Uranium235
Uranium235
  • Threads: 6
January 29th, 2015 at 11:55:55 AM permalink
Morning all

I'm heading over to San Diego, Palm Springs and Vegas in March and would like to clarify a point about road rules.

When I was in CA back in May, I was pleased to note that you could turn right on a red light unless a sign specifically prohibited it (correct me if I'm wrong). I wish we had that in Australia (but left of course)!

Does this rule also apply in Nevada and Vegas in particular?

Thanks
ChesterDog
ChesterDog
  • Threads: 8
January 29th, 2015 at 12:08:54 PM permalink
Quote: Uranium235

Morning all

I'm heading over to San Diego, Palm Springs and Vegas in March and would like to clarify a point about road rules.

When I was in CA back in May, I was pleased to note that you could turn right on a red light unless a sign specifically prohibited it (correct me if I'm wrong). I wish we had that in Australia (but left of course)!

Thanks

Googling brings up this site. It says, "You are allowed to turn right on a red light after coming to a full stop, unless otherwise posted. You must be in the extreme right-hand lane and yield to pedestrians and all traffic moving through the intersection."
EvenBob
EvenBob
  • Threads: 441
January 29th, 2015 at 12:18:11 PM permalink
It's legal to turn right on red in all 50
states, unless a sign says you can't.
"It's not called gambling if the math is on your side."
DrawingDead
DrawingDead
  • Threads: 9
January 29th, 2015 at 1:02:44 PM permalink
I think the issue comes from the question of whether someone signals & comes to a complete stop and properly yields to any cross traffic before making their right turn, which is then not only permitted but eagerly expected by the guy leaning on his horn behind you trying to go somewhere. For many years there's been a common informal slang term in the US for not doing that in the right order (stop, look, then go) or for not paying attention and making a piss poor job of it, which happens to be named after a place:

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=california+stop

As far as I know the term comes mostly from what people in much of the rest of the country think of Californians and their habits, rather than a formal difference among the states in what you're actually supposed to do.

And yes, it applies in Nevada. Both parts, about legal and right to do and piss poor execution of it, especially when applied to psychotic Vegas taxi drivers who learned their driving in Mogadishu, so if you see a sign on a nearby vehicle that says "taxi" just assume that in a moment they are about to do the most insanely illegal thing in the worst way possible, and you'll be fine.
Suck dope, watch TV, make up stuff, be somebody on the internet.
ThatDonGuy
ThatDonGuy
  • Threads: 117
January 29th, 2015 at 1:14:55 PM permalink
Quote: EvenBob

It's legal to turn right on red in all 50 states, unless a sign says you can't.

The last time I looked, the only real exception to this rule was in New York City.

However, you must come to a stop first.
Also, you can only do it from the rightmost lane.

Also - and I don't know if they have these in Australia, but they do in the UK - there's no "red and yellow lights together" between a red light and a green light; it goes straight from red to green. This keeps people from "jumping the green light" (and ending up in in a collision with somebody who decided to accelerate in order to get into the intersection before the yellow light turned red).
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
  • Threads: 240
January 29th, 2015 at 1:18:48 PM permalink

To complicate it more, it is often legal to turn LEFT on red if you are going from one one-way street to another one-way street.
All animals are equal, but some are more equal than others
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
  • Threads: 1493
January 29th, 2015 at 1:39:13 PM permalink
Quote: Uranium235

Yes, you can do that in Nevada. I recall back in the 80s you couldn't in Nevada but they changed the law to allow it somewhere around 1990 I think.
"For with much wisdom comes much sorrow." -- Ecclesiastes 1:18 (NIV)
zoobrew
zoobrew
  • Threads: 13
January 29th, 2015 at 1:52:06 PM permalink
Quote: ThatDonGuy

The last time I looked, the only real exception to this rule was in New York City.

However, you must come to a stop first.
Also, you can only do it from the rightmost lane.

Is it only the rightmost lane? I thinking about off/on ramps and other major connectors that have multiple lanes that are turn right only, and I have seen all the different lanes turn right on red.
Ayecarumba
Ayecarumba
  • Threads: 236
January 29th, 2015 at 2:04:55 PM permalink
What if thre are two marked right turn lanes? Can the car in the lane that is not the furthest right, still make the turn when the light is red?

Edit: Most of the time these situations are marked, "No Turn on Red", but sometimes they are not.
Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication - Leonardo da Vinci
GWAE
GWAE
  • Threads: 93
January 29th, 2015 at 2:58:46 PM permalink
Quote: AZDuffman

To complicate it more, it is often legal to turn LEFT on red if you are going from one one-way street to another one-way street.

Many people don't know this. I never knew if this was true in all states either. In pittsburgh, there are many many one way into one way.
Expect the worst and you will never be disappointed. I AM NOT PART OF GWAE RADIO SHOW
RS
RS
  • Threads: 62
January 29th, 2015 at 3:03:27 PM permalink
Not only is it legal to turn right on red, but is expected.
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
January 29th, 2015 at 3:04:10 PM permalink
Quote: GWAE

Many people don't know this. I never knew if this was true in all states either. In pittsburgh, there are many many one way into one way.

It sounds harder to explain than it is when you are sitting there. Not sure on other states but I do know that in the 80s the Feds pushed states to legalize ROTR to save gas. Yes, lots of one-way streets here where you can do it. Probably more than most cities.
Dalex64
Dalex64
  • Threads: 1
January 29th, 2015 at 3:05:01 PM permalink
In Michigan, you can turn left from a one way or a two way street onto the left-most lane of a one way street from the left-most lane of the street that you are on.

It is also common practice to have multiple lanes turn right on red if it is legal to turn right from multiple lanes on green. I don't know if that is legal or not, but it sure looks like everybody does it.

There is occasional discussion about whether or not a highway on-ramp is a one way street for the purposes of determining a legal left on red.
ThatDonGuy
ThatDonGuy
  • Threads: 117
January 29th, 2015 at 3:13:39 PM permalink
Quote: Ayecarumba

What if thre are two marked right turn lanes? Can the car in the lane that is not the furthest right, still make the turn when the light is red?

Not in California.
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
January 29th, 2015 at 3:23:24 PM permalink

Not in California.

That is weird because supposedly RTOR started in CA and there is not the "California Stop" which means you just slow down. First time I saw a left turn lane turn right was in the 1990s and it did feel weird at first.
LoquaciousMoFW
LoquaciousMoFW
January 29th, 2015 at 3:27:37 PM permalink

Not in California.

If the lane is marked you can make a right turn from a lane other than the rightmost lane. See #6 here.
Ayecarumba
Ayecarumba
January 29th, 2015 at 5:53:08 PM permalink

Not in California.

Is there a reference to back this up? The handbook cited above doesn't cover it specifically.
Ayecarumba
Ayecarumba
January 29th, 2015 at 6:04:49 PM permalink
For the OP, here are some tips
LoquaciousMoFW
LoquaciousMoFW
January 29th, 2015 at 6:14:50 PM permalink

Is there a reference to back this up? The handbook cited above doesn't cover it specifically.

California vehicle code §21453 governs turns at red lights:
Quote:

(a) A driver facing a steady circular red signal alone shall stop at a marked limit line, but if none, before entering the crosswalk on the near side of the intersection or, if none, then before entering the intersection, and shall remain stopped until an indication to proceed is shown, except as provided in subdivision (b).
(b) Except when a sign is in place prohibiting a turn, a driver, after stopping as required by subdivision (a), facing a steady circular red signal, may turn right, or turn left from a one-way street onto a one-way street. A driver making that turn shall yield the right-of-way to pedestrians lawfully within an adjacent crosswalk and to any vehicle that has approached or is approaching so closely as to constitute an immediate hazard to the driver, and shall continue to yield the right-of-way to that vehicle until the driver can proceed with reasonable safety.
(c) A driver facing a steady red arrow signal shall not enter the intersection to make the movement indicated by the arrow and, unless entering the intersection to make a movement permitted by another signal, shall stop at a clearly marked limit line, but if none, before entering the crosswalk on the near side of the intersection, or if none, then before entering the intersection, and shall remain stopped until an indication permitting movement is shown.
(d) Unless otherwise directed by a pedestrian control signal as provided in Section 21456, a pedestrian facing a steady circular red or red arrow signal shall not enter the roadway.

So if you would be allowed to make a right turn on green, you can make one on red after stopping unless otherwise prohibited.
RS
RS
January 29th, 2015 at 6:21:51 PM permalink
I had no idea the lane you're in would matter if you could or couldn't turn on red.
LoquaciousMoFW
LoquaciousMoFW
January 29th, 2015 at 6:29:11 PM permalink
Quote: RS

I had no idea the lane you're in would matter if you could or couldn't turn on red.

In California it doesn't matter; if right turns from a lane are allowed, then right turns on red are allowed UNLESS prohibited by a sign or red arrow. Never observed an intersection where one right turn lane could turn on red, but an adjacent right turn lane could not, although it would be possible to set one up that way.
Ayecarumba
Ayecarumba
January 29th, 2015 at 6:48:35 PM permalink
Quote: LoquaciousMoFW

California vehicle code §21453 governs turns at red lights:

Quote:

(a) A driver facing a steady circular red signal alone shall stop at a marked limit line, but if none, before entering the crosswalk on the near side of the intersection or, if none, then before entering the intersection, and shall remain stopped until an indication to proceed is shown, except as provided in subdivision (b).
(b) Except when a sign is in place prohibiting a turn, a driver, after stopping as required by subdivision (a), facing a steady circular red signal, may turn right, or turn left from a one-way street onto a one-way street. A driver making that turn shall yield the right-of-way to pedestrians lawfully within an adjacent crosswalk and to any vehicle that has approached or is approaching so closely as to constitute an immediate hazard to the driver, and shall continue to yield the right-of-way to that vehicle until the driver can proceed with reasonable safety.
(c) A driver facing a steady red arrow signal shall not enter the intersection to make the movement indicated by the arrow and, unless entering the intersection to make a movement permitted by another signal, shall stop at a clearly marked limit line, but if none, before entering the crosswalk on the near side of the intersection, or if none, then before entering the intersection, and shall remain stopped until an indication permitting movement is shown.
(d) Unless otherwise directed by a pedestrian control signal as provided in Section 21456, a pedestrian facing a steady circular red or red arrow signal shall not enter the roadway.

So if you would be allowed to make a right turn on green, you can make one on red after stopping unless otherwise prohibited.

Thanks! That is good to know.
Doc
Doc
  • Threads: 46
January 29th, 2015 at 6:53:54 PM permalink
Quote: Dalex64

In Michigan, you can turn left from a one way or a two way street onto the left-most lane of a one way street from the left-most lane of the street that you are on.

I'm not specifically familiar with Michigan laws, but making this turn from a two-way street is not acceptable in places I have lived. That maneuver would have you crossing the path of vehicles turning left from the one-way street to the two-way street. That's the kind of situation likely to lead to collisions.

Maybe I'm not clear on what you mean -- how do you make your turn from the left-most lane of a two-way street in Michigan? Doesn't that mean you're driving on the wrong side of the street?
Uranium235
Uranium235
January 30th, 2015 at 12:45:36 AM permalink

That makes sense now. In fact, the trigger for asking the question is the line in Annie Hall where Woody Allen said that he '...didn't want to move to [California] where the only cultural advantage is being able to make a right turn on a red light'.

Thanks to all for their tips.
Dalex64
Dalex64
January 30th, 2015 at 5:03:39 AM permalink
Quote: Doc

I'm not specifically familiar with Michigan laws, but making this turn from a two-way street is not acceptable in places I have lived. That maneuver would have you crossing the path of vehicles turning left from the one-way street to the two-way street. That's the kind of situation likely to lead to collisions.

Maybe I'm not clear on what you mean -- how do you make your turn from the left-most lane of a two-way street in Michigan? Doesn't that mean you're driving on the wrong side of the street?

michigan.gov/msp/faq question 5

You can not turn left on red to a two way street, no matter if the street you are on is one way or two way.

By left-most lane, I mean the left-most lane in your direction of travel.

It would probably be easier to say you must be in a lane that can also legally turn in that direction on green.

As for a car turning left from a one way street to a two way street, there is a car coming in the lane you want to be in. You don't have the right of way. It doesn't matter if the car that is coming is turning left in front of you or going straight through.

The similarity betrwwn the right on red and the left on red is the person thatwants to do it only has to watch for traffic coming from one direction, and doesn't have to cross any traffic moving in another direction.

I think Michigan's left on red from a two way street to a one way street is probably unusual among the states. I saw from a link in an earlier post thar you can't do it in California.
wudged
wudged
  • Threads: 2
January 30th, 2015 at 5:22:18 AM permalink
Quote: LoquaciousMoFW

In California it doesn't matter; if right turns from a lane are allowed, then right turns on red are allowed UNLESS prohibited by a sign or red arrow. Never observed an intersection where one right turn lane could turn on red, but an adjacent right turn lane could not, although it would be possible to set one up that way.

I don't know about CA, but almost every intersection I've seen around VA/DC/MD with more than one right turn lane will have a sign saying right on red is permitted only from the right-most lane. The reasoning is that allowing cars from other lanes to turn will block the view of the right-most lane.
Baccaratfrom79
Baccaratfrom79
  • Threads: 58
January 30th, 2015 at 7:17:48 AM permalink

In NYC (Manhattan-Bronx-Queens-Brooklyn-Staten Island) right on red is illegal unless there is a specific sign stating you can.
Bac79=Hazardous Material and Chemical person correcting other's mistakes. Non AP'er, I can't count cards, low intelligence. Sprinkles magical dust on the cards. Has a lucky monkey. Baby also has a green one. Sum it up: "It's okay just blame me, it's all my fault"! ( No one believes me--so I chose to stop posting)
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
  • Threads: 1493
January 30th, 2015 at 7:34:51 AM permalink
Quote: zoobrew

Is it only the rightmost lane? I thinking about off/on ramps and other major connectors that have multiple lanes that are turn right only, and I have seen all the different lanes turn right on red.

Offhand, I can't think of an intersection with two right turn lanes in Nevada. Where major avenues go over the I-15 there will be multiple lanes leading to the off-ramp and those will specifically forbid any turns on a red.
"For with much wisdom comes much sorrow." -- Ecclesiastes 1:18 (NIV)
RS
RS
January 30th, 2015 at 7:51:25 AM permalink
Quote: Wizard

Offhand, I can't think of an intersection with two right turn lanes in Nevada. Where major avenues go over the I-15 there will be multiple lanes leading to the off-ramp and those will specifically forbid any turns on a red.

Indeed -- I can't think of any, either. Come to think of it, what do the signs say? Or are they just right-red-arrows?
tringlomane
tringlomane
January 30th, 2015 at 8:12:00 AM permalink

It shouldn't (unless one lane's vision is impaired), but CA also doesn't make it clear that you must remain in your own lane with other cars involved. It might be common sense to most, and is a generic law somewhere else probably, but I feel like they should have reiterated that.
charliepatrick
charliepatrick
  • Threads: 39
January 30th, 2015 at 8:14:07 AM permalink
Actually the most confusing thing, given as a foreigner one initially doesn't know what it is and can't really work it out logically when you first come across it, was the 4-way Stop. On traffic lights, several European countries don't go via Red-Amber and some, not the UK, use flashing Red [at night] for multi-way "Give Way". btw in the UK we sometimes use flashing Amber, between Red and Green, to indicate give way to pedestrians if any are still crossing. Also interesting is the relatively lack of roundabouts (aka "Circles") in the US.
thegov2k2
thegov2k2
  • Threads: 2
January 30th, 2015 at 8:24:20 AM permalink

Indeed -- I can't think of any, either. Come to think of it, what do the signs say? Or are they just right-red-arrows?

They would generally say "NO TURN ON RED".
tringlomane
tringlomane
January 30th, 2015 at 9:08:28 AM permalink
Quote: charliepatrick

Also interesting is the relatively lack of roundabouts (aka "Circles") in the US.

They are becoming more popular in recent years. Huge mistake, imo. But fortunately they aren't being used in heavily trafficked areas.
Uranium235
Uranium235
January 30th, 2015 at 12:19:59 PM permalink

For the OP, here are some tips

Great article; thanks a lot.

I had a chat with colleagues the other day about driving on the left vs right. There is an urban legend that Napoleon started people driving their horses on the right to avoid sword fights with oncoming traffic because your right hands (sword hands) are too far away. As an old friend of mine would say, it's a great story...and it may even be true! Makes you wonder why people broke into a sword fight at the drop of a hat though...

On another note, check out the article about Sweden changing their driving sides in 1967. Drastically reduced their accidents for that month and year but shot back up the year after.

Cheers
MrWarmth
MrWarmth
  • Threads: 15
January 30th, 2015 at 3:25:19 PM permalink
Quote: Wizard

I can think of two: the T-intersection at Mel Torme Way and S Industrial and the southbound IH-15 off-ramp to westbound Russell. Both intersections have "no turn on red" signs as you mention.
DRich
DRich
  • Threads: 86
January 30th, 2015 at 3:31:49 PM permalink
Quote: MrWarmth

I can think of two: the T-intersection at Mel Torme Way and S Industrial and the southbound IH-15 off-ramp to westbound Russell. Both intersections have "no turn on red" signs as you mention.

I drive two regularly. Russell Rd turning south on Las Vegas Blvd and US95 exit onto Tropicana.
At my age, a "Life In Prison" sentence is not much of a deterrent.
teddys
teddys
  • Threads: 150
January 31st, 2015 at 8:15:07 AM permalink
According the Reno Division of the Nevada Highway Patrol, turning right on red is illegal in Reno. And these guys know what's up! Their drug dogs are absolutely well-trained interdiction machines!
"Dice, verily, are armed with goads and driving-hooks, deceiving and tormenting, causing grievous woe." -Rig Veda 10.34.4
  • Jump to: