HotBlonde
HotBlonde
  • Threads: 110
May 14th, 2013 at 11:09:33 AM permalink
OMG (and yes, I know that's an abbreviation and not a full word, lol) I think I am absolutely ADDICTED to this app! I play it on my iPhone 5 and can't get enough of it. I know the app came out years ago and seems to be basically identical to Scrabble (I haven't really played Scrabble too many times in my life so I'm not sure how identical the two games are) but when I was first introduced to WWF a couple years ago it seemed kind of dumb to me. You enter a word and then sit and wait. That was my impression. And since Scrabble never appealed to me in the past (I'm a numbers person, not a words person) the WWF app never caught my interest.

Anyway, I dowloaded the app recently and started playing, different games with different people all at once, and after a few games I've really caught on to how fun it is. I used to think there was nothing to it, that you just form words and get whatever points come along with it, but now in every move I am strategizing to set up each word (or words if I'm able to figure out how to place the letters to where they form other words with the neighboring tiles) to optimize my points. I never knew there could be a strategic way to play, but now a game I thought would be bland and boring ended up being competitive and super fun!

Have any of you also caught the Words With Friends bug?
OFFICIALLY and justifiably reclaimed my title as SuperHotBlonde!
Nareed
Nareed
  • Threads: 373
May 14th, 2013 at 11:23:56 AM permalink
Quote: HotBlonde

OMG (and yes, I know that's an abbreviation and not a full word, lol) I think I am absolutely ADDICTED to this app! I play it on my iPhone 5 and can't get enough of it. I know the app came out years ago and seems to be basically identical to Scrabble (I haven't really played Scrabble too many times in my life so I'm not sure how identical the two games are)

In Scrabble each letter has a point value and there's a certian determined number of each letter. Some spots on the baord are worth double or, i think, triple points for letters palced on them.

Other than that I've heard about WWF on the Big Bang Theory :)
Donald Trump is a fucking criminal
HotBlonde
HotBlonde
May 14th, 2013 at 11:32:59 AM permalink
Quote: Nareed

In Scrabble each letter has a point value and there's a certian determined number of each letter. Some spots on the baord are worth double or, i think, triple points for letters palced on them.

This is how it is in Words With Friends. And in regards to the squares ome squares are double letter, triple letter, double word and triple word.
konceptum
konceptum
  • Threads: 33
May 14th, 2013 at 12:08:08 PM permalink
I play Words With Friends regularly with a couple friends of mine. I used to play more extensively, but I encountered too many people who would just get upset and rage-quit when my score started exceeding theirs by 200 points or so. I realized that many people don't have much eye for the strategy behind the game. Not too long ago, I came across this video. The maker of the video claims this is the #1 mistake that newbie players make, and I think I agree with him. Some of his other videos about Words With Friends are interesting as well, and little tips on strategy can make a huge difference in the game.

A few years back, there was another Scrabble-clone that was playing via app on cell phones, although I can't recall the name of it at this time. I started off playing on that, and quickly encountered an older lady who would kick my butt, and by MANY points. I kept playing her, and learning. I saw what she did, how she did it, how she utilized strategy. Although I don't know her actual name, I credit her with any success I've had since then.

The two friends I play with now are able to put up with me. One only tries to come within 100 points of me. He considers that a moral victory. The other gives me a good run for the money. She beats me about once every 10 games or so. When we first started playing, she was a lot worse, but has been watching and learning strategies from me as well. The rest of my friends, although I've played them once or twice, they no longer like to play against me, and for the sake of our friendship, I don't try to play them anymore. Ha!

An important thing, strategy wise, and it may be something that the gentleman in the above video mentioned, or I heard it elsewhere, is that many people make the mistake of trying to make words, or even trying to score as many points as possible. The true objective of the game is to score more points than your opponent. It's not always advisable to put down a large scoring word if it opens up too many avenues for your opponent to score an equally, or sometimes larger, scoring word.
HotBlonde
HotBlonde
May 14th, 2013 at 12:20:45 PM permalink
I just watched the video. It's interesting to see that there are tons of strategy videos listed. I could go crazy viewing all of them. But I feel my competitive nature boiling inside my veins so I may have to view a whole bunch of them. How fun!
Buzzard
Buzzard
  • Threads: 90
May 14th, 2013 at 12:22:24 PM permalink
Still trying to break my addiction with this site !
Shed not for her the bitter tear Nor give the heart to vain regret Tis but the casket that lies here, The gem that filled it Sparkles yet
HotBlonde
HotBlonde
May 14th, 2013 at 12:26:53 PM permalink
Actually after viewing that video it got me to change my mind on how I was going to place two of my tiles where originally I was going to place them to where it would have created an 18 point word, but by moving those two letters elsewhere I am able to make 45 points out of it instead. I'm glad I watched it!
thecesspit
thecesspit
  • Threads: 53
May 14th, 2013 at 12:47:17 PM permalink
Words with friends has a different board lay out to scrabble (there's some very powerful spots on the board where you can easily get a Triple word and Tripple letter together) and a different score for each tile.

Also the start player doesn't get a double word on their first play.
"Then you can admire the real gambler, who has neither eaten, slept, thought nor lived, he has so smarted under the scourge of his martingale, so suffered on the rack of his desire for a coup at trente-et-quarante" - Honore de Balzac, 1829
konceptum
konceptum
  • Threads: 33
May 14th, 2013 at 1:29:16 PM permalink
Quote: thecesspit

Words with friends has a different board lay out to scrabble (there's some very powerful spots on the board where you can easily get a Triple word and Tripple letter together) and a different score for each tile.

There's also a different quantity of the various letters from Scrabble as well.

Further strategy helps if you know what tiles are remaining out there. It allows you to place words without fear that your opponent can capitalize on your placements.

Quote: thecesspit

Also the start player doesn't get a double word on their first play.

The starting player getting a double word score does kind of irk me. However, as one of the videos demonstrates, people usually go for this five letter word without regard to what they are actually playing. And you can usually capitalize on someone's double word start, with a much higher scoring word that doesn't even utilize a DW space. Further, the second player can usually get the DW going perpendicular to the first player's word anyway, so I think it somewhat nullifies things.
Mooseton
Mooseton
  • Threads: 14
May 14th, 2013 at 1:43:20 PM permalink
The only other difference I noticed was that in WWF the U is worth 2 points but in Scrabble just 1 point. Fun games :)
$1700, 18, 19, 1920, 40, 60,... :/ Thx 'Do it again'. I'll try

• Jump to: