monet0412
monet0412
  • Threads: 9
July 18th, 2017 at 6:54:10 PM permalink
Quote: Ibeatyouraces

ALL religions are myths. Just the same as Greek mythology, Roman mythology, Norse mythology, etc. It's phony garbage, PERIOD! Not one bit of any it is true.

I do not think even you believe your last statement. One example... the Old Testament is full of ancient battles that are certainly true and those Kings, people, countries, rivers, lakes, seas, oceans did exist.

This Movie Scene is pretty good... true or not it is clever and who doesn't enjoy a good old fashioned Revenge Movie.

Abbe Faria: Here is your final lesson... do not commit the crime for which you now serve the sentence.
God said... Vengeance is mine!

Edmond Dantes: I don't believe in God.

Abbe Faria: It doesn't matter... He believes in you!!
Ibeatyouraces
Ibeatyouraces
  • Threads: 63
July 18th, 2017 at 7:30:03 PM permalink
Quote: monet0412

I do not think even you believe your last statement. One example... the Old Testament is full of ancient battles that are certainly true and those Kings, people, countries, rivers, lakes, seas, oceans did exist.

This Movie Scene is pretty good... true or not it is clever and who doesn't enjoy a good old fashioned Revenge Movie.

Abbe Faria: Here is your final lesson... do not commit the crime for which you now serve the sentence.

The bolded part I'll concede. But as for people, not one person named has been proven to have existed.
"And that's the bottom lineeeee, cuz Stone Cold said so!"
MrV
MrV
  • Threads: 273
July 18th, 2017 at 7:49:17 PM permalink
I posit that the key factor which underpins people's "need" for religion is fear of death, of our egos simply being extinguished.

Once we reconcile ourselves to the realities of life, the veil of delusion falls away.

It's like Funkadlic sang: "Free your mind and your ass will follow."
"What, me worry?"
monet0412
monet0412
July 18th, 2017 at 8:09:32 PM permalink
Quote: Ibeatyouraces

The bolded part I'll concede. But as for people, not one person named has been proven to have existed.

Oh none of the Kings of Babylon, Persia or Assyria existed that are mentioned in the Bible? Surely some of the Pharaohs of Egypt in the Bible must of existed? Heck even my video game Civilization agrees that King Nebuchadnezzar, Cyrus and Darius existed. There are many websites about Biblical Archaeology. This is just one that says around 50 people have been proven in the bible through Archaeology. Even Dr. Jones and Dr. Jones Sr. had to admit some of the figures in the Bible existed.

http://www.biblicalarchaeology.org/daily/people-cultures-in-the-bible/people-in-the-bible/50-people-in-the-bible-confirmed-archaeologically/

I find it interesting that the names of land, water and countries that are mentioned in the Bible existed but the people mentioned could never have existed.

I am guessing that people in 2000 years will doubt the existence of Stone Cold Steve Austin.

Some people currently do not believe in the Holocaust. I am willing to bet in 2000 years some people will doubt that Hitler or WW2 ever existed.
Last edited by: monet0412 on Jul 18, 2017
monet0412
monet0412
July 18th, 2017 at 8:59:12 PM permalink
Quote: lilredrooster

in the Bible, New Testament and old, God and/or Jesus intervenes to help suffering people with their worldly misery. in our modern world there is no divine intervention to help many millions who suffer in misery with poverty, disease and war. they just suffer and die in a a state of misery.

I think you might want to go back and read the Bible. Old and New. God was wiping out people left and right. He let his son hang on a cross for for good reason. 400 years of bondage in the Old Book before he showed up with Moses. Does God intervene today? I certainly believe he does but he is hand cuffed because Man doesn't want or need God because he has Sin, Pleasure and his new religion Science. God doesn't show up to people that refuse his help. Jesus was pretty big on telling anyone he healed that it was their faith that healed them. Jesus had some difficulty and was amazaed that he could do little miracles and healing in his home town. He even stated that a Profit is not welcome in his own town or something like that. Most of the problem is that people don't actually take the time to read and learn things on their own. Most people just repeat what someone else told them.
lilredrooster
lilredrooster
  • Threads: 85
July 19th, 2017 at 2:20:49 AM permalink

Does God intervene today? I certainly believe he does but he is hand cuffed because Man doesn't want or need God because he has Sin, Pleasure and his new religion Science. God doesn't show up to people that refuse his help.

Hard for me to accept that all of the millions of suffering people are sinners or apostates or have refused his help. Or are they collateral damage? And the children? I guess God feels they need to suffer because of the sins of their parents. Mysterious ways.
everybody wants to go to heaven. but nobody wants to die.
BTLWI
BTLWI
  • Threads: 4
July 20th, 2017 at 3:05:46 PM permalink
https://youtu.be/Ysecinv367w
billryan
billryan
  • Threads: 67
July 20th, 2017 at 3:47:31 PM permalink
A terrible storm came into a town and local officials sent out an emergency warning that the riverbanks would soon overflow and flood the nearby homes. They ordered everyone in the town to evacuate immediately.
A faithful Christian man heard the warning and decided to stay, saying to himself, “I will trust God and if I am in danger, then God will send a divine miracle to save me.”
The neighbors came by his house and said to him, “We’re leaving and there is room for you in our car, please come with us!” But the man declined. “I have faith that God will save me.”
As the man stood on his porch watching the water rise up the steps, a man in a canoe paddled by and called to him, “Hurry and come into my canoe, the waters are rising quickly!” But the man again said, “No thanks, God will save me.”
The floodwaters rose higher pouring water into his living room and the man had to retreat to the second floor. A police motorboat came by and saw him at the window. “We will come up and rescue you!” they shouted. But the man refused, waving them off saying, “Use your time to save someone else! I have faith that God will save me!”
The flood waters rose higher and higher and the man had to climb up to his rooftop.
A helicopter spotted him and dropped a rope ladder. A rescue officer came down the ladder and pleaded with the man, "Grab my hand and I will pull you up!" But the man STILL refused, folding his arms tightly to his body. “No thank you! God will save me!”
Shortly after, the house broke up and the floodwaters swept the man away and he drowned.
When in Heaven, the man stood before God and asked, “I put all of my faith in You. Why didn’t You come and save me?”
And God said, “Son, I sent you a warning. I sent you a car. I sent you a canoe. I sent you a motorboat. I sent you a helicopter. What more were you looking for?
It's what you do and not what you say If you're not part of the future then get out of the way
ChesterDog
ChesterDog 
  • Threads: 6
July 20th, 2017 at 4:00:42 PM permalink
Speaking of legal weed (lol), I'm reminded of my public school's third-grade teacher, Mrs. W., leading us in saying the Lord's Prayer. (This was before church was separated from state.) As we recited, "...as we forgive those who trespass against us; and lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from evil," one of the Catholic girls said, "Amen." Mrs. W. sternly asked, "Who said, 'Amen?'" I was surprised that she didn't know that Catholics end the prayer at that point. Of course, she and other Protestants would continue on with, "For thine is the Kingdom, the power, and the glory now and forever. Amen."
LuckyPhow
LuckyPhow
  • Threads: 34
July 21st, 2017 at 3:32:53 PM permalink

I think you might want to go back and read the Bible. ... Most of the problem is that people don't actually take the time to read and learn things on their own. Most people just repeat what someone else told them.

IMHO one cannot truly understand the Bible without an understanding of the people who selected (and edited) the books they allowed (in 367 AD, IIRC) into the final Christian canon. Of the more than 5,000 original Bible texts (in ancient Greek, mostly on papyri (and some from scrolls), virtually none of them agree one with another. As one religious historian put it, "There are more differences among our manuscripts than there are words in the New Testament."

And, even after 367 AD, there were major changes. Consider the famous punch-line of the story of the woman taken in adultry: "Let the one without sin among you be the first to cast a stone at her." This was not added until the 12th Century. Also, no early Bible manuscript referenced the doctrine of the Father-Son-Spirit trinity until around the time of the printing press. (And THAT biblical manuscript is largely believed to have been written at that time so printed versions of the Bible could include it, but it's Greek so differs from other papyri as to make it extremely suspect.)

The history of the Bible, and the machinations of those who compiled it presents a fascinating view of how Christianity changed over time. But, you cannot get that story unless you are willing to go outside the Bible itself, and to view how the secret sauce was actually made. Amen.

• Jump to: