Hunterhill
Hunterhill
  • Threads: 38
August 13th, 2016 at 3:02:23 PM permalink
Quote: Hunterhill

Manny Mota

Oops ya Minnie Minoso not Manny Mota
The mountain is tall but the grass grows on top of the mountain.
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
  • Threads: 210
August 13th, 2016 at 3:14:07 PM permalink
Quote: DRich

Minosa played for Cleveland in 1949 and the White Sox in 1980. He was the last player to play in five consecutive decades.

Guy I'm talking about was some old guy signed for one game, it was on news when I was in college in 1990s. But I remember nothing else. He may have been black I think, not even sure there.
Tolerance is the virtue of believing in nothing
DrawingDead
DrawingDead
  • Threads: 7
August 14th, 2016 at 1:28:29 AM permalink
The Danny Ainge example interested me since it was impossible not to hear a lot about him when he was a local/regional hero after spending his high school years in Eugene, Oregon in the 1970s, which was the part of the country where I lived then. I understand he was the only athlete ever to be named 'All-American' simultaneously in pretty much every sport anybody ever heard of, and probably in a bunch of others too. And it didn't hurt that he was also telegenic, well-spoken, and bright. He was pretty much Superman, and filled in when Batman needed a break. Then when he was playing everything that involves some kind of ball in college at BYU I think he was named God or something.

But I wasn't familiar with his time in professional baseball, so I checked his stats on Baseball-Reference.com. He was drafted and signed with the Blue Jays while still at BYU, and after college he was whisked through the minors pretty fast. While spending parts of three seasons playing big-league baseball in Toronto it seems he lost his cape and the batmobile got towed away, as he produced a less than mediocre slash line of 220/264/269 with a -2.0 WAR. I don't know how to speak Canadian so I don't know if "Ainge" would be the term that translates to "Mendoza" up there.

Then he switched to basketball, where he apparently discovered his soiled cape stuffed under the tire in the trunk of the batmobile, as he was a leader on teams that won multiple championships in Boston, and later also went to the finals and made deep playoff runs with multiple other basketball franchises in other cities. Or so I'm told by folks who know about such things. And he's now President and General Manager of the Celtics. It seems the switch from a little white ball to a big orange one was prolly a good move for him.
Nevermind.
onenickelmiracle
onenickelmiracle
  • Threads: 131
August 14th, 2016 at 3:25:39 AM permalink
If you google this subject, Tebow's people claim he doesn't want to be a gimmick and wants to be taken seriously, so very doubtful he will play this year. Secondly, Tebow is appearing on some sort of home building reality show coming out.
Looks like sh!t just got imaginary!
DrawingDead
DrawingDead
August 19th, 2016 at 4:15:45 AM permalink
I take it all back. As Chico Esquella would say: Beisboll iz EZ*
*If you are Adam Eaton

https://twitter.com/SportsCenter/status/766113533536927744

Nevermind.
billryan
billryan
  • Threads: 62
August 19th, 2016 at 10:05:02 AM permalink
Surprisingly, quite a few players have played in four decades. Some of whom were little more than journeyman.
It's what you do and not what you say If you're not part of the future then get out of the way
billryan
billryan
  • Threads: 62
August 19th, 2016 at 10:06:58 AM permalink
Surprisingly, quite a few players have played in four decades. Some of whom were little more than journeyman.
Former Yankee Mike Morgan being an example.
It's what you do and not what you say If you're not part of the future then get out of the way
DrawingDead
DrawingDead
August 19th, 2016 at 6:53:29 PM permalink
Quote: djatc

Can you bet on the minors?

I think I just got the answer to this: No.

Today I had a conversation with a supervisor at the Westgate book about some other things, and remembered this question. He said no, they don't take bets on them. As far as he knows they never have, and he volunteered that he hasn't heard of anyone else doing so.

The possibility never crossed my mind until you asked. I would've been a little surprised by a different answer, but it wouldn't be the first time. Because some low level minor league players aren't paid well,, someone might think some shady monkey business could happen more easily there, but I mostly put that thought aside. I imagine there would probably be problem with too little betting action spread across so many teams playing so many games.

I see about 200-ish minor league baseball games are scheduled this weekend. With probably close to about a hundred a day being played between almost 200 teams day after day, I think a bet on some of those games might not even have any action on the other side. And with all those events daily without a big liquid betting market) I believe someone willing to do the work could develop a huge information advantage over the line setters on a bunch of cherry-picked targets. In fact, if I got a different answer I'd have a high priority new project. I'd want to get on it like white on rice.

I don't know the fellow I got this answer from beyond his nametag, and of course wrong answers aren't exactly unheard of in that business, even from guys wearing suits. But I believe his answer, FWIW. So, sadly, I don't think either of us will be getting rich off the Savannah Bananas and the Wichita Wingnuts any time soon. And I'm not rushing to pack my bags for a trip to Kannapolis. Sniff.

EDIT: To assassinate a lot of extra words, for clarity. I get diarrhea of the keyboard when I'm tired.
Last edited by: DrawingDead on Aug 20, 2016
Nevermind.
Mosca
Mosca
  • Threads: 170
August 31st, 2016 at 8:51:14 AM permalink
Tebow got his tryout yesterday

Quote:

Tim Tebow threw and hit some baseballs in front of 40 MLB scouts yesterday, and didn’t seem to impress too many of them. One scout described him as an “actor trying to portray a baseball player”....

NO KILL I
Joeman
Joeman
  • Threads: 21
September 8th, 2016 at 11:45:38 AM permalink
The Mets just signed him.

Hey, if he does well enough in A/AA, he could end up right (t)here in Vegas with the 51's. Big 'if' though.
"Dealer has 'rock'... Pay 'paper!'"

• Jump to: