Nareed
Nareed
  • Threads: 373
September 27th, 2010 at 8:06:46 AM permalink
I expected less people at Terminal 1 in Mex City's airport because the biggest airline there, Mexicana, has ceased operations. And indeed that was the case, only not quite.

All the Mexicana counters were manned, but there were no people in line. The check-in electronic kiosks were turned on, displaying Mexicana's logo, and no one used them. Even their screens for flight info were on but displayed nothing, except the time.

When the plane taxied to the runway, pretty much all but 7 of the gates were empty. There just some Interjet planes, two from charter companies, and on the far end an A-330 belonging to Iberia.

What I didn't expect was that Monterrey's airport would also have that ghostly quality. Monterrey expanded to three terminals. The biggest current airline, Aeromexico, moved to Terminal B. the next biggest, Viva Aerobus, is the sole inhabitant of Terminal C. Terminal A serves just about everyone else.

Worse yet there are ticket counters near the three entrances to Terminal A. Many of these were abandoned. Mexicana's, of course, but also Aeromexico's and for some reason they haven't removed Aviacsa's counter yet. When taxiing out, again, everything was empty (of course ti was at 8:20 PM, but there still should ahve been mroe activity.

I returned via Toluca because all flights to Mex City were sold out. Toluca was pretty empty, too. Mexicana never flew out of Toluca, so that wasn't a factor. however, since Aerocalifornia disappeared, Interjet moved better than half its operations from Toluca to Mex City. Volaris has also been moving some flights to MEX. And other airlines that used Toluca have gone bankrupt.

I had last flown to/from Toluca 2 years ago. Back then the airport expansion had just been completed and the airport was packed. Today about 1/3 of the airport is idle.

Add the flights I took which were packed like sardine cans, and the whole experience was surreal.
Donald Trump is a fucking criminal
pacomartin
pacomartin
  • Threads: 649
September 27th, 2010 at 10:57:32 AM permalink
It seems like only yesterday that Grupo Aeroportuario del Pacífico was one of the darlings of the investment world.

GAP operates 12 airports in the following states:

Aguascalientes
Lic. Jesús Terán Peredo International Airport (IATA: AGU, ICAO: MMAS) - Aguascalientes, Aguascalientes
Baja California
General Abelardo L. Rodriguez International Airport (IATA: TIJ, ICAO: MMTJ) - Tijuana, Baja California (top airport)
General Rodolfo Sanchez Taboada International Airport (IATA: MXL, ICAO: MMML) - Mexicali, Baja California
Baja California Sur
Los Cabos International Airport (IATA: SJD, ICAO: MMSD) - Los Cabos, Baja California Sur (top airport)
Manuel Márquez de León International Airport (IATA: LAP, ICAO: MMLP) - La Paz, Baja California Sur
Colima
Playa de Oro International Airport (IATA: ZLO, ICAO: MMZO) - Manzanillo, Colima
Guanajuato
Del Bajío International Airport (IATA: BJX, ICAO: MMLO) - León, Guanajuato
Jalisco
Don Miguel Hidalgo y Costilla International Airport (IATA: GDL, ICAO: MMGL) - Guadalajara, Jalisco (top airport)
Lic. Gustavo Díaz Ordaz International Airport (IATA: PVR, ICAO: MMPR) - Puerto Vallarta, Jalisco (top airport)
Michoacán
General Francisco J. Mujica International Airport (IATA: MLM, ICAO: MMMM) - Morelia, Michoacan
Sinaloa
Federal del Valle del Fuerte International Airport (IATA: LMM, ICAO: MMLM) - Los Mochis, Sinaloa
Sonora
General Ignacio Pesqueira Garcia International Airport (IATA: HMO, ICAO: MMHO) - Hermosillo, Sonora
Nareed
Nareed
September 27th, 2010 at 11:55:59 AM permalink
Quote: pacomartin

It seems like only yesterday that Grupo Aeroportuario del Pacífico was one of the darlings of the investment world.

For all I know it still is. The loss of Mexicana has affected domestic routes more than anything else. Routes to the US are being taken over by airlines based in America, which can increase frequencies to Mexico if they want to. Mexican airlines can't, due to the FAA's downgrade of Mexico to Category 2 (whatever that means).

The airports are empty, not neglected. I know Guadalajara's airport. It's similar in design to Monterrey's Terminal A, though maybe a little bigger. It has glass-walled jetways, too, which are very nice for us airport/airplane junkies.

Tijuana takes in a lot of traffic from Mex City, GDL, Morelia and Monterrey. I was last there in 1980, so I'm sure it's changed radically since. It was ok back then, perhaps a little sleepy overall without much activity.
mkl654321
mkl654321
  • Threads: 65
September 27th, 2010 at 2:26:43 PM permalink
Quote: Nareed

For all I know it still is. The loss of Mexicana has affected domestic routes more than anything else. Routes to the US are being taken over by airlines based in America, which can increase frequencies to Mexico if they want to. Mexican airlines can't, due to the FAA's downgrade of Mexico to Category 2 (whatever that means).

The airports are empty, not neglected. I know Guadalajara's airport. It's similar in design to Monterrey's Terminal A, though maybe a little bigger. It has glass-walled jetways, too, which are very nice for us airport/airplane junkies.

Tijuana takes in a lot of traffic from Mex City, GDL, Morelia and Monterrey. I was last there in 1980, so I'm sure it's changed radically since. It was ok back then, perhaps a little sleepy overall without much activity.

Whatever else Tijuana is these days, it isn't sleepy. For one thing, all the gunfire keeps everyone awake. I was there three months ago, and it is vibrant, chaotic, and a complete dump. Interesting place, though.

I don't see how a domestic Mexican airline can survive in the long run. There just isn't enough domestic demand. I would hazard a guess that the Mexican regulatory agencies are as corrupt and inefficient as the rest of the Mexican government--this is probably behind the downgrading to Category 2, which is a country's "safety rating". Nations with Category 2 ratings cannot establish new service to destinations in the US (though they may continue their existing service). When you have mechanics who don't tighten the bolts attaching the engines to the wings unless the pilot pays la mordida, your airlines aren't very safe.

Interestingly enough, Israel was recently downgraded to Category 2, because of terrorism threats.
The fact that a believer is happier than a skeptic is no more to the point than the fact that a drunken man is happier than a sober one. The happiness of credulity is a cheap and dangerous quality.---George Bernard Shaw
pacomartin
pacomartin
September 27th, 2010 at 2:30:01 PM permalink
Quote: mkl654321

I would hazard a guess that the Mexican regulatory agencies are as corrupt and inefficient as the rest of the Mexican government.

It is really not very nice to insult another country.
mkl654321
mkl654321
September 27th, 2010 at 3:32:50 PM permalink

That's true. That's why I didn't do that. The government of a country and the country itself are two different things, particularly in those countries where the citizens have no say, or very little say, in the workings of their governments. (The same distinction exists for this country, which is why terrorists murdering American citizens in imagined retaliation for the acts of our government is so abhorrent.)

Mexico is a beautiful and vibrant country with wonderful people, excellent cuisine, varied and fascinating topography and scenery, great beer, and cheap dope. However, its government is a combination of the Three Stooges and the Mafia. Vicente Fox was starting to at least apply Band-Aids to some of the problems, but he got the bum's rush in 2006.
The fact that a believer is happier than a skeptic is no more to the point than the fact that a drunken man is happier than a sober one. The happiness of credulity is a cheap and dangerous quality.---George Bernard Shaw
Nareed
Nareed
September 27th, 2010 at 3:39:05 PM permalink

You haven't blocked him yet?
pacomartin
pacomartin
September 27th, 2010 at 4:50:42 PM permalink

That's true. That's why I didn't do that. The government of a country and the country itself are two different things, particularly in those countries where the citizens have no say, or very little say, in the workings of their governments. (The same distinction exists for this country, which is why terrorists murdering American citizens in imagined retaliation for the acts of our government is so abhorrent.)

Mexico is a beautiful and vibrant country with wonderful people, excellent cuisine, varied and fascinating topography and scenery, great beer, and cheap dope. However, its government is a combination of the Three Stooges and the Mafia. Vicente Fox was starting to at least apply Band-Aids to some of the problems, but he got the bum's rush in 2006.

Just let Mexican people criticize their own government. In general it is better to err on the courteous side when discussing another government.

One of the most striking dark comedies in Mexico was called Herod's Law (original Spanish title La ley de Herodes). It is a 1999 Mexican comedy film produced by Bandidos Films; a political satire of corruption in Mexico and the long-ruling PRI party (notably the first Mexican film to criticize PRI explicitly by name). The film won the Ariel Award for Best Picture from the Mexican Academy of Film.
mkl654321
mkl654321
September 28th, 2010 at 12:38:41 PM permalink

You haven't blocked him yet?

Please block me, Nareed. Particularly since you consistently misconstrue the things I say.
mkl654321
mkl654321
September 28th, 2010 at 12:40:32 PM permalink

Just let Mexican people criticize their own government.

I will stop criticizing other countries' governments exactly one nanosecond after people in other countries stop criticizing ours.
EvenBob
EvenBob
  • Threads: 441
September 28th, 2010 at 1:59:22 PM permalink

I will stop criticizing other countries' governments exactly one nanosecond after people in other countries stop criticizing ours.

I don't understand how telling the truth about another country is 'insulting' them. The truth is the truth, live with it. They certainly love to trash the USA and most have never even been here. I've been to Mexico, no wonder they all want to come here.
"It's not called gambling if the math is on your side."
pacomartin
pacomartin
September 28th, 2010 at 3:27:27 PM permalink
Everyone knows that France lost to Germany in about 6 weeks. It is true, but it is not worth mentioning in a conversation other than a serious discussion of history.

Virtually anyone who reads the papers can list problems in Mexico as well as the USA. Unless you are actually discussing the problem there is no reason for backhanded commentary.
mkl654321
mkl654321
September 28th, 2010 at 3:54:59 PM permalink

Everyone knows that France lost to Germany in about 6 weeks. It is true, but it is not worth mentioning in a conversation other than a serious discussion of history.

Virtually anyone who reads the papers can list problems in Mexico as well as the USA. Unless you are actually discussing the problem there is no reason for backhanded commentary.

Somehow, I doubt that you would be as bothered by "backhanded commentary" about, say, Albania.

If someone wants to make such commentary, however, it is their right. One of the differences between the US and other countries (including Mexico) is that the right to express one's opinion is woven into the very fabric of our society; it is considered a fundamental right, not a privilege granted by some king or emperor.

And to address your comment about France, the fact that when they surrendered, they still had more soldiers in the field than the Germans did might indeed point to an element of the French national character (in 1940, of course). If someone wants to mention it, they will.

Criticism is a fundamental element of discourse. There are plenty of places in the world where you won't hear ANY criticism of anything or anybody. So if you don't like the way Americans discuss things, there are alternatives available.
Nareed
Nareed
September 28th, 2010 at 4:41:57 PM permalink

Your problem, Paco, is you're addressing people who wouldn't know good manners if their lives depended on it. You know, people who post on internet boards.
EvenBob
EvenBob
September 28th, 2010 at 4:49:55 PM permalink

Your problem, Paco, is you're addressing people who wouldn't know good manners if their lives depended on it. You know, people who post on internet boards.

The US Gov't must be bad mannered, then. Google 'travel warnings Mexico' and read some of the awful things they have to say. Kidnappings, killed Americans, violence, pickpockets, shootings, Danger, Will Robinson, Danger! I still don't see why telling the truth is wrong. If you want censorship, move to China. Oops, am I allowed to say that?
Nareed
Nareed
September 28th, 2010 at 8:33:59 PM permalink
Quote: EvenBob

The US Gov't must be bad mannered, then. Google 'travel warnings Mexico' and read some of the awful things they have to say. Kidnappings, killed Americans, violence, pickpockets, shootings, Danger, Will Robinson, Danger! I still don't see why telling the truth is wrong. If you want censorship, move to China. Oops, am I allowed to say that?

How does it feel to be that insecure? Do tell.
EvenBob
EvenBob
September 28th, 2010 at 8:55:21 PM permalink

The gov't is insecure? So in your opinion, just ignore problems and let people take their chances. I'm sure glad you're not in charge.
mkl654321
mkl654321
September 28th, 2010 at 9:35:08 PM permalink

Nareed, for an intelligent person, some of the things you say sure are stupid.

Anybody who contemplates setting foot in Mexico had better be damn well aware of the hazards. It may sound MEAN to point out the violence and corruption that rule that country, but those conditions are a reality.

You obviously don't feel that people should be allowed to express their opinions, which makes this forum and this country a strange place for you to be.
Calder
Calder
  • Threads: 5
September 28th, 2010 at 10:09:13 PM permalink
Holy crap, I agree with MKL!
Nareed
Nareed
September 29th, 2010 at 7:45:16 AM permalink
Quote: EvenBob

The gov't is insecure? So in your opinion, just ignore problems and let people take their chances. I'm sure glad you're not in charge.

No, your insecurity lies in reacting to a simple suggestion like a XIX Century Victorian maiden catching a glimpse of a nude man.

Paco is not suggesting nor implying you don't have a right to walk up to a French man, for example, and call him a cowardly ass-kisser of Nazi butchers. He just says it's neither polite nor a good idea. If you think that's an attack on freedom of speech, then obviously you have no idea what freedom of speech is.
mkl654321
mkl654321
September 29th, 2010 at 9:22:39 AM permalink

No, your insecurity lies in reacting to a simple suggestion like a XIX Century Victorian maiden catching a glimpse of a nude man.

Paco is not suggesting nor implying you don't have a right to walk up to a French man, for example, and call him a cowardly ass-kisser of Nazi butchers. He just says it's neither polite nor a good idea. If you think that's an attack on freedom of speech, then obviously you have no idea what freedom of speech is.

I think that your skill at constructing straw men must be related to the inherent weakness of the arguments for which you use those straw men as substitutes.

And please don't be a hypocrite. You have directly attacked free speech multiple times. You clearly don't think that people should be ALLOWED to say certain things. It's a valid point of view as far as it goes, and certainly, the majority of governments in the world today agree with you. It's not something we believe here in the US, however.

So just admit that you are, on principle, against free speech, and you'll restore yourself in our eyes. Differing opinions are respected in America, as is peoples' right to express them--even the opinion that people should not be allowed to express their opinions! However, hypocrisy is looked on less favorably. If you advocate mass censorship, then SAY so!
ruascott
ruascott
  • Threads: 17
September 29th, 2010 at 11:05:42 AM permalink
Holy crap, can't belive I am saying this but I tend to agree with mlk on this one. Not sure what he said that was all that insulting, he was just stating a basic public fact about the state od affairs in mexico. And considering how the country is so intertwined with policies and economics of the US, I don't think its a stretch to say that US citizens have a vested interest in the goings-on with the political problems within the country.
Nareed
Nareed
September 29th, 2010 at 11:26:08 AM permalink
Quote: ruascott

Holy crap, can't belive I am saying this but I tend to agree with mlk on this one.

So if you say "Mexico sucks" (short version) and Paco then tells you "It's not polite to say that in this context," does that mean Paco, or me since I agree with him, is a rabid enemy of free speech?
ruascott
ruascott
  • Threads: 17
September 29th, 2010 at 11:47:09 AM permalink

So if you say "Mexico sucks" (short version) and Paco then tells you "It's not polite to say that in this context," does that mean Paco, or me since I agree with him, is a rabid enemy of free speech?

I'm not sure anyone is a rabid enemy of free speech. Paco was just saying mlk was impolite. I suppose it could be taken that way but I never considered an internet forum a formal setting where users must be so proper.
Nareed
Nareed
September 29th, 2010 at 12:35:01 PM permalink

I'm not sure anyone is a rabid enemy of free speech. Paco was just saying mlk was impolite. I suppose it could be taken that way but I never considered an internet forum a formal setting where users must be so proper.

We were doing fine before Jerry Logan, mkl, mrjj and a few others showed up.
pacomartin
pacomartin
September 29th, 2010 at 1:25:02 PM permalink

Holy crap, can't belive I am saying this but I tend to agree with mlk on this one. Not sure what he said that was all that insulting, he was just stating a basic public fact about the state od affairs in mexico. And considering how the country is so intertwined with policies and economics of the US, I don't think its a stretch to say that US citizens have a vested interest in the goings-on with the political problems within the country.

Facts are facts. For instance Tijuana has a huge red-light district that has existed for most of the 20th century. Poor girls are brought in from the entire country for the use of men from all over the world who come to TJ for the brothels. The police force is dangerously corrupt and the actions of the narco trafficers who branch into kidnapping is apalling.

That said, I would not call TJ a corrupt city. It is the home of over a million hard working people, many of whom emigated there. If you steer clear of the red-light district the crime rate involving gringos is very low. There is a nice club scene, and a selection of excellent restaurants. The cities attempts to promote itself as a gastromic destination are largely overwhelmed by gringo fear, and the nuisance of crossing the border. I find the Tijuanese to be very friendly people.

The restaurant Cien Anos where all the recipes are at least 100 years old is fine dining in Mexico at it's best.
Quote: Frommer's

Cien Años Review
Hours Mon-Thurs 8am-11pm; Fri-Sat 8am-midnight; Sun 8am-10pm
Reservations recommended
Phone 888/534-6088 in the US, 664/634-3039
Prices Main courses $10-$25
Credit Cards MC, V

This is an elegant and gracious Zona Río restaurant offering artfully blended traditional Mexican flavors (tamarind, poblano chile, mango) in modern presentations. Try chiles rellenos stuffed with shrimp in lobster sauce, delicate calabaza (squash-blossom) soup, or chipotle oysters. The most adventurous diners can sample garlicky ant eggs or buttery guisanos (cactus worms). If you're interested in true haute cuisine, the buzz around Tijuana is all about this place.

Unless the blog is a discussion of a the problems of a country, or city (in the US or another foreign country) it is impolite to make backhanded insulting comments.
EvenBob
EvenBob
September 29th, 2010 at 10:40:11 PM permalink

Thats what the Catholics said about the Protestants.
mkl654321
mkl654321
September 29th, 2010 at 11:00:25 PM permalink

Ah. So Nareed is actually engaging in a territorial pissing contest. Now I understand.

I never said "Mexico sucks" or anything remotely similar. I did say that the Mexican GOVERNMENT sucks (in so many words). Nareed is deliberately ignoring that distinction, because he thinks that no one should be allowed to criticize Mexico. He can't be sincere in his accusations of "impoliteness" because I never said anything impolite about the country. To hammer home the distinction, I criticized Mexico's GOVERNMENT.

Its GOVERNMENT, Nareed. Its GOVERNMENT.
mkl654321
mkl654321
September 29th, 2010 at 11:05:37 PM permalink

Facts are facts. For instance Tijuana has a huge red-light district that has existed for most of the 20th century. Poor girls are brought in from the entire country for the use of men from all over the world who come to TJ for the brothels. The police force is dangerously corrupt and the actions of the narco trafficers who branch into kidnapping is apalling.

Unless the blog is a discussion of a the problems of a country, or city (in the US or another foreign country) it is impolite to make backhanded insulting comments.

Shame on you, pacomartin, for insulting Tijuana. Backhandedly, at that. For shame.

Do those crime statistics include extortion by the police, by the way? Do they report themselves when they try to shake down a gringo before they let him recross the border to get home? I ask this only because when the Tijuana policia robbed me of $40, they didn't give me a receipt.
EvenBob
EvenBob
September 29th, 2010 at 11:07:19 PM permalink

Ah. So Nareed is actually engaging in a territorial pissing contest. Now I understand.

I never said "Mexico sucks" or anything remotely similar. I did say that the Mexican GOVERNMENT sucks (in so many words). Nareed is deliberately ignoring that distinction, because he thinks that no one should be allowed to criticize Mexico. He can't be sincere in his accusations of "impoliteness" because I never said anything impolite about the country. To hammer home the distinction, I criticized Mexico's GOVERNMENT.

Its GOVERNMENT, Nareed. Its GOVERNMENT.

The Mexican gov't sucks, the Mexican police really sucks, Mexican water sucks, violent crime in Mexico sucks, etc. I won't go there anymore, its changed so much in the last 10 years.
pacomartin
pacomartin
September 30th, 2010 at 10:08:17 AM permalink

Shame on you, pacomartin, for insulting Tijuana. Backhandedly, at that. For shame.

Do those crime statistics include extortion by the police, by the way? Do they report themselves when they try to shake down a gringo before they let him recross the border to get home? I ask this only because when the Tijuana policia robbed me of $40, they didn't give me a receipt.

I was trying to show an example of moderate commentary. TJ has problems and the constant mini-shakedowns of the police are one of them. The incredibly fast growth has made it one of the most unattractive cities in North America.

But it has many positives. Nice engaging people, good restaurants, and fun clubs.
  • Jump to: