4 votes (26.66%)
No votes (0%)
6 votes (40%)

15 members have voted

Joeshlabotnik
Joeshlabotnik
  • Threads: 20
August 17th, 2016 at 9:21:34 AM permalink
Scenario: Because you're a history buff and will (apparently) write a book about American colonial times ten years in the future, a time traveler from that moment materializes in your living room and tells you that your book sucks/will suck and that because you're a good writer, you deserve the opportunity to do your research directly. He therefore offers to give you a ride to colonial Boston in 1750. You will have to stay there for five years, after which you will be returned to the present. You mull over whether living in that place and time would be fun, living hell, or anything in between. The question I'm asking is: what would be a deal-breaker? What modern convenience could you not live without for five years?

The above choices are only suggestions, of course--and if you think you could, in fact, live in flea-ridden 1750 Boston for that long (no lack of modern things would deter you), that's a possible answer.
Romes
Romes
  • Threads: 27
August 17th, 2016 at 9:48:13 AM permalink
In the context of your question, I think whomever traveled back would have their teeth fall out. The toohbrush wasn't wide spread in Europe until about 1780. Thus, your teeth would just slowly rot over 5 years I'd think.

Are we allowed to do some quick study before heading back, or is this a RIGHT NOW OR NEVER kind of offer? I'd look up some simple old remedies that would at least last enough to not have my teeth fall out as well as a few other necessities (not saying a tooth brush is a deal breaker, just tooth care would be a concern).

In the end, I would do it, no doubt. Just way too good of an opportunity to pass up to learn about our roots, culture, historical figures, etc. After all, this time travelers word that he'll bring me back is good, right? It might suck to not have any of those things from the list, but what I've found before when cutting some of them out (on trips, etc) is that you will always find something else to fill the time and before long not even notice those technologies/things you were once missing. On the plus side, I could prevent tragedies such as killing the kardashian blood line off early (if research is allowed to find out who lol).

...Guess my answer is NONE of them are a "complete" deal breaker in this scenario.
Playing it correctly means you've already won.
MrV
MrV
  • Threads: 310
August 17th, 2016 at 10:15:34 AM permalink
Toilet paper.
"What, me worry?"
Greasyjohn
Greasyjohn
  • Threads: 128
August 17th, 2016 at 11:21:03 AM permalink
Anesthesia.
odiousgambit
odiousgambit
  • Threads: 290
August 17th, 2016 at 12:52:30 PM permalink
readily available ice year-round
the next time Dame Fortune toys with your heart, your soul and your wallet, raise your glass and praise her thus: “Thanks for nothing, you cold-hearted, evil, damnable, nefarious, low-life, malicious monster from Hell!” She is, after all, stone deaf. ... Arnold Snyder
RogerKint
RogerKint
  • Threads: 15
August 17th, 2016 at 1:17:05 PM permalink
My jack lalanne power juicer. I needs my daily dose of veggie jizz.
100% risk of ruin
gamerfreak
gamerfreak 
  • Threads: 43
August 17th, 2016 at 2:18:00 PM permalink
#1 - GPS
#2 - Cell Phone/Internet
#3 - Air Conditioning
Face
Administrator
Face
  • Threads: 49
August 17th, 2016 at 2:39:01 PM permalink
Teeth won't fall out in 5 years, unless you went with them already compromised. A cavity or two, maybe, but there was none of the carbonated, hyper sugar drinks of today. You'll be fine =)

Water. Clean, running, preferably heated. Having to get your own water and make it usable is a huge time sink, and the only thing about having nothing that I can say was wholly unpleasant.

Well, living in Boston proper would be suicide inducing, but...
The opinions of this moderator are for entertainment purposes only.
GWAE
GWAE
  • Threads: 91
August 17th, 2016 at 2:43:30 PM permalink
Romes you are funny. You are worried about teeth. I would want to research to see what type of inventions I cold make that would be named after me. Hopefully figure out how to make a lifetime royalty that way when I get zapped back I will be rich.
Expect the worst and you will never be disappointed. I AM NOT PART OF GWAE RADIO SHOW
Face
Administrator
Face
  • Threads: 49
August 17th, 2016 at 3:09:30 PM permalink
Quote: GWAE

I would want to research to see what type of inventions I cold make that would be named after me. Hopefully figure out how to make a lifetime royalty that way when I get zapped back I will be rich.

Lol, I read that as "infections". Kind of a strange legacy, but whatever floats your boat XD

Sounds like too much work to me. I'd just buy up a thousand hectares of Virginia (now W. Virginia) for, like, a fiver. Just in time for the industrial revolution to make me a multi billionaire. Come back to now-time and barter it for PEI, start my own country, retire =p
The opinions of this moderator are for entertainment purposes only.

• Jump to: