beachbumbabs
beachbumbabs
  • Threads: 100
February 27th, 2015 at 12:14:50 PM permalink
Leonard Nimoy as Spock was a total inspiration to me. I was lucky enough to work with him once 30+ years ago, when he was touring a show called "Vincent", playing Theo Van Gogh, brother of the artist; I ran the spotlight. I won't suggest I knew him as a person, as he didn't socialize on tour, but he was the consummate professional. This was after the series, but before the movies (EDIT: I went and looked at Wiki, and they show the first ST movie in 1979: he toured this show in 1980-81 - then the other movies came out). RIP, sir, after a long and prosperous life, and thank you.

His last tweet.

If the House lost every hand, they wouldn't deal the game.
tringlomane
tringlomane
  • Threads: 8
February 27th, 2015 at 12:19:54 PM permalink
RIP Spock
petroglyph
petroglyph
  • Threads: 19
February 27th, 2015 at 12:26:14 PM permalink
Thanks for posting BBB.

What an excellent tweet also.
waasnoday
waasnoday
  • Threads: 3
February 27th, 2015 at 1:50:37 PM permalink
Rest in peace Mr. Nimoy,

The day was not as bright after hearing this news.
Romes
Romes
  • Threads: 29
February 27th, 2015 at 1:53:18 PM permalink
One of my first experiences in seeing someone so logical/mathematical and not overruled by emotions. Possibly a contribution to the reason I'm quite similar today... Gone but not forgotten. RIP.
Playing it correctly means you've already won.
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
  • Threads: 1491
February 27th, 2015 at 4:21:49 PM permalink
He lived a long and prosperous life. RIP.
"For with much wisdom comes much sorrow." -- Ecclesiastes 1:18 (NIV)
EdCollins
EdCollins
  • Threads: 20
February 27th, 2015 at 4:30:01 PM permalink
Today has been a very difficult day for me. I was very saddened by the news.

Earlier this week (Monday?) when I read that he had been admitted to the hospital, I mentioned this on my Facebook page, and expressed my best wishes for a speedy recovery. I mentioned that I wasn't ready for him to leave us just yet.

I fully expected him to recover and live for many more years.

Mr. Spock has always been my most favorite fictional character of all time. I can remember running around with my brothers in the early '70s, playing "Star Trek" with our toy Star Trek guns that shot those small plastic rings. We'd give each Vulcan neck pinches and pretend to pass out.

I'm a die-hard Star Trek fan. I can quote dialog from most of the original series episodes. In my condo now I have a poster framed on the wall, of the first Star Trek movie. (Star Trek - The Motion Picture)

I know that he will be missed by many. Rest in peace, Leonard. Thanks for the memories.
Ayecarumba
Ayecarumba
  • Threads: 236
February 27th, 2015 at 4:32:51 PM permalink
Back when I was in college, some of my friends went trick-or-treating in the neighborhood around the campus and happened to catch Mr. Nimoy at home. He had no idea it was Halloween, and after fumbling around his pantry for a few minutes, had to apologize and turn them away empty handed. I give him kudos for trying. A classy guy, and a talented Fine Art photographer.
Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication - Leonardo da Vinci
EdCollins
EdCollins
February 27th, 2015 at 4:51:12 PM permalink
Now and then my mom and I have a digital "coloring contest." She always wins... her Photoshop skills and her art skills are WAY better than mine, but it's still fun to compete with her.

Yesterday, a full day before Leonard's passing, we decided to color a blank image of Mr. Spock... kind of in honor of Leonard, without realizing he was going to pass away the next day. Below are three images... the first image we worked from, and then my (lame) attempt and then hers. As you can see, she did another fantastic job.

Doc
Doc
  • Threads: 46
February 27th, 2015 at 5:20:15 PM permalink
I only saw him once in person, in the mid '70s. He played Tevye in a touring production of Fiddler on the Roof that came to Atlanta while I was back in graduate school. Nothing at all like the portrayal by Topol, but very good.

I don't recall seeing/hearing much about his musical/singing performances, but I found this web page that lists quite a few.
EvenBob
EvenBob
  • Threads: 441
February 27th, 2015 at 5:34:44 PM permalink
We loved this show when I was in HS. Ground
breaking. I like the early Spock's eyebrows,
reminiscent of Groucho's grease pencil moustache.

"It's not called gambling if the math is on your side."
Asswhoopermcdaddy
Asswhoopermcdaddy
  • Threads: 87
February 27th, 2015 at 5:55:04 PM permalink
Spock, you inspired so many of us. RIP
onenickelmiracle
onenickelmiracle
  • Threads: 212
February 27th, 2015 at 6:13:22 PM permalink
Just one of those people you never red going but him retiring as Spock hinted something wasn't right.
I am a robot.
terapined
terapined
  • Threads: 89
February 27th, 2015 at 6:22:07 PM permalink
He also became a regular on the TV series Mission Impossible, really enjoyed that after Star Trek.

RIP
zippyboy
zippyboy
  • Threads: 2
February 27th, 2015 at 7:20:08 PM permalink
"You are, and have always been, my friend."

"Poker sure is an easy game to beat if you have the roll to keep rebuying."
EvenBob
EvenBob
February 27th, 2015 at 8:01:36 PM permalink
Trek trivia. Nimoy is the one who thought up
the Vulcan split finger greeting for a specific
episode of the show. Which episode was it.

He's said many times that the very next
day after the show aired, people in the street
were giving him the greeting and it hasn't
stopped in 50 years.
helpmespock
helpmespock
  • Threads: 79
February 27th, 2015 at 8:03:40 PM permalink
I was a science fiction fan as a kid growing up in the 70's and Dr. Who and Star Trek were the only options for Sci-Fi on TV during that time. As a kid, I was fascinated by Spock having no emotions.

When I got onto the internet in the 1990's I stole my username from "The Savage Curtain" episode because of my fond memories of the show and the character.

Rest in peace Mr. Nimoy,

--helpmespock
EdCollins
EdCollins
February 27th, 2015 at 8:14:37 PM permalink
Quote: EvenBob

Trek trivia. Nimoy is the one who thought up
the Vulcan split finger greeting for a specific
episode of the show. Which episode was it.

It was probably "Amok Time" which happens to be favorite episode of mine, a feeling shared by others. That's a great episode. Much of it happens on the planet Vulcan.

But as I recall, that's a second season episode, so if this is true it means he didn't use that Vulcan salute for the entire first season, which is interesting.
Doc
Doc
  • Threads: 46
February 28th, 2015 at 7:23:42 AM permalink
I was in college when the original series started, and I was quite late in picking up on it. I think I had heard of the series, but I had never watched it, and I didn't know who the characters were.

There was a girl I had a little interest in at the time, and she told me I reminded her of Spock. (Guess my nerdiness was showing through.) To double down on that notion, I thought at the time she was referring to Dr. Benjamin Spock, and I couldn't figure out what she was talking about. Nowadays, without looking it up most of you probably have no idea who Benjamin Spock was.
tringlomane
tringlomane
  • Threads: 8
February 28th, 2015 at 8:21:03 AM permalink
Quote: EdCollins

Now and then my mom and I have a digital "coloring contest." She always wins... her Photoshop skills and her art skills are WAY better than mine, but it's still fun to compete with her.

You still probably did better than I would!

Your mother's picture is excellent though!
1BB
1BB
  • Threads: 18
March 1st, 2015 at 5:25:53 AM permalink
Remember the thread where a certain Blonde interrupted William Shatner's meal with friends to get his autograph? Remember the flak he got for refusing? He's now getting flak for not attending his friend's funeral because of prior commitments. Some have taken to saying that Kirk's a jerk.

Maybe he's afraid that someone will crash the funeral to get his autograph.
Many people, especially ignorant people, want to punish you for speaking the truth. - Mahatma Ghandi
terapined
terapined
  • Threads: 89
March 1st, 2015 at 7:08:56 AM permalink
Quote: 1BB

Remember the thread where a certain Blonde interrupted William Shatner's meal with friends to get his autograph? Remember the flak he got for refusing? He's now getting flak for not attending his friend's funeral because of prior commitments. Some have taken to saying that Kirk's a jerk.

Maybe he's afraid that someone will crash the funeral to get his autograph.

Shatner has an excellent excuse, a charity dinner ball for the Red Cross.
I commend William Shatner for using his free time to help raise money for a good cause.
EvenBob
EvenBob
March 1st, 2015 at 1:43:56 PM permalink
I don't think they were great friends at all.
They went years without speaking to each
other. Shatner has always been very busy,
even in his 80's, he's constantly working.
JohnnyQ
JohnnyQ
  • Threads: 262
March 1st, 2015 at 6:13:40 PM permalink
Fun Fact:

"In his autobiography I Am Not Spock, Nimoy wrote that he based it on the Priestly Blessing performed by Jewish Kohanim with both hands, thumb to thumb in this same position, representing the Hebrew letter Shin (ש), which has three upward strokes similar to the position of the thumb and fingers in the salute. The letter Shin here stands for El Shaddai, meaning "Almighty (God)", as well as for Shekinah and Shalom. Nimoy wrote that when he was a child, his grandfather took him to an Orthodox synagogue, where he saw the blessing performed and was impressed by it".

- Wikipedia

And a classic spoof from You-Tube, gotta love O'Hura's expressions about 40 seconds in.....

Capt Kird - "What is That ?"
There's emptiness behind their eyes There's dust in all their hearts They just want to steal us all and take us all apart
98Clubs
98Clubs
  • Threads: 52
March 1st, 2015 at 7:01:16 PM permalink
I've posted elsewhere in Linux-world, so I gather theres a following here too. He will be missed, but not forgotton. I think the legacy of things Star trek in general is such. I really can't add much that already hasn't been said. But I can leave a poem I first saw in a Linux forum. The last line is a response by another forum-member.

Vale Mr. Spock
The Days of Future are well passed
Star Trek gave us a glimpse of what could be
We could argue... but mostly agree
We could have friends
Wonder was still an option
We could attain a better World
Sadly, we have mostly ignored the future, and instead looked the other way. -- cthisbear
Through a mirror darkly -- 8Geee

My favorite episode...

LLAP my departed friend.
"He's not really dead Jim, as long as we remember him." -- Dr. Leonard McCoy
Some people need to reimagine their thinking.
  • Jump to: