rxwine
rxwine
  • Threads: 209
October 30th, 2014 at 9:34:44 PM permalink
Quote: Keyser

You can see another reason why public officials are so worried about the flood of illegal immigrants.

Well, I'm not sure but I've heard people complain about TSA and airplane security. If people feel that's going overboard wait until they try to apply the same to 5,525 miles of border with Canada and 1,989 miles with Mexico and maritime border of 95,000 miles.
There's no secret. Just know what you're talking about before you open your mouth.
SanchoPanza
SanchoPanza
  • Threads: 34
October 30th, 2014 at 9:38:48 PM permalink
Quote: rxwine

You would need more than simple country bans to prevent people from entering to do such things. They discover tunnels from Mexico all the time, just for starters.

Everyone, including the entirety of Latin America, knows that the reality is that there is no such ban in effect against free entrance from Mexico. The 50,000 unaccompanied youths who flooded the border five months ago attest to that. Anyway, the ebola problem has been caused by irresponsible arriving directly from West Africa and lying and disobeying perfectly constitutional mandates.

Aside from the fact you could probably mail the disease in, and infect volunteer terrorists.

The CDC repeatedly notes on its Web site that the lifetime of the virus is limited by its need for liquid.
SanchoPanza
SanchoPanza
October 30th, 2014 at 9:39:58 PM permalink

Well, I'm not sure but I've heard people complain about TSA and airplane security. If people feel that's going overboard wait until they try to apply the same to 5,525 miles of border with Canada and 1,989 miles with Mexico and maritime border of 95,000 miles.

Following that reasoning, it stands that we should remove all border controls.
rxwine
rxwine
  • Threads: 209
October 30th, 2014 at 9:47:55 PM permalink
Quote: SanchoPanza

Following that reasoning, it stands that we should remove all border controls.

Well, are you making my case that any kind of intense border control in the US to control Ebola is a giant waste of money that might not even work?

Much easier try to bring it back under control in Africa and keep stamping out cases where it crops up here as fast as possible.
There's no secret. Just know what you're talking about before you open your mouth.
SanchoPanza
SanchoPanza
October 30th, 2014 at 9:53:31 PM permalink

Well, are you making my case that any kind of intense border control in the US to control Ebola is a giant waste of money that might not even work?

There is no such thing as "intense border control" anywhere in the world. Any country can be infiltrated. The question is what transpires after the incursion. The concern over costs inevitably leads to the conclusion that because no border protection can be perfect, none is needed. A small unintended consequence after that is the erosion of any semblance of sovereignty.
kenarman
kenarman
  • Threads: 28
October 30th, 2014 at 10:14:29 PM permalink
Quote: sc15

Except the flu kills the old and the weak for the most part. (The CDC page states that > 90% of flu deaths are of people 65+)

Ebola kills otherwise healthy people.

I assume you are not 65+ sc15 since the flu deaths are meaningless in your eyes. How do your parents/grandparents feel about that?
Be careful when you follow the masses, the M is sometimes silent.
DrawingDead
DrawingDead
  • Threads: 9
October 31st, 2014 at 1:11:41 AM permalink
Quote: Twirdman

Hardly Obama's fault that there is no attorney general he appointed a qualified person who senate republicans refused to confirm.

Ummm... no. Regardless of one's opinion on the merits of the matter of this nomination or alleged lack of same, that is complete nonsense, as a purely factual matter of basic civics, law, and current Senate rules, not subject to opinion, and Senate Republicans have absolutely nothing whatsoever to do with it. Nothing. Not one thing. At all. Because they can't.

The Senate is currently controlled by a party commonly referred to as Democrats. This particular nomination has not been brought to the floor by the individual who controls the action of putting confirmation floor votes on the Senate agenda. His title is Senate Majority Leader, and his name is Harry Reid. He hasn't brought it to a vote for the excellent reason that the members of his party caucus (which is called Democrat, not Republican) do not wish to support the nomination of that individual. A majority of members of that party's Senate caucus have said so publicly. In the event Senate Democrats ever decide they do wish this individual to be confirmed for the position, he will. There is no other intervening factor, since under Article II, Section 2 of the United States Constitution only the Senate (which in case you missed it is controlled by Democrats and has been for longer than the current President has been in office) has any say in confirming such appointments - the Senate which is currently presided over by the Hon. Harry Mason Reid, Democrat of Nevada. That is the party currently in sole control of that process. It does not require the approval of a single Republican. Not one. At all.

Is anyone hanging any odds lines on an Ebola zombie apocalypse yet? There was a British bookmaker that had one several years ago on the possibility of the end of the world due to a "black hole" which would perhaps (by some *ahem* unconventional theories) be created by firing up the CERN superconducting supercollider, which some proposed would then have the rather annoying effect of suddenly sucking up all matter in the solar system. Since I'm apparently still here in about the same shape I use to be, and perhaps y'all are too, it would appear that "no" was the better wager on that proposition.

EDIT: I now notice in proofreading my reply that the quoted post says "attorney general." In responding I was referring to the Surgeon General, which think I can safely assume from context (and the fact that there is no Attorney General nomination currently pending) is what was actually meant.
Suck dope, watch TV, make up stuff, be somebody on the internet.
Sonuvabish
Sonuvabish
  • Threads: 29
October 31st, 2014 at 1:30:02 AM permalink
This website has rules for everything. I think next on the agenda is that if it is suspected you didn't fold your hands when you last prayed, it's a 7 day suspension. So my question is...why isn't there a rule against Ebola threads?????????? Discussing it seriously is basically like allowing a conspiracy/apocalypse thread, which is why the ZenZone exists. How can the Wizard propose rules against discussing progressive betting schemes when we discuss ebola? Dumb and dumber. Meaning the former is not allowed, but the latter is.
MrV
MrV
  • Threads: 364
October 31st, 2014 at 3:58:59 PM permalink
A wag described the woman in Maine as "Me-bola."
"What, me worry?"
Face
Administrator
Face
  • Threads: 49
October 31st, 2014 at 4:45:10 PM permalink
Quote: MrV

A wag described the woman in Maine as "Me-bola."

A saw her as I passed a TV today. She was riding a bike down a country road. At a glance it looked like a "middle of nowhere" road. Every 15 yards, there was a reporter. As she approached they'd run to her, stick a mic in her face, then run along for 10 or so feet for a comment until she was gone. At least 10-15 reporters all lined up along the road, all of them doing the same thing.

Ever work in an office? A simple cold is treated as if it were consumption. Yet this doombringer has people running up to her.

Should she be charged with assault? Maybe have the reporters committed for observation after their attempted suicide?

You are orders of magnitude more likely to be overcome by hydrogen sulfide and asphyxiate in a manure pit than you are to die from ebola. Hell, I know two who died just that way. You are literally more likely to be killed by a beaver attack than die from ebola. Ebola can't even compare to the idiots of Rich Stadium when it comes to putting people into the ground.

O'er the land of the sheep and the home of the slave! (trademark pending, all rights reserved)
The opinions of this moderator are for entertainment purposes only.
boymimbo
boymimbo
  • Threads: 17
October 31st, 2014 at 4:57:17 PM permalink
As I open doors to strangers on all Hallow's eve, I am waiting for the brilliant kid to show up wearing a t-shirt with an Ebola virus on it and say, "I'm Ebola". It'd be pretty simple. Print the pattern onto an iron-on transfer, wear some bandages, a little ketchup on the shirt, and put the iron on to the transfer. Funny.

That child, if he/she shows up at the door, gets all my candy.

Speaking of that, no decrease in the number of kids showing up at the door, despite the showers and cool weather. Paranoia has not swept the streets of Niagara Falls, where common sense sometimes pervails. The odds of the kids and/or parents catching a fatal flu / pneumonia are astronmically higher than them dying of Ebola.

But please, continue to be fearful.
----- You want the truth! You can't handle the truth!
boymimbo
boymimbo
October 31st, 2014 at 4:59:55 PM permalink

There is no such thing as "intense border control" anywhere in the world. Any country can be infiltrated. The question is what transpires after the incursion. The concern over costs inevitably leads to the conclusion that because no border protection can be perfect, none is needed. A small unintended consequence after that is the erosion of any semblance of sovereignty.

Tell that to the North Koreans.
Face
Administrator
Face
  • Threads: 49
October 31st, 2014 at 5:19:37 PM permalink
Quote: boymimbo

As I open doors to strangers on all Hallow's eve, I am waiting for the brilliant kid to show up wearing a t-shirt with an Ebola virus on it and say, "I'm Ebola". It'd be pretty simple. Print the pattern onto an iron-on transfer, wear some bandages, a little ketchup on the shirt, and put the iron on to the transfer. Funny.

That child, if he/she shows up at the door, gets all my candy.

LOL, that's malarious ;)

A saw a group of three in HAZ-MAT suits. I didn't see if their companions were stricken or not. Tons of people out; I'd say I saw a third of the town tonight.
The opinions of this moderator are for entertainment purposes only.
EvenBob
EvenBob
  • Threads: 441
October 31st, 2014 at 6:19:29 PM permalink
Geraldo actually agrees with me that the
nurse is very selfish and has done more
harm than good by being on the news
every day. She wants her 15 min of fame.
"It's not called gambling if the math is on your side."
SanchoPanza
SanchoPanza
October 31st, 2014 at 6:46:45 PM permalink

Tell that to the North Koreans.

We don't have to look to Pyongyang to see ever widening and increasing abuse of ordinary Americans by other countries. North Korea's maltreatment of American journalists, octogenarians and clergy, among others, is equally matched by our good neighbor buddy Mexico and what it has done to Andrew Tahmooressi.
boymimbo
boymimbo
October 31st, 2014 at 6:51:19 PM permalink
My point is that the North Korean border is not exactly porous.
terapined
terapined
  • Threads: 89
October 31st, 2014 at 6:57:38 PM permalink
Quote: EvenBob

Geraldo actually agrees with me that the
nurse is very selfish and has done more
harm than good by being on the news
every day. She wants her 15 min of fame.

I think its absurd she is in the news.
She does not have ebola.
lets put some money on this. I'll bet that she never gets ebola.
Any takers?
Buzzard
Buzzard
  • Threads: 90
October 31st, 2014 at 7:46:56 PM permalink
I will take that bet only after you french kiss her !
Shed not for her the bitter tear Nor give the heart to vain regret Tis but the casket that lies here, The gem that filled it Sparkles yet
SanchoPanza
SanchoPanza
October 31st, 2014 at 8:22:20 PM permalink

My point is that the North Korean border is not exactly porous.

Nor has it proven entirely impermeable. The question, though, is the post-entry treatment of interlopers.
EvenBob
EvenBob
October 31st, 2014 at 8:31:30 PM permalink
Quote: terapined

I'll bet that she never gets ebola.
Any takers?

You really think that's the point of this?
Good grief. Yeah, never quarantine
anybody until they actually get sick.
That's how epidemics start.
boymimbo
boymimbo
October 31st, 2014 at 9:23:06 PM permalink
Epidemics need a contagious disease to start and complete ignorance of infectious controls. Plus it appears that the hospitals have an effective treatment plan in place: keep the patient hydrated.

When a whole house doesn't get sick; when other passengers on a plane don't get sick, the disease isn't particularly epidemic forming.
terapined
terapined
October 31st, 2014 at 11:17:35 PM permalink

epedemic?
Ebola is real hard to get.
How many people a day do you have contact with some strangers bodily fluids.
I dont know about you but for me its zero.
Therefore there is zero chance it will spread to me.
Any takers on the nurse getting ebola.My money says she never gets it.
Will consider odds. Cmon, make an offer.
terapined
terapined
June 10th, 2015 at 9:04:01 AM permalink

I see the global warming hoax thread revived.
I thought for giggles, revive the ebola epedimic that conservatives warned was on our doorstep.
How about that epidemic LOL
Ebola is hard to get.
SanchoPanza
SanchoPanza
June 10th, 2015 at 10:15:39 AM permalink

I see the global warming hoax thread revived.
I thought for giggles, revive the ebola epedimic that conservatives warned was on our doorstep.
How about that epidemic LOL Ebola is hard to get.

Not that hard. A closed Army fort in New Jersey is being used as a major quarantine center. So keep laughing. And keep an eye out for Lassa fever, which has also arrived in Jersey.
terapined
terapined
June 10th, 2015 at 10:23:42 AM permalink

Not that hard. A closed Army fort in New Jersey is being used as a major quarantine center. So keep laughing. And keep an eye out for Lassa fever, which has also arrived in Jersey.

Bottom line, conservatives were screaming epedimic.
Libs were screamimg hard to get.
Yup, all chuckles here.
Hard to get won :-)
SanchoPanza
SanchoPanza
June 10th, 2015 at 10:30:48 AM permalink

Yup, all chuckles here.

Instead of continuing to grind a political ax, the arrival of ebola posed a major challenge for the administration of public health in the U.S. The fumbling by the CDC and several well-known hospitals does not inspire much confidence. Much of the controls were not instituted for weeks on end, and if you know any health professionals, ask them about their training to deal with the disease. And then you can tell them how hard it is to catch. Meanwhile, pressure builds to close the quarantine center in Jersey. How about your backyard?
TwoFeathersATL
TwoFeathersATL
  • Threads: 37
June 10th, 2015 at 1:39:18 PM permalink

Yup, all chuckles here.

I'm a tree hugging Repulican, so I'm not sure where I fit on that lib vs conservative scale.
I think the bottom line is, for now, Ebola isn't standing outside your front door waiting for you to open it.
We learned a thing or two in the last months, maybe we are better prepared now.
But probably not much. 2F
Youuuuuu MIGHT be a 'rascal' if.......(nevermind ;-)...2F
RonC
RonC
  • Threads: 40
June 10th, 2015 at 2:48:07 PM permalink

Yup, all chuckles here.

"Evening Broadcast And Cable News Aired Nearly 1,000 Segments On Ebola In The Four Weeks Before Election Day. Between October 7 and November 3, the four weeks before the midterm elections, evening broadcast and cable news collectively aired 975 segments on the Ebola virus. CNN focused on Ebola-related coverage the most, with 335 total segments before the elections. Fox News followed with 281 segments, and MSNBC aired 222. CBS led the broadcast networks with 54 segments. NBC followed with 44, and ABC aired 39 segments."

http://mediamatters.org/research/2014/11/19/report-ebola-coverage-on-tv-news-plummeted-afte/201619

So...a little more than a quarter of the reports were on Fox...the rest of them were on outlets that lean liberal.

I think your narrative is off a bit. I seem to remember a whole lot of "the sky is falling" and then some "it is hard to get" mixed in, increasingly as it became obvious that it was hard to get...
SanchoPanza
SanchoPanza
June 15th, 2015 at 10:17:49 PM permalink

Bottom line, conservatives were screaming epedimic. Libs were screamimg hard to get.
Yup, all chuckles here. Hard to get won :-)

The "chuckles" keep coming:

LOS ANGELES (CBSLA.com) — Paramedics were responding Monday to an undetermined medical issue involving passengers on a Fiji Airways flight at Los Angeles International Airport. Fiji Airways flight 810 arrived from Nadi International Airport at the Tom Bradley International Terminal around 1:45 p.m, according to an LAX spokesperson.

A dozen passengers reported nausea, vomiting and diarrhea, officials said. One person was transported for further treatment, according to Los Angeles City Fire officials. The situation was resolved by 2:15 p.m. when the last of 272 people aboard the flight was cleared to leave the plane.
RS
RS
  • Threads: 62
June 16th, 2015 at 2:48:33 AM permalink
I don't remember any conservatives screaming about how ebola's gonna get you. Actually, I remember liberals were talking about how bad the Ebola thing was.
terapined
terapined
June 16th, 2015 at 4:25:36 AM permalink
Quote: RS

I don't remember any conservatives screaming about how ebola's gonna get you. Actually, I remember liberals were talking about how bad the Ebola thing was.

Evenbob
RonC
RonC
June 16th, 2015 at 5:47:44 AM permalink

Evenbob

That is kind of a lame response to your general accusation that conservatives were the ones hyping Ebola as a sure epidemic. EvenBob. That is your conservative that said it was going to be horrible...maybe he did, but I don't remember.

Please just admit it--there was panic on both sides and pleas for calmness on both sides.

Can you, as a liberal, admit that?
Twirdman
Twirdman
  • Threads: 0
June 16th, 2015 at 5:54:31 AM permalink

LOS ANGELES (CBSLA.com) — Paramedics were responding Monday to an undetermined medical issue involving passengers on a Fiji Airways flight at Los Angeles International Airport. Fiji Airways flight 810 arrived from Nadi International Airport at the Tom Bradley International Terminal around 1:45 p.m, according to an LAX spokesperson.

A dozen passengers reported nausea, vomiting and diarrhea, officials said. One person was transported for further treatment, according to Los Angeles City Fire officials. The situation was resolved by 2:15 p.m. when the last of 272 people aboard the flight was cleared to leave the plane.

What are you trying to prove with this that Fiji Airways has bad food. They were cleared as having nothing contagious. How does this at all related to ebola? I mean you cannot be seriously suggesting they all have ebola.
Gabes22
Gabes22
  • Threads: 15
June 16th, 2015 at 6:58:23 AM permalink

Should have ordered the chicken instead of the fish, or was it the other way around. I haven't seen Airplane in ages
A flute with no holes is not a flute, a donut with no holes is a danish
beachbumbabs
beachbumbabs
  • Threads: 100
June 16th, 2015 at 7:58:21 AM permalink
Pretty sure it was the fish. :0
If the House lost every hand, they wouldn't deal the game.
EvenBob
EvenBob
June 17th, 2015 at 2:21:14 PM permalink
Quote: RonC

He's too busy with his tinfoil hat on,
camped across the street from the
Scientology building in FL.

RonC
RonC
June 17th, 2015 at 2:28:30 PM permalink

Evenbob

Quote: RonC

That is kind of a lame response to your general accusation that conservatives were the ones hyping Ebola as a sure epidemic. EvenBob. That is your conservative that said it was going to be horrible...maybe he did, but I don't remember.

Please just admit it--there was panic on both sides and pleas for calmness on both sides.

...crickets....
terapined
terapined
June 17th, 2015 at 3:43:49 PM permalink

I don't wear a tin foil hat.
I find that pretty insulting.
beachbumbabs
beachbumbabs
June 17th, 2015 at 5:14:11 PM permalink

Personal insult. 3 days.
AxelWolf
AxelWolf
  • Threads: 164
June 17th, 2015 at 5:19:02 PM permalink
Quote: beachbumbabs

Personal insult. 3 days.

Quote: beachbumbabs

Personal insult. 3 days.

is that x 2?
♪♪Now you swear and kick and beg us That you're not a gamblin' man Then you find you're back in Vegas With a handle in your hand♪♪ Your black cards can make you money So you hide them when you're able In the land of casinos and money You must put them on the table♪♪ You go back Jack do it again roulette wheels turinin' 'round and 'round♪♪ You go back Jack do it again♪♪
beachbumbabs
beachbumbabs
June 17th, 2015 at 5:28:41 PM permalink
Quote: AxelWolf

is that x 2?

No. It double posted for some reason. I killed one of them already. Sorry 'bout that.
terapined
terapined
June 17th, 2015 at 7:04:59 PM permalink

A little background and context to this comment.
We had a discussion over at DT regarding scientology.

There was an anti-scientology conference in Tampa that I attended.
Last day of the conference, we protested scientology in nearby Clearwater at there new Super Powers building.
After the protest, I posted a protest report over at the "Why we protest" anti-scientology board.
I noticed the super powers building, also known as Flag, was very vey busy with bus load after bus load of sea org members (scientology slaves)
Now many scientology critics are under the impression scientology is crumbling and on its last legs.
Many critics over at the Why we protest board accused me of lying about how busy the super powers building is.
I was not paying attention but I estimated seeing over 1k sea org members.
Critics still insisted I was lying.
So the next weekend I sat outside the Super powers building in my car on a downtown public street counting sea org members.
It was an interesting experience. Even though this building is in the middle of a major downtown city, scientology does not want people watching their building.
They called the police on me. The police grilled me, scientology has the Clearwater police dept in their back pocket.
I was just sitting in my car. The police were furious I was watching the super powers building. They sat right behind my car for 4 hours and kept asking when I was leaving, while I simply counted sea org members. I eventually left and updated my report and now my numbers were believed.
That's all.
ams288
ams288
  • Threads: 22
June 19th, 2015 at 9:17:08 PM permalink

A little background and context to this comment.
We had a discussion over at DT regarding scientology.

There was an anti-scientology conference in Tampa that I attended.
Last day of the conference, we protested scientology in nearby Clearwater at there new Super Powers building.
After the protest, I posted a protest report over at the "Why we protest" anti-scientology board.
I noticed the super powers building, also known as Flag, was very vey busy with bus load after bus load of sea org members (scientology slaves)
Now many scientology critics are under the impression scientology is crumbling and on its last legs.
Many critics over at the Why we protest board accused me of lying about how busy the super powers building is.
I was not paying attention but I estimated seeing over 1k sea org members.
Critics still insisted I was lying.
So the next weekend I sat outside the Super powers building in my car on a downtown public street counting sea org members.
It was an interesting experience. Even though this building is in the middle of a major downtown city, scientology does not want people watching their building.
They called the police on me. The police grilled me, scientology has the Clearwater police dept in their back pocket.
I was just sitting in my car. The police were furious I was watching the super powers building. They sat right behind my car for 4 hours and kept asking when I was leaving, while I simply counted sea org members. I eventually left and updated my report and now my numbers were believed.
That's all.

Fascinating. And scary about the police. I'm not sure I would have had the guts to sit there for 4 hours. Scientoligists scare me.
Ding Dong the Witch is Dead
MrV
MrV
  • Threads: 364
June 19th, 2015 at 11:58:52 PM permalink
Quote:

I'm not sure I would have had the guts to sit there for 4 hours. Scientoligists scare me.

I spent some time with the Moonies.

Those mind-f*^%ers make the scientologists look like school girls in comparison.

"What, me worry?"
Maverick17
Maverick17
June 23rd, 2015 at 2:16:49 PM permalink
Is calling someone a Scientoligist an insult?

Or is asking if someone wears a Tin Foil Hat an insult?
Statistics don't lie, they deceive.
terapined
terapined
June 23rd, 2015 at 5:28:36 PM permalink
Quote: Maverick17

Is calling someone a Scientoligist an insult?

No, these poor people are deluded into thinking they are spending all their money saving the planet.
Offer your condolences if you meet a scientologist. These poor people are so used and brainwashed, they have no grip or reality.
Just so sad. They need help and they don't even know it.
  • Jump to: