Boz
Boz
  • Threads: 155
July 31st, 2013 at 3:44:15 PM permalink
OJ was given parole today on 1 of the Palace Station charges. He would be a free man today except for the fact the a Judge looking to make a name for herself, Judith Glass, punished with sentences far above the crime. As we all know, the others are free men today but OJ was punished for something that most people think happened years ago in Brentwood.

My assumption is that most here think he should be rotting in prison, but my question is if you are OK with this and think it is "justice" on an end around or expect every case to be judged on its own merits?
ThatDonGuy
ThatDonGuy
  • Threads: 117
July 31st, 2013 at 6:18:28 PM permalink
Not only that, but won't he have to face a parole hearing in 12 months for the "second" crime, then, if that parole is granted, another hearing 18 months later for the "third" crime, and then, if that parole is granted, still another hearing 18 months later for the "fourth" crime...and why do I have the feeling Fred Goldman will be making an appearance at at least one of those hearings to try to keep OJ in prison for as long as possible?

Here's an idea: when OJ finally gets out, he can attach a GPS tracker to himself, then sell an iPhone app for, say, $10 a pop that will let people know at all times where he is located on a map, with proceeds going towards paying off his civil suit. (Then again, somebody would probably make a pirate version for free so OJ couldn't get any of the money.)
paisiello
paisiello
  • Threads: 21
July 31st, 2013 at 6:21:03 PM permalink
Quote: Boz

...but my question is if you are OK with this and think it is "justice" on an end around or expect every case to be judged on its own merits?

Was the original murder trial judged on its own merits?
jon
jon
  • Threads: 11
July 31st, 2013 at 6:24:21 PM permalink
Quote: ThatDonGuy

why do I have the feeling Fred Goldman will be making an appearance at at least one of those hearings to try to keep OJ in prison for as long as possible?

I don't think they would allow Fred Goldman to participate in any of these parole hearings since he is irrelevant to the crimes OJ was convicted for.

Quote: ThatDonGuy

Here's an idea: when OJ finally gets out, he can attach a GPS tracker to himself, then sell an iPhone app for, say, $10 a pop that will let people know at all times where he is located on a map, with proceeds going towards paying off his civil suit.

Now there's a good idea!! But I don't think OJ has any desire to pay the Goldman's so he wouldn't agree to wear it.
kewlj
kewlj
  • Threads: 216
July 31st, 2013 at 6:31:38 PM permalink
The judge in LV has yet to rule on his May hearing, which was a request for a new trial. Some legal experts seem to think he has a pretty reasonable chance of having that granted. It then would be up to the state to decide if they want to go to the expense of a retrial. Some think the would just release him for time already served, which IMO, fits the penalty for THIS crime.

I must say that I was rather shocked at his appearance in these recent court events. He has aged
so much in the last 5 years and gained considerable weight. He really looks like an old man now. (Not that there's anything wrong with that) lol
rxwine
rxwine
  • Threads: 212
July 31st, 2013 at 8:00:21 PM permalink

My assumption is that most here think he should be rotting in prison, but my question is if you are OK with this and think it is "justice" on an end around or expect every case to be judged on its own merits?

The thing is, the court system has produced a lot of cases of uneven justice -- why do I need to especially care about OJ. I'm pretty sure his is not near the worse.

I think people have done several years for minor drug possession. Other people have been in prison for years finally freed when DNA matched someone else.

There's no secret. Just know what you're talking about before you open your mouth.
EvenBob
EvenBob
  • Threads: 441
July 31st, 2013 at 8:25:06 PM permalink
"It's not called gambling if the math is on your side."
jon
jon
  • Threads: 11
July 31st, 2013 at 8:46:12 PM permalink
I'll never forget watching the murder verdict on TV:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IjMt-5kfJ70

A lot has happened since then. Johnny Cochran died and F Lee Bailey was disbarred.
P90
P90
  • Threads: 12
August 2nd, 2013 at 2:36:12 PM permalink

OJ was given parole today on 1 of the Palace Station charges. He would be a free man today except for the fact the a Judge looking to make a name for herself, Judith Glass, punished with sentences far above the crime. As we all know, the others are free men today but OJ was punished for something that most people think happened years ago in Brentwood.

This is not physically possible. Human nature. We don't even judge the original case based on its merits. Let's even assume OJ was guilty as charged.

So, looking at the amount of public hate about OJ Simpson, if you had no prior idea of him, what would you guess his crime to be?
Probably something along the lines of shooting up a school classroom or cutting up hookers and hanging them off poles. Definitely not something so mundane as a badly divorced husband killing his ex-wife and her new man.

Don't get me wrong, there are no excuses for it, but this is a commonplace crime with very human motives, not monster territory. If say my best friend revealed he did such a thing 20 years ago, the "best" part might be at risk, but we'd probably remain friends; I know people who have done worse. Can't speak for others, but still, on its own it's as far from crime of the century as it gets.

So it's not about the crime. It was never about the crime. It's about OJ's persona, his prior fame, and it's about his defense. A defense that took the public for a fool, and won, shaking our arrogant faith in our own intelligence, the effectiveness of our justice, and most importantly our very dearly held capacity to judge one another... scraped against some strings we don't like touched.

Had he gotten off on something else, even the civil trial could've gone different, much less the current charade.
We like to judge our own firm mental constructs of personas, not the people and definitely not the cases themselves.
Resist ANFO Boston PRISM Stormfront IRA Freedom CIA Obama
ThatDonGuy
ThatDonGuy
  • Threads: 117
August 2nd, 2013 at 3:25:01 PM permalink
Quote: jon

I don't think they would allow Fred Goldman to participate in any of these parole hearings since he is irrelevant to the crimes OJ was convicted for.

Not if you believe that the reason OJ did it in the first place was to get "his stuff" before the Goldmans could.

Quote: jon

Now there's a good idea!! But I don't think OJ has any desire to pay the Goldman's so he wouldn't agree to wear it.

Then explain why he wrote his book, knowing full well that all proceeds would go towards paying off the civil judgment.
MrV
MrV
  • Threads: 364
November 27th, 2013 at 8:00:43 AM permalink
Appeal Denied.
"What, me worry?"
tringlomane
tringlomane
  • Threads: 8
November 27th, 2013 at 8:37:40 AM permalink
Fwiw, it's Jackie Glass. And I am okay with it. If George Zimmerman gets the max punishment for the latest crap he pulled, I'd be okay with that too.
  • Jump to: