Dieter
Administrator
Dieter
  • Threads: 16
June 21st, 2015 at 6:48:40 AM permalink
Quote: Gandler

So? We should be forced to pretend to respect a plethora of under-qualified and under-educated women in positions of power and management because of historical inequalities?

We pretend to respect underqualified and undereducated men in postions of power and management, too.
May the cards fall in your favor.
Gandler
Gandler
  • Threads: 35
June 21st, 2015 at 9:09:37 AM permalink
Quote: Dieter

We pretend to respect underqualified and undereducated men in postions of power and management, too.

We shouldn't. But the difference is nobody is every saying "we need more men in insert position here", people are so eager to increase the percentage of women in various fields, that they will push obviously unqualified women in fields simply because they are a woman, and they will get storms of applause.
Boz
Boz
  • Threads: 155
June 21st, 2015 at 9:25:03 AM permalink
So if a woman is on it, is it only worth $7.30?
ahiromu
ahiromu
  • Threads: 112
June 21st, 2015 at 10:14:56 AM permalink
Quote: Boz

So if a woman is on it, is it only worth $7.30?

If it's a black woman, $6.
Its - Possessive; It's - "It is" / "It has"; There - Location; Their - Possessive; They're - "They are"
GWAE
GWAE
  • Threads: 93
June 21st, 2015 at 10:49:27 AM permalink
I am annoyed that the government, which is in debt, thinks that they need to spend time and money on getting a new face on the bill. I can not imagine how much they are spending in order to make this change.
Expect the worst and you will never be disappointed. I AM NOT PART OF GWAE RADIO SHOW
zoobrew
zoobrew
  • Threads: 13
June 21st, 2015 at 12:22:48 PM permalink
Quote: GWAE

I am annoyed that the government, which is in debt, thinks that they need to spend time and money on getting a new face on the bill. I can not imagine how much they are spending in order to make this change.

The picture change will probably cost less than you salary. The real cost is all the anti-counterfeit measures that need to be placed in the new bills. The bill is scheduled to be redesigned/updated in 2020, no matter who is on the bill even if it stays Alexander Hamilton.
OooLaHNee
OooLaHNee
  • Threads: 2
September 23rd, 2015 at 4:29:48 PM permalink
Angelou died last year.

Coretta Scott King
Rosa Parks
Sacajewea
Inches Make Champions
beachbumbabs
beachbumbabs
  • Threads: 100
September 23rd, 2015 at 6:12:34 PM permalink
So, people are wondering why women didn't historically accomplish anything in this country, when we couldn't vote, hold office, have a bank account or mortgage until well into the 20th century. Do you know that, in the state of Florida in 1997, even though I was the only one paying the mortgage, making the down payment, or even employed at the time (my income and credit report was the only one considered for mortgage approval) , the State of Florida required that our house be shown as a joint asset with him on the deed, Had it been the other way around, I was not an automatic signatory. And that's still the law. How 'bout dem apples?

I, myself, think Jefferson should replace Hamilton, who can go to the 2 dollar bill. Jefferson was the finest mind of his time and the architect of our success. Jackson can be replaced by somebody. So far, Abigail Adams is the best suggestion IMO - have you read the correspondence between her and John? She was the inspired and resolute one; he was the mouthpiece. Eleanor Roosevelt is a good one; so is Edith Wilson, who WAS the President for many months in the 1910's. Harriet Tubman is another good choice.

Rosa Parks sat down because her feet hurt. I respect her resolve, but I don't revere her contribution except as a focal point for change.

I also would very much like a good etching of Lady Liberty (in close-up) as a non-partisan choice. I can't look at her without at least a little lift in spirit.

If the House lost every hand, they wouldn't deal the game.
teddys
teddys
  • Threads: 150
September 23rd, 2015 at 6:22:25 PM permalink
Quote: beachbumbabs

Rosa Parks sat down because her feet hurt.

That's a canard: "People always say that I didn't give up my seat because I was tired, but that isn't true. I was not tired physically, or no more tired than I usually was at the end of a working day. I was not old, although some people have an image of me as being old then. I was forty-two. No, the only tired I was, was tired of giving in." -Rosa Parks: My Story.

She was probably the number one woman in the civil rights movement. Either her or Coretta King.
"Dice, verily, are armed with goads and driving-hooks, deceiving and tormenting, causing grievous woe." -Rig Veda 10.34.4
beachbumbabs
beachbumbabs
September 23rd, 2015 at 6:28:48 PM permalink
Quote: teddys

That's a canard: "People always say that I didn't give up my seat because I was tired, but that isn't true. I was not tired physically, or no more tired than I usually was at the end of a working day. I was not old, although some people have an image of me as being old then. I was forty-two. No, the only tired I was, was tired of giving in." -Rosa Parks: My Story.

She was probably the number one woman in the civil rights movement. Either her or Coretta King.

Fair enough. Doesn't change my mind about her, but I appreciate the correct info from her first-person narrative.
Face
Administrator
Face
  • Threads: 49
September 23rd, 2015 at 6:36:22 PM permalink
Quote: beachbumbabs

I also would very much like a good etching of Lady Liberty (in close-up) as a non-partisan choice.

But she's French. Bleh.

;)
The opinions of this moderator are for entertainment purposes only.
beachbumbabs
beachbumbabs
September 23rd, 2015 at 8:33:28 PM permalink
Quote: Face

But she's French. Bleh.

;)

Point well taken. However, she was a gift (as are all females), so that rules. :)
  • Jump to: