lilredrooster
lilredrooster
  • Threads: 232
March 21st, 2018 at 2:30:34 AM permalink
SOURCES SOURCES SOURCES SOURCES SOURCES SOURCES

Here is a comprehensive list of assaults by Uber and Lyft drivers in this order:

1. Deaths
2. Assaults
3. Sexual Assaults
4. Kidnappings
5. Felons
6. Imposters
7. Other serious incidents

Under the category of sexual assaults more than 100 incidents are listed. IDK maybe they missed a few.

Who wants to be the first to step up and call it fake news?

http://www.whosdrivingyou.org/rideshare-incidents
Please don't feed the trolls
GWAE
GWAE
  • Threads: 93
March 21st, 2018 at 2:34:33 AM permalink
So what, you have bad things happening at church, school, work, and various other places.
Expect the worst and you will never be disappointed. I AM NOT PART OF GWAE RADIO SHOW
lilredrooster
lilredrooster
March 21st, 2018 at 2:38:18 AM permalink
Quote: GWAE

So what, you have bad things happening at church, school, work, and various other places.

in previous posts you mentioned you had children

I'm sure you know, that as we write, there are thousands of pedophiles trolling the net looking for new, naive victims. are you going to say so what to that?

and no, I'm not going to provide sources for that info. that would be ridiculous.
GWAE
GWAE
March 21st, 2018 at 2:42:16 AM permalink
Quote: lilredrooster

I'm sure you know, that as we write, there are thousands of pedophiles trolling the net looking for new, naive victims. are you going to say so what to that?

and no, I'm not going to provide sources for that info. that would be ridiculous.

My point is that there are problems everywhere. Does that mean I shouldn't get gas because the attendant might be a felon or they shouldn't get on the school bus because someone might be drunk driving and run into the bus?
Expect the worst and you will never be disappointed. I AM NOT PART OF GWAE RADIO SHOW
lilredrooster
lilredrooster
March 21st, 2018 at 2:43:41 AM permalink

my point is that this is what technology has done to us.

welcome to our brave new world.

when I was a child I was advised not to take candy from strangers.

but I never EVEN HEARD of EVEN ONE assault on a child by an adult until I was in my 20s. I'm sure there were some that were not publicized.

but just look at us now.
Nathan
Nathan 
  • Threads: 66
March 21st, 2018 at 2:49:17 AM permalink
I have heard of customers doing bad things to LYFT drivers. I was told directly, (Second hand knowledge, yay! ;)) by another LYFT driver that another customer stole his wife's makeup bag that had her cash and credit cards. She was a LYFT driver herself and it was her own customer. She went to her house to get her makeup bag back and the thief cussed her out and refused to give her her makeup bag back. The LYFT driver reported the thief or the thief reported the LYFT driver and LYFT told the driver that she was in the wrong for going to the customer's house and she was suspended for a few days IIRC. So messed up. Wronged more than once. Felt so bad for her. :(
In both The Hunger Games and in gambling, may the odds be ever in your favor. :D "Man Babes" #AxelFabulous "Olive oil is processed but it only has one ingredient, olive oil."-Even Bob, March 27/28th. :D The 2 year war is over! Woo-hoo! :D I sometimes speak in metaphors. ;) Remember this. ;) Crack the code. :D 8.9.13.25.14.1.13.5.9.19.14.1.20.8.1.14! :D "For about the 4096th time, let me offer a radical idea to those of you who don't like Nathan -- block her and don't visit Nathan's Corner. What is so complicated about it?" Wizard, August 21st. :D
GWAE
GWAE
March 21st, 2018 at 2:49:27 AM permalink

my point is that this is what technology has done to us.

welcome to our brave new world.

when I was a child I was advised not to take candy from strangers.

but I never EVEN HEARD of EVEN ONE assault on a child by an adult until I was in my 20s. I'm sure there were some that were not publicized.

but just look at us now.

There also wasn't social media not the internet. How would you have heard of it before? Word of mouth and newspaper? I am sure bad things were happening just the same.
GWAE
GWAE
March 21st, 2018 at 2:51:22 AM permalink
Quote: Nathan

I have heard of customers doing bad things to LYFT drivers. I was told directly, (Second hand knowledge, yay! ;)) by another LYFT driver that a customer stole his wifriver's makeup bag that had her cash and credit cards. She went to her house to get her makeup bag back and the thief cussed her out and refused to give her her makeup bag back. The LYFT driver reported the thief or the thief reported the LYFT driver and LYFT told the driver that she was in the wrong for going to the customer's house and she was suspended for a few days IIRC. So messed up. Wronged more than once. Felt so bad for her. :(

Lyft driver was wrong here if they went to the house. Call the police and let them few with it. Is anything good ever going to come from going to the house?
lilredrooster
lilredrooster
March 21st, 2018 at 3:15:46 AM permalink

There also wasn't social media not the internet. How would you have heard of it before? Word of mouth and newspaper? I am sure bad things were happening just the same.

you would have heard of some of it. word of mouth is very powerful. before printing the Bible was transmitted by word of mouth.

you are probably right that there was a fair amount of this type of crime back in the day.

but not anywhere near as much. the net has emboldened and empowered the predators. they have support groups. it's easy for them now.

just like it's way easier to gamble now and there are many thousands more gamblers than before its' widespread prevalence.

the way most people see it is they think - tech is great for me - I'm not a naive person, I'm street smart - I don't have to worry

if it hurts others they don't lose much sleep about it. They're mainly concerned with it being great for them.
Last edited by: lilredrooster on Mar 21, 2018
sabre
sabre
  • Threads: 3
March 21st, 2018 at 3:41:52 AM permalink

but not anywhere near as much. the net has emboldened and empowered the predators. they have support groups. it's easy for them now.

I think there's less crime now since it's easy to publicize.

I'm right, and you're wrong.
Nathan
Nathan 
March 21st, 2018 at 3:43:05 AM permalink

Lyft driver was wrong here if they went to the house. Call the police and let them few with it. Is anything good ever going to come from going to the house?

You actually blame the driver in this situation? I mean it's natural to want your credit cards and cash back immediately! I would go to the customer's house to to get my stuff back!
In both The Hunger Games and in gambling, may the odds be ever in your favor. :D "Man Babes" #AxelFabulous "Olive oil is processed but it only has one ingredient, olive oil."-Even Bob, March 27/28th. :D The 2 year war is over! Woo-hoo! :D I sometimes speak in metaphors. ;) Remember this. ;) Crack the code. :D 8.9.13.25.14.1.13.5.9.19.14.1.20.8.1.14! :D "For about the 4096th time, let me offer a radical idea to those of you who don't like Nathan -- block her and don't visit Nathan's Corner. What is so complicated about it?" Wizard, August 21st. :D
lilredrooster
lilredrooster
March 21st, 2018 at 3:57:25 AM permalink
Quote: sabre

I think there's less crime now since it's easy to publicize.

I'm right, and you're wrong.

crime overall - you might be right.

but I was writing about the increase in pedophilia and sexual assaults on juveniles because the internet has made it easy.

so, are you going to tell me there's less pedophilia and sexual assaults on juveniles now?

don't even try.
GWAE
GWAE
March 21st, 2018 at 4:28:34 AM permalink

You actually blame the driver in this situation? I mean it's natural to want your credit cards and cash back immediately! I would go to the customer's house to to get my stuff back!

And that's how people get killed. Someone steals your stuff so they are already showing they are a criminal, why would you confront them.
gamerfreak
gamerfreak
  • Threads: 57
March 21st, 2018 at 6:41:47 AM permalink

but I was writing about the increase in pedophilia and sexual assaults on juveniles because the internet has made it easy.

so, are you going to tell me there's less pedophilia and sexual assaults on juveniles now?

don't even try.

Yes.

You are feeding into the “back in the good ol’ days” hysteria that every generation of cynics has preached. You have so much more access to news and information and scary rhetorics, but just because you are hearing about these things more often does not mean the world is going to Hell in a handbasket. Crime has not increased, access to information has.

By every objective metric, crime rates, medical advancements etc, this is BY FAR the best time in human history to be alive. There is far less human suffering today than any other point in history.

Just because YOU remember your childhood years as being a better time doesn’t mean the were. HINT: everyone feels that way. Being an adult blows chunks.

Here’s your source:
Quote:

From 1990 to 2007, substantiated cases of child sexual abuse have declined 53% and physical abuse substantiations have declined 52%. Child neglect has declined only 6%, mostly fluctuating over the same perio

http://unh.edu/ccrc/Trends/index.html
lilredrooster
lilredrooster
March 21st, 2018 at 6:59:19 AM permalink
Quoted source from gamerfreak:

"From 1990 to 2007, substantiated cases of child sexual abuse have declined 53% and physical abuse substantiations have declined 52%. Child neglect has declined only 6%, mostly fluctuating over the same period"

your statistic tracks 1990 thru 2007. and how about 2007-2017?

how about comparing 2007 - 2017 to 1950 - 1960.

if you can show me a credible statistic that indicates it is down compared to these and succeeding decades then I will concede that I am mistaken and I will also be very, very surprised.

allow me an anecdote. In 1964 I was a child living in a highly populated suburb just outside of DC, actually walking distance to DC.

our family didn't always lock our doors before going to sleep. sometimes we did but if we forgot it was no big deal.

Do you lock your doors when you go to sleep?

My folks aren't around to ask but I'd be willing to bet that in the 12 years they lived in DC before moving to the suburbs that they didn't diligently lock their doors at night then either.

Do you think people lock their doors at night in DC now?

so you say life is better now.

allow me one more anecdote.

my grandfather had a fairly nice house, 5 children and his wife did not work; she was very busy with the kids and housework.

he had only a tiny little job - working as a laborer in a zipper factory.

there was very little in government benefits back then - almost nothing

how would life be now for a man with 5 kids with a tiny little job whose wife didn't work?

pretty sweet?
Last edited by: lilredrooster on Mar 21, 2018
Romes
Romes
  • Threads: 29
March 21st, 2018 at 7:42:11 AM permalink
Sigh...

Uber, as of 07/01/17, has given 5 billion rides.
Lyft, as of 10/19/17 has given 500 million rides.

https://www.uber.com/en-SG/blog/uber-hits-5-billion-rides-milestone/
https://expandedramblings.com/index.php/lyft-statistics/

This gives us a total amount of rides (as of 2017, and rounding down since neither go through december) of 5,500,000,000 rides.

In the article you posted, I'm adding up ALL incidents to get a grand total of: 48+91+362+16+22+97 = 636. Let's go ahead and round up for "other incidents" which aren't totaled but are probably 100-200, so let's be GENEROUS and round up to 1,000 COMBINED, since inception, incidents of ALL natures.

So what's your odds of having something happen to you in an Uber/Lyft? 1,000/5,500,000,000 = .00000018, or about 1 in 5,500,000. Let's compare that to other ways one could die THAT NO ONE SEEMS TO FREAK OUT ABOUT ON A DAILY BASIS:

You have better odds of dying:
1) Accidental Poisoning = 1/96
2) All Motor Vehicle Accidents = 1/114
3) Assault by Fire Arm = 1/370
4) Fire/Smoke/Flames = 1/1498
5) Fall from stairs/steps = 1/1771
6) Drowning in swimming pool = 1/5772
7) Air/space transport = 1/9821
8) Earthquake/similar = 1/47,051
9) Lightening = 1/161,856
10) Flood = 1/505,801

https://www.iii.org/fact-statistic/facts-statistics-mortality-risk

You are 34x more likely to be hit by lightening, than have ANY KIND OF incident in an Uber/Lyft. lol this is why I talk about "misleading" information when you say Uber/Lyft aren't safe or that they're making the world a more dangerous place. That's just flat out, WRONG.

I'm not saying it 'never' happens. I'm not saying it maybe didn't happen to you or someone you know. I'm not saying we shouldn't do ALL WE CAN (which might be more than now) to prevent it from ever happening again... but what I am saying is it's 100% factually wrong to say Uber/Lyft aren't safe, in regards to sexual assault or ANY other kind of incident. They are so much safer than just about everything you do in your daily life it's ridiculous.
Playing it correctly means you've already won.
lilredrooster
lilredrooster
March 21st, 2018 at 7:46:19 AM permalink
Romes: I don't read your posts anymore.

your writing has a haughty air about it.

you talk down to people.

I don't accept you as a person who can educate me.
Romes
Romes
March 21st, 2018 at 7:49:35 AM permalink

you talk down to people.

Ah, the old "na na na not listening" argument when I posted 3 different links to educate you, instead of my words.

Classic.
sabre
sabre
  • Threads: 3
March 21st, 2018 at 8:09:09 AM permalink

Hello Mr. Pot.
gamerfreak
gamerfreak
March 21st, 2018 at 9:29:04 AM permalink

Quoted source from gamerfreak:

"From 1990 to 2007, substantiated cases of child sexual abuse have declined 53% and physical abuse substantiations have declined 52%. Child neglect has declined only 6%, mostly fluctuating over the same period"

your statistic tracks 1990 thru 2007. and how about 2007-2017?

how about comparing 2007 - 2017 to 1950 - 1960.

if you can show me a credible statistic that indicates it is down compared to these and succeeding decades then I will concede that I am mistaken and I will also be very, very surprised.

source: https://www.acf.hhs.gov/cb/research-data-technology/statistics-research/child-maltreatment

Getting accurate stats from 1950-1960 to compare to present day is impossible. There is FAR more awareness and reporting of Child Abuse today than in the 50's/60's. I doubt they were even collecting much data back then.

allow me an anecdote. In 1964 I was a child living in a highly populated suburb just outside of DC, actually walking distance to DC.

our family didn't always lock our doors before going to sleep. sometimes we did but if we forgot it was no big deal.

Do you lock your doors when you go to sleep?

My folks aren't around to ask but I'd be willing to bet that in the 12 years they lived in DC before moving to the suburbs that they didn't diligently lock their doors at night then either.

Do you think people lock their doors at night in DC now?

It is just as stupid not to lock your doors in 2018 as it was in 1964. But it is a hell of a lot safer today. I don't know how else to put it. All violent crime has decreased significantly in the last 50 years.

so you say life is better now.

allow me one more anecdote.

my grandfather had a fairly nice house, 5 children and his wife did not work; she was very busy with the kids and housework.

he had only a tiny little job - working as a laborer in a zipper factory.

there was very little in government benefits back then - almost nothing

how would life be now for a man with 5 kids with a tiny little job whose wife didn't work?

pretty sweet?

I'm not claiming everything is perfect. Each generation will have their own set of challenges, that's life. My grandfather was able to build a 5BR house on a nice 2 acre plot of land while working at a Steel Mill. No doubt that is harder today, but all of that is moot if you are dying of polio or getting shipped off to die in a war.
Mikey75
Mikey75
  • Threads: 49
March 21st, 2018 at 9:54:01 AM permalink

you talk down to people.

Seriously!!!!!! Romes post have a haughty air????? Romes has tried to help a lot of people on this forum. No reason to attack him for posting facts!!
billryan
billryan
  • Threads: 240
March 21st, 2018 at 10:28:32 AM permalink

My point is that there are problems everywhere. Does that mean I shouldn't get gas because the attendant might be a felon or they shouldn't get on the school bus because someone might be drunk driving and run into the bus?

When you order a cab for a loved one in most places in America, the driver who shows up has been vetted by your local police.
Since the days of the first jitney, it's traditional that local jurisdictions control who is allowed to pick them up. Uber doesn't even fingerprint drivers.
In your example, we would have one gas chain who doesn't hire felons and another who says past performance is irrelevant.
Which one do you want your family using? Let me guess. Since the world is a bad place, it doesn't matter, right?
The difference between fiction and reality is that fiction is supposed to make sense.
rxwine
rxwine
  • Threads: 211
March 21st, 2018 at 10:38:05 AM permalink
Are services like these are easier to cause situations like this. Someone pulled up pretending to be Uber. Then they raped her. It is tougher to pretend to be a big Yellow taxi for too long.

“We don’t know for sure if this guy posed as an Uber or she just thought she was getting into an Uber and wasn’t paying attention,” Goeckel said. “She called an Uber, but we don’t think the car that she got into was the actual Uber that she called.”

http://www.gainesville.com/news/20180302/uf-student-dropped-off-raped-after-calling-uber-police-say
There's no secret. Just know what you're talking about before you open your mouth.
gamerfreak
gamerfreak
March 21st, 2018 at 10:43:33 AM permalink
Quote: rxwine

Are services like these are easier to cause situations like this. Someone pulled up pretending to be Uber. Then they raped her. It is tougher to pretend to be a big Yellow taxi for too long.

“We don’t know for sure if this guy posed as an Uber or she just thought she was getting into an Uber and wasn’t paying attention,” Goeckel said. “She called an Uber, but we don’t think the car that she got into was the actual Uber that she called.”

I pulled up to a curb in Philly and 2 guys hopped in my backseat mistaking me for an uber.

I told a friend who conceal carry's that I am glad he wasn't with me, or else we would have needed this guy's services:

SOOPOO
SOOPOO 
  • Threads: 122
March 21st, 2018 at 10:47:45 AM permalink
If you get in a 'regular cab' there is no record of that event unless you yourself text/call someone telling them you are in cab, license plate ASDFGH, driver John Doe. If you get in an UBER there is an internet record of both the driver and UBER car, and where and when you were picked up. Neither are 100% safe, but I like the 'record' taking an UBER generates.

And if you get into a random vehicle that does not match the license plate of the car UBER sends you, nor the picture of the driver UBER sends you, then I can't help you....
boymimbo
boymimbo
  • Threads: 17
March 21st, 2018 at 10:57:29 AM permalink
Quote: SOOPOO

If you get in a 'regular cab' there is no record of that event unless you yourself text/call someone telling them you are in cab, license plate ASDFGH, driver John Doe. If you get in an UBER there is an internet record of both the driver and UBER car, and where and when you were picked up. Neither are 100% safe, but I like the 'record' taking an UBER generates.

And if you get into a random vehicle that does not match the license plate of the car UBER sends you, nor the picture of the driver UBER sends you, then I can't help you....

Correct. And sometimes, even if an Uber comes and they have a 4.9 rating but you don't like the car or the driver, you can just not get in and order another Uber, or a cab.

As much as I love the concept of Uber/Lyft, it would be nice that they were put to the same scrutiny (police records check, insurance, licensing) as cab drivers. AND, of course, not have the city or government not gouge them for the privilege of driving its citizens around, a necessary service. The records check and licensing should cost about $200 for the two services but it adds in a level of safety. The insurance requirement of course would make it more expensive too.
----- You want the truth! You can't handle the truth!
billryan
billryan
March 21st, 2018 at 11:02:52 AM permalink
That is 100% inaccurate. Why would you attempt to compare a taxi street hail with uber? Huber doesn't do street hails.
When you call a cab company, not only is there a record of who was dispatched to pick you up, but the vehicle and the driver has been vetted and inspected by your local police. When you have a complaint against a driver, or even a cab company, there are local solutions.
The difference between fiction and reality is that fiction is supposed to make sense.
SOOPOO
SOOPOO 
March 21st, 2018 at 11:24:32 AM permalink
Quote: billryan

That is 100% inaccurate. Why would you attempt to compare a taxi street hail with uber? Huber doesn't do street hails.
When you call a cab company, not only is there a record of who was dispatched to pick you up, but the vehicle and the driver has been vetted and inspected by your local police. When you have a complaint against a driver, or even a cab company, there are local solutions.

Duhhh.... because when I use a taxi it IS a street hail. My experience with cabs is mostly from NYC.
EvenBob
EvenBob
  • Threads: 441
Thanked by
RogerKintRomesAxelWolf
March 21st, 2018 at 12:06:23 PM permalink
I take Uber twice a week and am still
waiting for my first sexual assault.
Sigh..
"It's not called gambling if the math is on your side."
billryan
billryan
March 21st, 2018 at 12:12:58 PM permalink

Duhhh.... because when I use a taxi it IS a street hail. My experience with cabs is mostly from NYC.

So you admit you have no idea what you are talking about then, as you don't hail an uber.
lilredrooster
lilredrooster
March 21st, 2018 at 12:27:38 PM permalink
quote: gamerfreak:

"Getting accurate stats from 1950-1960 to compare to present day is impossible. There is FAR more awareness and reporting of Child Abuse today than in the 50's/60's. I doubt they were even collecting much data back then."

okay, fair enough. so I can't prove it. but nonetheless I believe there was much less of this criminality back then. I believe part of the reason there is so much more awareness now is because there is so much more of it now. and I believe there is so much more of it partly because of tech; i.e. the internet. but as I stated, without data I can't prove this.
Romes
Romes
March 21st, 2018 at 12:37:56 PM permalink
There's more awareness now days because we have the internet, twitter, facebook, and news channels that cover not just our cities. Back in the 50's we didn't have such ease of communications and thus we were much more uninformed and unaware of things that happened outside our little towns.

All crime pretty much across the board has gone down over the past 25 years.

https://www.brennancenter.org/publication/crime-trends1990-2016

Meaning follow the trend line back to the 50's. Crime rates were absurdly higher just 25 years ago, let alone 75 years ago.
beachbumbabs
beachbumbabs
  • Threads: 100
March 21st, 2018 at 12:48:15 PM permalink

I have heard of customers doing bad things to LYFT drivers. I was told directly, (Second hand knowledge, yay! ;)) by another LYFT driver that another customer stole his wife's makeup bag that had her cash and credit cards. She was a LYFT driver herself and it was her own customer. She went to her house to get her makeup bag back and the thief cussed her out and refused to give her her makeup bag back. The LYFT driver reported the thief or the thief reported the LYFT driver and LYFT told the driver that she was in the wrong for going to the customer's house and she was suspended for a few days IIRC. So messed up. Wronged more than once. Felt so bad for her. :(

What seems messed up to me is this strange and confused story. It amounts to fear mongering without much substance.
If the House lost every hand, they wouldn't deal the game.
lilredrooster
lilredrooster
March 21st, 2018 at 12:54:57 PM permalink
gamerfreak:

one of the reasons crime statistics are not all that revealing is because they are almost always quoted per capita.

so it's misleading because the population of the U.S. has increased by so very much.

in 1950 the population of the U.S. was about 151 million. in 1960 about 180 million.

right now, the U.S. population is about 326 million.

so, obviously a per capita quoting of crime statistics doesn't really present a good picture.
boymimbo
boymimbo
  • Threads: 17
March 21st, 2018 at 12:56:19 PM permalink
Quote: Romes

There's more awareness now days because we have the internet, twitter, facebook, and news channels that cover not just our cities. Back in the 50's we didn't have such ease of communications and thus we were much more uninformed and unaware of things that happened outside our little towns.

Meaning follow the trend line back to the 50's. Crime rates were absurdly higher just 25 years ago, let alone 75 years ago.

Correct. Before, we had network news, local stations, and local radio to filter news to us. Now, if we want to find reporting on crime, we can go onto the internet. I'm in a FB group that shows the daily crime blog, plus lots of videos and photos of "suspicious activity" within my city. With that, you would think that the crime rate is sky-high. Fact is, in our city, crime has been dropping steadily for the past ten years. People on the board are crying for "more police" when in fact, the worst things you see on the site are the occasional break-in, assault, and car theft.

It's the appearance of a problem that makes the problem. If we want to be obsesses with crime, you can watch court TV all days and come to the conclusion that everyone is a criminal.
----- You want the truth! You can't handle the truth!
beachbumbabs
beachbumbabs
March 21st, 2018 at 1:00:54 PM permalink
Quote: Romes

I and every other little girl I know born in the 50s got messed with by at least one male in our lives. It didn't get discussed. Occasionally it got joked about. But it was either underground or somehow accepted or expected. Certainly threats helped, and the preponderant attitude was either disbelief or non-acknowledgement.

I think there is actually significantly LESS actual activity. Starting in the 70s, it became known these things were happening, men started getting arrested or at least accused, and kids became aware that it was OK to tell someone, even when the adult or guy threatened or enticed you into not telling.

Like everything, there were a fair amount of overreactions and false accusations starting then, but it also made a LOT of guys rethink casually doing something sketchy, which was the VAST majority of incidents (opportunistic impulse rather than perversion or compulsion).

We just have so much more information and communication now, that it seems pervasive.
RogerKint
RogerKint
  • Threads: 15
March 21st, 2018 at 1:02:42 PM permalink
Quote: boymimbo

Correct. Before, we had network news, local stations, and local radio to filter news to us. Now, if we want to find reporting on crime, we can go onto the internet. I'm in a FB group that shows the daily crime blog, plus lots of videos and photos of "suspicious activity" within my city. With that, you would think that the crime rate is sky-high. Fact is, in our city, crime has been dropping steadily for the past ten years. People on the board are crying for "more police" when in fact, the worst things you see on the site are the occasional break-in, assault, and car theft.

It's the appearance of a problem that makes the problem. If we want to be obsesses with crime, you can watch court TV all days and come to the conclusion that everyone is a criminal.

Well yeah, why would you personally go steal things when you can just vote for the government to go do it for you?
100% risk of ruin
DRich
DRich
  • Threads: 86
March 21st, 2018 at 1:03:41 PM permalink
Quote: beachbumbabs

I and every other little girl I know born in the 50s got messed with by at least one male in our lives.

Wow, that is horrifying that it was so prevalent.
At my age, a "Life In Prison" sentence is not much of a deterrent.
rxwine
rxwine
  • Threads: 211
March 21st, 2018 at 2:29:08 PM permalink
I would guess age of consent has to be accounted for as well. I believe it has gone up in most places since 1950's. The bigger umbrella is going to account for more charges.
There's no secret. Just know what you're talking about before you open your mouth.
billryan
billryan
March 21st, 2018 at 2:35:13 PM permalink
Math is hard, I guess.
SOOPOO
SOOPOO 
March 21st, 2018 at 2:38:16 PM permalink
Quote: billryan

So you admit you have no idea what you are talking about then, as you don't hail an uber.

If this is what you want to hang your hat on? I guess I'll try and be real simple here..... When going from one place to another if i want a vehicle in a few minutes I have two realistic options. I can put my thumb up and get in a 'regular' cab. Or I can push a button on my phone and an UBER pulls up. Now I believe what we are trying to talk about is the relative safety of either of those two options. The 'vetting' you cite as a positive from the regular cab has to be weighed against the internet stamp of the UBER.
Trump was 'vetted' by our country. How do you like the efficiency of vetting?
lilredrooster
lilredrooster
March 21st, 2018 at 2:42:11 PM permalink

Trump was 'vetted' by our country. How do you like the efficiency of vetting?

that is not in any way a meaningful analogy.

it's absolutely useless.

the "vetting" of Trump was done by ordinary citizens with no training and many ulterior motives for who they vote for.

the vetting of personnel by a regulatory agency or a human resources department or an investigative agency is done by professionals who are trained in how to do it.

you're not a woman or a girl soopoo. your risk is considerably less.

you have no idea what a woman or girl who is alone feels like getting into a vehicle with a stranger at night.

all you think about is your personal convenience.
billryan
billryan
March 21st, 2018 at 3:00:22 PM permalink
NYC TLC requirements- pass a week long course, fill out an extensive background check, pass a drug test, pass a knowledge test, submit fingerprints and have a one on one interview with someone who has investigated the applicant and is trained in interviewing.
Uber- requirements- have your car inspected, take a short personality test, fill out a questionnaire that is reviewed by a computer program. They care more that you own your own phone than pretty much anything else.
GWAE
GWAE
March 21st, 2018 at 4:29:00 PM permalink
Didn't some of our mass shooters pass background checks and were squeaky clean? Anyone can snap or have mental problems without warning.
petroglyph
petroglyph
  • Threads: 19
March 21st, 2018 at 7:44:47 PM permalink

... It amounts to fear mongering without much substance.

Sounds to me like there were substances involved.
petroglyph
petroglyph
  • Threads: 19
March 21st, 2018 at 8:21:36 PM permalink

I and every other little girl I know born in the 50s got messed with by at least one male in our lives. It didn't get discussed.

I traveled frequently when I was young, and dated often with different young women. I was shocked by how many said they had been abused. I assumed most of the abusers were their fathers? I believe there also repressed memory's, that don't come back until later in life. And then some are just ****** in the head, and you can't tell what's what.

I also know of a guy that was falsely accused, and that causes a heap of pain. Or it can be a cruel weapon used by a vindictive bitch. Ugly deal all around. Ignoring it won't fix it.

I see what you mean about opportunity strikes.

Testosterone doesn't get enough acknowledgement for how powerful a hormone it is. It moves mountains and fights wars.

It is a naturally occurring steroid. Not usually a mans friend, even more frequently.

Legalize brothels, and this **** will reduce. Anecdotal evidence indicates this to be true.
beachbumbabs
beachbumbabs
March 21st, 2018 at 9:16:15 PM permalink
Quote: petroglyph

I traveled frequently when I was young, and dated often with different young women. I was shocked by how many said they had been abused. I assumed most of the abusers were their fathers? I believe there also repressed memory's, that don't come back until later in life. And then some are just ****** in the head, and you can't tell what's what.

I also know of a guy that was falsely accused, and that causes a heap of pain. Or it can be a cruel weapon used by a vindictive bitch. Ugly deal all around. Ignoring it won't fix it.

I see what you mean about opportunity strikes.

Testosterone doesn't get enough acknowledgement for how powerful a hormone it is. It moves mountains and fights wars.

It is a naturally occurring steroid. Not usually a mans friend, even more frequently.

Legalize brothels, and this **** will reduce. Anecdotal evidence indicates this to be true.

I think there's more than anecdotal evidence, and couldn't agree with you more. So much acting out is displaced sexual frustration. I think it's somehow the women in a society, and men's perception of what women will think of them if they knew they solicit prostitutes, that gets in the way of being practical about it.

It should be safe, legal, and available among adults. Nobody should have to be embarrassed (let alone arrested or blackmailable) about it. But this society is what it is, it's illegal, and I've always known I didn't agree that it should be a big deal.

I suppose there's a large case to be made about child prostitution, involuntary prostitution, and sexual slavery. Those all address more the yearning for power through sexual domination than hormonal urges, though, and I think those problems are less prevalent in societies that are practical about prostitution. I could easily be wrong : I'm not conversant with facts and demographics on the types of prostitution occurring around the world.
Nathan
Nathan 
March 22nd, 2018 at 1:42:43 AM permalink
Quote: rxwine

http://www.gainesville.com/news/20180302/uf-student-dropped-off-raped-after-calling-uber-police-say

If it were up to me, all UBER cars would have 8 inch unremovable UBER Decal or something that clearly marks the car as an UBER car that only the company themselves make. Much like the colorful fiber threads that the U.S. Treasury puts in cash bills.

Now, some wayward, unscrupulous UBER driver could rape a passenger even with the unremovable decal thing but at least the company would know exactly who he is and the passenger would know this is a UBER driver.

On a side note, there is a possibility that some complete stranger could steal the car even with the unremovable Decal thing on it while the driver is using the restroom at a restaurant or something like that, and then rape a passenger but this possibility is really remote due to passengers being given a picture of their driver on their phones and most likely the fake driver will not look like the real driver.
Mikey75
Mikey75
  • Threads: 49
March 22nd, 2018 at 7:18:24 AM permalink
I have driven for both Uber and Lyft. On both platforms I had to wait for a background check to go through before i could drive. Once the background check cleared I was good to go with Uber. With Lyft I had to meet with a person who got in the car with me and I had to take them on a mock ride. After they inspected my car they could approve or deny me. In my opinion Lyft takes the checks a step further than Uber.
billryan
billryan
March 22nd, 2018 at 7:21:53 AM permalink
Were you fingerprinted for either?
I applied to work for uber in NY, and they cared more about my phone than anything else. No fingerprints.
  • Jump to: