FleaStiff
FleaStiff
  • Threads: 265
Thanked by
billryan
February 7th, 2018 at 11:40:40 PM permalink
Yeah, cops tried to get a Siri device to reveal conversation in the room just prior to a shot being fired. We forget those devices are always "on" no matter what the companies claim.

Or a heart monitor being used to prove severe exertion rather than peaceful slumber in murder case.
RS
RS
  • Threads: 62
February 8th, 2018 at 12:18:04 AM permalink
Quote: beachbumbabs

I do not understand having Alexa, Cortana, Siri, Echo, any other digital assistant in my home, my car, or my business. Every one of these things can so easily be contraverted into working against you. The GPS chip State Farm wants mounted in my car can also tell them where I'm driving, how fast, whether I just left a bar, etc etc. I turned it down for their 5 or 10% discount, I forget which.

You talk to Alexa or whatever, it's caching your interests, your movies, TV shows, books. It's always listening. I call BS on you having to address one of those things to wake it up.

Gonna cut my rant short and just say that, the more I'm tracked on social media or smart devices, the further off the grid I'm going. If I become a quadraplegic , maybe I'll reconsider. Short of that , I'll do it myself. Bad enough they track my Google searches and pitch ads to me.

Bruh I'm like always talkin' to Siri. I'm driving somewhere and I wanna text someone? "Hey Siri, text....." If I'm waking up and have no clue wtf time it is, just yell out, "HEY SIRI WHATS THE TIME!? AM OR PM???" Or if I wanna verify some math, just ask Siri. She's quite helpful.

This is basically me, 24/7:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YvT_gqs5ETk
djatc
djatc
  • Threads: 83
Thanked by
RogerKintbeachbumbabs
February 8th, 2018 at 8:23:28 AM permalink
Whatever happened to texting while driving like a real man
"Man Babes" #AxelFabulous
FleaStiff
FleaStiff
February 8th, 2018 at 8:42:44 AM permalink
These text while driving laws are dangerous.
People have to really hide that phone and look away from the road longer and so therefore have more accidents.
Hunterhill
Hunterhill
  • Threads: 53
Thanked by
RogerKintRS
February 8th, 2018 at 9:51:24 AM permalink
They need to execute anyone that texts and drives, that will cut down on traffic also,as there wouldn't be too many drivers left.
The mountain is tall but grass grows on top of the mountain.
RogerKint
RogerKint
  • Threads: 15
Thanked by
RS
February 8th, 2018 at 10:00:50 AM permalink
No one actually goes when the light turns green anymore. They're all fiddling with their tweeters and their tinderlys.
100% risk of ruin
Hunterhill
Hunterhill
  • Threads: 53
February 8th, 2018 at 10:06:21 AM permalink
Quote: RogerKint

No one actually goes when the light turns green anymore. They're all fiddling with their tweeters and their tinderlys.

Now it's safer to run red lights,since no one goes when it turns green
The mountain is tall but grass grows on top of the mountain.
Doc
Doc
  • Threads: 46
February 8th, 2018 at 10:27:28 AM permalink
Quote: Hunterhill

George Carlin had a routine related to this. I can't find a really good clip of it, but here's a snippet.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=e_BtPZRbZxY
Venthus
Venthus
  • Threads: 24
February 8th, 2018 at 10:41:24 AM permalink

You talk to Alexa or whatever, it's caching your interests, your movies, TV shows, books. It's always listening. I call BS on you having to address one of those things to wake it up.

It may be a small consolation, but at least Amazon's gone to court (multiple times, I believe) in order to refuse giving information away to various law enforcement. I don't think the other companies have been in that predicament yet, at least to any meaningful degree.

(There's news extending for several months on both sides of this article.) https://www.cnn.com/2017/03/07/tech/amazon-echo-alexa-bentonville-arkansas-murder-case/index.html
RogerKint
RogerKint
February 8th, 2018 at 10:44:21 AM permalink

I do not understand having Alexa, Cortana, Siri, Echo, any other digital assistant in my home, my car, or my business. Every one of these things can so easily be contraverted into working against you. The GPS chip State Farm wants mounted in my car can also tell them where I'm driving, how fast, whether I just left a bar, etc etc. I turned it down for their 5 or 10% discount, I forget which.

Gonna cut my rant short and just say that, the more I'm tracked on social media or smart devices, the further off the grid I'm going. If I become a quadraplegic , maybe I'll reconsider. Short of that , I'll do it myself. Bad enough they track my Google searches and pitch ads to me.

The flat earth community welcomes you *hug*
100% risk of ruin
Ibeatyouraces
Ibeatyouraces
  • Threads: 68
February 8th, 2018 at 10:44:25 AM permalink
These things are why humans are getting fatter. Too much laziness.
DUHHIIIIIIIII HEARD THAT!
DRich
DRich
  • Threads: 86
Thanked by
RogerKintJoemanbeachbumbabs
February 8th, 2018 at 7:15:39 PM permalink
Quote: Ibeatyouraces

These things are why humans are getting fatter. Too much laziness.

I could go to the stores and shop and keep myself in shape, or by ordering online I keep the postman, UPS man, and Fedex man all in shape. Clearly I am a selfless hero.
At my age, a "Life In Prison" sentence is not much of a deterrent.
FleaStiff
FleaStiff
February 9th, 2018 at 12:00:42 AM permalink
Quote: DRich

I could go to the stores and shop and keep myself in shape, or by ordering online I keep the postman, UPS man, and Fedex man all in shape. Clearly I am a selfless hero.

About the same as if you were at this great big slot machine and the flashing lights gave you a few of your nickels back. A mindless kneejerk reaction.

Its like that luxury goods shopping center in North Korea. It displays merchandise but no one actually buys it,. Or Target stores where displays are there but as ancillary measures to the online purchase, and a clerk is but a memory.

Everyone presses the 'convenience button' and soon we get drones Chinese knick knacks all over the place.
GWAE
GWAE
  • Threads: 93
February 9th, 2018 at 3:53:01 AM permalink
Amazon announced free 2 hour delivery of whole foods items if you have prime. Another assume thing amazon is doing.

I just ordered $2200 worth of equipment for my business from amazon. The same items from other sites would have cost over 3k. I love amazon.
Expect the worst and you will never be disappointed. I AM NOT PART OF GWAE RADIO SHOW
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
  • Threads: 240
February 9th, 2018 at 5:22:33 AM permalink
Quote: GWAE

Amazon announced free 2 hour delivery of whole foods items if you have prime. Another assume thing amazon is doing.

I just ordered $2200 worth of equipment for my business from amazon. The same items from other sites would have cost over 3k. I love amazon.

I love AMZN because in addition to the rest I can convert buying gift cards for myself to free gas! Getting a power washer next month. Hoping the local retailer doubles the offer as they are due to do.
All animals are equal, but some are more equal than others
Face
Administrator
Face
  • Threads: 49
Thanked by
beachbumbabs
February 9th, 2018 at 5:42:31 AM permalink
Quote: DRich

Your magnanimity knows no bounds. I do rather enjoy having the physique of a 17yr old wide out. Needing surgery just 18months in? Not so much =p

Here is where I'd cuss out people who want $2mm in quarters delivered to their front door, but after slinging a dildo so great it required a team lift, I realize things could be worse.
The opinions of this moderator are for entertainment purposes only.
Face
Administrator
Face
Thanked by
onenickelmiracle
February 9th, 2018 at 11:03:46 AM permalink
Here's the thing... and I intend more than a rant. I'm sincerely hoping to learn something here.

Where, exactly, do anti-trust laws come in? Is it when there's just one dude left? I'm not all that up to speed on my Rockefeller history, but I'm kinda remembering he got cut down to size not because he was the only, but because he was f#$%ing everything up and was on pace to be the only. I suppose I'm a straight Capitalist if for no other reason than lack of choice, and I generally favor an atmosphere of competition under an umbrella of freedom. But I suppose I just feel like things: money, wealth, influence, are being consolidated on a level not seen before. I mean, who here uses Google+ instead of Facebook? AskJeeves instead of Google? Alibaba instead of Amazon? There's something hinky in this internet era, and I don't mean tin-foil hat superstition. I think rather I believe our system, the rules and traditions that govern our society, are set in a way that the internet doesn't entirely exist within. And it seems, because of this, situations are being created that could cause big problems down the line.

That reasonable and "middle of the road" enough? Make sense?

Additionally, at the risk of flashing my "CCCP" tat,... I generally think it's no one's business what another does with his life. If Gates did what he did and spent all his time buying Pagani Huayra's to enter the county fair demo with, so be it. His to waste. But.... damn, man, when is enough "enough"? To paraphrase a forgettable comic, "Dude! You won! You can stop now." How come when someone hoards pets, it's a pathology. If they hoard natural resources, it's despicable. But hoarding cash is... awe inducing? Especially in this age where pols are openly bought and elections are a purely money based game, it just seems... vulnerable, to allow all of this to exist simultaneously.

Hmm. Think I got that out without offense OR projection. So what say you?
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
  • Threads: 240
February 9th, 2018 at 11:47:32 AM permalink
Quote: Face

Here's the thing... and I intend more than a rant. I'm sincerely hoping to learn something here.

Where, exactly, do anti-trust laws come in? Is it when there's just one dude left? I'm not all that up to speed on my Rockefeller history, but I'm kinda remembering he got cut down to size not because he was the only, but because he was f#$%ing everything up and was on pace to be the only. I suppose I'm a straight Capitalist if for no other reason than lack of choice, and I generally favor an atmosphere of competition under an umbrella of freedom. But I suppose I just feel like things: money, wealth, influence, are being consolidated on a level not seen before. I mean, who here uses Google+ instead of Facebook? AskJeeves instead of Google? Alibaba instead of Amazon? There's something hinky in this internet era, and I don't mean tin-foil hat superstition. I think rather I believe our system, the rules and traditions that govern our society, are set in a way that the internet doesn't entirely exist within. And it seems, because of this, situations are being created that could cause big problems down the line.

As always it depends. AMZN is probably nowhere near where Sears and A&P were in 1955. Google is a bit harder. They have a stranglehold on search, but most of what they provide there is free, always has been. As to placing ads, well, you can advertise many places so their share is again low.

The laws have to catch up with the tech.
All animals are equal, but some are more equal than others
petroglyph
petroglyph
  • Threads: 19
February 9th, 2018 at 11:57:40 AM permalink
Quote: Hunterhill

Watched a 20 year old burn to death in his pick up 2 blocks from my house that thought the same way. Most dangerous intersection I have ever seen.

Texting while driving is still legal in Az, and speed limit signs are only a suggestion. Signaling to turn is considered a weakness.
RogerKint
RogerKint
February 9th, 2018 at 12:00:50 PM permalink
Quote: petroglyph

Watched a 20 year old burn to death in his pick up 2 blocks from my house that thought the same way. Most dangerous intersection I have ever seen.

Texting while driving is still legal in Az, and speed limit signs are only a suggestion. Signaling to turn is considered a weakness.

Is it one of those with an unprotected left turn? I have one outside my window and, almost once a week, it's pure carnage. I wish they'd replace it with a roundaboot. Or, like Vegas does it, the arrow flashes yellow so people know oncoming traffic does not stop. In Cali, it's just a solid green light instead of green arrow.
100% risk of ruin
Face
Administrator
Face
Thanked by
RogerKint
February 9th, 2018 at 12:11:25 PM permalink
Quote: AZDuffman

As always it depends. AMZN is probably nowhere near where Sears and A&P were in 1955. Google is a bit harder. They have a stranglehold on search, but most of what they provide there is free, always has been. As to placing ads, well, you can advertise many places so their share is again low.

The laws have to catch up with the tech.

That's what bothers me about Google. On the surface, I find nothing wrong. In fact, I find it to be nothing short of magnificent. Dig a little deeper, still nothing. Ads? Hell, for what I get out of it, I couldn't think of a more entitled complaint. I get all this, and all I have to do is avert my eyes? A pittance.

It's the "free". How can I explain this... no matter how righteous, how pure, how genuine, the provisions of one source make you a captive to that source. You know how elephants /crocs /hippos in Africa are slave to the rains? There is nothing impure about this, nor even conscious. But regardless, they must come and they must go as the resource dictates. Even if we instill purity into the scenario, say, we find if we could just move the heard things will flourish, and we build little oasis outposts in a trail to Nirvana, these beasts are still enslaved to this resource. They have no free will, are unable to explore new lands, unable to breach out. All actions are either neutral or positive, but you're still left with a crummy situation.

I'm not so out to lunch that I rant about Google. It is probably the thing which I am most grateful for in this modern era, or even in my life, relations not included. But with them collecting so much, presenting so much, exerting so much influence, even if in the attempt of your best interest and with nary a slight or ill-will suffered, it still just seems wrong. It seems to me, if I engage in soft science and substitute my opinions for facts, to be the key aspect in what I have been ranting about for years now, this "disconnected connection". I mean nothing as hookum as "mind control", but repeated exposure to inputs absolutely does change views, and I feel like I'm seeing a society that is living in a situation of having what they're told they want, as opposed to even knowing what they, as a unique individual, value in life.

All the rest of my beefs about the lot; Amazon, Google, Gates, whatever, are all either laughably insane, or obviously biased and opinion based. But the above... just seems important. It seems real.

*tinfoil rustles in the distance*
petroglyph
petroglyph
  • Threads: 19
February 9th, 2018 at 12:46:57 PM permalink
Quote: RogerKint

Is it one of those with an unprotected left turn? I have one outside my window and, almost once a week, it's pure carnage. I wish they'd replace it with a roundaboot. Or, like Vegas does it, the arrow flashes yellow so people know oncoming traffic does not stop. In Cali, it's just a solid green light instead of green arrow.

It has it's own light. I have told person after person that it is the deadliest intersection I have ever seen. While telling friends of this, while stopped at the light, vehicle after vehicle has ran it. When I wait at the light and it turns, we both look both ways, and sure enough someone thinks they can still make it through the red, seconds after it has turned. I have plenty of time when it turns to honk like hell at those that are determined to run it.

One of the reasons I see is, it is on hwy. 95, the speed limit a mile back has slowed to 45 mph, but drivers here just will not drive less than 10 over, it's a matter of principle with them or something? But at every light, it is a regular residential street crossing the hwy. People stopped from the residential side are prepared to go 25-35 mpg, those that run the light are invariably driving at hwy speed and speeding as well. Many semi's will not stop and have to go through all their gears again to get up to hwy speed. I've sat and watched the light progress from green to yellow to red and watched semi's from a 1/4 mile away determined not to stop regardless of the color of the light.

Inconvenient as it is, the actual speed limit on the hwy needs to be lowered to some limit where drivers will be willing to stop at the light. Maybe 35? The drivers would still do 45-50, but might stop at the light. Also there could be an adjustment in the timing in the light, maybe have it delay another 5 seconds before cross traffic gets the green? It's a deadly sob.
gamerfreak
gamerfreak
  • Threads: 57
February 9th, 2018 at 1:14:37 PM permalink
FWIW amazon sells a lot of products from small businesses, there very few barriers to getting Amazon to carry your product, unlike a Walmart or Homedepot where it is very difficult for a little guy to get their item on the shelf.

They certainly take a decent cut for themselves, but they provide a massive audience and fulfillment process in return.
lilredrooster
lilredrooster
  • Threads: 232
February 10th, 2018 at 7:23:24 AM permalink
all of the posts from you guys except for the ones from Face are trivial

the net worth of Bezos is about $100 billion

he is so powerful he can force state and local governments to relinquish their obligation to tax his company

he could buy all of Greece, if they would sell it to him. and still have enough left over to buy Nambibia

he is trying to insinuate himself through his company into every single aspect of every person's life

no one man should be that powerful

his hourly employees are so poorly compensated that many of them live in their cars (see link)

there are none so blind as those that will not see

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2017/dec/02/nomadland-living-in-cars-working-amazon
Please don't feed the trolls
GWAE
GWAE
February 10th, 2018 at 7:52:11 AM permalink
Has it been brought up in here yet that amazon just announced they are teaming up with jp Morgan to make a new health insurance. Next it will be hospitals. Odds on there being a Amazon brand car within 10 years?
Expect the worst and you will never be disappointed. I AM NOT PART OF GWAE RADIO SHOW
GWAE
GWAE
February 10th, 2018 at 7:54:37 AM permalink
Lol as I typed that last post the mail man knocked on my door with an amazon package. Ordered chalkboard magnets for kids. $4.99 for 24 of them with free shipping. Ordered it thursdsy night and it comes saturday morning. Yep gotta yay amazon for providing me that horrible service.
  • Jump to: