Thread Rating:

NokTang
NokTang
  • Threads: 54
July 13th, 2017 at 6:20:23 AM permalink
When I was young, Gypsy women were considered very attractive. I'm surprised they haven't discovered prostitution.
MrV
MrV
  • Threads: 273
July 13th, 2017 at 8:06:20 AM permalink
Quote: AxelWolf. They just have to make sure I hear their sob story. And I'm trapped when I'm standing there ... [/q

No, you're not "trapped" at all!

As soon as you realize what's going on interrupt the scammer mid-spiel and say "I'm not interested," then turn your back on the unwanted interloper.

Extra points if you can punctuate your verbal rejection with a loud bit of flatulence immediately thereafter.

"What, me worry?"
OnceDear
OnceDear
  • Threads: 29
July 13th, 2017 at 12:22:08 PM permalink
In other news. . . .This made me LOL

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-40589631

Quote:

A Texas man who found himself trapped inside a cash machine slipped "help me" notes through the receipt slot.
The man, who police say was working on a renovation of the bank, left his phone in his vehicle before getting stuck in the drive-thru ATM's vault.
The unnamed workman was freed after shouting to ATM users, who continued withdrawing cash throughout his ordeal on Wednesday in Corpus Christi.
Police thought it a hoax before kicking in a door to withdraw him.

What kind of ATM vault has a door that can be kicked down?
Embrace the Variance Good news: I was once at a lifetime Blackjack Profit of £18K Bad News: Gravity prevailed.
GWAE
GWAE
  • Threads: 68
July 14th, 2017 at 1:29:14 AM permalink
It is so annoying to hear people say they are on a fixed income when on medicare. Wtf, my income is fixed too. It's not like I can go to my boss each month and ask for more money because I have bills. As a matter of fact, people on medicare have gotten more raises in the last 5 years than I have.
onenickelmiracle
onenickelmiracle
  • Threads: 132
July 14th, 2017 at 2:54:34 AM permalink
Quote: GWAE

It is so annoying to hear people say they are on a fixed income when on medicare. Wtf, my income is fixed too. It's not like I can go to my boss each month and ask for more money because I have bills. As a matter of fact, people on medicare have gotten more raises in the last 5 years than I have.

Just say, "I know you've got the money you old bag!"
Looks like sh!t just got imaginary!
odiousgambit
odiousgambit
  • Threads: 275
July 14th, 2017 at 3:35:03 AM permalink

Medicare is not income, so I think you mean Social Security.

It is possible to be on fixed income, and not be getting much from SS. In fact it is possible to see your pension vanish altogether.
"Baccarat is a game whereby the croupier gathers in money with a flexible sculling oar, then rakes it home. If I could have borrowed his oar I would have stayed." .......... Mark Twain
TigerWu
TigerWu
  • Threads: 7
July 14th, 2017 at 8:51:45 AM permalink

It's not like I can go to my boss each month and ask for more money because I have bills. As a matter of fact, people on medicare have gotten more raises in the last 5 years than I have.

Haha... no kidding. I've had one raise in almost 6 years that was basically just a COLA increase, that I had to ask for to get. If you figure in inflation, I'm pretty sure I'm making less money now than when I started working here.
billryan
billryan
  • Threads: 67
July 14th, 2017 at 9:40:05 AM permalink
Quote: TigerWu

Haha... no kidding. I've had one raise in almost 6 years that was basically just a COLA increase, that I had to ask for to get. If you figure in inflation, I'm pretty sure I'm making less money now than when I started working here.

Unlike a seventy year old, you can change your income by switching jobs or just by delivering pizzas or driving for uber a few hours a week. Most elderly don't have those options. It sucks you haven't gotten a raise but no one is forcing you to stay there.
It's what you do and not what you say If you're not part of the future then get out of the way
beachbumbabs
Administrator
beachbumbabs
  • Threads: 77
July 14th, 2017 at 9:45:32 AM permalink

I think you're conflating two problems here. Medical costs have gone up more than 3x the cost of living in the last 10 years, so yeah, the fixed-income crowd is seeing their money power diminish. If you include the assumption that they're all getting older and probably having to spend more of their money overall on health issues, the shrinkage has to be alarming.

A separate but even nastier problem is that, since the mid-70's, the buying power of the average salary (not even counting the lagging minimum wage) has steadily become less, until now it takes 2.5 jobs to equal what 1 ft job could provide.

My dad, in the late 60s-mid 70s, was a salesman on commission. His wages totaled from 55-65k/yr. We had a family of 6, mom never had to work, owned a large house, a lake cottage, 2 cars, a boat, could afford vacations, camps, all the little extras, as well as having healthy savings accounts, and they never bought "on time" except a mortgage in the house.

Now? A lot of people are lucky to find a job at that wage, and that was over 40 years ago, almost 50, and yet the cost of all the rest has gone waaaay up. The credit trap, where people DO try to live like that, depresses their options forever, or at least until they can get ahead of it one way or another.

This could easily turn into a super-long post so I'll stop there.
"If the house lost every hand, they wouldn't deal the game."
Hunterhill
Hunterhill
  • Threads: 39
July 14th, 2017 at 9:49:41 AM permalink
That was a very good job your dad had.
I don't know the percentile, but i would guess he would have been in the top 5-7% of wage earners.
The mountain is tall but the grass grows on top of the mountain.

• Jump to: