TumblingBones
TumblingBones
Joined: Dec 25, 2016
  • Threads: 8
  • Posts: 91
June 29th, 2017 at 3:38:00 AM permalink
Hate to bust the bubble of everyone who sees this as another Big Brother moment but if you take the time to read the proposed law it states:
"USE OF AN ELECTRONIC SCANNING DEVICE SHALL BE LIMITED TO DETERMINING WHETHER THE OPERATOR OF A MOTOR VEHICLE WAS USING A MOBILE TELEPHONE OR PORTABLE ELECTRONIC DEVICE IN VIOLATION OF EITHER SUCH SECTION AT OR NEAR THE TIME OF THE ACCIDENT OR COLLISION WHICH PROVIDES THE GROUNDS FOR SUCH TESTING.
FURTHERMORE, NO SUCH ELECTRONIC SCAN SHALL INCLUDE THE CONTENT OR ORIGIN OF ANY COMMUNICATION OR GAME CONDUCTED, OR IMAGE OR ELECTRONIC DATA VIEWED, ON A MOBILE TELEPHONE OR PORTABLE ELECTRONIC DEVICE."
Zcore13
Zcore13
Joined: Nov 30, 2009
  • Threads: 30
  • Posts: 2527
June 29th, 2017 at 4:09:29 AM permalink
Info on the scanner

ZCore13
I am an employee of a Casino. All the personal opinions I post are my own and do not represent the opinions of the Casino or Tribe that I work for.
SOOPOO
SOOPOO
Joined: Aug 8, 2010
  • Threads: 89
  • Posts: 3954
June 29th, 2017 at 5:28:10 AM permalink
Quote: TumblingBones

Hate to bust the bubble of everyone who sees this as another Big Brother moment but if you take the time to read the proposed law it states:
"USE OF AN ELECTRONIC SCANNING DEVICE SHALL BE LIMITED TO DETERMINING WHETHER THE OPERATOR OF A MOTOR VEHICLE WAS USING A MOBILE TELEPHONE OR PORTABLE ELECTRONIC DEVICE IN VIOLATION OF EITHER SUCH SECTION AT OR NEAR THE TIME OF THE ACCIDENT OR COLLISION WHICH PROVIDES THE GROUNDS FOR SUCH TESTING.
FURTHERMORE, NO SUCH ELECTRONIC SCAN SHALL INCLUDE THE CONTENT OR ORIGIN OF ANY COMMUNICATION OR GAME CONDUCTED, OR IMAGE OR ELECTRONIC DATA VIEWED, ON A MOBILE TELEPHONE OR PORTABLE ELECTRONIC DEVICE."



So this will only hurt you if you were committing a crime. If you were not illegally texting while driving nothing happens. I am willing to give up some freedoms to protect me from the idiot who texts and drives. Lock em up!
Hunterhill
Hunterhill
Joined: Aug 1, 2011
  • Threads: 38
  • Posts: 1423
June 29th, 2017 at 6:39:28 AM permalink
Quote: SOOPOO

So this will only hurt you if you were committing a crime. If you were not illegally texting while driving nothing happens. I am willing to give up some freedoms to protect me from the idiot who texts and drives. Lock em up!


This is why we need self driving cars,so people can text while driving. They do it now anyways.
Never mind red light cameras, if states and cities really want to make money they should go after people who text and drive,it's an epidemic.
The mountain is tall but the grass grows on top of the mountain.
Skeptic
Skeptic
Joined: Dec 9, 2015
  • Threads: 5
  • Posts: 133
June 29th, 2017 at 6:51:40 AM permalink
Quote: gamerfreak

This isn't possible on an Apple phone if it's encrypted. We went through this big todo with that San Bernardino shooter's phone.

Android is a whole different beast.



That isn't entirely accurate. They eventually did get into that iPhone (without Apple's help). Only the very latest model iPhone makes it difficult and it won't be long before there's a way around that.
TumblingBones
TumblingBones
Joined: Dec 25, 2016
  • Threads: 8
  • Posts: 91
June 29th, 2017 at 7:54:47 AM permalink
Quote: gamerfreak

This isn't possible on an Apple phone if it's encrypted. We went through this big todo with that San Bernardino shooter's phone.

Android is a whole different beast.


I don't know much about the guts of iOS having mostly worked in the Android ecosystem but would their security architecture prevent the kind of traffic analysis that seems to be the goal here? I know they encrypt the user data but this seems to be more focused on getting the data collected by the OS regarding app activity. I took a quick look at the iOS10 security docs but the only relevant item I saw was the ability of user to turn off the collection of usage data. Any iOS developers on the thread have a better understanding of why an iPhone would be any different from an Android as far as this type of analysis?
RS
RS
Joined: Feb 11, 2014
  • Threads: 49
  • Posts: 5458
June 29th, 2017 at 8:37:09 AM permalink
What if you're texting using the "hey Siri" or "okay google" voice functions? That's pretty much what I do when I'm driving.

Then again, I don't live in CA or NY. Unfortunately NV is getting closer and closer....
"should of played 'Go Fish' today ya peasant" -typoontrav
AxelWolf
AxelWolf
Joined: Oct 10, 2012
  • Threads: 115
  • Posts: 12641
June 29th, 2017 at 9:41:51 AM permalink
Quote: RogerKint

All they need to do is hire some suspicious girlfriends with trust issues on the force.

So all females in a relationship are candidates.
♪♪Now you swear and kick and beg us That you're not a gamblin' man Then you find you're back in Vegas With a handle in your hand♪♪ Your black cards can make you money So you hide them when you're able In the land of casinos and money You must put them on the table♪♪ You go back Jack do it again roulette wheels turinin' 'round and 'round♪♪ You go back Jack do it again♪♪
rsactuary
rsactuary
Joined: Sep 6, 2014
  • Threads: 7
  • Posts: 791
June 29th, 2017 at 9:49:02 AM permalink
so if someone were to text you while you're driving and you had an accident at that moment (for sake of this discussion, let's say you didn't even read the text), would that qualify as use of your phone?
RS
RS
Joined: Feb 11, 2014
  • Threads: 49
  • Posts: 5458
June 29th, 2017 at 9:51:51 AM permalink
Quote: rsactuary

so if someone were to text you while you're driving and you had an accident at that moment (for sake of this discussion, let's say you didn't even read the text), would that qualify as use of your phone?


I'd hope the "machine doohicky" could tell the difference between a viewed and unviewed text message.
"should of played 'Go Fish' today ya peasant" -typoontrav

  • Jump to: