1 vote (2.43%)
5 votes (12.19%)

41 members have voted

Buzzard
Buzzard
  • Threads: 90
August 30th, 2014 at 5:56:06 PM permalink
Quote: AxiomOfChoice

Well, he got cut, as I expected. This guy is not an NFL calibre player.

Too bad Soopoo never replied and we never got a chance to make that bet...

Yes, definitely, no bet since we can't agree on payment method.

Seems like no real effort on your part to agree.

SOOPOO " If I lost I would mail you a check for $100, or cash, and would accept a check from you, or cash, if I won. If you live in Vegas I could meet you there my next trip in October. Having forgotten about the 'practice squad' option, I am a tad less confident in my proclamation, but will still make the bet! "
Shed not for her the bitter tear Nor give the heart to vain regret Tis but the casket that lies here, The gem that filled it Sparkles yet
AxiomOfChoice
AxiomOfChoice
  • Threads: 32
August 30th, 2014 at 6:05:26 PM permalink
Quote: Buzzard

And you knew this because of your years as a professional scout, or what ?

Duh, because I know everything.

Seriously, after reading scouting reports on him and seeing his dismal combine performance, I don't even think that he would have gotten drafted had he not made a national media story out of coming out. Coming out was his 15 minutes of fame. Slow players with poor technique do not become NFL superstars.

Anyway, whether you agree with my analysis or not, you can't argue that I was correct in this instance.
Buzzard
Buzzard
August 30th, 2014 at 6:10:44 PM permalink
Any bet on whether he will eventually make a 53 man roster in the NFL ?
Shed not for her the bitter tear Nor give the heart to vain regret Tis but the casket that lies here, The gem that filled it Sparkles yet
AxiomOfChoice
AxiomOfChoice
August 30th, 2014 at 6:10:58 PM permalink

Yes, definitely, no bet since we can't agree on payment method.

Seems like no real effort on your part to agree.

SOOPOO " If I lost I would mail you a check for $100, or cash, and would accept a check from you, or cash, if I won. If you live in Vegas I could meet you there my next trip in October. Having forgotten about the 'practice squad' option, I am a tad less confident in my proclamation, but will still make the bet! "

Yes, and then I posted that Axel had agreed to hold the cash, so we had a payment method that would work. I asked if he was ok with that and still wanted to make the bet, and got no reply. I'm not sure if he never read that post or just didn't want to bet any more.

In any case, we don't have a bet. It's only $100 so it's not a big deal. In fact, the bet would not even be resolved yet. There is still a chance that he could be picked up by another team and be on a roster next week. I'm not sure if the Rams plan to sign him to the practice squad if no one picks him up (you have to cut someone and let them clear waivers before you sign them to your practice squad, so if any team wants him, they can have him)
Buzzard
Buzzard
August 30th, 2014 at 6:18:24 PM permalink
Missed the Axel post. My apologies. As for Michael Sam, can question his talent, not his courage. Every time this issue comes up, I remember preachers ranting about giving in to temptation. If you are NOT gay, where the hell is the temptation?
AxiomOfChoice
AxiomOfChoice
August 30th, 2014 at 6:25:36 PM permalink

Missed the Axel post. My apologies. As for Michael Sam, can question his talent, not his courage. Every time this issue comes up, I remember preachers ranting about giving in to temptation. If you are NOT gay, where the hell is the temptation?

Yeah I think that all this anti-gay stuff is nonsense. I'm sure that there are (non-openly) gay superstars in the NFL, and eventually there will be openly gay superstars.

But as you have to separate that from how good of a player this guy actually is. I don't see him being a successful NFL player. Sometimes the skills that make you a superstar in college don't translate to the pros. It's a different game. I thought he had a shot before the combine (as a backup LB / special teams star) but once I saw his combine speed I felt pretty strongly that it was not going to happen, which was why I wanted to bet.
Buzzard
Buzzard
August 30th, 2014 at 6:29:16 PM permalink
That's also why SOOPOO did not see your Axel post either. LOL All's fair in winning a bet. Avoiding a losing one goes in the win column too.
FleaStiff
FleaStiff
  • Threads: 265
August 30th, 2014 at 6:46:27 PM permalink
I rather doubt any bookie would factor in sexual preference. Now some college teams that get coked up and go out with freshman girls the night before a game... that might change the odds on game, but one player?
thecesspit
thecesspit
  • Threads: 53
August 30th, 2014 at 10:30:10 PM permalink

Any bet on whether he will eventually make a 53 man roster in the NFL ?

I'll put up $25 at evens that Sam is on the starting roster of 53 for a team in the NFL for at least one game by the end of the season.
"Then you can admire the real gambler, who has neither eaten, slept, thought nor lived, he has so smarted under the scourge of his martingale, so suffered on the rack of his desire for a coup at trente-et-quarante" - Honore de Balzac, 1829
Buzzard
Buzzard
August 30th, 2014 at 11:04:50 PM permalink
Damn, we are both on the same side of that bet.
thecesspit
thecesspit
August 30th, 2014 at 11:07:44 PM permalink

Damn, we are both on the same side of that bet.

Thats cos you know what I know, I suspect.
"Then you can admire the real gambler, who has neither eaten, slept, thought nor lived, he has so smarted under the scourge of his martingale, so suffered on the rack of his desire for a coup at trente-et-quarante" - Honore de Balzac, 1829
Buzzard
Buzzard
August 30th, 2014 at 11:08:23 PM permalink
SHHHHHHHH ! You never know who might be reading this !
thecesspit
thecesspit
September 2nd, 2014 at 2:33:19 PM permalink
Looks like the Cowboys will be picking him up for their practice squad.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/09/02/cowboys-plan-to-add-michael-sam-to-practice-squad/

Sorry Buzz.
AxiomOfChoice
AxiomOfChoice
September 2nd, 2014 at 2:51:43 PM permalink
What exactly was it that you "knew"? Did you hear a rumor that someone was going to sign him off waivers?
  • Jump to: