avargov
avargov
  • Threads: 16
September 2nd, 2010 at 1:47:27 PM permalink
Hey Mike...or anyone...have you checked out that crazy brain clinic building just east of the World Market Center. Look like Salvador Dali was.commissioned to design it. Very cool....
Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, first make sure that you are not, in fact, just surrounded by assholes." ~ William Gibson
rdw4potus
rdw4potus
  • Threads: 80
September 2nd, 2010 at 1:58:12 PM permalink
That is a Frank Gehry designed building. My dad has made me promise to go look at this building when I'm in Vegas next month, and he JUST gave me an unsolicited lecture about his other buildings. He also did the Disney Concert Hall in downtown LA, and the art museum in Toronto. The Dancing House in Prague is a Gehry building as well, and it also looks a lot like a Dali painting. It looks a lot like it's melting.
"So as the clock ticked and the day passed, opportunity met preparation, and luck happened." - Maurice Clarett
avargov
avargov
September 2nd, 2010 at 2:03:57 PM permalink
2 pieces of advice when you go see it. Don't go at night. I was quickly run off while trying to take a pic of the glass pyramid on the side. and I guess there is a tour in the morning hours.
Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, first make sure that you are not, in fact, just surrounded by assholes." ~ William Gibson
Ayecarumba
Ayecarumba
  • Threads: 236
September 2nd, 2010 at 2:04:42 PM permalink
Frank Gehry designed it. He also did the Disney Concert Hall in Los Angeles. Here's an article from the Sun

It reminds me of the recent movie "Inception"

(edit) sorry for the repeat. slow post. Here is a picture:

Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication - Leonardo da Vinci
pacomartin
pacomartin
  • Threads: 649
September 2nd, 2010 at 2:22:43 PM permalink
I am not deeply impressed. A lot of the building is sort of add-ons, and not intrinsic to the structure.

It is something different, however.
teddys
teddys
  • Threads: 150
September 2nd, 2010 at 6:08:55 PM permalink
I see they've moved the Luxor off the strip...
"Dice, verily, are armed with goads and driving-hooks, deceiving and tormenting, causing grievous woe." -Rig Veda 10.34.4
Ayecarumba
Ayecarumba
  • Threads: 236
September 3rd, 2010 at 12:11:51 PM permalink
Quote: teddys

I see they've moved the Luxor off the strip...

Hehe... The pyramid is actually the cafeteria for the Clark County Government complex across the street. See more about it here
Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication - Leonardo da Vinci
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
  • Threads: 1493
September 3rd, 2010 at 1:01:12 PM permalink
Quote: avargov

Hey Mike...or anyone...have you checked out that crazy brain clinic building just east of the World Market Center. Look like Salvador Dali was.commissioned to design it. Very cool....

I saw it when my wife dragged me to the Premium Outlets. If you're going to go to the Premium Outlets anyway, you may ask well snap a picture of the melting building, but it isn't worth going out of your way to see. Perhaps you could park there; the Premium Outlets parking garage is a nightmare.
"For with much wisdom comes much sorrow." -- Ecclesiastes 1:18 (NIV)
avargov
avargov
September 3rd, 2010 at 1:45:52 PM permalink
I saw that pyramid as well Mike, but the one I am talking about is small and made of melted glass and lighted blue from within. The guard who ran me off said the glass came from a building of note or some such. I didn't pay much attention as I had already worn out my welcome.
  • Jump to: