296
March 23rd, 2019 at 4:13:11 AM permalink
Quote: ams288

Or does time work differently in your fantasy world?

Yeah its called alt right facts.

Like the economy is poor but one day after Trump says his oath he has magically changed everything
For Whom the bus tolls; The bus tolls for thee
Minty
Minty
  • Threads: 7
March 23rd, 2019 at 6:52:34 AM permalink
Yeah, has anyone already mentioned that last month's deficit was the largest on record? I noticed it scrolling through Facebook but didn't look much more into it.
"Just because I'm not doing anything illegal, doesn't mean I won't have to defend myself someday." -Chip Reese
terapined
terapined
  • Threads: 89
March 23rd, 2019 at 7:16:00 AM permalink

Yeah, has anyone already mentioned that last month's deficit was the largest on record?.

Its pretty shocking
That's why I am no longer a republican
I was a fiscal conservative that believed in a balanced budget and voted for Reagan and Dole
Republicans these days are all about spend spend spend.
sad
Minty
Minty
March 23rd, 2019 at 7:26:34 AM permalink
Quote: terapined

Its pretty shocking
That's why I am no longer a republican
I was a fiscal conservative that believed in a balanced budget and voted for Reagan and Dole
Republicans these days are all about spend spend spend.
sad

It's not bad spending if it's on issues they are concerned about. They simply can't spend more while taxing less. They can cut programs, but it's not enough to make up for the deficit and it's gonna make a lot of people angry. People don't like higher taxes either, but at least where I'm at, if you let them know in advance about a tax increase and say where the money is going, they'll generally be on board.
aceofspades
aceofspades
  • Threads: 366
Thanked by
RogerKintheatmapFleaswatterdjatcBoz
March 23rd, 2019 at 8:43:53 AM permalink
Quote: beachbumbabs

*EXCERPT*To blame the rest of the world, especially women and minorities, for their lot in life, rather than taking responsibility for themselves.

But see Islam

*EXCERPT*It's really irresponsible to ignore the role of organized hate groups and propaganda in escalating these incidents. The hate groups themselves are proud of the role they play - if they can admit it, why can't you?

But see ANTIFA
EvenBob
EvenBob
  • Threads: 441
March 23rd, 2019 at 9:59:01 AM permalink

It felt like 2 hours..
"It's not called gambling if the math is on your side."
beachbumbabs
beachbumbabs
  • Threads: 100
Thanked by
ams288
March 23rd, 2019 at 10:10:51 AM permalink
Quote: aceofspades

But see Islam

But see ANTIFA

Neither of MY posts, which you excerpted, suggested any more support for left-wing extremism than for right-wing, in their contexts. But YOUR selective editing and rhetorical "responses" are just more whataboutism, implying I was expressing a bias.

Wrong. Misleading. Mischaracterizing my posts. And strongly implying, in turn, you are a white supremacist or sympathizer. Is that the understanding we are supposed to have of you? Or perhaps you're acting as a Russian troll, inciting and escalating resentment and discord to divide us. Is that your position? I sort of doubt any of that is true, but YOU bring that implication on yourself.

There is no excuse for escalation, for political-based pitting of fellow citizens against each other, for this kind of pot-stirring. We need to rediscover the many things we have in common, not emphasize our differences into divisions overriding thoughtful and productive discussions. That's true for BOTH sides.
If the House lost every hand, they wouldn't deal the game.
MaxPen
MaxPen
Thanked by
ForagerFleaswatterAZDuffmanRogerKint
March 23rd, 2019 at 10:26:33 AM permalink

Neither of MY posts, which you excerpted, suggested any more support for left-wing extremism than for right-wing, in their contexts. But YOUR selective editing and rhetorical "responses" are just more whataboutism, implying I was expressing a bias.

Wrong. Misleading. Mischaracterizing my posts. And strongly implying, in turn, you are a white supremacist or sympathizer. Is that the understanding we are supposed to have of you? Or perhaps you're acting as a Russian troll, inciting and escalating resentment and discord to divide us. Is that your position? I sort of doubt any of that is true, but YOU bring that implication on yourself.

There is no excuse for escalation, for political-based pitting of fellow citizens against each other, for this kind of pot-stirring. We need to rediscover the many things we have in common, not emphasize our differences into divisions overriding thoughtful and productive discussions. That's true for BOTH sides.

LOL......you should really consider taking a break from visiting any thread with a remote chance of running into anything political. If I put up a poll regarding your bias the result would probably cause the top of the page to break from all the results piled into the yes box.
beachbumbabs
beachbumbabs
Thanked by
ams288rxwinedarkoz
March 23rd, 2019 at 10:38:11 AM permalink
Quote: MaxPen

LOL......you should really consider taking a break from visiting any thread with a remote chance of running into anything political. If I put up a poll regarding your bias the result would probably cause the top of the page to break from all the results piled into the yes box.

Pot, meet kettle. And then some.
TomG
TomG
  • Threads: 16
March 23rd, 2019 at 11:00:11 AM permalink

The title change is rediculous. "Alt facts" is basically calling everything a lie and everyone who posts a link based fact a liar.

Alternative Facts was a term created by a member of the Trump administration to defend questionable statements made by another member of the Trump administration. It's awesome that when it comes to questions of the truth you are siding with CBS over the Trump administration

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alternative_facts

Looking through the references led to this truly awesome video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=546&v=Zh3Yz3PiXZw
onenickelmiracle
onenickelmiracle
  • Threads: 212
March 23rd, 2019 at 11:03:18 AM permalink

It felt like 2 hours..

it's the same few people getting off antagonising each other mainly.
I am a robot.
MaxPen
MaxPen
Thanked by
FleaswatterForagerAZDuffmanBozMooseton
March 23rd, 2019 at 11:23:01 AM permalink

Pot, meet kettle. And then some.

At least I'm not expected to perform any functions that require an unbiased viewpoint.
Recognition that there is a problem is the first step to a solution. Nice to see you starting to admit the bias.😀
beachbumbabs
beachbumbabs
March 23rd, 2019 at 11:36:48 AM permalink

At least I'm not expected to perform any functions that require an unbiased viewpoint.
Recognition that there is a problem is the first step to a solution. Nice to see you starting to admit the bias.😀

Compared to you, I definitely have a bias. Even if I'm flat middle of the bell curve, I'm halfway from you. So I'm a bit more than that, left side of center, but definitely moderate, not liberal.

But here's the point I've been trying to make all along. I consider you a friend. We have much in common. We are both defined by much more than political stances.

However, I think sometimes our commonality gets lost, at least in political threads, where instead of talking to each other, quite a few people here talk AT each other, taking extreme positions, using derisive language about the other viewpoint, lumping people together, misrepresenting the opposition and putting them on the defensive, trying to equate unequal situations.

That's the stuff that has to change if we're to stay in this country together. It's possible to disagree without being disagreeable. We need to rediscover that kind of civility, here, and in the larger country. That includes separating fact from opinion from spin.
Face
Administrator
Face
  • Threads: 49
Thanked by
beachbumbabspetroglyphterapinedtringlomanegamerfreakMinty
March 23rd, 2019 at 11:47:36 AM permalink

Very much this, and very much especially the last two sentences.

My $0.02 is that the political scene here has gotten too ridiculous, to the point we're being angry and divisive for the sake of being angry and divisive. Tearing into Trump because he dropped protection for a million acres of federal park seems a genuine beef and one worthy of discussion. Flogging the man over the college kids coming to the WH for fast food, that's ridiculous. I hate him, too, and McD's is about the tackiest, almost-torture meal one could provide, but I can still see it was Good Thing, and having been one of those kids before I would bet my very life that they all had a stupid great time. I know I would have. To allow this type of s#$% talking has been a detriment. And yes, it goes both ways. Lamenting Obama's foreign policy of dropping bombs on citizens, worthy of debate. Discussing the size of Michelle's penis is EMBARRASSING.

I'll say again - We just secured an arms deal with the coconspirators of 9-11 so that they may engage in a civil war and use our weapons to starve 13mm Yemeni's, all while they murder one of our journalists with proof and zero recourse. We're 20T in debt. Worst healthcare in developed world while also being the most expensive. Actual 3rd world infrastructure problems. Some 50+ counties in Nebraska are completely underwater. And what did this thread bring us yesterday? Who rapes more kids - Catholics or Muslims.

There's YouTube comments, 4chan and MSM to satisfy your need for low effort, empty calorie, infotainment. Here, we're going to aim higher.
The opinions of this moderator are for entertainment purposes only.
EvenBob
EvenBob
March 23rd, 2019 at 11:52:39 AM permalink

That includes separating fact from opinion from spin.

How is that done when the media is
all spin and fake news. Just saw
a 10min compilation of all the
people Mueller was going to
indict in the last 2 years, given
as news, not fantasy speculation.
And people ate it up like it was
written in stone.
MaxPen
MaxPen
Thanked by
terapinedBoz
March 23rd, 2019 at 12:01:02 PM permalink
Quote: Face

Very much this, and very much especially the last two sentences.

My $0.02 is that the political scene here has gotten too ridiculous, to the point we're being angry and divisive for the sake of being angry and divisive. Tearing into Trump because he dropped protection for a million acres of federal park seems a genuine beef and one worthy of discussion. Flogging the man over the college kids coming to the WH for fast food, that's ridiculous. I hate him, too, and McD's is about the tackiest, almost-torture meal one could provide, but I can still see it was Good Thing, and having been one of those kids before I would bet my very life that they all had a stupid great time. I know I would have. To allow this type of s#$% talking has been a detriment. And yes, it goes both ways. Lamenting Obama's foreign policy of dropping bombs on citizens, worthy of debate. Discussing the size of Michelle's penis is EMBARRASSING.

I'll say again - We just secured an arms deal with the coconspirators of 9-11 so that they may engage in a civil war and use our weapons to starve 13mm Yemeni's, all while they murder one of our journalists with proof and zero recourse. We're 20T in debt. Worst healthcare in developed world while also being the most expensive. Actual 3rd world infrastructure problems. Some 50+ counties in Nebraska are completely underwater. And what did this thread bring us yesterday? Who rapes more kids - Catholics or Muslims.

There's YouTube comments, 4chan and MSM to satisfy your need for low effort, empty calorie, infotainment. Here, we're going to aim higher.

What is worthy of discussion to one person may be vastly different to another. As well, no 2 people will have the same opinion on all things. Tolerance of another's opinion is paramount to civility. Just because you don't agree with someone doesn't mean you have to dislike them.
I like most people I disagree with.

I also enjoy laughing at myself for some of the things I do that I may or may not believe in.😀

I guess it all depends on how serious one takes themself and life in general. I am pretty carefree and try to find humor and entertainment in the chaos.
Boz
Boz
  • Threads: 155
March 23rd, 2019 at 3:12:40 PM permalink

Perhaps you should look at Ozzy’s accusation that citizens of the Southern States have average IQ’s under 70. But he did add a “lol”.

Hey, all ...... should be shot, lol. No difference.

Face it, there are crazies on both sides.
darkoz
darkoz
March 23rd, 2019 at 4:43:27 PM permalink
Quote: Boz

Perhaps you should look at Ozzy’s accusation that citizens of the Southern States have average IQ’s under 70. But he did add a “lol”.

Hey, all ...... should be shot, lol. No difference.

Face it, there are crazies on both sides.

To be fair I said Deep South

To NYers that means a bunch of bible belt farmers in corn fields.

Southern Florida doesnt count since they have gone commercial :)

EDIT: to be more fair I know quite a few dumb NYers

And most ploppies when they start rubbing the plastic screen in order to generate results I assume have 70 IQs. Even the ones who turn out to be doctors and lawyers
Boz
Boz
March 23rd, 2019 at 4:47:36 PM permalink
Quote: darkoz

To be fair I said Deep South

To NYers that means a bunch of bible belt farmers in corn fields.

Sourthern Florida doesnt count since they have gone commercial :)

And I say, pick states. And if that doesn’t meet your criteria, pick a county, any country in any state below the MD line and prove they have an average IQ under 70. Or stop being racist against legal Americans anywhere.
Gialmere
Gialmere
  • Threads: 44
March 23rd, 2019 at 4:55:44 PM permalink
Perhaps there's a misunderstanding of statistics. President Eisenhower was once stunned to learn that half of all Americans had below average intelligence.
Have you tried 22 tonight? I said 22.
Boz
Boz
March 23rd, 2019 at 4:58:58 PM permalink
Quote: Gialmere

Perhaps there's a misunderstanding of statistics. President Eisenhower was once stunned to learn that half of all Americans had below average intelligence.

But Ike smiled like hell at the discussion of wankers in Porky’s.
darkoz
darkoz
March 23rd, 2019 at 5:05:44 PM permalink

And I say, pick states. And if that doesn’t meet your criteria, pick a county, any country in any state below the MD line and prove they have an average IQ under 70. Or stop being racist against legal Americans anywhere.

Im not sure how to comment about IQs in states below MD.

Perhaps I will start by saying U.S. Southerners are not classified as their own race of people so I cant be racist by insulting Southerners
Boz
Boz
Thanked by
RS
March 23rd, 2019 at 5:13:00 PM permalink
Quote: darkoz

Im not sure how to comment about IQs in states below MD.

Perhaps I will start by saying U.S. Southerners are not classified as their own race of people so I cant be racist by insulting Southerners

No you are just trying to get yourself out of a comment you made about the IQ’s of Americans living in the Southern States.

Again, willing to put your money where your mouth is about the IQ of Southerners?
beachbumbabs
beachbumbabs
March 23rd, 2019 at 6:33:47 PM permalink

No you are just trying to get yourself out of a comment you made about the IQ’s of Americans living in the Southern States.

Again, willing to put your money where your mouth is about the IQ of Southerners?

You're trolling him now, Boz. Stop it.

The original quote came from EB anyway, as a supposed statistic about Africans. He made a bad joke coming off of that. Time to drop it.
Hullabaloo
Hullabaloo
  • Threads: 17
March 23rd, 2019 at 7:34:29 PM permalink

The original quote came from EB anyway, as a supposed statistic about Africans. He made a bad joke coming off of that. Time to drop it.

And that 'statistic' is very controversial, and disputed:

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2010/01/100121155220.htm
Hullabaloo
Hullabaloo
  • Threads: 17
March 23rd, 2019 at 7:44:03 PM permalink
Quote: Gialmere

Years ago I had a similar thought that I named "the 50% rule" which just points out that roughly half the population has an IQ below 100. Of course most are in the 90-110 range, as seen in the classic bell graph:

I in know way use that to malign anyone, but the 50% rule helped me to better understand and deal with everyday life.

For example, if you go into McDonald's and say "I'd like a large french fry please" and the counter person says to you "Would you like fries with that" then you have a pretty good idea you're dealing with someone who's probably on the backside of that chart.
Minty
Minty
March 23rd, 2019 at 7:55:17 PM permalink
Quote: Hullabaloo

Years ago I had a similar thought that I named "the 50% rule" which just points out that roughly half the population has an IQ below 100. Of course most are in the 90-110 range, as seen in the classic bell graph:

I in know way use that to malign anyone, but the 50% rule helped me to better understand and deal with everyday life.

For example, if you go into McDonald's and say "I'd like a large french fry please" and the counter person says to you "Would you like fries with that" then you have a pretty good idea you're dealing with someone who's probably on the backside of that chart.

To be fair, repeating the same dialogue over and over each day would tender just about anyone mindless.
RS
RS
  • Threads: 62
March 23rd, 2019 at 7:56:55 PM permalink
Damn big brother tracking what I'm reading on here......I got a Youtube recommended video and attached was a practice IQ test (kind of). At least it tells you how many you got correct. http://nzlweb.com/index.php

The end result said I have a good chance of being a Mensa person, which I'm pretty sure is a nice way of saying I'm not smart enough and dumb.
AxelWolf
AxelWolf
  • Threads: 164
March 23rd, 2019 at 8:14:10 PM permalink

I think that's a terrible example. They are just so used to saying "Would you like fries with that" it's just automatic no matter what someone orders.
♪♪Now you swear and kick and beg us That you're not a gamblin' man Then you find you're back in Vegas With a handle in your hand♪♪ Your black cards can make you money So you hide them when you're able In the land of casinos and money You must put them on the table♪♪ You go back Jack do it again roulette wheels turinin' 'round and 'round♪♪ You go back Jack do it again♪♪
Minty
Minty
March 23rd, 2019 at 8:18:25 PM permalink
Quote: AxelWolf

I think that's a terrible example. They are just so used to saying "Would you like fries with that" it's just automatic no matter what someone orders.

I was gonna say the same thing. When you work a mindless job like fast food, you occasionally become mindless yourself in the role.
EvenBob
EvenBob
March 23rd, 2019 at 8:35:41 PM permalink
Quote: RS

Damn big brother tracking what I'm reading on here......I got a Youtube recommended video and attached was a practice IQ test (kind of).

You know the test for true intelligence?
Never take those online IQ tests. Most
are just click bait and are meaningless.
(Your's wasn't but most of them are)
rxwine
rxwine
  • Threads: 209
March 23rd, 2019 at 8:39:45 PM permalink

I was gonna say the same thing. When you work a mindless job like fast food, you occasionally become mindless yourself in the role.

If you put a intelligent person in a very unchallenging environment they may underperform out of extreme boredom. They may do well at first if they are conscientious, but boredom will eventually drain the will and you will likely get a dysfunctional worker.
There's no secret. Just know what you're talking about before you open your mouth.
EvenBob
EvenBob
March 23rd, 2019 at 9:21:15 PM permalink
Here's a current event. Walmart has gotten
rid of all the disabled door greeters in their
stores. Mine has been gone for a month.

Joeman
Joeman 
  • Threads: 36
March 25th, 2019 at 6:17:35 AM permalink

It's also due to the fact that the mangers tell them to 'suggestive sell,' as in, "do you also want X with that?" Had a friend who worked at McD's during high school. He was very intelligent. He told me that suggested selling rarely produced extra sales, and mainly just annoyed people, but it is what the boss said to do; so he did it.
"Dealer has 'rock'... Pay 'paper!'"
ams288
ams288
March 25th, 2019 at 6:29:00 AM permalink

Here's a current event. Walmart has gotten
rid of all the disabled door greeters in their
stores. Mine has been gone for a month.

Last two times I've gone to Walmart they've had someone at the door scanning receipts as you leave.

I was like, "What do you think this is, Costco or something?!"
Boz
Boz
March 25th, 2019 at 6:35:50 AM permalink

Last two times I've gone to Walmart they've had someone at the door scanning receipts as you leave.

I was like, "What do you think this is, Costco or something?!"

Walmart has the highest shrink (Inventory loss) in the industry by far. It’s amazing it has taken them this long to publicly address it in a way customers see. Behind the scenes they have state of the art loss prevention measures but still struggle. And like most retailers, it’s an equal mix of internal and external theft.
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
  • Threads: 240
Thanked by
onenickelmiracleMinty
March 25th, 2019 at 7:29:28 AM permalink

To be fair, repeating the same dialogue over and over each day would tender just about anyone mindless.

Can't agree more. I live it when I deal BJ at a party night. At first it is nice and easy. After 60-90 minutes your ability to add the cards up drops to the level that people wonder if you should go learn by watching Sesame Street. To be fair, most players get and are polite about it. Same thing when I was a cashier. You dealt with numbers all day. Sometimes you looked at something and instantly forgot it. People thought you were stupid or on dope. But it is more like, "Hey, Bo, I've been dealing with meaningless numbers for hours. Try it and see how your mind holds up!"

Not to say there are not very low IQ folks you have to deal with there. Just that if you have not had this kind of job you cannot appreciate how such repetition numbs your brain.
All animals are equal, but some are more equal than others
EvenBob
EvenBob
March 25th, 2019 at 1:30:16 PM permalink
An attorney was just saying Avenatti has
far more than Nike to worry about. In
Calif the bank fraud and stealing from
a client will get him jail time for sure.
He has a small defense against the Nike
charges and no defense in Calif.

He'll go away for 3-5 in Calif, owe
a huge amount of money and be
disbarred. And this was once the
darling of the Left.

I remember the day he brought the
bimbo forward with her made up
story about Kavanaugh. A CNN info-
babe was jumping around in her
chair in excitement, grabbed his
arm and said "I thought I loved
you before, but I really love you now!"
Wonder how she feels now..
ams288
ams288
March 25th, 2019 at 1:55:44 PM permalink

I remember the day he brought the
bimbo forward with her made up
story about Kavanaugh. A CNN info-
babe was jumping around in her
chair in excitement, grabbed his
arm and said "I thought I loved
you before, but I really love you now!"
Wonder how she feels now..

I think you watch more CNN than any leftie alive. Certainly more than me.
EvenBob
EvenBob
Thanked by
petroglyph
March 25th, 2019 at 2:43:05 PM permalink

I think you watch more CNN than any leftie alive. Certainly more than me.

I just watch segments on Youtube,
I don't even know what channel
it's on with cable. I watch everything,
that's why I'm always better informed
than a lot of people here. They only
watch what they agree with.
terapined
terapined
  • Threads: 89
March 25th, 2019 at 3:43:42 PM permalink

CNN, Foxnews, MSNBC
I don't watch any of that junk
Its gotten to the point where its just a bunch of slanted talking heads.
Its become meaningless
Unless there is a breaking news story, I think its pointless to watch
I use google news aggregate to see what' going on in the world
AxelWolf
AxelWolf
  • Threads: 164
Thanked by
terapined
March 25th, 2019 at 3:49:05 PM permalink

Just curious, what does being "better informed" about all this nonsense get you out of life?
♪♪Now you swear and kick and beg us That you're not a gamblin' man Then you find you're back in Vegas With a handle in your hand♪♪ Your black cards can make you money So you hide them when you're able In the land of casinos and money You must put them on the table♪♪ You go back Jack do it again roulette wheels turinin' 'round and 'round♪♪ You go back Jack do it again♪♪
ams288
ams288
March 26th, 2019 at 8:39:18 AM permalink
TOLD YA he’d never see the inside of a jail cell!

AZDuffman
AZDuffman
Thanked by
RogerKintRSSOOPOOAxelWolf
March 26th, 2019 at 9:08:59 AM permalink
Jussie Smollett Criminal Case Dropped!!

Maybe it should read, "BLACK PRIVILEGE AT WORK!"

?
MaxPen
MaxPen
March 26th, 2019 at 9:31:03 AM permalink
It should be obvious that this was an orchestrated event with some very powerful people behind it from the get go. The left is trying to incite more racial tension by forcing Trump's DOJ to get involved.

AZDuffman
AZDuffman
March 26th, 2019 at 9:44:38 AM permalink

It should be obvious that this was an orchestrated event with some very powerful people behind it from the get go. The left is trying to incite more racial tension by forcing Trump's DOJ to get involved.

I can buy that. Both that they got him off and are trying to set up a snare-trap.

You have to wonder how serious the Chicago PD will take the next hate-crime complaint.
ams288
ams288
Thanked by
beachbumbabs
March 26th, 2019 at 10:23:37 AM permalink

You post nonsense like this and have the gall to constantly complain about the title of this thread being changed... lololol
  • Jump to: