SOOPOO
SOOPOO
  • Threads: 122
December 11th, 2020 at 7:37:35 AM permalink
Quote: terapined

They tried to be really safe. They had a chase car protecting them. Unfortunately the winds were high so they got behind the chase car to cut down on wind

I feel bad for all of them. But the chase car is there for a reason. It is NOT there to cut the wind. It is there to protect them from EXACTLY WHAT HAPPENED! They all made a choice.... save on wind and be unsafe, or fight the wind safely. They are going around 60mph slower than prevailing traffic. Inherently so unsafe...
terapined
terapined
  • Threads: 89
December 11th, 2020 at 7:44:52 AM permalink
Quote: SOOPOO

I feel bad for all of them. But the chase car is there for a reason. It is NOT there to cut the wind. It is there to protect them from EXACTLY WHAT HAPPENED! They all made a choice.... save on wind and be unsafe, or fight the wind safely. They are going around 60mph slower than prevailing traffic. Inherently so unsafe...

They are still trying to figure it out
But
Even the riders in front of the car were also injured as the car being hit from behind smashed into riders in the front
Its just a forum. Nothing here to get obsessed about.
TDVegas
TDVegas
  • Threads: 3
December 11th, 2020 at 7:46:00 AM permalink
Quote: SOOPOO

Yep. I find it difficult to believe that being behind the chase car was anything but a reckless decision. That highway is 75mph and majority go faster. Any vehicle will come up on that group of bicycles like lightning. Even making that left turn in a car from the southbound side towards Nelson’s Landing and the Ghost town....you better keep your eye on how fast the northbound traffic is coming before deciding to cross.
TDVegas
TDVegas
December 11th, 2020 at 7:49:09 AM permalink

They are still trying to figure it out
But
Even the riders in front of the car were also injured as the car being hit from behind smashed into riders in the front

Wondering if it’s possible that the riders behind the chase vehicle obscured the flasher signals on the car? A few seconds of inattentive driving will cause you to come up quick on those riders.
SOOPOO
SOOPOO
December 11th, 2020 at 7:50:51 AM permalink
I have a lot of friends who do these 100 mile bike rides around here. I have no idea if they have any real safety precautions.

In my career there really were very few bicycle accidents requiring surgery compared to motorcycle accidents. There are miles and miles of paved bike trails around here, with a stop sign every couple of miles where a road intersects. I have often thought if a biker ignores the stop sign they would be at high risk.
terapined
terapined
December 11th, 2020 at 7:56:05 AM permalink
When I did the nearby Red Rock Canyon scenic drive. Noticed a ton of bike riders. I was very concious of bike riders as I did my drive
At one stop I noticed a free public bike repair station with a pump
I thought that was so neat
1st one I ever saw
Hope to see more
terapined
terapined
December 12th, 2020 at 8:39:06 AM permalink
Vigil for 5 cyclists killed in crash south of Las Vegas
Vegas Cyclery at 10575 Discovery Drive
today
I'll probably drive over
terapined
terapined
December 12th, 2020 at 12:32:00 PM permalink
I checked out the Vigil at Vegas Cyclery
Was hoping to see the Wizard there
It was very moving
Huge display in big letters GHOST BIKES
There was a display of 5 ghost bikes entwined as a memorial with pics of the victims
It was very moving and sad
Many on bicycles there
DRich
DRich
  • Threads: 86
December 12th, 2020 at 12:50:23 PM permalink

I checked out the Vigil at Vegas Cyclery
Was hoping to see the Wizard there
It was very moving
Huge display in big letters GHOST BIKES
There was a display of 5 ghost bikes entwined as a memorial with pics of the victims
It was very moving and sad
Many on bicycles there

That sounds nice. Did you ride your bike to it? I assume that would be a good ride from the RV park.
At my age, a "Life In Prison" sentence is not much of a deterrent.
mcallister3200
mcallister3200
  • Threads: 17
December 12th, 2020 at 1:35:28 PM permalink
Does anyone have any experience with folding bikes and electric bikes? I do more hiking don’t really bike currently but am interested in the idea of folding bikes, something that I can travel with without putting a bike rack on my car. Electric bikes would have appeal for some uphill terrain I’d otherwise be unwilling to tackle and they don’t require a license plate like other small motorized/electric vehicle alternatives. Looks like you can get folding electric bikes starting in the 600-800 range and up from there.
billryan
billryan
  • Threads: 240
December 12th, 2020 at 1:57:25 PM permalink
I've got a young guy camping out near me. The owner is letting him camp out for three weeks in return for some painting. He is from Austin Texas and is working his way to Oregon on his electric bike. He says he paid $950 for it and it resembles a 1960s three speed bike. When he is on the road, he says he does 150 miles a day but can do more. He let a few people try it, but it looks too delicate for me. He is a small guy has has an XS frame. We are about 12 miles from Old Bisbee, and it is almost all uphill. You gain 1200 feet on the three mile trek to the main road, another 1,000 on the first few miles, go downhill a bit and end up gaining 1,000 feet in the last two miles. He's been doing it daily but says the uphill ride cuts down on his range big time.
The difference between fiction and reality is that fiction is supposed to make sense.
billryan
billryan
December 12th, 2020 at 1:58:00 PM permalink
deleted double post
The difference between fiction and reality is that fiction is supposed to make sense.
mcallister3200
mcallister3200
December 12th, 2020 at 2:10:29 PM permalink
Hmmm the way I understood the electric bikes, didn’t look too much into them, was you can have the electric assist part turned on or off. My hope was to mostly only use it on the uphill parts, would probably just prefer a regular folding bike if electric always on unless it’s dead or detached.
StevieRayShine
StevieRayShine
  • Threads: 0
December 12th, 2020 at 2:12:34 PM permalink
I went for a bike ride today in Saigon. Now THAT was an experience I'll never forget. From block to block, building to building, you feel like you're in two different worlds: the old and the new.
billryan
billryan
December 12th, 2020 at 2:23:46 PM permalink
He says on flat ground, the bike will go 10MPH on its own or about 16 if you pedal along with it. It looks like it goes faster.
terapined
terapined
Thanked by
odiousgambit
December 12th, 2020 at 2:39:17 PM permalink
Quote: StevieRayShine

I went for a bike ride today in Saigon. Now THAT was an experience I'll never forget. From block to block, building to building, you feel like you're in two different worlds: the old and the new.

Ho Chi Minh City?
terapined
terapined
December 12th, 2020 at 2:42:58 PM permalink
Quote: DRich

That sounds nice. Did you ride your bike to it? I assume that would be a good ride from the RV park.

I drove over after checking out the Bellagio Christmas display this morning. I'm sure its packed right now with a long line to get in.
One of the shortest Vegas walks I have ever taken. The display is right by the garage elevators. Barely a line to get in this morning
rxwine
rxwine
  • Threads: 212
December 13th, 2020 at 11:10:31 AM permalink
Quote: mcallister3200

Hmmm the way I understood the electric bikes, didn’t look too much into them, was you can have the electric assist part turned on or off. My hope was to mostly only use it on the uphill parts, would probably just prefer a regular folding bike if electric always on unless it’s dead or detached.

If you’re climbing paved roads a foldable will work. If you’re climbing unpaved trails I’m not so sure of the sturdiness of suitable folder. I’ve had 3 electric bicycle. The first was pedal assist only. The last two have both options for just power cruising and pedal assist. This last one is my only foldable. But I bought It more as a bargain than for that reason.. in fact, I’ve never folded it since I unfolded it. I’ve ridden on trails with all three bikes. But none of them were ideal. Even the weakest (250 watt) was capable of making the most difficult climb in the Tour de France on a single charge. So, for climbing purposes, they are all good.
There's no secret. Just know what you're talking about before you open your mouth.
jjjoooggg
jjjoooggg
  • Threads: 34
December 13th, 2020 at 9:15:37 PM permalink
One is the Brompton. Smaller wheels of course.

https://us.brompton.com
Born in Texas and lived in Texas my whole life.
TDVegas
TDVegas
December 14th, 2020 at 8:45:46 AM permalink
I drove by. It was packed on Saturday morning. Tragic.
jjjoooggg
jjjoooggg
December 15th, 2020 at 12:14:34 PM permalink
Also bikefriday.

https://www.bikefriday.com/folding-bikes/
jjjoooggg
jjjoooggg
December 15th, 2020 at 2:59:48 PM permalink
Dahon is lower price but not as versatile

https://usa.dahon.com/
jjjoooggg
jjjoooggg
December 15th, 2020 at 3:04:34 PM permalink
Quote: jjjoooggg

One is the Brompton. Smaller wheels of course.

https://us.brompton.com

Brompton has the most compact design.

Bike friday is best for gear options To climb hills with optional motor.

Dahon is lower price
jjjoooggg
jjjoooggg
December 16th, 2020 at 9:39:10 AM permalink
All the lower priced folding bikes wont fold as small as a brompton. It folds in 3 places. And has a suitcase to fit.
StevieRayShine
StevieRayShine
  • Threads: 0
December 16th, 2020 at 10:18:02 AM permalink
Yep! Ho Chi Minh/Saigon :) I've been living in VN for about a year and a half now and usually take my motorbike everywhere but definitely enjoyed the feeling of being on a bike in the crazy city. I've noticed people from the south generally call it Saigon still and then you get mixed references as you go north. The entire country though is so gorgeous and makes you feel like anything is possible. It's a freeing feeling.
SOOPOO
SOOPOO
December 16th, 2020 at 1:42:13 PM permalink
Quote: StevieRayShine

Yep! Ho Chi Minh/Saigon :) I've been living in VN for about a year and a half now and usually take my motorbike everywhere but definitely enjoyed the feeling of being on a bike in the crazy city. I've noticed people from the south generally call it Saigon still and then you get mixed references as you go north. The entire country though is so gorgeous and makes you feel like anything is possible. It's a freeing feeling.

Welcome to the forum. If you want, I think the forum would be very interested in how you ended up in Vietnam! If you want to share, start a new thread!
mcallister3200
mcallister3200
December 16th, 2020 at 2:33:46 PM permalink
Quote: jjjoooggg

Also bikefriday.

https://www.bikefriday.com/folding-bikes/

Eliminated this company as an option solely on the website. One of if not the most user unfriendly website I’ve come across in the last decade. They should spend a couple bucks on some web development.
rxwine
rxwine
December 16th, 2020 at 3:09:29 PM permalink
You can also buy an electric kit for many regular bikes,

I was looking for the one that's been around for a long time, but I couldn't remember the name.

I'm not familiar with any of these. But here's a link

https://reviews.chicagotribune.com/reviews/best-electric-bike-conversion-kits
There's no secret. Just know what you're talking about before you open your mouth.
rxwine
rxwine
December 16th, 2020 at 3:19:37 PM permalink
Some of the expensive models are slick, and only a closer look reveals that they are electric. They usually aren't the most powerful, but you can't escape some extra size of components if you want lots of power. But like I said, most every size offered can do a decent hill climb. It just might be faster on the more powerful ones.
rxwine
rxwine
December 16th, 2020 at 3:29:37 PM permalink
Selling point ahead.

Believe it or not, if you have good areas to ride, an electric bike with variable assist can encourage more exercise. Why you ask? Because, no matter how tired you are or not feeling like riding, you can adjust the power. Do as much or as little as you want. Once you get out riding you often can start to feel more like going and start doing more on your own.

If you have a poor area for riding, the above may not apply.
DRich
DRich
  • Threads: 86
December 16th, 2020 at 5:23:00 PM permalink
Quote: rxwine

Selling point ahead.

Believe it or not, if you have good areas to ride, an electric bike with variable assist can encourage more exercise. Why you ask? Because, no matter how tired you are or not feeling like riding, you can adjust the power. Do as much or as little as you want. Once you get out riding you often can start to feel more like going and start doing more on your own.

If you have a poor area for riding, the above may not apply.

Or, you just ride away from home on the battery until it is drained and then pedal back.
At my age, a "Life In Prison" sentence is not much of a deterrent.
Mental
Mental
  • Threads: 13
December 16th, 2020 at 7:47:24 PM permalink
We bought the cheap ZiZZO EuroMini bikes to use on NCL cruises. https://zizzo.bike/products/zizzo-folding-bike-forte
NCL only allows folders on board their cruise ships. The bike fits under the bed when it is boxed. We put 150 miles on these bike on one 14-day cruise. The folders goes at about 3/4 speed for the same effort -- much more rolling resistance on 20 inch tires. I bought high-pressure 110 PSI tires when I wore the first set out. I want to buy the ZiZZO Forte model to replace the lighter weight version I have. All models were out of stock when I looked in spring (COVID lockdown demand). The ZiZZO folds and unfolds easily. Both fit in the trunk of a mid-size sedan.

ZiZZO was a great value. You will want to pay up for a better brand if it is a bike you want to use for daily commuting.
This forum is more enjoyable after I learned how to use the 'Block this user' button.
  • Jump to: