Lucca3927
Lucca3927
Joined: Aug 5, 2017
  • Threads: 17
  • Posts: 128
Thanks for this post from:
troopscott
May 6th, 2018 at 11:39:40 AM permalink
I'm a former crap dealer. Some casinos will recommend a dealer school for you. Something simple, like Yelp or Indeed will word just as well.

FYI, the cardinal rule of dealing craps is to collect the losing bets first and, when you're the stick man, never take your eyes off of the dice.
"I should have bet black." - Winston Churchill .
Nathan
Nathan
Joined: Sep 2, 2016
  • Threads: 65
  • Posts: 3430
May 6th, 2018 at 11:42:56 AM permalink
Is it just me or does the idea of a dealer school seem a bit ludicrous? What's wrong with the Casino themselves training you on the spot to become a dealer?
Last edited by: Nathan on May 6, 2018
In both The Hunger Games and in gambling, may the odds be ever in your favor. :D "Man Babes" #AxelFabulous "Olive oil is processed but it only has one ingredient, olive oil."-Even Bob, March 27/28th. :D The 2 year war is over! Woo-hoo! :D I sometimes speak in metaphors. ;) Remember this. ;) Crack the code. :D 8.9.13.25.14.1.13.5.9.19.14.1.20.8.1.14! :D "For about the 4096th time, let me offer a radical idea to those of you who don't like Nathan -- block her and don't visit Nathan's Corner. What is so complicated about it?" Wizard, August 21st. :D
AZDuffman
AZDuffman 
Joined: Nov 2, 2009
  • Threads: 221
  • Posts: 11761
May 6th, 2018 at 11:57:27 AM permalink
Quote: Nathan

Is it just me or does the idea of a dealer school seem a bit ludicrous? What's wrong with the Casino themselves training you on the spot to become a dealer? Thanks



In some markets they do due to lack of other options. But most skilled jobs require you to get most of your training on your own. In a market like LV, all the casino would be doing is training for the competition. Put another way, as I once told a co-worker who kept looking for someone to "train him in computers," --why should someone invest in you when you have not invested in yourself first?
All animals are equal, but some are more equal than others
Nathan
Nathan
Joined: Sep 2, 2016
  • Threads: 65
  • Posts: 3430
May 6th, 2018 at 12:07:45 PM permalink
Quote: AZDuffman

In some markets they do due to lack of other options. But most skilled jobs require you to get most of your training on your own. In a market like LV, all the casino would be doing is training for the competition. Put another way, as I once told a co-worker who kept looking for someone to "train him in computers," --why should someone invest in you when you have not invested in yourself first?



Oh my God. I don't know how the "Thanks," ended up in my question. Damn auto correct! I have edited out the word "Thanks,"
In both The Hunger Games and in gambling, may the odds be ever in your favor. :D "Man Babes" #AxelFabulous "Olive oil is processed but it only has one ingredient, olive oil."-Even Bob, March 27/28th. :D The 2 year war is over! Woo-hoo! :D I sometimes speak in metaphors. ;) Remember this. ;) Crack the code. :D 8.9.13.25.14.1.13.5.9.19.14.1.20.8.1.14! :D "For about the 4096th time, let me offer a radical idea to those of you who don't like Nathan -- block her and don't visit Nathan's Corner. What is so complicated about it?" Wizard, August 21st. :D
FleaStiff
FleaStiff
Joined: Oct 19, 2009
  • Threads: 265
  • Posts: 14433
May 6th, 2018 at 1:04:27 PM permalink
some casinos hold job fairs and provide training but its in limited markets, not Vegas.

All schools PROMISE to help with auditions/referrals but few can really provide anything more than inviting some break in joint to schedule a group interview or some such nonsense.

An online school might be good but how will they see your hands???
AZDuffman
AZDuffman 
Joined: Nov 2, 2009
  • Threads: 221
  • Posts: 11761
May 6th, 2018 at 1:12:40 PM permalink
Quote: FleaStiff


All schools PROMISE to help with auditions/referrals but few can really provide anything more than inviting some break in joint to schedule a group interview or some such nonsense.



Do any community colleges in NV offer classes? Seems that they might have more pull to get someone an audition, though in a market like LV at best it will still be a break-in joint no matter what,

When I was in class part way thru some guy who was a dealer other places showed up as he wanted to be on an opening crew. He said he went to Vegas but soon found out that even today you need serious juice and even cash to get a strip gig.
All animals are equal, but some are more equal than others
RS
RS
Joined: Feb 11, 2014
  • Threads: 62
  • Posts: 8623
May 6th, 2018 at 3:56:07 PM permalink
You don't need to go to dealer school to get hired, at least in LV. You can do a live audition at many break-in houses, I recommend calling them and asking if and when they do auditions. If you have experience and want to work at a non-break-in house, then put in an application at whichever casino, and list your experience.

But I certainly don't recommend auditioning on a craps game if you don't have any experience dealing craps. Same goes for any other game, for that matter.
AZDuffman
AZDuffman 
Joined: Nov 2, 2009
  • Threads: 221
  • Posts: 11761
May 6th, 2018 at 3:58:27 PM permalink
Quote: RS

You don't need to go to dealer school to get hired, at least in LV. You can do a live audition at many break-in houses, I recommend calling them and asking if and when they do auditions. If you have experience and want to work at a non-break-in house, then put in an application at whichever casino, and list your experience.

But I certainly don't recommend auditioning on a craps game if you don't have any experience dealing craps. Same goes for any other game, for that matter.



Gaming control board does not have a requirement?
All animals are equal, but some are more equal than others
GlenG
GlenG
Joined: Feb 5, 2018
  • Threads: 11
  • Posts: 410
May 6th, 2018 at 4:02:51 PM permalink
Quote: RS

You don't need to go to dealer school to get hired, at least in LV. You can do a live audition at many break-in houses, I recommend calling them and asking if and when they do auditions. If you have experience and want to work at a non-break-in house, then put in an application at whichever casino, and list your experience.



The best thing to do in Vegas is showing up to the casino in White Button up & Black Pants with a resume and talk to the Shift Mgr. When i was job hunting out here, thats what I did..got 4 auditions (All Strip Properties), ended up getting the job at the place I wanted. The Low-Mid Tiered MGM Properties and most Non-Ceasers casinos will do auditions on request if the Shift Mgr thinks you qualify and they are hiring.
RS
RS
Joined: Feb 11, 2014
  • Threads: 62
  • Posts: 8623
May 6th, 2018 at 4:20:04 PM permalink
Quote: AZDuffman

Gaming control board does not have a requirement?


There's no requirement from gaming, no. You could just have someone privately teach you, or if you can figure it out -- teach yourself.

Once you do get hired, you have to pass a background check and get fingerprinted, though.

  • Jump to: