1 vote (7.69%)
2 votes (15.38%)
4 votes (30.76%)

13 members have voted

billryan
billryan
  • Threads: 154
December 6th, 2018 at 2:10:46 PM permalink
What the heck were they playing as they removed the coffin from the train?. It seemed pretty inappropriate. It seemed like an original piece interlaced with some 1940s swing. At one point, the refrain of " hot time in the old town tonight." was obvious.
beachbumbabs
Administrator
beachbumbabs
  • Threads: 97
December 7th, 2018 at 6:13:10 AM permalink
Quote: billryan

What the heck were they playing as they removed the coffin from the train?. It seemed pretty inappropriate. It seemed like an original piece interlaced with some 1940s swing. At one point, the refrain of " hot time in the old town tonight." was obvious.

Our best guess was the Aggie fight song. But we didn't recognize it either.

I have to assume the Bush family gave them a playlist, and those were some of his favorite happy tunes. Which means stuff popular in or before the 40s, with him being 94, probably.

I also got the "hot time in the old town tonight" refrain. I thought it was kind of ironic as it made me think of hell. But for all we know, it was his and Bar's favorite tune from when they were dating.

Edit: Yeah, I found a reference in several stories prior to the event. It was planned, and it was the Texas A&M band playing the Aggie War Hymn (after Ruffles and Flourishes, aka Hail to the Chief).

Last edited by: beachbumbabs on Dec 7, 2018
If the House lost every hand, they wouldn't deal the game.
RonC
RonC
  • Threads: 39
December 7th, 2018 at 7:17:07 AM permalink

It was the "Aggie War Hymn" and it was totally appropriate based on his arrival at Texas A&M and his wishes. Each President is intimately involved in the arrangement of their own funeral. The President and those closest to him make these plans; Presidents start to plan these events early in their Presidency and modify them along the way.

"Ruffles and Flourishes" is part of rendering honors to distinguished persons. That is the fanfare before the designated music is played.

"Ruffles and Flourishes - Ruffles are played on drums and flourishes on bugles. They are sounded together, once for each star of the general officer being honored or according to the title or office held. Four ruffles and flourishes are the highest honor and are played for presidents."

“Hail to the Chief” - Traditional musical honors played for the president and former presidents of the United States.

https://www.usstatefuneral.mdw.army.mil/about-state-funerals/military-honors-for-former-presidents

Here is one protocol list for anyone interested: http://airforcewives.com/index.php/protocol-mainmenu-264/army-protocol-mainmenu-286/112-protocol/air-force-protocol/1111-table-of-honors-19-20
billryan
billryan
  • Threads: 154
December 7th, 2018 at 8:03:46 AM permalink
Seeing as 99 percent of the viewing audience probably has no idea what an aggie is, you can understand the confusion.
You go from the solemn Flourish into a bolero, with riffs from popular music and you are going to get some head scratching.
It's a pretty cool song. I'd never heard it before, but listened to it via Alexa after the funeral. It was very strange watching the flag draped casket and hearing "it's a hot time in the old town tonight".

Was there an explanation for why they used a truck at the airport instead of a hearse?
RonC
RonC
  • Threads: 39
December 7th, 2018 at 9:00:18 AM permalink

Was there an explanation for why they used a truck at the airport instead of a hearse?

I saw the truck used for loading to and unloading from the cabin of the aircraft, but not for movement of the casket other than that...but I did not watch every second of the proceedings.

• Jump to: