MrV
MrV
  • Threads: 364
August 18th, 2013 at 10:59:31 AM permalink
Few things irk and disgust me as much as the sight of people begging in America.

I sure as hell wasn't raised to beg, and I've no respect or sympathy for those worthless clowns that clog the sidewalk and roadside holding up their lame little cardboard signs.

Hey, you worthless fucks: this is America.

People with any self respect don't beg.

loathesome, begging scum
"What, me worry?"
kewlj
kewlj
  • Threads: 216
August 18th, 2013 at 12:22:30 PM permalink
Quote: MrV

People with any self respect don't beg.

loathesome, begging scum ]

So, you are kind of torn on the issue, MrV? Don't really have a strong opinion either way? Lol
FleaStiff
FleaStiff
  • Threads: 265
August 18th, 2013 at 12:28:29 PM permalink
Sorry pal, you got it all wrong.

Churches and charities do it all the time.

And as for individuals begging lets go back some decades for facts and figures from NYC.
Working hours are short and only in good weather, income is usually above that of a college grad in a starting position.
Some notable foul weather dodges used to be the much more commonly found stockbroker offices.

I've mentioned before about Conrad Katzen's will and any paid up member of actor's equity getting a chit for free shoes. Conrad Katzen was a beggar and after awhile he became interested in stocks and bonds on rainy days but only left a modest amount for actors on their uppers. Other beggars in NYC would do the market and often did very well for themselves. Some beggars died with millions of dollars in their modest digs.

Begging and scavenging in urban areas used to be less obvious but it was always around, so too in rural America. Chop firewood for an hour or two and get a meal was fairly common. No wife in rural America discarded coffee grounds, used coffee grounds were divided between the perimeter of the garden (pest barrier when combined with pennyroyal) and gifts to hobos who wandered by so they could go to a nearby site and boil their morning coffee.

Most of today's beggars have RV's parked nearby or are picked up on schedule and taken home. True some are taken to dormitories in private homes but many beggars actually own those homes.
EvenBob
EvenBob
  • Threads: 441
August 18th, 2013 at 12:44:37 PM permalink
We've always had beggars, its just they're more visible
today. Even the old Andy Griffith show had an episode
where Opie befriends a beggar. There were several
cartoon strips from the turn of the century that featured
hobo's and beggars. There have always been men who
don't mind begging. Stephen King had a short story years
ago about a guy who had a 6 figure income in NYC who
begged, pretending to be a blind Vietnam vet.
"It's not called gambling if the math is on your side."
mickeycrimm
mickeycrimm
  • Threads: 62
August 18th, 2013 at 12:51:10 PM permalink
The sign workers make pretty good money. Offer them a $10 an hour job and see what their response is. I have a bar buddy that works a sign at Wal-Mart. He must do pretty good because he's in the bar drinking every night. He even buys ME a drink here and there.

One time I was thumbing I-90 and got dropped off in Boise. I was on the on ramp trying to thumb out. There was a haggard looking old bum at the corner of the off ramp just across from me. He was working a sign. I'm watching drivers handing him money. Then he walks over to me and asks "Are you hungry?" I was fine and said "Not really." He said "Look, I got all this food underneath the overpass that I can't use. You're welcome to it if you want it." I walked down to the overpass with him. The wall underneath the overpass was lined with canned goods. I grabbed a few cans. He said "a lot of these people hand me these canned goods. I just want the money." I asked "where are you camped out?" He pointed at the hotel next to the truck stop.

"You're in the hotel?" I asked.
"Yeah, sure. I've been there for three weeks."
"You make enough working that sign to buy a hotel every night?"
"I make a hell of a lot more that that, son."
"Is this the only spot you work?"
"No, I got a spot in Pocatello and a couple spots down in Salt Lake City, too."

One Easter Sunday, Backpack Phil and me were laying in the park in Sante Fe. It being Easter Sunday we were dead in the water for day labor. So we were lounging around for the day with our packs and sleeping bags in the park. Across the street was this big Catholic Church. Services were in and the parking lot was packed. Up the street comes this tramp. Long hair, long beard, big backpack on. He stopped at the driveway of the church, took his backpack off, then opened it up and pulled out a sign. The Church let out. People started flooding out of the doors and into their cars in the parking lot. Phil and me marveled at how many people stopped and handed money to the tramp. It took about a half hour for the parking lot to clear. The tramp puts his backpack back on, turned around and seen us laying in the park. He walked on over and plopped down in the grass. He pulled out the big wad of bills, sorted them out, then started counting. He made $194 for a half hour's work. He looked at us and said

"Where can I get some dope?"
"Go on down to the Plaza" I said "They'll fix you up down there."

He got up and took off for the Plaza.

"Phil" I said "If we ever start working signs remind me to pick on churches on Sundays."
"Quit trying your luck and start trying your skill." Mickey Crimm
rxwine
rxwine
  • Threads: 211
August 18th, 2013 at 12:54:22 PM permalink
Quote: FleaStiff

Most of today's beggars have RV's parked nearby or are picked up on schedule and taken home.

Some are doing even better than you think
There's no secret. Just know what you're talking about before you open your mouth.
kewlj
kewlj
August 18th, 2013 at 12:55:01 PM permalink
Quote: EvenBob

We've always had beggars, its just they're more visible
today. Even the old Andy Griffith show had an episode
where Opie befriends a beggar.

Without looking it up, do you remember who played that beggar, EB? This guy starred in his own comedy series a short time after that appearance in which he was also a down-trodden individual, but then is 'fortunes' changed. :-)
Ibeatyouraces
Ibeatyouraces
  • Threads: 68
August 18th, 2013 at 12:58:17 PM permalink
deleted
DUHHIIIIIIIII HEARD THAT!
KeyserSoze
KeyserSoze
  • Threads: 13
August 18th, 2013 at 1:26:23 PM permalink
Quote: kewlj

So, you are kind of torn on the issue, MrV? Don't really have a strong opinion either way? Lol

I'm not gonna take side in this debate, but that's one hell of a reply. Very clever.
Talent hits a target no one else can hit; genius hits a target no one else can see.
FleaStiff
FleaStiff
August 18th, 2013 at 1:32:33 PM permalink
Quote: rxwine

Some are doing even better than you think

Heck, the Gypsies wouldn't train their children to be pickpockets and beggars if it were not so profitable to do so.
Nor would Gypsy women start out in the USA as full time shop lifters if it were not so profitable. Ever see a shop lifter arriving in a mall in a Mercedes?
RaleighCraps
RaleighCraps
  • Threads: 79
August 18th, 2013 at 1:58:36 PM permalink

Without looking it up, do you remember who played that beggar, EB? This guy starred in his own comedy series a short time after that appearance in which he was also a down-trodden individual, but then is 'fortunes' changed. :-)

Based on the wording in the question, I am going with Sherman Hemsley, aka George Jefferson.
Always borrow money from a pessimist; They don't expect to get paid back ! Be yourself and speak your thoughts. Those who matter won't mind, and those that mind, don't matter!
MrV
MrV
August 18th, 2013 at 2:01:48 PM permalink
The brazen boldness of the New Millenium Beggars has become a sight to behold.

It's gotten so bad, so prevalent, that I may just write a letter to the local school board and suggest they prep their students for "life" by offering a course on begging: what to write, where to beg, and how to look pitiful yet contrite.

Back in my day, if a man had to beg he did it quietly then left town with his possessions tied to a stick.

Now they beg instead of working.

Bah!
"What, me worry?"
EvenBob
EvenBob
August 18th, 2013 at 2:07:16 PM permalink

I want to say Edgar Buchanan, but I think that
was another episode.
JimRockford
JimRockford
  • Threads: 12
August 18th, 2013 at 3:46:46 PM permalink

I'm going to say Buddy Epson. I may have spelled that wrong, but you told me not to look it up.

Edit: Sure enough it is spelled Buddy Ebsen.
"Truth is ever to be found in the simplicity, and not in the multiplicity and confusion of things." -- Isaac Newton
PapaChubby
PapaChubby
  • Threads: 11
August 18th, 2013 at 5:12:34 PM permalink
I am specifically concerned that children are now being taught to beg. Used to be when kids needed to raise money for school trips or athletic events, they would hold bake sales or car washes or mow lawns or shovel driveways. Now they just stand in front of the grocery store and beg for money from passers by.
kewlj
kewlj
August 18th, 2013 at 7:34:46 PM permalink
Quote: JimRockford

I'm going to say Buddy Epson. I may have spelled that wrong, but you told me not to look it up.

Yes Buddy Epson. I only know because I saw that episode for the first time earlier this year, when TVland ran a marathon just after Andy Griffith died. Sherman Hemsley? No black folks in Mayberry. I guess he could have been from one of the BIG cities, like Mt Pilot. Lol. I am afraid I have no idea who
Edgar Buchanan is.
MrV
MrV
August 18th, 2013 at 7:37:09 PM permalink
Quote: PapaChubby

I am specifically concerned that children are now being taught to beg. Used to be when kids needed to raise money for school trips or athletic events, they would hold bake sales or car washes or mow lawns or shovel driveways. Now they just stand in front of the grocery store and beg for money from passers by.

Indeed.

Saw two teen aged boys standing at the freeway offramp with a sign that read "Need money for prom."

Good grief!
"What, me worry?"
Ibeatyouraces
Ibeatyouraces
August 18th, 2013 at 7:40:56 PM permalink
deleted
EvenBob
EvenBob
August 18th, 2013 at 8:06:43 PM permalink

I am afraid I have no idea who
Edgar Buchanan is.

Ever see Petticoat Junction? Or Green Acres?
JamieV
JamieV
  • Threads: 7
August 18th, 2013 at 8:31:29 PM permalink

It certainly is! That's what's great about this country. You have the right and freedom to BEG or pursue a "legitimate" profession. And we have the freedom to criticize others decisions. This country is great!
Bang Biscuit!
Ibeatyouraces
Ibeatyouraces
August 18th, 2013 at 8:33:55 PM permalink
deleted
Ibeatyouraces
Ibeatyouraces
August 18th, 2013 at 8:39:07 PM permalink
deleted
JamieV
JamieV
  • Threads: 7
August 18th, 2013 at 8:43:43 PM permalink
I figured as much. Too bad, I was considering a career change...
Bang Biscuit!
Ibeatyouraces
Ibeatyouraces
August 18th, 2013 at 8:47:29 PM permalink
deleted
zippyboy
zippyboy
  • Threads: 2
August 18th, 2013 at 9:46:40 PM permalink
Quote: mickeycrimm

The sign workers make pretty good money. Offer them a $10 an hour job and see what their response is.

Exactly. I've been burned twice by these "will work for food" types.

1980: I was 17 or so, and part of a group handing out flyers on apartment door handles for a scout troop, or a church group (I don't remember). A group of us did it all morning, then the leaders brought us several bags of McDonalds burgers at noon, and moved us to a different apartment area and dropped us off to continue. We had leftover burgers, and saw a "will work for food" guy on a corner, and figured if we gave him the leftovers and he helped us handing out flyers, we'd all finish early and go home. We offered, he agreed, and we all started handing out flyers. Few minutes later, someone noticed the door handles he was supposed to work were empty. We looked around, and he was nowhere to be found, then we spotted his stack of flyers in a dumpster.

1991: I'm newly married, and landlord has told us to chop down all the bamboo in our backyard. We bought a high-strength weed-wacker to do the job, and spotted a "will work for food" guy at edge of Home Depot parking lot. We offered to bring the guy back to our house (about 3 blocks) to do the work and we'd cook him up a spaghetti dinner for his trouble. His response? "Fuck that! I'm just here for the money."

Since then I don't mind giving a dollar to the musicians on the bridges over LVB, but won't for the bums with "Need a beer" signs.
"Poker sure is an easy game to beat if you have the roll to keep rebuying."
rxwine
rxwine
  • Threads: 211
August 18th, 2013 at 10:01:35 PM permalink
Maybe there is a good purpose for counterfeit money.
There's no secret. Just know what you're talking about before you open your mouth.
djatc
djatc
  • Threads: 83
August 18th, 2013 at 10:25:24 PM permalink
I gave a buck to a homeless veteran dude earlier. He had his military card and everything so even if he's lying to buy alcohol at least he tried. It just sucks that so many of those guys actually didn't serve. Makes it harder to get the money to people that actually did and fell on hard times. Usually I just make a donation to an organization (Wounded Warriors Project, or some random squadron deploying or girl scout cookies)
"Man Babes" #AxelFabulous
Beethoven9th
Beethoven9th
  • Threads: 75
August 18th, 2013 at 11:57:31 PM permalink
Quote: zippyboy

I'm newly married, and landlord has told us to chop down all the bamboo in our backyard. We bought a high-strength weed-wacker to do the job, and spotted a "will work for food" guy at edge of Home Depot parking lot. We offered to bring the guy back to our house (about 3 blocks) to do the work and we'd cook him up a spaghetti dinner for his trouble.

In the guy's defense though, I don't think anyone would clear an entire backyard for a spaghetti dinner.
Fighting BS one post at a time!
RaleighCraps
RaleighCraps
  • Threads: 79
August 19th, 2013 at 6:20:09 AM permalink

... I am afraid I have no idea who Edgar Buchanan is.

"Here's Uncle Joe, and he's moving kinda slow at the junction, Petticoat Junction."

From the theme song for all you whippersnappers
Always borrow money from a pessimist; They don't expect to get paid back ! Be yourself and speak your thoughts. Those who matter won't mind, and those that mind, don't matter!
AcesAndEights
AcesAndEights
  • Threads: 67
November 2nd, 2013 at 1:46:00 PM permalink
Quote: mickeycrimm

One time I was thumbing I-90 and got dropped off in Boise....

Pretty tough to get to Boise on I-90 :).

I'm catching up on old posts, did this guy stick around? Great stories.
"So drink gamble eat f***, because one day you will be dust." -ontariodealer
beachbumbabs
beachbumbabs
  • Threads: 100
November 2nd, 2013 at 2:06:22 PM permalink
Quote: AcesAndEights

Still around, and very entertaining. I enjoy him a lot.
If the House lost every hand, they wouldn't deal the game.
FleaStiff
FleaStiff
November 2nd, 2013 at 3:13:49 PM permalink
Quote: Beethoven9th

In the guy's defense though, I don't think anyone would clear an entire backyard for a spaghetti dinner.

Be surprised. Some of those homeless are really good workers even if they know they are being underpaid. Eons ago I hired a homeless couple to clean the inside of my car at one of these outside only car washes...they did a great job and gave me money that they found under the seats which I let them keep as a bonus.

I had one guy, mainly a sign language type guy clear trash out of a thicket... when he pointed to some fruit (lots on ground and lots, lots more on tree), I nodded... he, his wife and two tiny helpers had at it and he gave two dollars of what he had earned back to me since it was simply so much fruit he felt he couldn't take it for free.

After some homeless put up a mailbox under a tree in Santa Barbara so they could receive food stamps a motorist knocked it down... narrowly missing an oil services worker and his pregnant wife who promptly decided to head to the relative safety of Los Angeles. This was severe downturn in the economy and the poor guy knew nothing but oil field work in Texas and Oklahoma and there simply was none of that anymore. His wife had done the 'have any spare change' routine and I dug for my pocketful of change which happened to be rather substantial for some reason. I could almost hear the fear in her voice when she told her husband it was alot but I just kept walking and clearly demonstrated this was not a transaction of any sort. It must be hard when an entire industry goes and a not too bright guy who knows nothing else can't adapt well.

I once picked up a hitchhiker in Phoenix(?) and soon realized all he did was hitch up and down the same road giving his drivers a hard luck story and trying to hit them up for cigarettes and spare change. He got nothing from me, but he must have been doing real well from others.

I used to attend a commune sponsored festival and the people still doing the converted buses and RVs routine were fun to meet with and learn about. Some of them had grown up hippie others had come to the lifestyle later in life. It was pretty clear that a few of those young women were "tradeable" and one even told me she had to find another man before they got to Arcata (CA), but for many of them it was a serious relationship: a man who owned the bus and a girl less than half his age who lived in it with him. Everything tie dyed and solar and straight out of the sixties. I met Alicia Bay Laurel long ago, just before she joined Lost Farm Commune in Vermont. I also met the head of Liberation News Service and also a computer programmer who used to discuss his bagel over the radio in the mornings. I met alot of hippies when I was younger, but I was a confirmed capitalist. Strange. Some really had a great work ethic, others just wanted to do drugs all the time.

Many of the 'why work when you can surf' guys really loved their lifestyle. The most serious anti nuke marches had been at San Onofre but the beach below the San Onofre reactor became the defacto headquarters for aging hippie males and much younger hippie girls. I met one guy who had been a social worker he was on his fourteenth year of a one year sabbatical. He sold solar panels for half the year and surfed the other half of the year. Alot of hippies do not really have to work for a living.
mickeycrimm
mickeycrimm
  • Threads: 62
November 2nd, 2013 at 3:17:48 PM permalink
Quote: AcesAndEights

You're right. A mental lapse. I was thumbing I-84.
"Quit trying your luck and start trying your skill." Mickey Crimm
  • Jump to: