Nostron
Nostron
  • Threads: 6
June 24th, 2014 at 6:52:53 AM permalink
So is Indians offensive?

How about the Florida State Seminoles who have been protested before despite the fact they have the full support of the Seminole tribe of Florida. why not make them change also?
Nareed
Nareed
  • Threads: 373
June 24th, 2014 at 6:55:18 AM permalink
Quote: terapined

Change the name.
Its so easy.

I agree. They have a very offensive name. Without delay they should call the team the Virginia-Maryland Redskins.
Donald Trump is a fucking criminal
kewlj
kewlj
  • Threads: 216
June 24th, 2014 at 6:59:06 AM permalink
I don't know if the name redskin is offensive. I am not American Indian, so I can't make that call. It seems strange that no one complained for all so many years and now all of the sudden it is a problem.

What I do believe is that tomahawk chop thing that the Atlanta Braves fans do is offensive! When you think about it, the tomahawk chop represents one of the more savage aspects of the Indians....scalping. And even more important, as a Braves rival.....Philadelphia Phillies fan, that chop thing is just soooo damn annoying. Lol.
kubikulann
kubikulann
  • Threads: 27
June 24th, 2014 at 7:02:37 AM permalink
Quote: beachbumbabs

But it's not up to me what offends someone else, either.

That is precisely the problem.
You can't define an offense based on what one person feels: anybody could claim they are offensed by anyone.

In my school, I have been reported for calling a student "son of a banker". I laughed it out by saying, "So he admits it is an insult?" but they didn't bite it.
Reperiet qui quaesiverit
FatGeezus
FatGeezus
  • Threads: 8
June 24th, 2014 at 7:08:43 AM permalink
Quote: Ibeatyouraces

I think its more offensive to be called a Detroit Lion.

It's more offensive to be called the New YORK Giants or the New YORK Jets.

Both teams are in NEW JERSEY!!!!!!!!!
Ibeatyouraces
Ibeatyouraces
  • Threads: 68
June 24th, 2014 at 7:12:49 AM permalink
deleted
DUHHIIIIIIIII HEARD THAT!
ChampagneFireball
ChampagneFireball
  • Threads: 16
June 24th, 2014 at 7:24:29 AM permalink
Quote: kewlj

I don't know if the name redskin is offensive. I am not American Indian, so I can't make that call. It seems strange that no one complained for all so many years and now all of the sudden it is a problem.

There have been national protests for at least 25 years when Washington won its Super Bowl in 1988. The first trademark suit was filed in 1992 and resolved against the name in 1999, but reversed on appeal due to a legal technicality. This did not just come up last month.
Nareed
Nareed
  • Threads: 373
June 24th, 2014 at 7:34:59 AM permalink
Quote: Ibeatyouraces

I was about to quite Nareeds post and use that. But then again, being called anything "New Jersey" is an insult.

Not as bad as being named after a malarial swamp which has gotten even more unsalubrious over the last 200 years ;)

Edited: the owners might also consider moving the team to Cleveland. I hear the people there would love to have a football team.
Donald Trump is a fucking criminal
Sabretom2
Sabretom2
  • Threads: 11
June 24th, 2014 at 7:40:01 AM permalink
Many of the Dallas franchise players are ethnic Africans. It's been my experience they don't like to be called boy. Anyway, Dallas Cowmen seems to be the obvious solution.
darkoz
darkoz
  • Threads: 268
June 24th, 2014 at 7:47:30 AM permalink
Quote: beachbumbabs

I have never seen "Redskins" used derogatorily when referring to the Washington team. And I've never understood it to be a derogatory term, though I grew up in the Plains among many tribes, where there were other words that WERE considered offensive, and we supported the Minnesota Vikings, which is an ethnic reference as well, though apparently not one that's considered derogatory. But it's not up to me what offends someone else, either.

Vikings were what they called themselves I believe. American Indians did not call themselves redskins.

However, the problem may be simply the power of the image the word conjures. When I hear Vikings, I imagine a strong people with horned helmets and axes disembarking from dragon-ships in an attempt at conquering uncharted lands.

When I hear Redskins I think of guys with feathered headdress popping their cupped hands to their mouths as they dance around a campfire (yes, stereotypical thoughts but that is what I always saw on tv when a redskin was mentioned.)

Perhaps in keeping with the ethnicity of the team, they can change it to something with a stronger ethnic image.

How about calling themselves The Tomahawks?
For Whom the bus tolls; The bus tolls for thee

• Jump to: