steeldco
steeldco
  • Threads: 52
March 10th, 2017 at 2:39:26 PM permalink
So I see where the Trumps are taking credit for the jobs number released this morning. The growth of 235,000.
Why would they? Last February it was 242,000. They want to take credit for a decline? What am I missing?
Am I misunderstanding something?
Are they misunderstanding something?
Are the lilliputians in Trumpland being delusional again?
Are they so dumb as to want to take credit for a slight slowdown?

We all know that Trumpy has done nothing to impact February numbers. I would have normally just blamed Obama, but I guess if Trumpy wants the blame, so be it.
DO NOT blindly accept what has been spoken. DO NOT blindly accept what has been written. Think. Assess. Lead. DO NOT blindly follow.
bbvk05
bbvk05
  • Threads: 7
March 10th, 2017 at 2:53:25 PM permalink
Presidents take too much blame and get too much credit for small economic changes. It's worth noting, however, that the recent stock market run has been remarkable. It's hard to say that optimism for the economy under Trump deregulation and tax cuts wasn't a factor there.

The jobs number is a robust number. You decline point is not well taken.
RS
RS
  • Threads: 62
March 10th, 2017 at 9:59:03 PM permalink
Quote: steeldco

So I see where the Trumps are taking credit for the jobs number released this morning. The growth of 235,000.
Why would they? Last February it was 242,000. They want to take credit for a decline? What am I missing?
Am I misunderstanding something?
Are they misunderstanding something?
Are the lilliputians in Trumpland being delusional again?
Are they so dumb as to want to take credit for a slight slowdown?

We all know that Trumpy has done nothing to impact February numbers. I would have normally just blamed Obama, but I guess if Trumpy wants the blame, so be it.

Something ain't adding up here. What's the 235k and 242k represent? Are you saying last February there was a growth of 242k and this February was 235k?
darkoz
darkoz
  • Threads: 297
March 11th, 2017 at 12:31:50 AM permalink
Quote: RS

Something ain't adding up here. What's the 235k and 242k represent? Are you saying last February there was a growth of 242k and this February was 235k?

Yes thats exactly what he is saying

"The U.S. has experienced 77 consecutive months of job growth. Last February, the U.S. added 233,000 jobs."

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.theatlantic.com/amp/article/519183/
For Whom the bus tolls; The bus tolls for thee
RonC
RonC
  • Threads: 40
Thanked by
Rigondeaux
March 11th, 2017 at 12:55:53 AM permalink
The numbers "inside the numbers" that are a problem for me have not changed all that much. The underemployment numbers characteristic of the Obama Presidency has not yet been reversed:

"The number of persons employed part time for economic reasons (sometimes
referred to as involuntary part-time workers) was little changed at 5.7 million
in February. These individuals, who would have preferred full-time employment,
were working part time because their hours had been cut back or because they
were unable to find full-time jobs."

https://www.bls.gov/news.release/empsit.nr0.htm

It doesn't matter who is President; I won't consider the unemployment number presented (+235k in this case) as the "be all, end all" number when the deeper numbers show that many people are still struggling to find full-time employment and things of that sort.

We'll see where the numbers go from here, but I am unimpressed by these numbers. I am glad more people have jobs of some sort than did at the height of the recession, but a lot of those people are struggling with less than full-time employment.
Tanko
Tanko
  • Threads: 0
March 11th, 2017 at 2:45:02 AM permalink
A year ago, the biggest increases were in the lower paying and less stable service areas of retail trade, healthcare and social assistance, and leisure and hospitality.

Retail lost 26,000 jobs in this latest report.

Mining and manufacturing lost thousands of jobs in February of 2016.

"We're gonna put a lot of coal miners and coal companies out of business." - Hillary

Imagine being a worker in the coal industry, trying to provide for your family and hearing that.

This year, American corporations are responding to Trump's commitment to reducing corporate taxes and protecting American manufacturing jobs.

In February 2017, the biggest increases were in mining, construction and manufacturing, which are typically higher paying full time jobs.

Bureau of Labor Statistics

Foreign companies are responding as well. Infosys, is an Indian software company that applied for 100,000 H-1B visas to replace IT workers in the US. In direct response to Trump’s opposition to hiring foreign workers to replace Americans, Infosys co-founder Naranya Murthy called upon Indian companies to stop using H-1B workers and recruit American residents. MSN
steeldco
steeldco
March 11th, 2017 at 5:46:42 AM permalink
Quote: RS

Yes. That is what I am saying. Not that it's a big deal but the headlines are misrepresenting the facts. Was it a good number? Yes.
But no better than a year ago.
DO NOT blindly accept what has been spoken. DO NOT blindly accept what has been written. Think. Assess. Lead. DO NOT blindly follow.
steeldco
steeldco
March 11th, 2017 at 5:47:45 AM permalink
My biggest problem with these types of news events is that Trumpy supporters just accept and believe what Trumpy and his Lilliputians say. The media is really no better. They may, or may not, point out the lies and inaccuracies depending on whether they support the liars involved at the time. They even create lies. The media spins to fill time. They create, where there is no news, something to fill time. This thing where some outlets are now trying to say that many people are upset about the way the attorneys were fired, or let go. What a bunch a crap. It happens all the time. The attorneys knew it was coming. There is no story here yet they use it as a means to portray a poor administration. Typical media crap. So much time needs to be spent in sorting the truth from fiction that there is no time to devote to developing educated opinions.

Back to my biggest problem. The acceptance of lies by supporters. It is amazing to me that no one is held accountable for either being dumb and misrepresenting the facts, or just lying and being deceitful. Why aren’t people held accountable? This acceptance of lies is not just by Trumpy supporters.

The extremist Imams preaching hatred and violence, and their suppporters, are no different from Trumpy and his supporters. They are wolves of different species, but wolves nonetheless.

Helmet headed President=Rag headed extremist Imams. They act the same. Just with different causes. So SAD!

Just as sad are the supporters who cannot formulate beliefs and thoughts on their own.
I have now learned to believe that the opposite of what is spoken by Trump is probably the truth. I do my best to confirm and I will probably find that believing the opposite will be the right thing to do the majority of the time.

I look around and ask who will rise and lead? There are very few in either political party that are capable. And the answer does not lie in deconstructing that which made America Great in the past.

VERY SAD!
steeldco
steeldco
March 11th, 2017 at 5:48:25 AM permalink
BTW, my apologies for the use of a couple of derogatory terms.....just pissed here.
beachbumbabs
beachbumbabs
  • Threads: 100
March 11th, 2017 at 9:19:24 AM permalink

BTW, my apologies for the use of a couple of derogatory terms.....just pissed here.

I did not see anything beyond the confines of the forum rules, so no issue there. But I think you said some important truth. Thanks.

I think there's a growing pile of evidence that much of what Trump says seems wildly off-base and inflammatory, but is actually calculated to deflect, project, or distract. And I blame the media for enabling that, right from week 1 of his candidacy, through today. For example, what is it, a week now, wall to wall coverage of Trump tweeting his lies about being wiretapped, trying to deflect the story about his Russian connections, including Flynn, Manafort, and a couple other guys?

He's running out the clock on getting whatever he's promised or obligated to them done. We still haven't seen his taxes or unspooled his foreign ties. I think it's all about that big oil deal Tillerson was involved with that got killed by sanctions.
If the House lost every hand, they wouldn't deal the game.
steeldco
steeldco
March 11th, 2017 at 11:15:03 AM permalink
beachbumbabs, am I way out in left field to think that Trumpy is showing signs of some alzheimers?
TigerWu
TigerWu
  • Threads: 26
March 11th, 2017 at 11:25:19 AM permalink
Quote: Tanko

"We're gonna put a lot of coal miners and coal companies out of business." - Hillary

Imagine being a worker in the coal industry, trying to provide for your family and hearing that.

She said in that same speech, though, that she wanted to help those exact same people get jobs in the renewable energy industry.
beachbumbabs
beachbumbabs
  • Threads: 100
March 11th, 2017 at 12:15:36 PM permalink
Quote: tanko

"We're gonna put a lot of lamplighters and candle makers out of business." - Thomas

"We're gonna put a lot of horses and buggy makers out of business." - Henry

Etc.

As astutely noted above, this sentence, taken out of the context of her speech, which was brutal honesty while offering retraining and assistance in the dusk of a dying industry, is at best misleading on its intent.

It's been obvious for several decades that coal is declining as green technology develops, that it's dangerous for the workers, that it's bad for the environment from greenhouse gasses to tailings polluting waterways.

When you punish politicians for telling the truth about a problem (the first step towards real solutions) well...then you get liars like Trump instead, or even Hillary lying more than she otherwise might.

... alzheimers..?

I think (since you asked), with only my m-i-l to go on (met her when she was stage 3, she died 5 years later), it's at least possible; there are some similarities. But I think it's maybe more a deterioration of a basic tendency towards slyness, egomania, and narcissism that's always been present. Or more public exposure than there's ever been of how he has always conducted himself. He's been lying or spinning or deflecting stuff for decades, usually socially, but also in business dealings that have come to light.

There's tape 20-30 years old somewhere about him bragging on suckering an investor on something. I can't remember the exact details, but the situation was that he was broke or overextended on something he was building here in the US. He took his pigeon to lunch at a place overlooking the work site. And, for that day only, he hired a fleet of bulldozers and heavy equipment to come and push dirt around so it looked like a going concern and fit his narrative. And the guy bought it.

Some folks think that's admirable, or all's fair in business"To me, that's the epitome of how Trump operates: smoke and mirrors, lies and exaggeration, deflection and cheating. No different from how he's trying to run the country. Possibly exacerbated by mental illness. But many decades of mostly getting away with it.
If the House lost every hand, they wouldn't deal the game.
rxwine
rxwine
  • Threads: 211
March 11th, 2017 at 12:53:47 PM permalink
Just something to consider.

Quote:

Our brains are particularly ill-equipped to deal with lies when they come not singly but in a constant stream, and Trump, we know, lies constantly, about matters as serious as the election results and as trivial as the tiles at Mar-a-Lago. (According to his butler, Anthony Senecal, Trump once said the tiles in a nursery at the West Palm Beach club had been made by Walt Disney himself; when Senecal protested, Trump had a single response: “Who cares?”)

When we are overwhelmed with false, or potentially false, statements, our brains pretty quickly become so overworked that we stop trying to sift through everything. It’s called cognitive load—our limited cognitive resources are overburdened. It doesn’t matter how implausible the statements are; throw out enough of them, and people will inevitably absorb some. Eventually, without quite realizing it, our brains just give up trying to figure out what is true.

http://www.politico.com/magazine/story/2017/01/donald-trump-lies-liar-effect-brain-214658
There's no secret. Just know what you're talking about before you open your mouth.
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
  • Threads: 1493
March 11th, 2017 at 1:53:52 PM permalink
Quote: beachbumbabs

For example, what is it, a week now, wall to wall coverage of Trump tweeting his lies about being wiretapped, trying to deflect the story about his Russian connections, including Flynn, Manafort, and a couple other guys?

The media is absolutely right to put a huge emphasis on that. One of two things must be the case:

1. Trump is right and Obama is guilty of worse abuses of power than Nixon.
2. Trump is mentally unstable and not capable of distinguishing realty from the alt-right spin he listens to.

Either of these things should be extremely troubling. It should get as much attention as the Watergate story did. The only down side is that it does distract from the alleged Russian connections to the Trump campaign, which is also important, but as I understand it, we're still in the fact finding stage of that. We may as well focus on the wiretapping story while its hot.
"For with much wisdom comes much sorrow." -- Ecclesiastes 1:18 (NIV)
bobbartop
bobbartop
  • Threads: 133
March 11th, 2017 at 2:14:49 PM permalink

For example, what is it, a week now, wall to wall coverage of Trump tweeting his lies about being wiretapped, trying to deflect the story about his Russian connections, including Flynn, Manafort, and a couple other guys?

Sounds like that's all settled.
'Emergencies' have always been the pretext on which the safeguards of individual liberty have been eroded.
Dalex64
Dalex64
  • Threads: 1
March 11th, 2017 at 5:15:22 PM permalink
Quote: Wizard

The media is absolutely right to put a huge emphasis on that. One of two things must be the case:

1. Trump is right and Obama is guilty of worse abuses of power than Nixon.
2. Trump is mentally unstable and not capable of distinguishing realty from the alt-right spin he listens to.

Either of these things should be extremely troubling. It should get as much attention as the Watergate story did. The only down side is that it does distract from the alleged Russian connections to the Trump campaign, which is also important, but as I understand it, we're still in the fact finding stage of that. We may as well focus on the wiretapping story while its hot.

Also buried is the investigation into massive voter fraud, with millions and millions of illegal votes allegedly cast. It doesn't look like Pence has made any progress at all at even starting to organize an investigation.
WatchMeWin
WatchMeWin
  • Threads: 105
March 11th, 2017 at 5:46:01 PM permalink
So, how does Trump know that his building was wiretapped? Because it must have been! How the flip else would they have found out about the Russian meetings? Trump probably can't prove it, but he knows what was done. It takes a thief to catch the thief...so there is no pooling the wool over Trump's eyes.

And as far as the Dems constantly talking about the Russians interfering with our election... all they did was arm us with knowledge regarding the truth about Hillary and how corrupt she is. The American voters were just better informed to make their decision. They didn't tamper with the votes.

Both candidates sucked in my opinion.. but Trump was the only alternative to Hillary.
'Winners hit n run... Losers stick around'
Dalex64
Dalex64
  • Threads: 1
March 11th, 2017 at 7:23:00 PM permalink
Quote: WatchMeWin

So, how does Trump know that his building was wiretapped? Because it must have been! How the flip else would they have found out about the Russian meetings? Trump probably can't prove it, but he knows what was done. It takes a thief to catch the thief...so there is no pooling the wool over Trump's eyes.

Have you considered the possibility that someone, such as the CIA, had the Russians tapped, rather than Obama having Trump tapped, and that is how they found out about the meetings?
Tanko
Tanko
  • Threads: 0
Thanked by
Boz
March 12th, 2017 at 4:27:29 AM permalink

"We're gonna put a lot of lamplighters and candle makers out of business." - Thomas

"We're gonna put a lot of horses and buggy makers out of business." - Henry

Edison and Ford were business owners talking about putting their competitors out of business. They were not running for the presidency.

Quote:

It's been obvious for several decades that coal is declining as green technology develops, that it's dangerous for the workers, that it's bad for the environment from greenhouse gasses to tailings polluting waterways.

Market forces have been pushing that decline in an orderly way over the decades, giving local economies, workers, associated businesses and States, time to prepare and adjust to the changes.

Hastening that process as Hillary intended to do, eliminates the time advantage and creates problems where none would have existed.
rxwine
rxwine
  • Threads: 211
March 12th, 2017 at 12:05:04 PM permalink
They should have listened to Hillary.

Quote:

Bringing jobs back to levels anywhere near the sector’s heyday, however, may be a promise impossible to keep. Trump can free coal companies from the burden of environmental regulations. He can open federal lands for mining. But stoking fresh demand for the fossil fuel in an era of cheap, bountiful shale gas will be key, analysts at the CERAWeek by IHS Markit energy conference said in a Thursday panel. Even if that were to happen, the link between U.S. coal production and jobs started fraying decades ago when companies developed technologies to mine more tons with fewer workers.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2017-03-10/trump-may-help-revive-u-s-coal-output-jobs-are-another-story

Quote:

“The largest coal employment losses have been concentrated in the production areas of the U.S. that are the least efficient,” said Robert Godby, a professor of energy economics at the University of Wyoming. “We could see an increase of coal production and still see a decrease in coal jobs.”

There's no secret. Just know what you're talking about before you open your mouth.
  • Jump to: