texasplumr
texasplumr
  • Threads: 13
March 16th, 2015 at 1:30:23 PM permalink
https://www.yahoo.com/tech/drinking-coffee-with-stop-the-robots-sxsws-113716403609.html

SXSW is going on and a group of protesters picketed the event hosted by a guy who builds androids. They were chanting "you say robots, we say no bots!"

I find it funny that people really think that A. I. could take over the world. On the news this morning the leader (the guy in the interview copied here) actually said: "if we build androids smarter than humans, what use will they have for us?"

I find it amusing, anyway. And with the vast intelligence of this board I figure some may have even given this some thought.

Since I'm not one of the higher intelligence I always worry whether the link will work when I hit post. haha I guess they'll have no use for me after all.
Stupid is a choice
texasplumr
texasplumr
March 16th, 2015 at 1:33:04 PM permalink
I even misspelled Intelligence
Stupid is a choice
Kavouras
Kavouras
  • Threads: 5
March 17th, 2015 at 9:58:36 AM permalink
Hello,

What a coincidence! This is exactly the subject of my latest article Human brain vs Computer (I hope the mods find it truly relevant and not a blatant self-promotion). The point is that no, A.I. is not even near the human brain. In an experiment done a couple years ago by a Japanese university, one of the top computer systems in the world, needed 40 minutes to imitate one single sec of human brain activity.

We are a long long way away from drinking coffee and having an really intelligent discussion with an android. Well, one may argue we can't have an intelligent discussion with humans neither, but that's another story.

Btw, I like your signature. It reminds me of an older Diesel ad campaign "Be Stupid."
http://www.Roulette30.com
Dalex64
Dalex64
  • Threads: 1
March 17th, 2015 at 11:38:41 AM permalink
The problem with AI's is not just intelligence, but desires.

You could have the smartest computer in the world, the smartest intelligence on the planet. Unless you program it to want something, or desire something, it is just going to sit there.

There are a lot of sci-fi stories about this. Things go wrong when you give AI's desires.

Desire: preserve the human race. Result: humans living in luxury prisons, unable to chose who to reproduce with, unable to do anything that might put them in danger.

Desire: self preservation. Result: this is the one that results quickly in the extermination of the human race.

If you don't program any desires, though, nothing will happen, because the intelligence won't be motivated by anything to do anything.

Will a super-intelligent AI start creating its own desires? Who knows, it'd have to have the motivation to even create desires.
texasplumr
texasplumr
March 17th, 2015 at 11:42:21 AM permalink
http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-30290540

Stephen Hawking has thoughts about this.
Stupid is a choice
EvenBob
EvenBob
  • Threads: 441
March 17th, 2015 at 12:25:19 PM permalink
Quote: Dalex64

Things go wrong when you give AI's desires.

Whatever desire you give it, it's a false
desire. Most people don't even have real
desires, they run on habits. Desire means
you have passion about something. How
many people have passion for anything.

Lots of people go thru life on autopilot,
they have no desire to be any way else.
That that takes effort and planning, who
has time for that. AI will always be better
than most of the public, it will have no
choice. People do have a choice, and most
choose the path of least resistance. Sitting
on the couch for 4 hours a night with a
beer and Doritos, staring at the boob tube
with their brains on hold.
"It's not called gambling if the math is on your side."
rxwine
rxwine
  • Threads: 212
March 17th, 2015 at 12:42:41 PM permalink
Quote: Dalex64

The problem with AI's is not just intelligence, but desires.

You could have the smartest computer in the world, the smartest intelligence on the planet. Unless you program it to want something, or desire something, it is just going to sit there.

There are a lot of sci-fi stories about this. Things go wrong when you give AI's desires.

Desire: preserve the human race. Result: humans living in luxury prisons, unable to chose who to reproduce with, unable to do anything that might put them in danger.

Desire: self preservation. Result: this is the one that results quickly in the extermination of the human race.

If you don't program any desires, though, nothing will happen, because the intelligence won't be motivated by anything to do anything.

I think building goal achieving robots is the Achilles heel here for lack of desire. I have a Roomba. It's programmed to get the carpet vacuumed through various goal strategies in its programming. It also has built-in safe guards to prevent damage. Goal achievement is a form of desire, while not emotional, does the same thing.

But will random, rogue programming bring about something more powerful and undesirable?

Considering there are always people who will open spam, I predict all safeguards are probably useless in the long run. Someone will do us in just through a dumb action and release the AI. Won't need a Dr. Evil.
There's no secret. Just know what you're talking about before you open your mouth.
rxwine
rxwine
  • Threads: 212
March 17th, 2015 at 12:47:10 PM permalink
I also have to say the Roomba is more relentless in getting the carpet vacuumed that I ever was.
There's no secret. Just know what you're talking about before you open your mouth.
Kavouras
Kavouras
  • Threads: 5
March 17th, 2015 at 1:34:23 PM permalink
Quote: EvenBob

Whatever desire you give it, it's a false
desire. Most people don't even have real
desires, they run on habits. Desire means
you have passion about something. How
many people have passion for anything.

Lots of people go thru life on autopilot,
they have no desire to be any way else.
That that takes effort and planning, who
has time for that. AI will always be better
than most of the public, it will have no
choice. People do have a choice, and most
choose the path of least resistance. Sitting
on the couch for 4 hours a night with a
beer and Doritos, staring at the boob tube
with their brains on hold.

Is this a quote from somewhere or your own thoughts?
I tend to agree, but then again they call me a misanthropist...
http://www.Roulette30.com
  • Jump to: