billryan
billryan 
  • Threads: 63
July 7th, 2017 at 1:48:33 AM permalink
I think the hardest part would getting performers. Comedians ,I imagine, don't want to do other peoples material and actors might have a hard time with the timing.
I'd pay to see a Night of Abbot and Costello, with some other skits thrown in.
It's what you do and not what you say If you're not part of the future then get out of the way
Mosca
Mosca
  • Threads: 170
July 7th, 2017 at 1:26:37 PM permalink
There are some really impressive Abbot and Costello recreators. I've seen these guys a few times, the bits seem completely fresh.

https://youtu.be/2C3X1ocu2BI
NO KILL I
Ayecarumba
Ayecarumba
  • Threads: 206
Thanks for this post from:
monet0412
July 7th, 2017 at 2:58:26 PM permalink
What is the "Target Demographic"? A lot of the 21 - 45 year olds don't even know who these "classic" comedians are, much less their "bits". There is a reason Vaudville and the Ringling Bros. Circus are taking dirt naps.
America is all about speed. Hot, nasty, bad-ass speed. - Eleanor Roosevelt, 1936
billryan
billryan 
  • Threads: 63
July 7th, 2017 at 3:30:57 PM permalink
Ringling Brothers went out broke because traveling expenses cut too far into revenues.
Many years ago, Bob Weir, of Dead fame proposed building a 10,000 seat arena and having their fans travel to it, rather than the Dead touring 250 nights a year. It never happened but many acts now take residencies rather than tour.
As for demographics, who knows.
It's what you do and not what you say If you're not part of the future then get out of the way
monet0412
monet0412
  • Threads: 9
TropicalElectri
July 7th, 2017 at 4:09:22 PM permalink
Quote: billryan

Ringling Brothers went out broke because traveling expenses cut too far into revenues.
Many years ago, Bob Weir, of Dead fame proposed building a 10,000 seat arena and having their fans travel to it, rather than the Dead touring 250 nights a year. It never happened but many acts now take residencies rather than tour.
As for demographics, who knows.

I empathize with your thoughts here but agree with Ayecarumba. Those days are over and aren't coming back. The nice thing is that you can get most of the material on DVD these days or watch it on YouTube. Years ago I was having a tough time finding "The Joker is Wild" with Sinatra or some know the movie as "All the Way" but I finally found a copy and recently I seen it was uploaded to YouTube. Great line in that movie about a Horse Room. It goes something like... What good is a home without a Horse Room?? Do you really want to watch some hacks knocking off A and C?? Those guys are funny but it's like my Bogey collection or Barbara Stanwick movies... best in its original format with the original players. Honestly the new generation has no idea about this stuff nor cares to know. Too busy listening to Hip Hop and Face Booking or whatever else they do. They aren't going to sit down and listen to who's on first? They would be bored stiff and texting or surfing on the cell phone missing the show. I took some young people to a hockey game a few years ago and they watched the iPhone and hardly looked at the game. Last time I took them anywhere. Also it seems people like to watch things while recording shows right in front of my seat and I can't see the show... mother @&$&@'s!!
beachbumbabs
Administrator
beachbumbabs
  • Threads: 77
July 7th, 2017 at 10:41:59 PM permalink
Quote: Ayecarumba

What is the "Target Demographic"? A lot of the 21 - 45 year olds don't even know who these "classic" comedians are, much less their "bits". There is a reason Vaudville and the Ringling Bros. Circus are taking dirt naps.

I see it the other way. With good selection, the timeless funny stuff would be fresh and new to the kids who weren't around the first time. A huge amount of the stuff they find funny now is directly derivative of the classics.

Gotta agree with monet on part of his, too. I don't go to a show to look at the back of somebody's hands holding their phone high. I don't get all the second-hand living of their lives at all. Too busy taking selfies and making videos to actually experience something.
"If the house lost every hand, they wouldn't deal the game."
FleaStiff
FleaStiff
  • Threads: 211
July 8th, 2017 at 8:55:06 AM permalink
Alot of music gets released and becomes popular with a new audience but is in reality a top of the charts best seller from a bygone era.

I think music and standup comedy are pretty much the same in this way. You just have to update the parts about a nickle for a beer or a dime for a phone call or a car with a running board.
FatGeezus
FatGeezus
  • Threads: 6
July 8th, 2017 at 9:03:52 AM permalink
Quote: beachbumbabs

I see it the other way. With good selection, the timeless funny stuff would be fresh and new to the kids who weren't around the first time. A huge amount of the stuff they find funny now is directly derivative of the classics.

Why pay to watch classic comedy acts on stage when you can watch the originals on the internet for free.
Puckerbutt
Puckerbutt
  • Threads: 1
July 8th, 2017 at 9:24:36 AM permalink
Quote: Ayecarumba

What is the "Target Demographic"? A lot of the 21 - 45 year olds don't even know who these "classic" comedians are, much less their "bits".

Were you doing a Bennett Brauer skit in written form?
rsactuary
rsactuary
  • Threads: 7
beachbumbabs
July 8th, 2017 at 9:28:08 AM permalink
Quote: FatGeezus

Why pay to watch classic comedy acts on stage when you can watch the originals on the internet for free.

Because there is something about seeing a performance live that can't be beat.

• Jump to: