bobbartop
bobbartop
  • Threads: 133
March 10th, 2017 at 10:34:17 PM permalink
Anyone else annoyed or concerned about logging into this forum with Firefox 52?

I must have upgraded without paying attention. Now I login to the forum and it notifies me that I am risking logging into an unsecure site.

Just happened to me a few days ago. I skipped it and logged in with another browser. Fwiw, I use Linux so maybe it's unique to that.

Freaking Russians!
'Emergencies' have always been the pretext on which the safeguards of individual liberty have been eroded.
BleedingChipsSlowly
BleedingChipsSlowly
  • Threads: 23
Thanked by
bobbartop
March 11th, 2017 at 12:43:04 AM permalink
If you weren't concerned before, don't be concerned now: the risk hasn't changed, now you are just being notified it exists. Google's Chrome has been flagging insecure sites since January but less obtrusively by just displaying an icon showing sites are not using HTTPS (HTTP with SSL/TLS) encryption. An industry push for using that encryption is changing tone from "not recommended" to "unacceptable" for sites that don't comply. Firefox is just going along with that push by explicitly informing browser users of unencrypted connections when they are asked for data input.

You would think this site's caretakers, who specialize in optimizing design, would have include using HTTPS in the site conversion after purchase.
“You don’t bring a bone saw to a negotiation.” - Robert Jordan, former U.S. ambassador to Saudi Arabia
DrawingDead
DrawingDead
  • Threads: 9
Thanked by
bobbartopbeachbumbabs
March 11th, 2017 at 3:30:00 AM permalink
I'm also running Linux on my desktop machine. So I opened Firefox just for this reply, but didn't get any of that unique crap of theirs requiring me to swear that I'm an intentional imbecile while doing a few virtual jumping jacks before letting me do some of the most innocuous stuff. It thinks I'm consorting with ebola-toting terrorists when I set out to make a supermarket grocery list, but at least for today it still doesn't seem to have any problem with the deranged degenerates of the WoV forum. I wonder if it would really prefer hanging out with Cheap-UK-Kitchens instead, when it screams to run for cover and the cops to be called on the State Dept of Transportation's basic public road condition info.

I see mine is still version 51.0.1 instead of 52, and there's no "upgrade" waiting in the queue for the package installer. Maybe due to a difference in timing among Linux distros? In general, I think Firefox has become an obnoxious prudish nag these days, sneering disapproval of everything from plain vanilla email accounts to the weather, and refusing to remember a "yes means yes, dammit" answer for very long. So I usually keep it chained in the basement & go out to play ball with one of the other nine useful Linux OS browsers on my desktop that behave better.
Suck dope, watch TV, make up stuff, be somebody on the internet.
Zuga
Administrator
Zuga
  • Threads: 50
Thanked by
bobbartopbeachbumbabsBleedingChipsSlowly
March 11th, 2017 at 10:40:11 AM permalink
the plan is to have WoV on a secure connection, like WoO
"All it takes for evil to prevail is for good people to do nothing "
BleedingChipsSlowly
BleedingChipsSlowly
June 11th, 2017 at 5:43:58 PM permalink
When?
“You don’t bring a bone saw to a negotiation.” - Robert Jordan, former U.S. ambassador to Saudi Arabia
BleedingChipsSlowly
BleedingChipsSlowly
August 28th, 2017 at 6:16:48 PM permalink
Answer: August 25, 2017. The security nags mentioned in the OP will no longer happen.
  • Jump to: