Thread Rating:

billryan
billryan
  • Threads: 240
September 10th, 2017 at 6:41:47 PM permalink
Could Reagan exist in todays Republican Party?

https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/1980-video-bush-reagan-debating-190036843.html?.tsrc=jtc_news_index

https://youtu.be/YsmgPp_nlok?t=2
The difference between fiction and reality is that fiction is supposed to make sense.
gamerfreak
gamerfreak
  • Threads: 57
Thanked by
beachbumbabs
September 10th, 2017 at 7:08:30 PM permalink
If you were a moderate republican 30-40 yrs ago and have not changed your political views since, you'd probably find yourself far left of center today.

And it's a shame to be honest. I really identify with some of the more fundamental republican principles, but the party in it's current incarnation borders on conservative extremism in my opinion, and is something I could never support in good conscience.

So I remain a registered independent indefinitely. If one of the two parties clean's up their act significantly, or a moderate 3rd party comes into fruition that may change, but for right now F them all.
boymimbo
boymimbo
  • Threads: 17
September 11th, 2017 at 2:03:07 AM permalink
It will be a long time before entrenched three-party politics entrenches in America and I think it would be a great idea if it did just to break up the money and to build voting blocks that could traverse majorities. You could then have a left, center, and right party.
----- You want the truth! You can't handle the truth!
gamerfreak
gamerfreak
September 11th, 2017 at 9:40:03 AM permalink
Quote: boymimbo

It will be a long time before entrenched three-party politics entrenches in America and I think it would be a great idea if it did just to break up the money and to build voting blocks that could traverse majorities. You could then have a left, center, and right party.

I think the libertarian party has a chance if they can get decent well-known candidates. Gary Johnson seemed like a good guy, but he lacked the charisma and skills to make any significant waves.
RS
RS
  • Threads: 62
September 11th, 2017 at 9:45:58 AM permalink
Anyone wanna give me a free-roll bet that I can become elected president by 2029? I would run as a librarytarian.
onenickelmiracle
onenickelmiracle
  • Threads: 212
September 11th, 2017 at 10:14:23 AM permalink
When the debt was ignored, the revenue needed was ignored, they weren't Republicans anymore, all they are are raiders not caring if America goes down. Look how damn weak and vulnerable we are after the threat of a bad hurricane. No gas, no food, because there are no real fundamentals. They wont be happy until everyone is a pauper.
I am a robot.
Rigondeaux
Rigondeaux
  • Threads: 30
September 11th, 2017 at 1:18:14 PM permalink
Quote: gamerfreak

If you were a moderate republican 30-40 yrs ago and have not changed your political views since, you'd probably find yourself far left of center today.

And it's a shame to be honest. I really identify with some of the more fundamental republican principles, but the party in it's current incarnation borders on conservative extremism in my opinion, and is something I could never support in good conscience.

So I remain a registered independent indefinitely. If one of the two parties clean's up their act significantly, or a moderate 3rd party comes into fruition that may change, but for right now F them all.

Something similar is true of the Dems. They both are running on the same basic formula. Completely sell out this country and planet, people and future. Use wedge issues to keep the population voting for them.

If you go back a little farther, someone like Dwight Eisenhower would be completely "unelectable" in either party. Not that voters wouldn't go for him. But whichever party he ran in would go to war against him, as would the MSM.
gamerfreak
gamerfreak
September 11th, 2017 at 1:23:46 PM permalink
Quote: Rigondeaux

Something similar is true of the Dems. They both are running on the same basic formula. Completely sell out this country and planet, people and future. Use wedge issues to keep the population voting for them.

If you go back a little farther, someone like Dwight Eisenhower would be completely "unelectable" in either party. Not that voters wouldn't go for him. But whichever party he ran in would go to war against him, as would the MSM.

I agree, which is why I am an independent. Admittingly I lean a bit left, so currently the state of the right-wing feels a bit more egregious to me, but like I said both party's have major problems and I do not support either.
billryan
billryan
  • Threads: 240
Thanked by
beachbumbabs
September 11th, 2017 at 1:51:25 PM permalink
Tolkien summed it up perfectly.
Treebeard: "Side? I am on nobody's side. Because nobody is on my side,
The difference between fiction and reality is that fiction is supposed to make sense.
sixsisters
sixsisters
  • Threads: 0
September 11th, 2017 at 2:47:40 PM permalink
If NONE OF THE ABOVE were on the ballot, does anybody think Trump or Clinton would have won ? Just asking!
RS
RS
  • Threads: 62
September 11th, 2017 at 3:12:16 PM permalink
Quote: sixsisters

If NONE OF THE ABOVE were on the ballot, does anybody think Trump or Clinton would have won ? Just asking!

onenickelmiracle
onenickelmiracle
  • Threads: 212
September 11th, 2017 at 5:07:33 PM permalink
Quote: sixsisters

Trump was the none of the above, the not with her.
I am a robot.
sixsisters
sixsisters
  • Threads: 0
September 11th, 2017 at 5:18:02 PM permalink
Just saw a politician with a pair of 4 year old Daca's. Makes me mad, Here are two illegal immigrant 4 year olds clothing, sheltering, feeding and educating themselves. While lazy American 4 year olds are in foster care and orphanages taking advantage of taxpayers.
Lazy American brats.
LuckyPhow
LuckyPhow
  • Threads: 55
September 12th, 2017 at 10:36:44 AM permalink
Quote: onenickelmiracle

When the debt was ignored, the revenue needed was ignored, they weren't Republicans anymore, all they are are raiders not caring if America goes down. Look how damn weak and vulnerable we are after the threat of a bad hurricane. No gas, no food, because there are no real fundamentals. They wont be happy until everyone is a pauper.

Sad, but true. So many of the rich seem almost gleeful at the prospect of driving America off the cliff so they can watch it crash and burn (allowing them to buy its assets for pennies on the dollar.) I think urban analyst Aaron Renn (quoted by Joel Kotkin, here) hit the nail on the head:

Quote: Aaron Renn

Those who are succeeding in America no longer need the overall prosperity of the country to personally do well.

In other words, little folk like you and I are such toast.
  • Jump to: