FrankScoblete
FrankScoblete
  • Threads: 69
May 21st, 2014 at 7:09:39 AM permalink
These are true treats so treat yourself to them:

INVASION OF THE BODY SNATCHERS (1956)

Not only is this one of the two greatest 1950’s science fiction movies, it is a great movie for any time. I’ve seen this over 20 times. It holds up beautifully. The acting and direction are first rate; the themes are monumental. Kevin McCarthy and the beautiful Dana Winter and Y-O-U face the end of humanity in the most horrible way — we are still here but we are not us. Wow!

Just buy the DVD and get ready to enjoy a truly original and scary ride. You might have to sleep with the lights on after you check under the bed and in the closet and, of course, in the basement.

Rating: Four stars ****

THE THING FROM ANOTHER WORLD [usually known as “The Thing”] (1951)

The other best film of the 1950’s science fiction and another greatest film of all time. The Thing comes to earth to…oh, no, eat us! Scary as all hell with overlapping dialogue that is amazing. The director Christian Nyby has those actors at the top of their form. The performances are just terrific. My kudos to a phenomenal movie that will rivet you to the screen!

Rating: Four stars ****

THE DAY THE EARTH STOOD STILL (1951)

A terrific movie about an alien who comes to earth (not to eat us) but to save humanity from our violent heritage. With our worldwide problems today; with Russia flexing its bearish muscles, this movie speaks to us. Great performances; great script.

Rating: Three and one-half stars*** ½ *

THE BEAST FROM 20,000 FATHOMS (1953)

Here is the official description of the movie:

“Near the Arctic Circle, an atomic bomb is detonated. This fearsome experiment disturbs the sleep of a giant rhedosaurus encased in ice for more than 100-million years and sends it southward on a destructive, deadly rampage. The Beast from 20,000 Fathoms is a film of firsts. It spawned a new era of atomic-age creature features. It was the first screen adaptation of a work by fantasy fiction titan Ray Bradbury. And it marked the first time Ray Harryhausen had control over special effects. He came up with a fantastic creature…that swims down from the north to run amok through New York City before being conquered in a spectacular Coney Island roller coaster finale. Take a classic ride. Unleash The Beast.

If you know the Godzilla flicks, then welcome to Godzilla’s superior parent.

“The Beast from 20,000 Fathoms” has set the parameters of the “giant monster comes out of the water and destroys a city” genre. In this case, the monster heads down the coast from the Arctic Circle, sinking ships, knocking over a lighthouse, eating a scientist who is hunting it, and then comes up in New York Harbor; jumping onto a pier and proceeding to knock down buildings in addition to making soldiers sick with its bacteria-filled blood.

The movie is definitely far better than all the Godzilla and other big monster flicks with the exceptions of “King Kong” (1933 and 2005) and “Cloverfield” (2008). I saw this as a kid and when the Beast eats the policeman it shattered my idea that cops were invulnerable.

The Beast’s death at the rollercoaster in Coney Island is awesome. Get your popcorn and enjoy.

Rating: Three stars ***

THEM (1954)

Damn that atomic bomb! In the New Mexico desert giant ants (created when we split the atom) start eating people and reproducing more of their creepy, crawly kind. If mankind can’t nail these gigantic creatures quickly we are not long for this world.

This is the first of the giant insect invasion movies and truly the best of the bunch. The script is excellent, the cast is excellent and the special effects are typical 1950’s (meaning they stink by our standards) but the theme hits home.

WHEN WORLDS COLLIDE (1951)

Now this is a good movie with (at times) incredible special effects (check out the drowning of New York City, almost as good as you’d see today). The topic is as current as current can be — will Earth be hit with something from outer space? We are actually making plans right now as you read this to figure out how to stop such an event from happening because we know that Earth has been hit in the past.

In this movie, it is another world and some Americans are building a ship to escape Earth and journey to the rogue planet which has a similar atmosphere as Earth.

The movie is serious and looks at how people will react to a very real, very clear, very near worldwide catastrophe. Good performances too.

Good movie all the way. Definitely worth a view.

MrV
MrV
  • Threads: 364
May 21st, 2014 at 7:24:14 AM permalink
GODZILLA, KING OF THE MONSTERS (1956)

Ogata:

"You have your fear, which might become reality; and you have Godzilla, which IS reality."

"What, me worry?"
Boz
Boz
  • Threads: 155
May 21st, 2014 at 7:35:14 AM permalink
What? Nothing from Ed Wood?
Nareed
Nareed
  • Threads: 373
May 21st, 2014 at 7:49:25 AM permalink
There are two old SF movies I've seen once and have no idea even what they're called, but would like to see again.

In one the sole surviving astronaut returns from a mission and finds Earth changed. I recall little, except that all lettering is reversed in a mirror-image way.

I recall more of the other. For one thing it starred Joan Collins. Here a physicist somehow winds up in a parallel universe where he's a writer (I think). He's also a jerk, beats his wife (Collins), and is depised by his friends. Also the world is less advanced. There is no space travel at all, no one has managed to climb Everest, etc. I think it's early 70s, because in one drunken speech the lead speaks about the Apollo Moon landings.

Of course, some old SF movies don't hold up well when seen decades later. I was very disappointed when I saw the original "Rollerball" a few months ago. But some hold up. When I watched "Logan's Run" again, however, it was much better than I remembered.
Donald Trump is a fucking criminal
FrankScoblete
FrankScoblete
May 21st, 2014 at 8:33:46 AM permalink
I think most of the 1950's science fiction movies don't hold up. But the ones I listed are the best.
odiousgambit
odiousgambit 
  • Threads: 326
May 21st, 2014 at 8:44:53 AM permalink
not from 1950s or would have made the top 5?

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00005K3O4/ref=pe_164520_118760510_em_1p_0_ti
the next time Dame Fortune toys with your heart, your soul and your wallet, raise your glass and praise her thus: “Thanks for nothing, you cold-hearted, evil, damnable, nefarious, low-life, malicious monster from Hell!”   She is, after all, stone deaf. ... Arnold Snyder
MrV
MrV
May 21st, 2014 at 9:09:44 AM permalink
Quote: FrankScoblete

I think most of the 1950's science fiction movies don't hold up. But the ones I listed are the best.

What, no "Forbidden Planet?"

Dr. Morbius: "The fool, the meddling idiot! As though his ape's brain could contain the secrets of the Krell!"

*life imitates art: pic of my Krell SACD Standard. High end, tweaky, delightful*
"What, me worry?"
Nareed
Nareed
May 21st, 2014 at 9:11:03 AM permalink

I think Metropolis held up pretty well, silen movie and all.
darkoz
darkoz
  • Threads: 297
May 21st, 2014 at 10:29:20 AM permalink
THE INCREDIBLE SHRINKING MAN 1957
For Whom the bus tolls; The bus tolls for thee
JLA
JLA
  • Threads: 0
May 21st, 2014 at 10:30:57 AM permalink
I second "Forbidden Planet".
AceTwo
AceTwo
  • Threads: 5
May 21st, 2014 at 12:31:04 PM permalink

INVASION OF THE BODY SNATCHERS (1956)

Not only is this one of the two greatest 1950’s science fiction movies, it is a great movie for any time. I’ve seen this over 20 times. It holds up beautifully. The acting and direction are first rate; the themes are monumental. Kevin McCarthy and the beautiful Dana Winter and Y-O-U face the end of humanity in the most horrible way — we are still here but we are not us. Wow!

Just buy the DVD and get ready to enjoy a truly original and scary ride. You might have to sleep with the lights on after you check under the bed and in the closet and, of course, in the basement.

I do not think I ever saw the 1956 version.
But I remember seeing the 1978 version as a child and it scared the hell out of me. I was checking under the bed for weeks.
That's the scariest movie I have seen as a child. I probably seen a lot more scary movies as an adult but the 'scary' memory does not stay.
With that one because I saw as a child in my memory that's about the most scared I have been by a movie.
I do not think I ever seen it again since then. It would be interesting if I saw it again now, how scary I would find it.
98Clubs
98Clubs
  • Threads: 52
May 21st, 2014 at 3:32:25 PM permalink
Quote: JLA

I second "Forbidden Planet".

I'll Third that.
And War of the Worlds squeeeeks in front of When Worlds Collide.

I know those are your faves Frank. No question on the top 2. I think though top 10 is far more relevant, as there were some real gems here. I can't for the life of me toss WotW, Forbidden Planet, and The Fly.
Some people need to reimagine their thinking.
Greasyjohn
Greasyjohn
  • Threads: 135
May 21st, 2014 at 6:09:59 PM permalink
And of course, The Blob. There was a theme in many of the sci fi movies of this era: You had the colonel from the nearby Air Force base, the respected pastor of the town, the esteemed scientist from the local college, and the young teenage couple that had seen the monster. These few individuals would stand around and share a cigarette and try to solve the problem that affected the whole globe-- no presidential interference, no joint chiefs of staff. Well, sometimes the United Nations would get involved, but usually the local big wigs could take care of it.
Greasyjohn
Greasyjohn
May 21st, 2014 at 6:23:47 PM permalink
Klaatu barada nikto.

How about The Lost World. I know this is from 1960, but Jill St. John traveling with her pet poodle. Come on!
Tomspur
Tomspur
  • Threads: 28
May 21st, 2014 at 6:38:08 PM permalink
How does nobody have "Aliens" on their lists????

This movie is iconic and has stood the test of time, just a little more so than Alien as the special effects had advanced a little by then.
“There is something about the outside of a horse that is good for the inside of a man.” - Winston Churchill
Greasyjohn
Greasyjohn
May 21st, 2014 at 6:39:03 PM permalink
The House On Haunted Hill.
Greasyjohn
Greasyjohn
May 21st, 2014 at 6:41:51 PM permalink
Deleted.
Greasyjohn
Greasyjohn
May 21st, 2014 at 6:47:29 PM permalink
Quote: Tomspur

This movie is iconic and has stood the test of time, just a little more so than Alien as the special effects had advanced a little by then.

Because the OP was about films from the 50s, but if we're going to open this up then Terminator Two, Judgement Day is just awesome.
Tomspur
Tomspur
  • Threads: 28
May 21st, 2014 at 6:49:40 PM permalink
Quote: Greasyjohn

The OP was sci fi movies from the 50's is why.

I missed that part, my fault :)

EDIT: I wasn't around back then....my parents were hardly around :)
“There is something about the outside of a horse that is good for the inside of a man.” - Winston Churchill
Greasyjohn
Greasyjohn
May 21st, 2014 at 6:55:06 PM permalink
How about The She Demons. That was very scary.
Greasyjohn
Greasyjohn
May 21st, 2014 at 6:58:57 PM permalink
Quote: Tomspur

The OP was about sci fi pictures from the 1950s
beachbumbabs
beachbumbabs
  • Threads: 100
May 21st, 2014 at 7:08:48 PM permalink
Glad GJ brought up "The Blob"; that was the one stuck in my head as I was looking at Frank's list. Also "The Swamp Creature" and "Attack of the Killer Tomatoes" came to mind, but then exited. LOL...though I do love the slot they did for Swamp Creature...

I have a hard time telling 50's movies apart by genre, when discussing Horror/Monster/SciFi; they seem to blend elements of each. I avoided most of them because I got horrible nightmares from a couple I watched too young, and never got past the distaste of putting myself in that position. But the "Planet 9 from Outer Space" movie (I may have the title messed up), supposedly the worst of all time; that was more purely SciFi, but it was fun in its awfulness. Much easier to laugh at stuff and enjoy how bad it is than to be genuinely scared of the aliens or monsters.
If the House lost every hand, they wouldn't deal the game.
Greasyjohn
Greasyjohn
May 21st, 2014 at 7:13:49 PM permalink
Okay: opening up the thread if I may, Frank. Village Of The Damned.
Greasyjohn
Greasyjohn
May 21st, 2014 at 8:07:29 PM permalink

How about The She Demons. That was very scary.

House On haunted Hill.
onenickelmiracle
onenickelmiracle
  • Threads: 212
May 21st, 2014 at 8:23:36 PM permalink
Not from the 1950s, but I saw a few months ago an Outer Limits episode from 1964 I felt was awesome. It was titled "Demon With A Glass Hand" starring Robert Culp. It has everything,
Time travel, AI, alien races, mind blowing technology
I am a robot.
Greasyjohn
Greasyjohn
May 22nd, 2014 at 2:23:00 AM permalink
Quote: onenickelmiracle

Not from the 1950s, but I saw a few months ago an Outer Limits episode from 1964 I felt was awesome. It was titled "Demon With A Glass Hand" starring Robert Culp. It has everything,

Time travel, AI, alien races, mind blowing technology

I remember that episode. Only saw it once many years ago. Robert Culp would find glass fingers to attach to his hand in order to figure out his dilemma. And of course a beautiful co-star was in peril and helping him along the way.

How about The Hand Of Death, 1962, with John Agar. A real low budget stinker. Or The Attack Of The 50 Foot Woman. The Fly with David Hedison and Vincent Price. The Crawling Eye with the beautiful Janet Munro. The Hand with Peter Lorre. The Bad Seed. (I know that last one isn't Sci-fi, but it's close!) Tarantula ( 1955, Clint Eastwood is the Jet Squadron Leader, uncredited, in the final scenes).
FrankScoblete
FrankScoblete
May 22nd, 2014 at 7:20:12 AM permalink
Here's my review of the science-fiction of the 1950s --- has some of the ones mentioned here:

http://frankscoblete.com/scobe-at-the-movies/reviews-of-science-fiction-movies-of-the-1950s/
MrV
MrV
May 22nd, 2014 at 7:42:21 AM permalink
What, only one star for the original "Godzilla?"

You say "It stinks?"

All I can say is ... Wow.

It's a great movie, when considered in context.

It was made by the Japanese not too long after WWII, and as such it is a well-deserved poke in the eye of the Americans: "You guys nuked us, and now see what you've unleashed?"

The dark photography and the images of Godzilla eating trains,bursting through high tension wires and destroying Tokyo scared the willies out of me when I was a boy: it really got me good.

The flow and pace of the movie is good: decent script, good effects for the time and place it was made, and hey, who can't appreciate watching Ramond Burr of all people, arguably miscast yet plodding merrily along, a stranger in a strange land?

Sort of like Godzilla himself, actually.

No, Godzilla doesn't "stink:" Godzilla flat out "stomps."

Four stars, a classic.

"What, me worry?"
98Clubs
98Clubs
  • Threads: 52
May 22nd, 2014 at 8:04:30 AM permalink
Quote: beachbumbabs

I have a hard time telling 50's movies apart by genre, when discussing Horror/Monster/SciFi; they seem to blend elements of each. I avoided most of them because I got horrible nightmares from a couple I watched too young, and never got past the distaste of putting myself in that position.

Edited for response. That would be the hallmark of a good SciFi/Monster/Horror B-Movie. Two words "Vincent Price".

Yah, The Blob is a good one. Like I said 10 is a better number. What I think "endears" this genre is the prodigy like Andromeda Strain, 2001, Fantastic Voyage, Aliens, etc. The '50's is where this started. When talking Horror, we go back to the '30's naturally.

Godzilla #'s !
Some people need to reimagine their thinking.
Greasyjohn
Greasyjohn
May 22nd, 2014 at 2:23:24 PM permalink
Jason and The Argonauts. Does it really matter that it was from the 60s? Journey to The Center of The Earth. That was in the 50s.
Nareed
Nareed
May 22nd, 2014 at 3:23:02 PM permalink

Jason and The Argonauts. Does it really matter that it was from the 60s?

In its time it was a special effects extravaganza. They did a great dela with stop-motion animation. I think the head visual effects man for that movie later did the 80s version of Clash of the Titans (I should remember his name).

Quote:

Journey to The Center of The Earth. That was in the 50s.

I recall seeing it on TV long ago. As I recall they anglicized the German characters. So Axel became Alec and so on.

Funny thing is I think I have it on DVD. Sometime last year I found two movies I wanted, and the store offered a discount for buying three or more DVDs. I looked for a cheap DVD I could add, which would still net a total lower than the other two movies without the discount. That one did the trick.

If anyone wants it, it's yours if you pay shipping costs.
SkittleCar1
SkittleCar1
  • Threads: 14
May 22nd, 2014 at 3:25:03 PM permalink
My favorite 1950's Sci-Fi movie is Back To The Future! ;-)
Ayecarumba
Ayecarumba
  • Threads: 236
May 22nd, 2014 at 9:38:01 PM permalink
Quote: Nareed

In its time it was a special effects extravaganza. They did a great dela with stop-motion animation. I think the head visual effects man for that movie later did the 80s version of Clash of the Titans (I should remember his name).

I recall seeing it on TV long ago. As I recall they anglicized the German characters. So Axel became Alec and so on.

Funny thing is I think I have it on DVD. Sometime last year I found two movies I wanted, and the store offered a discount for buying three or more DVDs. I looked for a cheap DVD I could add, which would still net a total lower than the other two movies without the discount. That one did the trick.

If anyone wants it, it's yours if you pay shipping costs.

I think the name you are trying to recall is Ray? or Harry? Harryhausen. Something like that.

As a kid, the movie that really scared me was one about these brains WITH SPINAL CORDS STILL ATTACHED attacking a bunch of people. I don't recall the name, or much of the plot, except there is a scene where the heroes are holed up in a cabin, and the brains start swarming the doors and windows trying to get in. THEY COULD FLY! Man that's traumatic when you're 7.

You have to give credit to Godzilla. No one on the list has endured like he has. There are more films with him in it than you can count on two hands.
Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication - Leonardo da Vinci
Greasyjohn
Greasyjohn
May 22nd, 2014 at 9:58:17 PM permalink
Gamera.
Buzzard
Buzzard
  • Threads: 90
May 22nd, 2014 at 10:41:05 PM permalink
How can this many people overlook this film ?

Here is a 1minute 33 second trailer :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u2ukRYsYPmo
Shed not for her the bitter tear Nor give the heart to vain regret Tis but the casket that lies here, The gem that filled it Sparkles yet
FrankScoblete
FrankScoblete
May 23rd, 2014 at 3:11:42 AM permalink
I went on an Ed Wood kick many, many years ago --- horribly bad movies. The best movie involving Ed Wood is actually the movie about Ed Wood with Johnny Depp. Titled "Ed Wood."

Wood's "badness" as a director is good for a few laughs. Sadly, he wound up making porn when his directing career ended. In "Plan 9 from Outer Space" Lugosi was on his last legs due to his heroin addiction. I think Wood was in his early 50s when he died.
Greasyjohn
Greasyjohn
May 31st, 2014 at 4:35:20 PM permalink
Saturday, From The earth To The Moon. Debra Paget is the eye candy.

The Tingler was on earlier with Vincent Price.

But Debra Paget was great.
MrV
MrV
May 31st, 2014 at 6:38:49 PM permalink
Quote:

As a kid, the movie that really scared me was one about these brains WITH SPINAL CORDS STILL ATTACHED attacking a bunch of people. I don't recall the name, or much of the plot, except there is a scene where the heroes are holed up in a cabin, and the brains start swarming the doors and windows trying to get in. THEY COULD FLY! Man that's traumatic when you're 7.

Yeah, that one scared the willies out of me too.

Fiend Without A Face

Another often overlooked one that really rattled me was The Crawling Eye
"What, me worry?"
Greasyjohn
Greasyjohn
May 31st, 2014 at 7:09:03 PM permalink
Muh ha ha ha ha ha ha ha. If I had something better to say I would have .
rxwine
rxwine
  • Threads: 212
May 31st, 2014 at 11:46:49 PM permalink
1961, but it was probably completed in the 50s (maybe). How can you watch that trailer and not want to know what happens. (maybe you can, just sayin')
British actors but still good actors, just probably won't know most names in U.S.

There's no secret. Just know what you're talking about before you open your mouth.
Greasyjohn
Greasyjohn
July 5th, 2014 at 9:16:13 AM permalink
Watching "The Attack of the 50 Ft. Woman." How bout that little hottie Yvette Vick? But Allison Hayes. Call the fire department.
pew
pew
July 5th, 2014 at 10:51:25 AM permalink
This Island Earth. Very good movie with the "professor" played by the professer himself, Russel Johnson of Gilligans Island fame
Greasyjohn
Greasyjohn
July 5th, 2014 at 2:55:43 PM permalink
Quote: pew

This Island Earth. Very good movie with the "professor" played by the professer himself, Russel Johnson of Gilligans Island fame

He just passed away this past Jan at the age of 89.
pew
pew
July 5th, 2014 at 3:44:11 PM permalink
I had his age calculated at 90, but I'm no mathematician.
Hal
Hal
  • Threads: 1
July 5th, 2014 at 5:05:16 PM permalink
"Them."
Greasyjohn
Greasyjohn
July 5th, 2014 at 8:50:52 PM permalink
Quote: pew

I had his age calculated at 90, but I'm no mathematician.

He died in Jan of this year. He would have been 90 if he had lived to his birthday on Nov 10th.
Greasyjohn
Greasyjohn
July 5th, 2014 at 8:57:07 PM permalink
Quote: Hal

"Them."

Leonard Nimoy has a small role in this picture.
OnceDear
OnceDear
  • Threads: 63
July 6th, 2014 at 1:21:53 AM permalink
Quote: Nareed

There are two old SF movies I've seen once and have no idea even what they're called, but would like to see again.

In one the sole surviving astronaut returns from a mission and finds Earth changed. I recall little, except that all lettering is reversed in a mirror-image way.

I think you mean Doppelganger
Psalm 25:16 Turn to me and be gracious to me, for I am lonely and afflicted. Proverbs 18:2 A fool finds no satisfaction in trying to understand, for he would rather express his own opinion.
Nareed
Nareed
July 6th, 2014 at 4:46:16 AM permalink
Quote: OnceDear

I think you mean Doppelganger

Thanks! Yes, that's it.
  • Jump to: