• Threads: 366
December 23rd, 2013 at 9:46:02 PM permalink
I found this interesting

Is a coin flip fair?
onenickelmiracle
onenickelmiracle
  • Threads: 212
December 23rd, 2013 at 10:03:46 PM permalink
Catching it and flipping it to the back of the other hand is how I always have done it. Guess if you wanted to cheat, choosing whether or not to take this additional step dependent on the initial landing would be key. Is this what was meant by inverting with the palm? It's quite something and knowing the coin flipped really matters. Spinning pennies highly goes tails but other mint types might not.
I am a robot.
rainy
rainy
  • Threads: 2
December 23rd, 2013 at 10:32:36 PM permalink
Cool. I'm not sure if his advice #4 is correct..

"4. If the coin is being tossed, and you’re the chooser, always choose the side that’s initially face down"

If he is using the HTHTHTH argument, wouldn't inverting it to the other palm be counted as a "flip" if assuming the flipper always inverts it?
onenickelmiracle
onenickelmiracle
  • Threads: 212
December 23rd, 2013 at 10:52:00 PM permalink
Quote: rainy

Cool. I'm not sure if his advice #4 is correct..

"4. If the coin is being tossed, and you’re the chooser, always choose the side that’s initially face down"

If he is using the HTHTHTH argument, wouldn't inverting it to the other palm be counted as a "flip" if assuming the flipper always inverts it?

Yes makes sense. I think of it as a spinning wheel always more likely to stop where it begins or whoever goes first is more likely to win a game. That's why it's saying to choose the loser, which will wind up the winner after inverting it.
I am a robot.
  • Jump to: