1BB
1BB
  • Threads: 18
November 14th, 2013 at 5:22:35 AM permalink
Have you done it? Is it worth it?

My wife will be buying some new iPads for Christmas gifts and was willing to pay the $479 that some stores are advertising. Then she saw Target's Black Friday ad selling them on that day for the $479 and the purchaser receiving a $100 gift card, reducing the cost to $379 and circumventing Apple's strict pricing policy. Since she needs three tablets that makes the offer more attractive. I would imagine the gift card is only good for Target.

Considering that Black Friday has been pushed back to Thanksgiving, is this something that we would have to line up for hours in advance? We're not willing to do that. Would the quantities be limited? Is it just a scam to get people in the door? We have been out and about on this day but have never stood in line waiting for a store to open.

If she pays the $479 it's no big deal but we all love a bargain. We will be driving up to Maine one day in the next couple of weeks and can always pick them up in New Hampshire tax free.
Many people, especially ignorant people, want to punish you for speaking the truth. - Mahatma Ghandi
AlanMendelson
AlanMendelson
  • Threads: 167
November 14th, 2013 at 5:35:06 AM permalink
I haven't seen the ad but the first question is does the ad say anything about limited quantites or limited offer? If it does then she would have to get in line. If the ad doesn't say that she could walk in at any time and if they are temporarily out of stock she should be able to receive a rain check.
timberjim
timberjim
  • Threads: 33
November 14th, 2013 at 5:35:19 AM permalink
Done it. Not worth it if you value your sanity.

If you do decide to brave the madhouse for specific items, be sure to read all the fine print in the ad. Good luck.

There are alot of great deals online and that is where I will shop.
GWAE
GWAE
  • Threads: 93
November 14th, 2013 at 5:51:42 AM permalink
3 years ago we went to Best Buy at 10PM Wednesday night for the opening at 12am Thanksgiving night. We were 2nd in line and were there for 14 hours. Now mind you I am in Pittsburgh and Thanksgiving is generally in the 30s and the nights drop into the 20s so it was quite cold. There were 4 of us and the people in front of the line had 4 people. We made it like a party. We had laptops, phones, tablets, and games to keep us busy. It was actually a lot of fun. We could have gotten there at 7am or so and still been 2nd but thats ok. The news was there to interview all of us in the early AM. As soon as the news story ran people started to show up for the line. By 6pm there were probably 200 people in line and by 10pm there were 300-400 people there. I think the ad they had this year was pretty strong but the last 2 and this years is not worth the wait. One benefit was, since we were in the front of the line and knew where all the items were located we each went to different items and were at the front of the check out lines. We made it out of Best Buy by 12:30 whereas the people in the back of the line were probably there until 5am.

As mentioned above, make sure that she could buy 3 of them. The way best buy did it was, at 10pm they came out with tickets for each item in the ad. If they had 12 TVs then they had 12 tickets. They started at the front of the line and when they ran out of tickets then the product was sold out. I know Best Buy limited it to 1 per person. I wanted 3 TVs and the others in the group didn't want one so I gave them the money to buy 1.

From my memory this is my wife and I bought:
3x 42 inch LCD TVs for $199.99 each
2x Innova Laptops $149.99 each
2x 26 inch LCD TV $99.99 each
1x HP Printer $29.99
2x Blue Ray player $29.99
A bunch of $1 DVD's
There were a few other small items that I can not remember
We spent $1169.91 and at the time everything would have been $2000 if not on Black Friday.
Expect the worst and you will never be disappointed. I AM NOT PART OF GWAE RADIO SHOW
1BB
1BB
November 14th, 2013 at 6:02:14 AM permalink
Looking again it does say while quantities last but that doesn't help. Do they designate a certain quantity for the sale and keep the rest off the floor or do they sell them all until they run out? Do all stores have the same quantity? It doesn't seem worth it especially knowing that people will be outside the doors in tents long before the store opens.
Many people, especially ignorant people, want to punish you for speaking the truth. - Mahatma Ghandi
AlanMendelson
AlanMendelson
  • Threads: 167
November 14th, 2013 at 6:20:17 AM permalink
Quote: 1BB

Looking again it does say while quantities last but that doesn't help.

That is a real... forgive the pun... crapshoot.
GWAE
GWAE
November 14th, 2013 at 6:27:20 AM permalink

Looking again it does say while quantities last but that doesn't help. Do they designate a certain quantity for the sale and keep the rest off the floor or do they sell them all until they run out? Do all stores have the same quantity? It doesn't seem worth it especially knowing that people will be outside the doors in tents long before the store opens.

All stores are supposed to have the same quantities but the quantity is not known unless you get a sales person to tell you a day or 2 before.
Expect the worst and you will never be disappointed. I AM NOT PART OF GWAE RADIO SHOW
Sabretom2
Sabretom2
  • Threads: 11
November 14th, 2013 at 6:27:34 AM permalink
How do I get on Mrs. BBs Christmas list?
1BB
1BB
November 14th, 2013 at 6:31:14 AM permalink
Quote: Sabretom2

How do I get on Mrs. BBs Christmas list?

Ha ha. I'll let you know when I figure it out. Some silly thing about being good all year.
Face
Administrator
Face
  • Threads: 49
November 14th, 2013 at 6:56:01 AM permalink

Considering that Black Friday has been pushed back to Thanksgiving....

This is abhorrent and repugnant.

Why one would rob themselves, and indeed, scores of low level, front line retail employees of an enjoyable Thanksgiving is beyond me. Not only rob themselves, but subject themselves to throngs of consumerism crazed shopping fiends who are so blinded by want that they lose all sense of propriety. It boggles the mind.

Do yourself a favor, benbakdoff. Spend the day with your wife, with your family. Relax, do something nice with and for your loved ones. Enjoy the sweet serenity of your own house and a cozy place to cuddle up. Any "sale" they try to cram down your throat can be found from this affront to the senses they call Black Friday all the way up to 12/25 and beyond.

Say true, one with a little ability and desire can find things as easily and occasionally at even better deals than BF. Stores are constantly running all sorts of sales under all sorts of pseudonyms and I have never once been unable to find gifts at rock bottom prices, often in my pjs with a beer in hand at the PC (Or sometimes in my pjs with a beer in hand at the mall. Don't judge me =p) And if it so happens that a time comes when I can't find that item? Who cares! It's materialistic, and not the point of any part of any holiday.

In closing, save yourself a stroke. Make love, not Wal-Mart purchases.

I am Face and I approve this message.
The opinions of this moderator are for entertainment purposes only.
beachbumbabs
beachbumbabs
  • Threads: 100
November 14th, 2013 at 7:10:11 AM permalink

Quantities limited generally means they have designated x number of items they will sell at that price, even if they have others in stock. Most stores will not sell more than 1 item per person present of any given item; otherwise they get VERY unhappy customers looking at other people's carts in the checkout lane and getting irate that they couldn't buy something when "that guy has 3!!!!". Store quotas of any particular item will vary, based on past sales and expected demand; some ads specify "minimum x items per store" of something so you can evaluate your chances.

The Target ad says no rainchecks; for the apple products, that just means you won't get the gift card, but you will get the same price as everywhere else as someone said if you don't buy one of the set-aside Black Friday stock. For the ipad you are looking at, it also said the gift card offer applies to ALL ipads, not just the one in the ad, so that may push the demand even further. Chances are, with the electronics, they will be giving out coupons in line for "doorbusters" like the 50" TV for $229, rather than have people physically grabbing large breakable items from each other, but it may well be up to local management how they will proceed.

The best deal Target's offering, btw, is the Friday only, spend $75 either online or in-store and get a coupon for 20% off one entire shopping trip from Dec 1-7 via email. Especially if you stack that onto their Red Card credit card, which always gives 5% off. There are no disqualifiers for electronics or anything other than eyeglasses and prescriptions. You could save yourself the hassle of Black Friday, order something you need online, then go back and use that coupon the next week to buy the ipads for even better value than the doorbusters. It might be worth a phone call to target, though, to make sure that offer would be valid for the ipads.

I get that it can be fun in a group, and $300 in gift cards is a lot of money; it reminds me of a very competitive paintball game, where you keep score, like those great prices from 3 years ago you posted. But it's become a sickening display of consumerism gone wild, between the slide of opening times into Thanksgiving itself and the rampaging crowds where people get killed and assaulted over "stuff" that will mostly be trash in 10 years or less. Not trying to sound like a snob: I'm a clearance shopper, and we were Black Friday shoppers back 10-20 years ago, but it's gotten beyond what I can stomach. I think e-Monday is a decent compromise with enough good deals that I can be satisfied.
If the House lost every hand, they wouldn't deal the game.
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
  • Threads: 240
November 14th, 2013 at 7:17:34 AM permalink
Quote: Face

Why one would rob themselves, and indeed, scores of low level, front line retail employees of an enjoyable Thanksgiving is beyond me. Not only rob themselves, but subject themselves to throngs of consumerism crazed shopping fiends who are so blinded by want that they lose all sense of propriety. It boggles the mind.

Do yourself a favor, benbakdoff. Spend the day with your wife, with your family. Relax, do something nice with and for your loved ones. Enjoy the sweet serenity of your own house and a cozy place to cuddle up. Any "sale" they try to cram down your throat can be found from this affront to the senses they call Black Friday all the way up to 12/25 and beyond.

Say true, one with a little ability and desire can find things as easily and occasionally at even better deals than BF. Stores are constantly running all sorts of sales under all sorts of pseudonyms and I have never once been unable to find gifts at rock bottom prices, often in my pjs with a beer in hand at the PC (Or sometimes in my pjs with a beer in hand at the mall. Don't judge me =p) And if it so happens that a time comes when I can't find that item? Who cares! It's materialistic, and not the point of any part of any holiday.

+1^100
All animals are equal, but some are more equal than others
DRich
DRich
  • Threads: 86
November 14th, 2013 at 9:46:30 AM permalink

It seems to me to be quite a double standard for people that complain about stores being open on holidays forcing people to work and yet they still support almost every other type of business that is open on holidays. I will respect your opinion much more when you quit using electricity, water, natural gas, gasoline, air travel, etc. Those companies have people working every holiday.
At my age, a "Life In Prison" sentence is not much of a deterrent.
beachbumbabs
beachbumbabs
November 14th, 2013 at 9:54:31 AM permalink
Quote: DRich

It seems to me to be quite a double standard for people that complain about stores being open on holidays forcing people to work and yet they still support almost every other type of business that is open on holidays. I will respect your opinion much more when you quit using electricity, water, natural gas, gasoline, air travel, etc. Those companies have people working every holiday.

Yeah, people fly 7/52/365. I got Christmas off 4 times in 25 years. Thanksgiving 3 times. But we had ways of making it work; I took shifts a lot of years for people with little kids, a lot of us split shifts or cover each other for part of one those days for at least a couple of hours with families, and we'd have nice buffet spreads we'd arrange in shifts so food was fresh as people went on break. Some things you simply sign up for with the job. However, shopping doesn't have to be one of them, and it's gotten out of hand.
thecesspit
thecesspit
  • Threads: 53
November 14th, 2013 at 10:00:37 AM permalink
Quote: beachbumbabs

Yeah, people fly 7/52/365. I got Christmas off 4 times in 25 years. Thanksgiving 3 times. But we had ways of making it work; I took shifts a lot of years for people with little kids, a lot of us split shifts or cover each other for part of one those days for at least a couple of hours with families, and we'd have nice buffet spreads we'd arrange in shifts so food was fresh as people went on break. Some things you simply sign up for with the job. However, shopping doesn't have to be one of them, and it's gotten out of hand.

I thought Thanksgiving was untouchable American Holiday, where as much was shut down as possible (including shops). I was wrong, I guess.
"Then you can admire the real gambler, who has neither eaten, slept, thought nor lived, he has so smarted under the scourge of his martingale, so suffered on the rack of his desire for a coup at trente-et-quarante" - Honore de Balzac, 1829
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
November 14th, 2013 at 10:15:48 AM permalink

Not a valid comparison. It is understood there are 24/7/365 operations due to need. WMT and other retail have survived well for years being closed on Thanksgiving. So did McDonald's until the last few years. What people are upset at is seeing how it is getting to the point that there are so few holidays where the term means anything anymore.

It will not affect me, I 100% online shop for Christmas gifts now. Meantime I just shake my head at the collapse of society as seen in the form of people causing a near-riot over "door buster" sales on some kind of made-in-china item that will be junk in 3 years.
Alan
Alan
  • Threads: 17
November 14th, 2013 at 10:20:15 AM permalink
I don't need/want anything bad enough to participate in the madness.
GWAE
GWAE
November 14th, 2013 at 10:27:11 AM permalink
Quote: AZDuffman

Not a valid comparison. It is understood there are 24/7/365 operations due to need. WMT and other retail have survived well for years being closed on Thanksgiving. So did McDonald's until the last few years. What people are upset at is seeing how it is getting to the point that there are so few holidays where the term means anything anymore.

It will not affect me, I 100% online shop for Christmas gifts now. Meantime I just shake my head at the collapse of society as seen in the form of people causing a near-riot over "door buster" sales on some kind of made-in-china item that will be junk in 3 years.

Then what about the people who run the servers. There are a lot of people behind the scenes for online shopping as well that will be working on Thanksgiving.
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
November 14th, 2013 at 10:35:11 AM permalink
Quote: GWAE

Then what about the people who run the servers. There are a lot of people behind the scenes for online shopping as well that will be working on Thanksgiving.

I guess they should have went to Barber College.
1BB
1BB
November 14th, 2013 at 11:38:51 AM permalink

Don't forget casinos. What would some people do if they closed on a holiday?
KeyserSoze
KeyserSoze
  • Threads: 13
November 14th, 2013 at 12:00:26 PM permalink
Standing outside on Thanksgiving waiting to spend money. WOW!

Indeed many of these 'bargain shoppers' will brag how much they 'saved.' News flash- whenever someone talks about 'saving' they are really talking about 'spending.' It's funny as hell.

Plus, I'd wager that more than 50% of these 'bargain shoppers' use a credit card for these 'bargain' purchases, then pay interest long after the life of whatever the hell they bought.

That's it. I'm done now.
Talent hits a target no one else can hit; genius hits a target no one else can see.
Ibeatyouraces
Ibeatyouraces
  • Threads: 68
November 14th, 2013 at 12:04:49 PM permalink
deleted
DUHHIIIIIIIII HEARD THAT!
KeyserSoze
KeyserSoze
November 14th, 2013 at 12:29:54 PM permalink
Quote: KeyserSoze

Standing outside on Thanksgiving waiting to spend money. WOW!

Indeed many of these 'bargain shoppers' will brag how much they 'saved.' News flash- whenever someone talks about 'saving' they are really talking about 'spending.' It's funny as hell.

Plus, I'd wager that more than 50% of these 'bargain shoppers' use a credit card for these 'bargain' purchases, then pay interest long after the life of whatever the hell they bought.

That's it. I'm done now.

Edit- I'm not talking about the OP or anyone that posted in this thread. I am referring to my relatives who are avid bargain shoppers. They always brag about how much money they save. Then minutes later ask me for a loan. It drives me crazy.
Talent hits a target no one else can hit; genius hits a target no one else can see.
Face
Administrator
Face
  • Threads: 49
November 14th, 2013 at 1:07:16 PM permalink

The fact that people are now forced to work, while a part of my rant, is not the point.

Everything to do with Xmas pisses me right off. Especially nowadays, where it's nothing but an 8 week orgy of consumerism. You can't even get the candles of your jack o'lantern blown out before being inundated by Xmas music, Xmas ads, Xmas decor, and 100 daily reminders that "IT'S TIME TO SHOP!"

I'm even more irate as Thanksgiving is my favorite holiday, really the only one I give a rip about. I don't even celebrate my birthday, but I'll be there, everytime, for the Thanksgiving dinner. Broke some bones last Thanksgiving morning, didn't go to the ER until almost 9pm because I wasn't missing Thanksgiving. It's everything Xmas should be, but isn't. No bullshit, no greed, no blind consumerist want, just a celebration of family and togetherness.

In any case, my opinionated rant was just that, my opinion. You've no need to agree, accept, or even respect it. But as an idea that boils down to "you should spend time with loved ones", you should at least give it a try.

This message paid for by a man that also works in a 24hr facility.
The opinions of this moderator are for entertainment purposes only.
Buzzard
Buzzard
  • Threads: 90
November 14th, 2013 at 1:12:19 PM permalink
Face, do you realize there are people who are upset with the use of Xmas, instead of Christmas ?

Take care of your own. We both know who won't be there this Thanksgiving. Hopeful I am wrong once again.

But I fear not.
Shed not for her the bitter tear Nor give the heart to vain regret Tis but the casket that lies here, The gem that filled it Sparkles yet
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
November 14th, 2013 at 2:02:39 PM permalink

I'm even more irate as Thanksgiving is my favorite holiday, really the only one I give a rip about. I don't even celebrate my birthday, but I'll be there, everytime, for the Thanksgiving dinner. Broke some bones last Thanksgiving morning, didn't go to the ER until almost 9pm because I wasn't missing Thanksgiving. It's everything Xmas should be, but isn't. No bullshit, no greed, no blind consumerist want, just a celebration of family and togetherness.

Now this is kind of scary, Thanksgiving is my favorite as well, and I spent the morning of a few Thanksgivings ago in the hospital as well. Was my birthday that year! Desk gal asks DOB, realized it and wishes me a happy one. I still have no idea what I did but I could barely walk. Anyways, Thanksgiving had 90% of the togetherness with 20% of the hassle, and the remaining togetherness of Christmas was mostly people I didn't care if I saw or not.

I've been trying to tone down my personal consumerism the past few years. Smaller house, simpler car, not buying nearly as much junk. No cable. It really does wonders for your mind.
AcesAndEights
AcesAndEights
  • Threads: 67
November 14th, 2013 at 2:07:23 PM permalink

Excellent rant. After this year I am going to try to negotiate a "Christmas truce" with my family. I don't need anything, and the whole ritual is annoying. I enjoy Christmas for the opportunity to return to my birthplace and spend time with my family and high school friends. The worst part of Christmas is buying between 8 and 10 presents (mom, dad, sister #1, sister #2, niece, niece, niece, nephew, bros-in-law 1 and 2 sometimes combined with sisters). I will happily buy something for the young kids so they can experience the young joy of opening presents, and expect nothing in return.
"So drink gamble eat f***, because one day you will be dust." -ontariodealer
EvenBob
EvenBob
  • Threads: 441
November 14th, 2013 at 2:17:16 PM permalink

I'm even more irate as Thanksgiving is my favorite holiday,.

It used to be mine too, but when I got into
my 50's I started to tire of it. Now I'll do
anything to get out of the big dinner thing.
Last year we went to a Chinese buffet, fine
with me if we do that this year too.
"It's not called gambling if the math is on your side."
Ibeatyouraces
Ibeatyouraces
November 14th, 2013 at 2:28:34 PM permalink
deleted
Mission146
Mission146
  • Threads: 142
November 15th, 2013 at 6:52:07 AM permalink
I worked a Black Friday once when I sold furniture in KC. Started the shift at 3:30a, store opened at 4:00a., had to be up at 2:30a...and if you think I minded that a bit, you must not have seen my paycheck!

I remember the department meeting we had a week before, "Anyone want Black Friday, show of hands?"

Blank stares all around, after realizing there wasn't going to be an argument with one of the veterans over the shift, I shot my hand in the air! "I'll take it, opening shift, schedule me for 4:00a-9:00p!"

"We're not going to schedule you for a seventeen hour shift, you can work 4:00a-Noon."

"Bull****, you'll give me 4:00a-6:00p, or I'll call off!"

"Twelve hours, not one minute more, 4:00-4:00."

"Only if I don't have to take a lunch!"

"You must take a lunch, but you can take thirty minutes instead of the usual hour, 4:00-4:00, in at 3:30 to prep, take it or leave it."

"Take it, I work alone until 10:00a.m.!"

"Done, xxxx, you're to come in from 10:00-6:00, since no one else volunteers. XXXX, you work Noon-9:00, you also, XXXX."

I think my two-week paycheck, take home, was about $3,500. Not bad for a single college student.
https://wizardofvegas.com/forum/off-topic/gripes/11182-pet-peeves/120/#post815219
1BB
1BB
November 21st, 2013 at 3:04:55 AM permalink
While channel surfing yesterday I came upon some people in line for Black Friday being interviewed. I figured it was footage from last year. Wrong! People started lining up Monday at a Best Buy in Cuyahoga, Ohio. Can anyone top that?

Two people interviewed by WKYC TV said that they weren't going to buy anything, they just liked hanging out.
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
November 21st, 2013 at 3:11:36 AM permalink

While channel surfing yesterday I came upon some people in line for Black Friday being interviewed. I figured it was footage from last year. Wrong! People started lining up Monday at a Best Buy in Cuyahoga, Ohio. Can anyone top that?

Two people interviewed by WKYC TV said that they weren't going to buy anything, they just liked hanging out.

Some people like the party atmosphere of standing in line for hours or days. I just wonder what their lives must be like that that is how they spend their free time and Thanksgiving, even assuming they take shifts to go to work and hopefully shower.

Still, over a week ahead of time??
mickeycrimm
mickeycrimm
  • Threads: 62
November 21st, 2013 at 3:24:15 AM permalink

This is abhorrent and repugnant. Do yourself a favor, benbakdoff. Spend the day with your wife, with your family. Relax, do something nice with and for your loved ones. Enjoy the sweet serenity of your own house and a cozy place to cuddle up. I am Face and I approve this message.

I love the peace and tranquility of the Thanksgiving Holiday. So I don't spend any of it with my family.
"Quit trying your luck and start trying your skill." Mickey Crimm
Ibeatyouraces
Ibeatyouraces
November 21st, 2013 at 6:35:13 AM permalink
deleted
vendman1
vendman1
  • Threads: 9
November 21st, 2013 at 6:47:58 AM permalink
I for one have never understood the Black Friday phenomenon. Who the hell has this kind of time?...and how much money are you really saving? People never factor opportunity costs into these things. Now it's getting worse; the Wal-Mart near me is open all day on Thanksgiving...and the deals start at midnight Fri. I will be napping and enjoying a rare day off Friday.
KeyserSoze
KeyserSoze
November 21st, 2013 at 1:46:43 PM permalink

I don't recall who coined the phrase (but I like it)-

'Black Friday is the Special Olympics of capitalism.'
KeyserSoze
KeyserSoze
November 21st, 2013 at 1:48:41 PM permalink
Quote: Ibeatyouraces

Me either. I'll most likely be at a casino.

Normally, I would do the same, but this year I may stay home and watch Pittsburgh @ Baltimore Thanksgiving night.
I'm a Steeler fan, even though they suck.
JohnnyQ
JohnnyQ
  • Threads: 262
November 21st, 2013 at 2:44:17 PM permalink

I heard a radio interview with one of the guys in line this morning. He sounded articulate, and he said he takes a week of VAC to do this and last year he claimed that he saved about $ 3000 on purchases. I wonder if he is buying 2 of everything and then trying to re-sell items. That question didn't come up, but I wouldn't be surprised. If so, greed at its worst.
There's emptiness behind their eyes There's dust in all their hearts They just want to steal us all and take us all apart
Tomspur
Tomspur
  • Threads: 28
November 21st, 2013 at 4:36:38 PM permalink
I have tried to find someone mention it here but so far no dice.....

Last year my wife and I strolled into Best Buy in Henderson at 10:30AM on Black Friday. the place looked like a hurricane had hit it with boxes everywhere, flyers all over the place and so on. The line for exchanges was out the door.

We still managed to buy a TV and walk out, no mess no fuss.

My question is this. I have recently heard that Cyber Monday is as good if not better than Black Friday. Shops are realizing that they can do as big a trade with less of the labor.

Has anybody purchased or hunted for Cyber Monday deals and if so how did they compare to Black Friday stuff?
“There is something about the outside of a horse that is good for the inside of a man.” - Winston Churchill
beachbumbabs
beachbumbabs
November 21st, 2013 at 5:45:13 PM permalink
I have seen Cyber Monday deals equal to or better than Black Friday the last several years, specifically on electronics. I think I mentioned the national Target ad already, where you get 20% off one entire trip Dec 1-7 if you spend $75 either in person or on the web Black Friday. That ad includes Cyber Monday and makes a whole week out of it.
Tomspur
Tomspur
November 21st, 2013 at 5:53:40 PM permalink
Quote: beachbumbabs

I have seen Cyber Monday deals equal to or better than Black Friday the last several years, specifically on electronics. I think I mentioned the national Target ad already, where you get 20% off one entire trip Dec 1-7 if you spend $75 either in person or on the web Black Friday. That ad includes Cyber Monday and makes a whole week out of it.

Especially with me not being in the country but I'm in the market for a 70" LCD, 3D Smart TV I may just wait for Cyber monday and do some shopping around.

Thanks
“There is something about the outside of a horse that is good for the inside of a man.” - Winston Churchill
1BB
1BB
November 28th, 2013 at 2:22:54 PM permalink
Some stores in my state opened at 8AM today, Thanksgiving Day, Kmart among them.
beachbumbabs
beachbumbabs
November 28th, 2013 at 9:22:15 PM permalink
My mother decided we really should go to Target this evening at 8pm and get a Doorbuster TV I've been looking at. I said, "Naw, you know how you hate crowds, and neither of us likes standing in line.", and she said, "But if we get there 5 minutes early, I'm sure that will be plenty of time; there won't be any line if we do that." So I agreed to take her over there. We came up the river road and in from the back side, and there were only 10 cars along the side at 5 minutes to 8. She got very excited and said, "Oh, great! Let's just park quick and run in; nobody came! " (Plan A was to drop her at the door) I went, "well, ok..." So we parked and hustled to the entrance; she said, "Oh, look! Here's a side door, but let's go around the front so we can get a cart. I don't like these side doors, anyway, they're heavy." I went, "well, ok...". So we rounded the corner, and the first door (the exit) had nobody at it, and there was a line of high carts curled around the far side of that door. She started for the door without looking past the carts, and a city cop standing there started for her. I said, "Wait, mom; come here." and grabbed her arm and brought her out a few yards towards the curb, where she could see past the blocking carts to at least 3000 people shivering in the cold against the wall of the building 5 deep, all the way back past the end of the biggest Target they build and well into next week. The cop was kind enough to back off and not laugh at her. She said, "Well, ummm, we can go get in line if YOU want to." "No, Mom, thanks, but I'm fine." We laughed all the way home; she was a good sport about it, although she said, "Well, we should have gone 1/2 hour early; I bet that would have been plenty of time."
Tomspur
Tomspur
November 28th, 2013 at 9:28:49 PM permalink
That's a funny story.

My wife told me that people had been lining up at our local Best Buy for 3 days already :)

I may consider doing that one year, just for fun...............Nah, I'll be in the bar!
AxelWolf
AxelWolf
  • Threads: 164
November 29th, 2013 at 2:09:26 AM permalink
Quote: Tomspur

That's a funny story.

My wife told me that people had been lining up at our local Best Buy for 3 days already :)

I may consider doing that one year, just for fun...............Nah, I'll be in the bar!

Some family in Vegas, Got huge tent all set up outside in the line 2 or 3 days early with a TV, couches, cots, laptops, a heater, and a propane cooking unit. They plugged in to an outlet. Its looked roomy and comfortable. They claimed they were going to save over 3k each. (probably going to sell all the stuff, since they were getting 50 to 75% off) Camping for money, sounds fine to me.

I did see a good deal on a decent Laptop for $170 normally $489. I don't mind crowds I just hate lines.
♪♪Now you swear and kick and beg us That you're not a gamblin' man Then you find you're back in Vegas With a handle in your hand♪♪ Your black cards can make you money So you hide them when you're able In the land of casinos and money You must put them on the table♪♪ You go back Jack do it again roulette wheels turinin' 'round and 'round♪♪ You go back Jack do it again♪♪
1BB
1BB
November 30th, 2013 at 5:31:55 AM permalink
My wife and I made a last minute decision to check out Target after things wound down on Thanksgiving Day. They were scheduled to open at 8PM and we arrived at 6:45 to find about 150 people in line. It was orderly and not unpleasant at all. Target employees passed out coupons, Luna bars and maps of the store.

We were there for iPad Airs and thought our chances were good for at least one after hearing that there were 30 in stock. Several people were there for Xboxes and one particular flat screen TV. That was the only item that tickets were passed out for and there were only 19. A few people left after not getting a ticket. One guy was bragging that he was going to buy Xboxes and resell them. He was more than a little upset when told that the limited quantity would be snapped up long before he made it in.

The doors opened promptly at 8:00 at which time there were several hundred people in line. In less than 10 minutes we were in the Apple line behind a few customers and could see some iPads on the shelf behind the clerks. My wife went first and got the 3 iPad Airs that she wanted for $479 each and was given 3 $100 Target gift cards.

We were out the door at 8:25 even after setting off the alarm with the iPads and waiting for someone to unlock the doors to let us out. It couldn't have gone any better.
Mosca
Mosca
  • Threads: 191
November 30th, 2013 at 6:13:09 AM permalink
Nice, 1BB. I'm glad to read that it worked out for you!
A falling knife has no handle.
1BB
1BB
November 30th, 2013 at 7:47:06 AM permalink
Quote: Mosca

Nice, 1BB. I'm glad to read that it worked out for you!

Thank you. Two of the iPads are going to students who couldn't otherwise afford them. One of the kids had his stolen. I think the gift cards may be put to good use as well. As they say 'tis the season. Wouldn't it be nice if it was always the season?
beachbumbabs
beachbumbabs
November 30th, 2013 at 3:17:52 PM permalink

My wife and I made a last minute decision to check out Target after things wound down on Thanksgiving Day. They were scheduled to open at 8PM and we arrived at 6:45 to find about 150 people in line. It was orderly and not unpleasant at all. Target employees passed out coupons, Luna bars and maps of the store.

We were there for iPad Airs and thought our chances were good for at least one after hearing that there were 30 in stock. Several people were there for Xboxes and one particular flat screen TV. That was the only item that tickets were passed out for and there were only 19. A few people left after not getting a ticket. One guy was bragging that he was going to buy Xboxes and resell them. He was more than a little upset when told that the limited quantity would be snapped up long before he made it in.

The doors opened promptly at 8:00 at which time there were several hundred people in line. In less than 10 minutes we were in the Apple line behind a few customers and could see some iPads on the shelf behind the clerks. My wife went first and got the 3 iPad Airs that she wanted for $479 each and was given 3 $100 Target gift cards.

We were out the door at 8:25 even after setting off the alarm with the iPads and waiting for someone to unlock the doors to let us out. It couldn't have gone any better.

I remember discussing this with you last month, though I thought it was someone else who was trying to buy the Apple items. Congrats on your plan working out so well, and not finding a thundering horde ahead of you!
  • Jump to: