Thread Rating:

TigerWu
TigerWu
  • Threads: 26
April 6th, 2024 at 1:17:00 PM permalink
The Eagles are almost 50 years past their prime. I'd be surprised if they WEREN'T lip syncing everything.
terapined
terapined
  • Threads: 89
April 6th, 2024 at 2:16:32 PM permalink
Quote: TigerWu

The Eagles are almost 50 years past their prime. I'd be surprised if they WEREN'T lip syncing everything.
link to original post

I saw Stephen Stills Live about 10 years ago
He never had a great voice to start with and age hasn't helped.
It was atrocious but I appreciated the effort
Its just a forum. Nothing here to get obsessed about.
EvenBob
EvenBob
  • Threads: 441
April 6th, 2024 at 11:17:39 PM permalink
Look at this video of high school kids in the hallway at school from 1987. It's almost 40 years ago and what's the first things that you notice. Nobody is staring down at a phone. Nobody has a tattoo. But mostly there's no fat people. I watched this twice and did not see a single morbidly obese student. Today it would be about 30 to 40% of them. What the heck happened in the last 40 years. Plus these kids all look normal, they don't look like whack jobs like so many modern kids do.

"It's not called gambling if the math is on your side."
tuttigym
tuttigym
  • Threads: 10
Thanked by
terapined
April 7th, 2024 at 8:58:15 AM permalink
Quote: EvenBob

Look at this video of high school kids in the hallway at school from 1987. It's almost 40 years ago and what's the first things that you notice. Nobody is staring down at a phone. Nobody has a tattoo. But mostly there's no fat people. I watched this twice and did not see a single morbidly obese student. Today it would be about 30 to 40% of them. What the heck happened in the last 40 years. Plus these kids all look normal, they don't look like whack jobs like so many modern kids do.

link to original post

Another of EB's distorted misshapen world view posts. He apparently has forgotten the hippies and the other weird movements of the past. Rock and roll, the Beatles long hair and radical fashions of the 50's, 60's, and 70's. And BTW obesity has always been around.

The posted garbage keeps on coming.

tuttigym
EvenBob
EvenBob
April 7th, 2024 at 9:07:39 AM permalink
Quote: tuttigym

And BTW obesity has always been around.
tuttigym
link to original post

No kidding, what a revelation. Point being it wasn't prevalent in 1987 like it is today. Why would that be. What's different now that makes these kids balloon up like they belong in a sideshow circus. Examine this video again and find an obese student. There aren't any. I'm sure there were a few because every school has a few, but the bus stops I drive by today half the kids waiting are morbidly obese. What's happening now in their lives that wasn't happening in 1987.
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
  • Threads: 240
April 7th, 2024 at 5:11:15 PM permalink

link to original post

This would have been when I was in high school. We had a "fat kid" or three, but mostly not. When I was a junior or maybe a senior I forget which we had to give our weight for gym class. In the whole class there were maybe 3 guys over 200lbs and that was mostly because they were big frame dudes, again excepting the "fat kid." Tattoos at that age simply never. You did not have tattoo shops in every strip mall.

One thing is pop. We did not have vending machines when I was in school, the Coke machine did not work until after school hours.
All animals are equal, but some are more equal than others
TigerWu
TigerWu
April 7th, 2024 at 5:53:01 PM permalink

Nobody is staring down at a phone

Why would they be looking at technology that didn't exist yet?

Quote:

Nobody has a tattoo.

Why would they have tattoos? They're 15-18 years old.

link to original post

Dieter
Administrator
Dieter
  • Threads: 16
April 7th, 2024 at 5:58:38 PM permalink
I had to think for a minute. 1987 is two years before Nintendo released the Game Boy.

Sure, the Coleco Electronic Quarterback had been out for 9 years, but I don't recall it being much more exciting than a scientific calculator.

(Point... what exactly would they be looking down at?)
May the cards fall in your favor.
EvenBob
EvenBob
April 7th, 2024 at 6:59:08 PM permalink

Quote:

Nobody has a tattoo.

link to original post

link to original post

You mean I have to actually add the words 'unlike today' before you get it? Seriously?

"Unlike today, nobody is staring down at a phone. Unlike today, none of the students have a tattoo."

Get it now? Good grief. And yes high school students have tattoos, up to 25% of teens are tattooed.

"One increasingly popular form of self-expression for students in high school is through tattoos. Most schools accept tattoos as long as the subject matter doesn't violate their community standards."
EvenBob
EvenBob
April 7th, 2024 at 7:02:16 PM permalink
Quote: AZDuffman

link to original post

This would have been when I was in high school. We had a "fat kid" or three, but mostly not. When I was a junior or maybe a senior I forget which we had to give our weight for gym class. In the whole class there were maybe 3 guys over 200lbs and that was mostly because they were big frame dudes, again excepting the "fat kid." Tattoos at that age simply never. You did not have tattoo shops in every strip mall.

One thing is pop. We did not have vending machines when I was in school, the Coke machine did not work until after school hours.
link to original post

I was in high school 20 years before you and we had 1,000 students in four grades. I do not remember one morbidly obese kid, guy or girl, in the entire student body.
We had a teacher who probably weighed 300 lb and we constantly made fun of him. Everybody called him Mr Porky behind his back.
Hunterhill
Hunterhill
  • Threads: 53
April 7th, 2024 at 7:57:14 PM permalink
I was in high school in mid to late 70s 500 kids in my school I can only think of maybe 4 or 5 fat kids. Now they even try to normalize it and say it’s okay to be obese.
The mountain is tall but grass grows on top of the mountain.
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
April 8th, 2024 at 2:35:47 AM permalink

link to original post

link to original post

I was in high school 20 years before you and we had 1,000 students in four grades. I do not remember one morbidly obese kid, guy or girl, in the entire student body.
We had a teacher who probably weighed 300 lb and we constantly made fun of him. Everybody called him Mr Porky behind his back.
link to original post

Most schools then had 1-2 "fat kids" who were legit had some kind of problem. We had a fat teacher in 10th grade. He went on a crash program to lose weight as we saw him walking the track during his lunch period when we were in 12th grade. I bet he lost over 100lbs.
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
April 8th, 2024 at 1:21:17 PM permalink

Do you really not get the point being made?

Quote:

Quote:

Nobody has a tattoo.

Kids wanting and getting tattoos today is a thing, it was not then. That is the point.
TigerWu
TigerWu
April 8th, 2024 at 1:56:28 PM permalink

Please, enlighten me, what is the point being made. Because if smartphones were prolific in the 1980s, those kids would absolutely have their noses buried in them.

Quote:

Quote:

Nobody has a tattoo.

Quote:

Kids wanting and getting tattoos today is a thing, it was not then. That is the point.
link to original post

High school kids are not getting tattoos these days....LOL
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
April 8th, 2024 at 2:03:54 PM permalink

Please, enlighten me, what is the point being made. Because if smartphones were prolific in the 1980s, those kids would absolutely have their noses buried in them.

The point is how buried the youth of today are in their phones. That they live in their phones. Back then you had to actually talk to people.

As an example a few years back I needed artwork done for a logo for my business cards. After a few emails I wanted to actually talk to people. One girl said, "well, I would rather just email as I am not good on the phone." Huh? You cannot talk to someone? Today's youth have far too many like that. And that is what the point is.

EB, if you had a different point please advise.....

Quote:

link to original post

Quote: simple google search

Studies have shown that an estimated 10-23 percent of adolescents have tattoos and 27-42 percent had body piercings. Among high school students who don't already have a tattoo, more than 50 percent said they are interested in getting one.

EvenBob
EvenBob
Thanked by
Hunterhill
April 8th, 2024 at 3:48:16 PM permalink

Quote:

Quote:

Nobody has a tattoo.

Quote:

link to original post

link to original post

On planet Earth in American high schools they are certainly getting tattoos.
https://wizardofvegas.com/forum/off-topic/off-topic/32560-i-love-youtube/3/#post923065
DRich
DRich
  • Threads: 86
April 8th, 2024 at 4:49:59 PM permalink

https://wizardofvegas.com/forum/off-topic/off-topic/32560-i-love-youtube/3/#post923065
]

I believe most states require you to be 18 to get a tattoo.
At my age, a "Life In Prison" sentence is not much of a deterrent.
DRich
DRich
April 8th, 2024 at 4:51:15 PM permalink

link to original post

I just saw that ELO is touring again, I doubt they can walk.
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
April 8th, 2024 at 5:02:37 PM permalink
Quote: DRich

]

link to original post

Can You Get a Tattoo with Parental Consent? The following states prohibit tattooing minors – Alaska, Arkansas, California, District of Columbia, Maine, Mississippi, New York, Rhode Island, North Carolina, and South Carolina. Most other states allow minors to get tattoos if they get parental consent.Jun 16, 2022

Dieter
Administrator
Dieter
  • Threads: 16
April 8th, 2024 at 5:16:33 PM permalink

]

link to original post

As I understand, unlicensed tattoo artists don't check ID.
May the cards fall in your favor.
DRich
DRich
April 8th, 2024 at 6:30:16 PM permalink

Can You Get a Tattoo with Parental Consent? The following states prohibit tattooing minors – Alaska, Arkansas, California, District of Columbia, Maine, Mississippi, New York, Rhode Island, North Carolina, and South Carolina. Most other states allow minors to get tattoos if they get parental consent.Jun 16, 2022

Wow, that surprises me. I haven't been in High School for 40 years. Any idea what percentage of High School kids have tattoos? I imagine it is still pretty small.
TigerWu
TigerWu
April 8th, 2024 at 7:11:42 PM permalink
I just spent more time than I care to admit looking at videos of high school students on YouTube (hopefully that doesn't put me on some kind of list). Here's a few examples from high schools in the last five-ish years. I see very few cell phones, no tattoos, no morbid obesity, and everyone looks totally normal and not like "whack jobs." Makes me wonder what kind of high schools EvenBob is hanging out in, and more importantly, why.

There are plenty of these kinds of videos on YouTube of modern day high school. I picked these three at random because they seemed to show decent "random" scenes throughout the day.

P.S., I also found plenty of videos of high school kids from the '80s and '90s, and it's all just more of the same.
EvenBob
EvenBob
April 8th, 2024 at 9:42:36 PM permalink

I just spent more time than I care to admit looking at videos of high school students on YouTube (hopefully that doesn't put me on some kind of list). Here's a few examples from high schools in the last five-ish years.
link to original post

It's amazing what you can find to bolster your confirmation bias if you look hard enough. You could even prove that the Earth is flat and we never went to the Moon. Keep looking, maybe you'll find Bigfoot. Here's the truth, like it or don't. "According to the CDC, 22.2% of children and adolescents aged 12–19 are obese. This is more than 1 in 5 adolescents." in the 1970s it was 5%. Up to 25% of teenagers today have tattoos. 50% say they want tattoos. And if you've never seen a group of teenagers with every single one of them staring down at their phones, you really need to get out more.
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
April 9th, 2024 at 4:14:15 AM permalink

Wow, that surprises me. I haven't been in High School for 40 years. Any idea what percentage of High School kids have tattoos? I imagine it is still pretty small.
link to original post

Do a google search to find out like I did.
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
April 9th, 2024 at 4:43:57 AM permalink

I just spent more time than I care to admit looking at videos of high school students on YouTube (hopefully that doesn't put me on some kind of list). Here's a few examples from high schools in the last five-ish years.
link to original post

It's amazing what you can find to bolster your confirmation bias if you look hard enough. You could even prove that the Earth is flat and we never went to the Moon. Keep looking, maybe you'll find Bigfoot. Here's the truth, like it or don't. "According to the CDC, 22.2% of children and adolescents aged 12–19 are obese. This is more than 1 in 5 adolescents." in the 1970s it was 5%. Up to 25% of teenagers today have tattoos. 50% say they want tattoos. And if you've never seen a group of teenagers with every single one of them staring down at their phones, you really need to get out more.
link to original post

The tattoo culture seems to have started in the 1990s and just keeps getting stronger. Thus I believe the 50% feature completely. The USA military used to have strict no-tattoo policies for recruits. I had a roommate was in back probably 80s and all the guys in his platoon got them one weekend except him. He was the only guy not confined and punished the following weekend. Today they could never come near making their numbers with a strict policy like that. Same guy was in a motorcycle repair class that had a "cover them up" rule in class. Said guys grumbled and as soon as they were on break they rolled their sleeves back up to show them.

I keep waiting for the removal business to skyrocket but it has yet to do so. The appear here to stay until we get a generation does not want their parent's tattoos.

As to phones, kids glued to them is legendary. Lots of other people too, but kids the most.
terapined
terapined
  • Threads: 89
April 12th, 2024 at 10:42:19 PM permalink
One of my favorite youtube channels
I binge watch episodes
Its just a forum. Nothing here to get obsessed about.
DRich
DRich
April 13th, 2024 at 5:10:05 AM permalink
Quote: terapined

One of my favorite youtube channels
I binge watch episodes

I think I have seen every episode of Air Disasters.
  • Jump to: