boymimbo
boymimbo
  • Threads: 17
September 24th, 2013 at 8:54:43 AM permalink
The point is that both rich people and poor people will take the path of least resistance to do what's easiest. When you look at the opporunity costs to make equivalent to $5 from staying at home vs $7/hr from working, you're looking at working for a net gain of $2/hour, not worth it. Similarly, when rich, you can invest in your company only to pay 35% in corporate taxes or invest in another company and pay 15% in capital gains taxes? Which would you do?

The other point is that, like it or not, there is a sector of society who are incapable or have a very difficult pathway (to them) to gain skills. So, you make a societal choice, which is to take care of these citizens by taking care of them or to let them suffer, go homeless, and have terrible outcomes. Not all of us are born with a good upbringing, with good parents, and with a good brain. Not all of us are capable to see the long term consequences of our actions or our lack thereof.

We make it seem like getting a trade or developing skills and joining the 40+ hour/week rat race makes us happier. For some people it doesn't. For some people, life isn't about work = career = money = happiness. Their happiness is derived through relationships with friends and family and doing what they want with their life. If they can get by with what the government offers, they will take that path.

It seems like a choice is to cut off all government help and just let them suffer on their own, and I ask what kind of nation does that make?
----- You want the truth! You can't handle the truth!
steeldco
steeldco
  • Threads: 52
September 24th, 2013 at 9:05:11 AM permalink
Quote: boymimbo

Similarly, when rich, you can invest in your company only to pay 35% in corporate taxes or invest in another company and pay 15% in capital gains taxes? Which would you do?

If I may, I'd like to just comment on your statement regarding taxes. My investment in a company, that may pay 35% in corporate taxes annually, would, when I sell my interest in it at a profit be taxed at 15% in capital gains taxes. My investment in another company may yield a 15% capital gains tax when I sell it for a profit, but it in the meantime is also paying corporate taxes. There really is no difference between the two as far as taxes are concerned.
DO NOT blindly accept what has been spoken. DO NOT blindly accept what has been written. Think. Assess. Lead. DO NOT blindly follow.
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
  • Threads: 240
September 24th, 2013 at 10:06:45 AM permalink
Quote: boymimbo

We make it seem like getting a trade or developing skills and joining the 40+ hour/week rat race makes us happier. For some people it doesn't. For some people, life isn't about work = career = money = happiness. Their happiness is derived through relationships with friends and family and doing what they want with their life. If they can get by with what the government offers, they will take that path.

Then let them get all the happiness they want that way, but when the refuse to work and call me and others who do greedy and selfish I have a problem. While there are some who cannot get by on their own, we have defined this up to the point where 47% are riding in the cart instead of helping to pull it.

Quote:

It seems like a choice is to cut off all government help and just let them suffer on their own, and I ask what kind of nation does that make?

The successful kind the USA was pre-1963.
All animals are equal, but some are more equal than others
Tanko
Tanko
  • Threads: 0
October 25th, 2013 at 1:43:26 AM permalink
deleted
Last edited by: Tanko on Mar 10, 2016
98Clubs
98Clubs
  • Threads: 52
October 25th, 2013 at 6:15:11 PM permalink
Geeee Whizzzz, I thought legalizing drugs was a good thing... LOL
Some people need to reimagine their thinking.
  • Jump to: