MrV
MrV
  • Threads: 300
January 23rd, 2018 at 8:27:52 AM permalink
It's getting toward mid-winter, when thoughts turn to spring and WoVCon.

Any suggestions as to where, when or even if it should be held this year?

Is there sufficient interest anymore to warrant having a spring time get together in Las Vegas?
"What, me worry?"
PokerGrinder
PokerGrinder 
  • Threads: 17
January 23rd, 2018 at 9:06:58 AM permalink
We had a good turnout last year in the spring. I can’t see why it wouldn’t happen again this year.
You can shear a sheep a hundred times, but you can skin it only once. — Amarillo Slim Preston
rdw4potus
rdw4potus
  • Threads: 80
January 23rd, 2018 at 3:15:45 PM permalink
I'd most likely be game. Maybe with Mrs rdw, though she (mercifully?) doesn't like Vegas much. April and may usually work best for me.
"So as the clock ticked and the day passed, opportunity met preparation, and luck happened." - Maurice Clarett
GWAE
GWAE
  • Threads: 79
January 23rd, 2018 at 5:33:25 PM permalink
Quote: rdw4potus

I'd most likely be game. Maybe with Mrs rdw, though she (mercifully?) doesn't like Vegas much. April and may usually work best for me.

How is that even possible.
Expect the worst and you will never be disappointed.
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
  • Threads: 1087
January 23rd, 2018 at 6:44:56 PM permalink
I'll be around the whole spring so anytime is fine with me.
It's not whether you win or lose; it's whether or not you had a good bet.
Doc
Doc
  • Threads: 44
January 23rd, 2018 at 9:50:54 PM permalink
Quote: MrV

It's getting toward mid-winter, when thoughts turn to spring and WoVCon.

BTW, while the first three such gatherings were referred to as WoVCon, WoVCon ][, and WoVCon ]I[ (or sometimes WoVCon ///), since 2014 we have been calling them "Spring Fling 201x", with or without a preceding "WoV" and with the x being 4, 5, 6, or 7.

Now with that nerdy introductory remark out of the way, I want to say that I look forward to the chance to join the group again this year for Spring Fling 2018. My wife and I had to cancel out at the last moment last year, which was the only spring gathering I have missed. I don't want to miss out again.

However, we do have a commitment that might result in a conflict. We have booked a cruise already, departing Fort Lauderdale on April 22 with debarkation in Copenhagen on May 10. We do not have definite post-cruise plans set yet, but we might spend a night or two in Denmark before flying home. Following that cruise, I doubt we will be able to handle a trip to Las Vegas any earlier than about the 3rd weekend of May (19th & 20th). On the other hand, if folks are interested in an early event this year, a pre-cruise Spring Fling might be possible for us, provided we have a little post-fling time back home to get ready to sail.

And No, rdw4potus, we did not book this cruise just to conflict with the dates that are most convenient for you to fling in Vegas. Why don't you and the Mrs. consider cruising to Denmark with us?
FleaStiff
FleaStiff
  • Threads: 255
January 25th, 2018 at 9:13:14 AM permalink
Quote: Doc

, but we might spend a night or two in Denmark before flying home.

I do hope you will be able to make it to Spring Fling but if you will be staying a few nights in Copenhagen, their largest hostel will be serving some special breakfasts in addition to their full English and Continental breakfasts: muffins with apple, apricot and almonds made using flour ground out of worms; baked wax moth larvae with paprika; and grasshoppers prepared with lime.
Romes
Romes
  • Threads: 26
January 25th, 2018 at 9:43:31 AM permalink
Ahhh, spring time, better weather, Trivia questions (especially to germans about germany... Klaus), and Axel donating money on the poker tables... No way I could miss that. So long as we nail a date down in the next month or two I should be able to attend. I'm find with an end of May time frame, since Doc through out that might work best for him and no one else has posted too many restrictions as of yet.
Playing it correctly means you've already won.
rdw4potus
rdw4potus
  • Threads: 80
January 25th, 2018 at 11:34:22 AM permalink
late May works for me. I'd actually be OK with the Memorial Day holiday weekend. But that might pose conflicts or cost issues for some (and maybe access issues at 777 on saturday, assuming we'd look to do that again)
"So as the clock ticked and the day passed, opportunity met preparation, and luck happened." - Maurice Clarett
Doc
Doc
  • Threads: 44
January 25th, 2018 at 11:40:45 AM permalink
Quote: FleaStiff

... their largest hostel will be serving some special breakfasts ....

I suspect you may be making Copenhagen sound far too tempting to PokerGrinder.

• Jump to: