Romes
Romes
  • Threads: 26
July 16th, 2018 at 8:20:56 AM permalink
I've known a few people to go through, or 'try' to go through the immigration process. It's a nightmare, even before this current administration made it 100x worse. As you denoted in your earlier posts. You've been living here for how long, done everything you could, and even got Boz's seal of approval of someone we WANT in the country, and yet you still have to pay a good portion up front and your status is SUPPOSEDLY going to be pending for another couple YEARS. How ridiculous is that... With my other friends experience all I can say is they had numerous other issues 'pop up' that required more and more money and more and more forms in those 2 years you have to wait, eventually pushing them back another few years. It took well over 7 years for one of them and the other (last I heard) was on hold for 10+ years (haven't talked to them in a while no idea what happened).

Not only was our immigration system broke, but now that it's spearheaded by an administration that is blatantly racist, sexist, and has fear of non christian religions I can't imagine what people coming here LEGALLY must have to go through... and what people whom live here on green cards / sponsorships from companies have to FEAR in their every day lives about being deported.
Playing it correctly means you've already won.
Boz
Boz
  • Threads: 153
July 16th, 2018 at 9:41:23 AM permalink
Quote: beachbumbabs

I think the entire US Congress should be put out of office. They have completely abdicated their responsibilities for ensuring competence in confirmations, stayed silent on damaging and controversial Trump actions and outbursts, and sold themselves to the corporations and lobbyists.

I am ashamed of them all.

And that is why I really think you should consider voting for the next Great Senator from Florida, the Honorable Rick Scott.

Sorry, had to get you going today, if you are not already. Have a Great Day!
beachbumbabs
Administrator
beachbumbabs
  • Threads: 97
July 16th, 2018 at 10:17:58 AM permalink
Quote: Boz

And that is why I really think you should consider voting for the next Great Senator from Florida, the Honorable Rick Scott.

Oh, I'm going. Traitor Trump proved it today with his own lying lips.
If the House lost every hand, they wouldn't deal the game.
RonC
RonC
  • Threads: 39
July 16th, 2018 at 10:44:37 AM permalink
Quote: beachbumbabs

I think the entire US Congress should be put out of office. They have completely abdicated their responsibilities for ensuring competence in confirmations, stayed silent on damaging and controversial Trump actions and outbursts, and sold themselves to the corporations and lobbyists.

I am ashamed of them all.

It is funny you just stop at "damaging and controversial Trump actions and outbursts"--he may be the King of outburst but it is like all those before him didn't take over powers ceded to them by the Congress. It has been going on for a long time.
Hullabaloo
Hullabaloo
  • Threads: 12
July 16th, 2018 at 11:05:49 AM permalink
This may or may not impact you but I just read it and thought it was pertinent to the conversation anyway.

https://www.thestar.com/vancouver/2018/07/05/canadian-cannabis-workers-targeted-by-us-border-guards-for-lifetime-bans.html

An excerpt:

Quote:

And it’s not just dispensary workers, cannabis growers and cannabis users who are being denied entry.

Jay Evans, CEO of agricultural equipment manufacturer Keirton Inc., was crossing into the U.S. in early April along with two employees, both engineers with Nexus passes and spotless criminal records.

They’d intended to meet with an American company to begin design work on a new machine that would streamline labour costs for cannabis producers.

“We had not yet designed the product, we had not yet marketed the product and we’d not yet sold the product,” Evans said in an interview.

During routine questioning, one of the three men mentioned their design would eventually be used in the Canadian cannabis industry, and they were immediately taken into the secondary inspection facility for further scrutiny.

Keirton is not involved with the production, distribution or sale of cannabis. But because its equipment is explicitly intended to be used by people who are, Evans and his colleagues were told after a six-hour interview they were “drug traffickers” according to U.S. federal law.

“The border guard supervisor told me he felt really bad, and felt it wasn’t right, and had a lot of empathy toward us,” Evans said.

Nevertheless, Evans and his coworkers now have lifetime bans on entering the United States, and must obtain waivers allowing them temporary entry into the country.

dogqck
dogqck
  • Threads: 1
July 16th, 2018 at 12:56:45 PM permalink
Quote: gamerfreak

Usually they are summary offenses. Less than a misdemeanor.

For a subsequent offense, or a reentry (or attempted reentry) after exclusion or deportation, the person can be fined or imprisoned for up to two years, or both. (See 8 U.S.C. Section 1325, 1326, I.N.A. Section 275, 276.) This is considered a low-level felony under federal law (18 U.S.C.A. § 3559).

http://www.alllaw.com/articles/nolo/us-immigration/crime-enter-illegally.html
Face
Administrator
Face 
  • Threads: 49
Thanks for this post from:
rsactuary
July 16th, 2018 at 1:13:04 PM permalink
First boymimbo, then rs,... before I miss out on another opportunity, a marriage license in NY is like $40. Toss me a hundo for wasting a day on paperwork and you're in.

Thanks for the thread, rsanctuary. I always find it interesting to see in practice the theories we argue endlessly. Very interesting, IMO. And kinda hilarious, in a very terrible way. I'm just old enough to remember when going to CAN was about as difficult as going to a bar. Small wait at the entrance, an ID check, add two sentences (where ya going, when ya back) and you were in. Pretty sad to let a handful of f#$%wits make us a nation of scared little children.

Good luck to ya.
The opinions of this moderator are for entertainment purposes only.
Steverinos
Steverinos
  • Threads: 5
beachbumbabs
July 16th, 2018 at 1:18:23 PM permalink
Quote: Boz

If by honorable, you mean, overseeing one of the largest medicare frauds in history, then yeah...
billryan
billryan
  • Threads: 149
July 16th, 2018 at 2:02:46 PM permalink
Quote: Steverinos

If by honorable, you mean, overseeing one of the largest medicare frauds in history, then yeah...

If it puts a few bucks in his pocket,......
Boz
Boz
  • Threads: 153
RogerKint
July 16th, 2018 at 4:07:23 PM permalink
Quote: Steverinos

Babs, there is a rule here against having a puppet.

Before I get banned, I’m JUST kidding.

• Jump to: