ruascott
ruascott
  • Threads: 17
July 7th, 2010 at 4:54:42 PM permalink
I'm writing this blog from a computer that was built in 2002, running an AMD Athalon 1.2GHZ, and Windows XP. It is as slow as heck, BUT AT LEAST IT WORKS.

Though I am no tech expert by any means, I am convinced that Windows 7 SUCKS!. I had one Sony Vaio laptop completely crash within a few months of "upgrading" from Vista (BTW, we never had one problem with Vista). The Vaio was maybe 10 months old. While that one was in for repairs, last week I bought a new Toshiba laptop with the new Intel I3 chip. Its been less than a week and I have had nothing but headaches with this machine. Huge trouble setting up my wireless printer, computer freezes all the time, sleep mode puts the thing to sleep for good, etc...

I ran a Windows update last night and now the Toshiba will not even boot up. The computer is less than 7 days old.

Anyone else out there running W7? What are your feelings?
Nareed
Nareed
  • Threads: 373
July 7th, 2010 at 5:08:50 PM permalink
I haven't tried Win7 yet.

Some years ago I upgraded an old Compaq from Win95 to win98. It was disastrous. The machine slowed to a crawl until I added 32MB more RAM. And I had audio issues until I downgraded the audio driver to the older Win95 version. Perhaps your Vaio would improve with a hardware upgrade, but that's usually not worth it for a laptop.

As for the Toshiba, sometimes laptops go bad. about two years ago we bought two identical Vaios for the office. One ran perfectly, no problems at all, the other was a mess from the start. We fixed it by persuading the seller to exchange it.
Donald Trump is a fucking criminal
ruascott
ruascott
July 7th, 2010 at 5:34:27 PM permalink
But the Sony was not an old machine...less than 12 months and fortunately still under manf warranty. It runs an Intel Dual Core processor, so an hardware upgrade is not necessary. It came preloaded with Vista, but included a free upgrade to Win7.
ruascott
ruascott
July 7th, 2010 at 5:37:43 PM permalink
Sorry just really grumpy. I HATE when MS comes out with an "improvement", because the only improvement is typically to their bottom line. There is rarely improvement for the end user stuck in their monopolistic hell. Yeah, yeah, I could switch to a Mac and their new OS, but that doesn't work too well for those that need systems that do work enviorment + home.
ahiromu
ahiromu
  • Threads: 112
July 7th, 2010 at 5:43:42 PM permalink
I'm a 22 year old computer nerd. In my experience you should only upgrade to W7 if you plan on getting a next-gen computer. We're kind of in a weird situation right now... people want cheap computers but Vista/7 give you 64-bit capability... but also new computers aren't being released on XP anymore. The only significant, everyday, advantage of a 64-bit system is that you're able to use bigger memory (RAM) and other things. So, people are now using W7 with $500 systems that can't take full advantage of a 64-bit system. Sorry if that came out in a jumble, I'm not thinking too clearly right now. If you have an old system, upgrading to W7 or even Vista is a terrible idea.

It's also a personal opinion to now upgrade an OS until it's a year or two in the making. Way too much shit happens for early OS adapters. I'm still on XP though so take that with a grain of salt.

Lastly: Anyone remember SP2?
Its - Possessive; It's - "It is" / "It has"; There - Location; Their - Possessive; They're - "They are"
ruascott
ruascott
July 7th, 2010 at 7:38:09 PM permalink
Quote: ahiromu

I'm a 22 year old computer nerd. In my experience you should only upgrade to W7 if you plan on getting a next-gen computer. We're kind of in a weird situation right now... people want cheap computers but Vista/7 give you 64-bit capability... but also new computers aren't being released on XP anymore. The only significant, everyday, advantage of a 64-bit system is that you're able to use bigger memory (RAM) and other things. So, people are now using W7 with $500 systems that can't take full advantage of a 64-bit system. Sorry if that came out in a jumble, I'm not thinking too clearly right now. If you have an old system, upgrading to W7 or even Vista is a terrible idea.

It's also a personal opinion to now upgrade an OS until it's a year or two in the making. Way too much shit happens for early OS adapters. I'm still on XP though so take that with a grain of salt.

Lastly: Anyone remember SP2?

I totally agree...but EVERYTHING is now sold with Win7 64bit. I needed a new computer, as stated, my old one was completely inadequate for doing much of anything anymore. It ran XP and I never had issues.

After about 3 hours I was able to get the Toshiba to restore to its original factory settings, and it appears ok now. I'm still wondering if I should hold on to it or not....I have about 6 days to return it. Its really a nice laptop, great speakers, very nice screen, 4GB RAM and of course the new I3 chip from Intel. But after this blow, I'm not real confident in it.
Mosca
Mosca
  • Threads: 191
July 7th, 2010 at 7:53:16 PM permalink
I'm running W7 beautifully... in Parallels 5, on my MacBook Pro. I use it for things that don't have an application in Snow Leopard, like Rhapsody.

Before the argument starts... I love Windows. I even thought Vista was knockers up. The only Windows that I thought sucked was Millennium. Well, 95 was weak, but I learned a lot from it. The only reason I got a Mac was when I was in the market, it was cheaper than a similarly equipped Dell, Lenovo, or Sony. There are things the Mac does that Windows should envy... but there are things that Windows does that the Macs should envy, too.

I also have Ubuntu running in a 3rd partition. Every now and then I start it up and look at it, then I exit and do something useful with Windows 7 or OSX.
A falling knife has no handle.
bluefire
bluefire
  • Threads: 10
July 7th, 2010 at 8:54:41 PM permalink
I just today switched from a couple of Ubuntu machines to a MacBook Pro.

I love Ubuntu, but I needed Office - OpenOffice.org doesn't cut it. I didn't want to sacrifice everything I do with a Linux terminal, so Windows was out. I could have ran Ubuntu with a Windows VM like I had been doing, but I want to be portable and not sacrifice battery life. Hence, Apple it was.

So far, I'm loving the MacBook Pro!
iamthepush
iamthepush
  • Threads: 6
July 7th, 2010 at 8:58:21 PM permalink
I haven't had any problems with win 7 and really enjoy it.

You can get dells with xp, you just have to ask, bought my wife a laptop last year and requested it.
ahiromu
ahiromu
  • Threads: 112
July 7th, 2010 at 9:15:48 PM permalink
Quote: bluefire

So far, I'm loving the MacBook Pro!

I love macs too, especially the whole part about paying an extra few hundred dollars for something that looks neat.
Its - Possessive; It's - "It is" / "It has"; There - Location; Their - Possessive; They're - "They are"
bluefire
bluefire
July 7th, 2010 at 9:18:38 PM permalink
Quote: ahiromu

I love macs too, especially the whole part about paying an extra few hundred dollars for something that looks neat.

Not a problem when work pays for it. :P
bluefire
bluefire
July 7th, 2010 at 9:20:28 PM permalink
Quote: iamthepush

I haven't had any problems with win 7 and really enjoy it.

You can get dells with xp, you just have to ask, bought my wife a laptop last year and requested it.

Microsoft isn't allowing anymore to ship with XP. They stopped that earlier this year.
ruascott
ruascott
July 8th, 2010 at 6:01:32 AM permalink
Has anyone had issues with W7 power mgmt? On both laptops I encountered problems trying to wake the laptop from sleep mode. Sometimes the Sony would freeze forever, and even the brand new Toshiba would take a solid 5 minutes before it was operating without significant lag.

I did a little research online, and it seems to be a common problem. The "solution" is just to disable sleep mode altogether on your laptop. Appearantly W7 has issues with booting the all the drivers coming out of sleep in the right order. I'm anxiously awaiting SP1 for W7, hoping that some of these issues will be resolved.
Nareed
Nareed
  • Threads: 373
July 8th, 2010 at 6:34:39 AM permalink
Quote: ruascott

But the Sony was not an old machine...less than 12 months and fortunately still under manf warranty. It runs an Intel Dual Core processor, so an hardware upgrade is not necessary. It came preloaded with Vista, but included a free upgrade to Win7.

I can't say for sure, but it's possible it still wasn't Win7 ready, or perhaps not for the particular Win7 version you have. It would be odd, if the upgrade was included, but it's a possibility.
Donald Trump is a fucking criminal
iamthepush
iamthepush
July 8th, 2010 at 7:57:05 AM permalink
Quote: bluefire

Microsoft isn't allowing anymore to ship with XP. They stopped that earlier this year.

no, you can still down grade the OS to xp.

1-888-782-3355, dells number if you want to check for yourself
bluefire
bluefire
July 8th, 2010 at 8:02:25 AM permalink
Quote: iamthepush

no, you can still down grade the OS to xp.

1-888-782-3355, dells number if you want to check for yourself

Looks like it depends on which Windows 7 OEM version you get:

http://oem.microsoft.com/script/contentpage.aspx?pageid=552836#windows7

Also, the XP downgrade rights are temporary.
rxwine
rxwine
  • Threads: 212
July 8th, 2010 at 8:43:21 AM permalink
If we're talking about laptops, it could be Win 7 STARTER EDITION. I've heard that's a piece of garbage mostly.
There's no secret. Just know what you're talking about before you open your mouth.
iamthepush
iamthepush
July 8th, 2010 at 9:21:39 AM permalink
here is a link dated 4/12/07 saying xp will be phased out by years ('07) end.

http://apcmag.com/windows_xp_to_be_phased_out_by_years_end_despite_customer_demand.htm

all i know is that someone said you couldn't get xp anymore which is incorrect
  • Jump to: