5 votes (45.45%)
3 votes (27.27%)

11 members have voted

HowMany
HowMany
  • Threads: 13
February 22nd, 2016 at 7:47:37 AM permalink
What's the best way to acquire a dog?

Please share your opinions and experiences. I will use the poll results and comments to make my choice. Thanks.

Some info. The dog will be family pet, companion, and protector in a suburban environment. I will allocate the necessary dollars and time for training. Indeed, a well-trained dog is very important to me. I have owned dogs in the past.
Gabes22
Gabes22
  • Threads: 15
February 22nd, 2016 at 7:53:47 AM permalink
It all depends on what you are trying to accomplish. If you rescue a dog, it might already be a couple years old and it might be difficult training it to do what you want to do. I don't know if you want it to be a companion or for a hunting dog. Also, some of those shelter dogs, may have been abused at some point and have some psychological issues if you want them to be around kids. If you get one that is fairly newly born, you will have to deal with the dog pissing and crapping in your house, but it is a dog you can train on your behalf for whatever you want to do with it. I know it's vague, but I think we need more information
A flute with no holes is not a flute, a donut with no holes is a danish
ukaserex
ukaserex
  • Threads: 21
February 22nd, 2016 at 8:12:21 AM permalink
The pound/animal shelter. Mutt's are best, taking dominant traits from different breeds.

Just my opinion.
"Those who have no idea what they are doing, genuinely have no idea that they don't know what they are doing." - John Cleese
Romes
Romes
  • Threads: 29
February 22nd, 2016 at 8:34:03 AM permalink
Quote: Gabes22

It all depends on what you are trying to accomplish. If you rescue a dog, it might already be a couple years old and it might be difficult training it to do what you want to do...

I've studied dog behavioral psychology for about 9 years now and this is 100% incorrect. The phrase "you can't teach an old dog new tricks" is all the same inaccurate. Dogs live in the present. While yes, they can be "conditioned" to response to stimuli in a certain way, their minds are able to be molded constantly.

Now, pending the emotional response (anger, etc) some dogs may need a bit more work than others for their emotional responses, but that has more to do with trust issues, etc. As far as "when I point my finger you play dead" that's just repetitive conditioning and not so much a behavioral response. Repetitive conditioning is easy and any dog of any age can learn it... (or unlearn something). You just need to find the right stimuli to capture their attention (usually with most dogs it's a food treat of some form).

Overall OP, it depends what you're looking for. If you're looking for a pure breed, then you'll need to go to a breeder more than likely. However, muts have the best genetics and the fewest longer term issues. I personal also am going to be getting a German Shepherd later this year (hopefully). I've rescued any dog I've ever had, but for this I'll more than likely have to go to a breeder and pay extra. With a dog like this some good questions are to ask about the parents and see how old they are and if they have any hip problems/etc to see if it will run in the next generations. If you're not set on a specific breed, then I would highly recommend going to a shelter and rescuing a dog. I've found so many AMAZING and SMART dogs at rescue shelters. These dogs are what most people would consider prize dogs and they're often just there because they're abandoned and you can get them quite easily instead of spending $1k at a breeder. I support rescue dogs, just sometimes if you want a specific breed you can't do that.

The only other myth I feel COMPELLED to dis-spell is that there are "aggressive" breeds. This is 110% inaccurate. Rotwilers, dobermans, german shepherds, pit bulls... The funny thing is these dogs are quite often the most gentle and loving dogs. They get a bad rap because they are strong dogs, and thus bad people have used repetitive training on them for bad things. Pit Bulls used to be kept in tribes with kids to guard the kids because they were (and still are) so good at playing with kids. It saddens me whenever an apartment complex or community says "You can have a dog, but it can't be one of these 'aggressive' breeds." because all I want to say is "There is no such thing as an aggressive breed you idiot. Show me a dog doing something you don't like and I'll show you a human who's responsible for it."
Playing it correctly means you've already won.
MathExtremist
MathExtremist
  • Threads: 88
February 22nd, 2016 at 10:09:10 AM permalink
Quote: HowMany

Some info. The dog will be family pet, companion, and protector in a suburban environment. I will allocate the necessary dollars and time for training. Indeed, a well-trained dog is very important to me. I have owned dogs in the past.

If you already know what you're getting into and you're willing to do the proper training, my vote would be to get a younger Shepherd (maybe even a puppy if you can find one) from a nearby rescue. That way the dog can grow up with your kids.

Edit: if you're not already set on a Shepherd, there are many breeds that are good for what you're looking for. I don't want to assume you're set on one breed.
"In my own case, when it seemed to me after a long illness that death was close at hand, I found no little solace in playing constantly at dice." -- Girolamo Cardano, 1563
ukaserex
ukaserex
  • Threads: 21
February 22nd, 2016 at 10:25:55 AM permalink
I knew I liked you for at least one reason. German Shepards are my favorite breed of dog. Never owned one, I just like the way they look. And of course, Run Joe Run was a childhood Saturday morning favorite.
"Those who have no idea what they are doing, genuinely have no idea that they don't know what they are doing." - John Cleese
GWAE
GWAE
  • Threads: 93
February 22nd, 2016 at 10:53:35 AM permalink
German Shepard scare the hell out of me. I would rather have a doberman chase me than a german.
Expect the worst and you will never be disappointed. I AM NOT PART OF GWAE RADIO SHOW
Ayecarumba
Ayecarumba
  • Threads: 236
February 22nd, 2016 at 11:34:53 AM permalink
I have a German Shepard. He's 7 years old now, and 115 lbs. I can't imagine him being in the house. He is shedding constantly.

They are great dogs, but do need space and regular exercise.

My wife acquired him from a friend at work who volunteers with an organization that uses social media to advertise dogs otherwise headed for the shelter. I am sure there is something similar near you. I would recommend shelter pets. The cost is reasonable, and they often have promotions that include free shots, chips and discounts on spaying and neutering.

Compare that to for-profit operations like pet stores or breeders. You could save hundreds on the same dog.
Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication - Leonardo da Vinci
rxwine
rxwine
  • Threads: 212
February 22nd, 2016 at 12:23:39 PM permalink
You can also adopt "military" dogs. The young ones are probably fine, just can't meet the training standards (but doesn't mean they aren't trainable). The old ones are trained but retired.

http://www.37trw.af.mil/shared/media/document/AFD-120611-035.pdf
There's no secret. Just know what you're talking about before you open your mouth.
Ayecarumba
Ayecarumba
  • Threads: 236
February 22nd, 2016 at 1:39:13 PM permalink
Quote: rxwine

You can also adopt "military" dogs. The young ones are probably fine, just can't meet the training standards (but doesn't mean they aren't trainable). The old ones are trained but retired.

http://www.37trw.af.mil/shared/media/document/AFD-120611-035.pdf

Every time I see a news story about these "retired" military service dogs, they are always living with their handlers and their families. The bond between the two is pretty strong, having worked together every day for years. I didn't know they were available to the general public.
Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication - Leonardo da Vinci
beachbumbabs
beachbumbabs
  • Threads: 100
February 28th, 2016 at 8:17:18 PM permalink
I have had dogs all my life. I like working dogs: golden retrievers, Labradors, border collies, german shepherds. 50+ pounds. Shelter dogs are great, agree with mutts being brighter and having less genetic issues. Romes is right about trust issues; once the dog (no matter where it comes from) believes you love it and you belong to it, you can teach it anything and gentle most any aggressive behavior (which is not inherent to any dog; it's taught by bad owners). I do specifically think Goldens are the best family pets for temperament, brains, beauty, loyalty. And I don't object to breeder dogs; the best Golden I ever had was a breeder error who came without papers (and cheaply) because they weren't sure which of their sires impregnated the dam. She passed in 2009, and is still a legend among many (hundreds) of people who met her, as well as inspiring 8 family and friends to get Goldens when they saw what one can be.

I think any dog can be a wonderful family member if they're raised right, so it's kind of up to you and your family what dog fits best for you. But again, I think little dogs are not the best family dogs because they tend to be not as bright and easier to irritate into nipping or barking (in my experience). Exception; Jack Russell terriers are very bright. However, very high-strung and need a lot of attention; not just happy to hang with you.

I also think purebred collies (like lassie), german shorthair pointers, and poodles are too inbred, leading to nervous behavior, of the middle-sized dogs. Really big dogs (like 100+ pounds) are wonderful if you can afford to feed them, and take the time to train them well.
If the House lost every hand, they wouldn't deal the game.
RS
RS
  • Threads: 62
February 28th, 2016 at 8:45:35 PM permalink
I used to know a beagle breeder out sorta near Big Bear (Southern California'ish). She's kinda like a crazy-cat-lady, except she has a multitude of beagles. My favorite pet was a beagle. She ate a large pizza, chocolate cake, and half the pizza box. No problems next day.
odiousgambit
odiousgambit
  • Threads: 326
February 29th, 2016 at 2:40:07 AM permalink
Quote: ukaserex

I knew I liked you for at least one reason. German Shepards are my favorite breed of dog. Never owned one, I just like the way they look. And of course, Run Joe Run was a childhood Saturday morning favorite.

Run Joe Run must have been a Rin Tin Tin Rip-off!

the next time Dame Fortune toys with your heart, your soul and your wallet, raise your glass and praise her thus: “Thanks for nothing, you cold-hearted, evil, damnable, nefarious, low-life, malicious monster from Hell!”   She is, after all, stone deaf. ... Arnold Snyder
Tanko
Tanko
  • Threads: 0
February 29th, 2016 at 4:17:41 AM permalink
Quote: Romes

I personal also am going to be getting a German Shepherd later this year (hopefully). I've rescued any dog I've ever had, but for this I'll more than likely have to go to a breeder and pay extra. With a dog like this some good questions are to ask about the parents and see how old they are and if they have any hip problems/etc to see if it will run in the next generations.

If you are willing to pay more, consider the Schutzhund.

These dogs are not like the American shepherds that have been over bred and have some health issues.

These are the dogs used by police departments for K-9.

Unusually intelligent and very calm dogs.

Schutzhund
Mosca
Mosca
  • Threads: 191
February 29th, 2016 at 10:09:37 AM permalink
My sister has a black shepherd, Cash, that is professionally trained, a beautiful animal and one of the smartest dogs I've ever met. She has videos of him training, and he is a real guard dog. They call him a Czechoslovakian Shepherd, I don't know if that is a real thing though. He is smaller, and his teeth are HUGE.

She also has a golden retriever who pushes Cash around like he was a little puppy; Angie takes his toys, pushes him out of his bed, eats his food if he turns away during feeding... It is just hilarious to watch them together. She is clearly the dominant one.

But Cash is the one who will go through the front door if you knock unannounced.

A falling knife has no handle.
  • Jump to: