Minty
Minty
  • Threads: 7
March 14th, 2019 at 10:30:09 AM permalink
Quote: AZDuffman

The thing about no-knock warrants is they have gotten out of hand. You never heard about them before the 1980s. Then the crack epidemic happened. You had crack houses getting set up in residential areas, making a menace of themselves and the neighborhoods unlivable. If the cops knocked then the crack would be flushed and no evidence there.

It made for getting the houses cleared out. Even the ones that stayed had to be way more subdued about what was going on inside. It made for even better TV. News shows along with "Cops" showed them going down. This made the public feel safer, that something was being done.

The usual slippery slope happened. No-knocks became more normal. Now we have militarized police who love the rush from kicking in doors in a raid. I heard of one place where a guy was on trial for killing a cop coming in his window on a raid when he was just sitting at home. In this case I would vote "not guilty" as that particular raid was very excessive.

Even if we legalize all drugs tomorrow, the cultural thing is there. Do you want to live next to a shooting gallery? Junkies will stay junkies under legal drugs. Same as tosspots in bad neighborhoods drink legal booze on the streets.

Militarized police will sadly remain, and because they have the equipment they will use it. Not going to change in our lifetimes. Best defense is an armed society as if cops are worried about the general population firing back.

I was with you till that last line. The problem is even well trained people make mistakes. Homeowners kill or injure their family with guns when they think there is a break in, a toddler shoots himself, a kid this it's a toy and shoots a friend on accident. I think gunowners are in a tough spot because the fun can be too accessible and dangerous that way or it can be locked up with the ammo and weapon separate and potentially useless in a crisis. I think police often go into situations expecting them to escalate, which makes them nervous and aggression a logo Al course of action for them. If the mindset and training was more about de-escalation, maybe we'd see more progress.

Note: I am not saying "Take everyone's guns away!" I just think the approach can be modified.
"Just because I'm not doing anything illegal, doesn't mean I won't have to defend myself someday." -Chip Reese
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
  • Threads: 240
March 14th, 2019 at 10:52:11 AM permalink
Quote: Minty

I was with you till that last line. The problem is even well trained people make mistakes. Homeowners kill or injure their family with guns when they think there is a break in, a toddler shoots himself, a kid this it's a toy and shoots a friend on accident. I think gunowners are in a tough spot because the fun can be too accessible and dangerous that way or it can be locked up with the ammo and weapon separate and potentially useless in a crisis. I think police often go into situations expecting them to escalate, which makes them nervous and aggression a logo Al course of action for them. If the mindset and training was more about de-escalation, maybe we'd see more progress.

Note: I am not saying "Take everyone's guns away!" I just think the approach can be modified.

Most of this rarely happens. Can someone be injured if someone thinks it is a break-in? Could, but probably so rare to not even be worth thinking about. Toddler shoots himself? I doubt more than a few times per year nationwide. Yes, things *can* happen. I could hit the lottery if I played. Lori Grenier could leave her husband for me. In reality, you just need to keep your gun secured away from the kids for all the safety you will need. The idea that someone is in a sound sleep and hears something, wakes up, and shoots their kids sneaking in late, that idea is in the heads of the likes of Michael Moore.

But to the last line you disagree with. I saw on TV once that AK is about the most armed state in the union. The cop on the show said this makes cops cautious about knocking down doors.
All animals are equal, but some are more equal than others
darkoz
darkoz 
  • Threads: 296
Thanked by
tringlomane
March 14th, 2019 at 11:04:20 AM permalink
Quote: AZDuffman

Most of this rarely happens. Can someone be injured if someone thinks it is a break-in? Could, but probably so rare to not even be worth thinking about. Toddler shoots himself? I doubt more than a few times per year nationwide. Yes, things *can* happen. I could hit the lottery if I played. Lori Grenier could leave her husband for me. In reality, you just need to keep your gun secured away from the kids for all the safety you will need. The idea that someone is in a sound sleep and hears something, wakes up, and shoots their kids sneaking in late, that idea is in the heads of the likes of Michael Moore.

But to the last line you disagree with. I saw on TV once that AK is about the most armed state in the union. The cop on the show said this makes cops cautious about knocking down doors.

Yeah who cares if a few toddlers a year shoot themselves accidentally. Not a major problem.

I am sure those toddlers wont even be missed.
For Whom the bus tolls; The bus tolls for thee
tringlomane
tringlomane
  • Threads: 8
March 14th, 2019 at 11:27:51 AM permalink
Quote: darkoz

Yeah who cares if a few toddlers a year shoot themselves accidentally. Not a major problem.

And it's closer to once a week, fwiw.

http://fortune.com/2016/05/02/toddler-guns/
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
  • Threads: 240
March 14th, 2019 at 11:43:28 AM permalink
Quote: darkoz

We are a nation of over 300 million people. We cannot stop everything because of a freak accident here or there. Things happen.
All animals are equal, but some are more equal than others
TigerWu
TigerWu
  • Threads: 25
March 14th, 2019 at 1:40:38 PM permalink
Quote: Ayecarumba

Do you honestly believe that "Aunt Becky" will do time in a federal prison?

I'm sure lots of people said the same thing about Martha Stewart....

Quote: gamerfreak

And I thought conservatives were all about small government too?

No, see, that's just a word game they play....

They want a "small" government, physically speaking. As in, a small number of people. But they want that small number of people to have a LOT of freaking power over everyone else.
KatrinaEspinal
KatrinaEspinal
  • Threads: 0
March 21st, 2019 at 5:56:06 PM permalink
It is rather interesting to know such fact that is described here. Thanks
onenickelmiracle
onenickelmiracle
  • Threads: 212
March 22nd, 2019 at 4:52:50 AM permalink
Of course I haven't heard about the people from foreign countries faking their way in because they faked it in China or wherever they are coming from. There are probably more foreign students admitted thanks to fraud than Americans.
I am a robot.
  • Jump to: