terapined
terapined
  • Threads: 66
July 6th, 2017 at 4:22:23 PM permalink
Quote: SanchoPanza

The president is not responsible for the actions or lack thereof of the Chicago police force.

He accepted the responsibility in his acceptance speech at the convention.
"Everybody's bragging and drinking that wine, I can tell the Queen of Diamonds by the way she shines, Come to Daddy on an inside straight, I got no chance of losing this time" -Grateful Dead- "Loser"
billryan
billryan
  • Threads: 62
July 6th, 2017 at 4:52:34 PM permalink
C'mon.
You know he is only responsible for the stuff that goes right. Everything else is someone else's fault. Usually Obama's.
It's what you do and not what you say If you're not part of the future then get out of the way
Boz
Boz
  • Threads: 138
July 6th, 2017 at 5:06:32 PM permalink
Part of the problem is no matter who (Obama, Trump, anyone) tries to deal with the issue has to accept they are going to have to confront racial issues. Regardless of what side you are on, by doing that you risk being called a racist. Say the breakdown of the family in the AA community contributes to the problem and you may be called a racist.
boymimbo
boymimbo
  • Threads: 16
July 7th, 2017 at 12:14:01 AM permalink
Really, part of the reason that 2016 went to Trump was the disenfranchisement of black voters who didn't turn out in the urban centers in Cleveland, Detroit, Milwaukee, and Philadelphia. This disenfranchisement was partially caused by targeting of Hillary by the Russians but also due I believe to the racial discord that existed after 8 years of a black leader who really didn't do much to give them hope. Moreover, Obama was from Chicago and he (better than Trump) could have used is connections to do something appreciable for crime, not just in Chicago but throughout the nation.

This didn't happen because of the divisiveness between the various branches of federal government, caused mostly by stonewalling by the GOP congress and senate during his last term. Moreover, it became clear through all of the video shot that the police generally treat a black criminal different than a white criminal, and while there might be valid reasons why this is so (I am not saying it is), it is easy to pull out the race card and attribute all white police officers as being racist which of course creates friction in black communities.

Anyway, I think it's a very complex issue. Truly though money does talk. Growth in cities and gentrification and making housing more expensive changes communities.
I live in a community that's fairly well off and we have fairly bad crime 4 -5 miles north of us that sometimes creeps down here (rarely) and people say that the crime's a-comin. But housing prices are high here and for crime to set in, criminals have to live nearby.

Chicago has enclaves of very inexpensive housing which allows disenfranchised people to congregate, scheme, join gangs, and wield power. Do some heavy policing, convince people of wealth to move into these areas, the push them out.

The other method of course is to provide enough welfare to these people that they won't need to resort to criminal activities. And to remove the opportunities for quick crime (guns), stiff penalties and to provide educational opportunities (good schools, scholarships, etc) and job opportunities to the vulnerable population.
----- You want the truth! You can't handle the truth!
gamerfreak
gamerfreak
  • Threads: 30
July 7th, 2017 at 12:53:42 AM permalink
Quote: boymimbo

Really, part of the reason that 2016 went to Trump was the disenfranchisement of black voters who didn't turn out in the urban centers in Cleveland, Detroit, Milwaukee, and Philadelphia. This disenfranchisement was partially caused by targeting of Hillary by the Russians but also due I believe to the racial discord that existed after 8 years of a black leader who really didn't do much to give them hope. Moreover, Obama was from Chicago and he (better than Trump) could have used is connections to do something appreciable for crime, not just in Chicago but throughout the nation.

It's interesting because things like this happen in a variety of communities.

I live in an area with a large Amish population, and I was talking to an Amish guy who told me they all voted for Trump, because there was a robocall going around to all of the saying Hillary would take away their religious freedoms.

It's pretty sickening that someone would target a low-information community like that and exploit their religion for votes.
Boz
Boz
  • Threads: 138
July 7th, 2017 at 5:26:24 AM permalink
Quote: gamerfreak

It's interesting because things like this happen in a variety of communities.

I live in an area with a large Amish population, and I was talking to an Amish guy who told me they all voted for Trump, because there was a robocall going around to all of the saying Hillary would take away their religious freedoms.

It's pretty sickening that someone would target a low-information community like that and exploit their religion for votes.

And it isn't any different in the communities where Dems own the vote year after year, even as conditions get worse? Face it, they all do it and it isn't changing as long as we are willing to admit there is a segment of the population who is just stupid.....on both sides.
gamerfreak
gamerfreak
  • Threads: 30
July 7th, 2017 at 5:30:59 AM permalink
Quote: Boz

And it isn't any different in the communities where Dems own the vote year after year, even as conditions get worse? Face it, they all do it and it isn't changing as long as we are willing to admit there is a segment of the population who is just stupid.....on both sides.

I agree for the most part, not trying to make a dem -vs- republican argument. I hate both parties pretty much equally, which is why I am an independent.
TigerWu
TigerWu
  • Threads: 6
July 7th, 2017 at 7:54:14 AM permalink
Quote: gamerfreak

I don't understand how that is even remotely legal. First of all, it's literally slander, and second of all, it's slander to influence a political election. That should be punishable by prison and heavy fines.
MrV
MrV
  • Threads: 270
July 7th, 2017 at 8:00:55 AM permalink
Reality check:

The blacks left the south and headed north to find a better life, and found work in the factories.

Over time, the factories closed, and hope for a better life faded.

Families fractured, with many fathers being MIA and thus unable to provide guidance to their children.

The young sought and found a sense of family in gangs.

The politicians turned a blind eye to black on black crime.

And here we are.
"What, me worry?"
TigerWu
TigerWu
  • Threads: 6
July 7th, 2017 at 8:48:53 AM permalink
Quote: MrV

Reality check:

The blacks left the south and headed north to find a better life, and found work in the factories.

Over time, the factories closed, and hope for a better life faded.

Families fractured, with many fathers being MIA and thus unable to provide guidance to their children.

The young sought and found a sense of family in gangs.

The politicians turned a blind eye to black on black crime.

And here we are.

Wait a minute... what about all the non-black demographics that lost their factory jobs? Why didn't their subcultures go down the same road?

EDIT: And why are politicians turning a blind eye to black on black crime? Any politician who could solve that problem would be a shoe-in for two term president. You'd think they'd be scrambling over each other to do something about it.

• Jump to: