2 votes (3.77%)
3 votes (5.66%)

53 members have voted

EvenBob
EvenBob
  • Threads: 441
February 18th, 2014 at 8:36:49 PM permalink
Quote: RaleighCraps

I REALLY liked Carson. The Tonight show worked with him because he really knew how to let his guests be the star, take the spotlight. .

Roger Ebert said Carson was cool, even cooler
than Sinatra. What it means when a man is
cool is, he's very much his own person. He
knows who he is and doesn't take crap. James
Dean was cool. John Wayne was very cool. One
of the coolest was Charles Bronson. He was
unflappable. He rarely spoke on a movie set,
and often stood off to the side in one spot,
not moving for as long as 30min. Almost
spooky in his solitude. He was a natural
athlete. Watch the movie Hard Times and
realize Bronson was 55 when it was made.
There's not an ounce of fat on him, he has
the torso of a 30 year old.

"I am not a Casper Milquetoast," Bronson told The Washington Post in 1985, recalling the time he was visiting Rome and felt someone stick a gun in his side. "A guy in broken English asked me for money. I said, 'You give ME money.' He turned around and walked away."

That's cool. Him and John Wayne were just playing themselves
onscreen, as they were in real life.

"It's not called gambling if the math is on your side."
rxwine
rxwine
  • Threads: 209
February 18th, 2014 at 8:44:43 PM permalink
Fallon doesn't have to be Carson. He has to be good enough to not get replaced though. I don't know where that line is.
There's no secret. Just know what you're talking about before you open your mouth.
Mission146
Mission146
  • Threads: 142
February 18th, 2014 at 8:51:59 PM permalink
Quote: boymimbo

Fallon will bring in younger viewers into Late Night which Conan failed to do. Fallon is seen as a hipper personality, and though his ratings will bring in the younger demographics, I think alot of people who get turned off with Fallon (aka older folks) will switch over to Letterman and give him a bump for when he retires in say 2 - 3 years.

How did he fail to do that? He absolutely destroyed that market segment, his advertising revenue per viewer was higher than Leno's because he attracted the highly sought after younger crowd. He consistently beat everyone in that demographic.
https://wizardofvegas.com/forum/off-topic/gripes/11182-pet-peeves/120/#post815219
PBguy
PBguy
  • Threads: 4
February 18th, 2014 at 8:53:44 PM permalink
I liked Leno a lot but I think Jimmy Fallon will do a great job with The Tonight Show. He's very talented and seems to have the respect of tons of stars - which is important to keep the guest list full. I think the show is in great hands and the first show last night was very good IMO. OTOH Conan O'Brien was a HORRIBLE choice. That was a bad decision all the way around.
teddys
teddys
  • Threads: 150
February 18th, 2014 at 9:00:54 PM permalink
Quote: RaleighCraps

I watched Leno for quite a while after Johnny left, but at some point grew bored with his show, and started watching Letterman. My current favorite is Ferguson. His whole irreverent approach at the whole talk show format is phony, but he makes no effort to hide that it is phony. That's what makes it real. He's just letting us all in on the joke. He gets away with quite a bit.

He is funny. For some reason the talking skeleton bit just slays me.
"Dice, verily, are armed with goads and driving-hooks, deceiving and tormenting, causing grievous woe." -Rig Veda 10.34.4
Ibeatyouraces
Ibeatyouraces
  • Threads: 68
February 18th, 2014 at 9:01:29 PM permalink
deleted
DUHHIIIIIIIII HEARD THAT!
Beethoven9th
Beethoven9th
  • Threads: 75
February 18th, 2014 at 9:02:51 PM permalink
^^^^^^^^^
LOL
Fighting BS one post at a time!
boymimbo
boymimbo
  • Threads: 17
February 18th, 2014 at 9:07:14 PM permalink
Quote: teddys

He is funny. For some reason the talking skeleton bit just slays me.

Craig Ferguson is damned funny. My wife doesn't like him, which is perfect, as it is a guy's show. I am seeing him and the skeleton up here in March. It should be a blast.

I saw Don Rickles last year at Fallsview. He was funny, but man he was old. I've seen Letterman, Conan, and Stewart in person.
----- You want the truth! You can't handle the truth!
RaleighCraps
RaleighCraps
  • Threads: 79
February 18th, 2014 at 9:24:15 PM permalink
If I recall correctly, and I probably don't, I think a new milestone has been hit.

After 14,000+ posts, EvenBob posted text that exceeded the 79 char line length !!!!!

I'm sure it was probably due to a copy and paste, but, hey hey, everyone has to start somewhere.
Always borrow money from a pessimist; They don't expect to get paid back ! Be yourself and speak your thoughts. Those who matter won't mind, and those that mind, don't matter!
djatc
djatc
  • Threads: 83
February 18th, 2014 at 9:48:39 PM permalink

Craig Ferguson is damned funny. My wife doesn't like him, which is perfect, as it is a guy's show. I am seeing him and the skeleton up here in March. It should be a blast.

I saw Don Rickles last year at Fallsview. He was funny, but man he was old. I've seen Letterman, Conan, and Stewart in person.

I always see a Don Rickles poster at the Orleans and keep telling myself to check out a show sometime, but keep putting it off. I love insult comics, and he's the OG insult comic.
"Man Babes" #AxelFabulous
EvenBob
EvenBob
February 23rd, 2014 at 6:26:41 PM permalink
This is entertaining for guests to do, not
the host and a guest. The host looks like
a buffoon.

Beethoven9th
Beethoven9th
February 23rd, 2014 at 6:35:09 PM permalink
This is what I missed on Fallon the other night? Guess I didn't miss anything after all. lol

The guy would be a lot better if he was actually FUNNY. Carson was funny, Leno was funny, Letterman was funny (15 years ago, that is), etc. I've never actually laughed at anything Fallon has done. Oh well.
RaleighCraps
RaleighCraps
February 23rd, 2014 at 6:50:38 PM permalink
I can't help but feel that if Carson were to come along today, he would not get hired. The execs don't have a clue.
I did not watch The Tonight show before Carson, so his format was all I knew, but so far, I'll take Carnac over any of Fallon's skits.
Fallon is more sophomoric humor, stupidly funny sometimes, but still mindless. Some of Carson's humor you had to think about a bit

The funniest thing I ever saw on Carson was one night where Carson had McMahon and Doc S. sitting on the couch, and they all started talking about alimony and ex-wives. It was hilarious! One liners left and right. I never saw a rerun of that episode. Always suspected the ex-wives were none to pleased with that episode and threatened action if it ever aired again.
Always borrow money from a pessimist; They don't expect to get paid back ! Be yourself and speak your thoughts. Those who matter won't mind, and those that mind, don't matter!
EvenBob
EvenBob
February 23rd, 2014 at 6:56:56 PM permalink
Quote: Beethoven9th

. I've never actually laughed at anything Fallon has done. Oh well.

Fallon is not and never was a comic, that's why.
He was a comic actor on SNL. He reads the jokes
like a comic actor. Carson and Leno and Letterman
were all comics before they got the tonight show.
They understand how to tell a joke and what
comedic timing is. Fallon doesn't, he's like the
guy at work telling a joke. Painfully.

Same with Conan, he was never a comic, always
a writer. His humor is all self deprecating, like
Rodney Dangerfield. But Rodney was funny because
he's a comic, Conan is just hard to watch.
Beethoven9th
Beethoven9th
February 23rd, 2014 at 7:01:03 PM permalink
Quote: EvenBob

He was a comic actor on SNL. He reads the jokes
like a comic actor

The sad part about Fallon is that I never laughed at him when he was on SNL either. He's just plain unfunny. Conan can be funny at times during interviews, but Fallon is just...............bleh
EvenBob
EvenBob
February 23rd, 2014 at 7:27:38 PM permalink

The sad part about Fallon is that I never laughed at him when he was on SNL either. He's just plain unfunny. Conan can be funny at times during interviews, but Fallon is just...............bleh

It's like I'm dumping on him, but he's boring,
not entertaining. Jumping around singing and
dancing gets old real fast. That's why most
shows don't have it anymore. The audience
of Carol Burnett is all pushing up daisies.
boymimbo
boymimbo
February 23rd, 2014 at 7:35:27 PM permalink
Fallon was a trained impressionist and he does them well. You don't get hired on SNL unless you are funny. His impressions of Barry Gibb (with Timberlake) and many other characters were memorable and funny. And give me a break, he is funny to the younger generation. Fallon is purposefully (as is Ferguson) trying to blow the joke in the monologue as a homage to Carson. In otherwords, he's trying to tell the joke badly.

Conan is funny too. He had 16 years at NBC in Letterman's spot. He wrote EPIC episodes for the Simpsons as well. I like Conan.

Conan wrote this op-ed criticizing himself in the New York Times

Mind you, I've been watching Letterman for the last 28 years.
RaleighCraps
RaleighCraps
February 23rd, 2014 at 7:43:08 PM permalink
I'm watching Fallon, and I had given up watching Leno, so The Tonight show has me back for now. Fallon does have great impressions. When he was singing with the Boss, that was great. He did a great job.
But as someone else pointed out, I'm tuning in to see the guests, not see Fallon hamming it up.
PBguy
PBguy
February 23rd, 2014 at 7:51:50 PM permalink

This is entertaining for guests to do, not
the host and a guest. The host looks like
a buffoon.

The "History of Rap" skits with JT are awesome! Fallon is actually a talented musician and his musical parodies are hilarious.
Beethoven9th
Beethoven9th
February 23rd, 2014 at 7:58:22 PM permalink

You don't get hired on SNL unless you are funny.

SNL hasn't been funny in 25+ years. Can't believe it's still on the air.
LarryS
LarryS
  • Threads: 67
February 23rd, 2014 at 8:02:48 PM permalink
It was mentioned before....as great as carson was, as great as leno was....it comes down to advertising dollars and attracting the younger crowd.

People over 45 are pretty set in their buying. They probably own the car they want to own and have a good idea what their next car will be. They are not going to be jumping to buy the newest cologne, makeup, or snack. We are less influenced by advertising. We have lived life, we what is crap and what isnt. We have already bught alot of that crap when WE were in our 20's and 30's. We are not in the demographic that pays the bills.

So when Carson made obscure references to Buster Crabbe, or James Cagney, or Marcel Marceu.....the younger crowd had no clue what he was talking about.

As talented as Rich Little was.....i will bet the voices he made his livelyhood with (wayne, cagney, bogart, fonda, carson, gabel. channing, stewart) would not be recognized by the average person under 40. Most people under 40 probably never even saw a movie with any of the above. So references to them would go over their head.

Leno is a little more Hip....but still not for the 20's and 30's crowd

Fallon can make off the cuff references about current entertainers with credibility...he may not be as funny..but he attracts the demographic that is most influenced by advertising.

Even if Fallon gets less viewers than Leno....the viewers he DOES get will have more income to buy the crap that gets advertised during his show.

and thats all the network wants.
boymimbo
boymimbo
February 23rd, 2014 at 8:12:17 PM permalink
SNL averages about 8.3 million viewers per episode, and parts of it is still funny. Not alot of it, but certainly parts of it.
EvenBob
EvenBob
February 23rd, 2014 at 8:25:55 PM permalink

You don't get hired on SNL unless you are funny..

Sketch comedy is not stand up. Those people
do better in the movies, where most of them
end up. You have to do stand up every night
on the Tonight Show, that's it's hallmark.
Fallon is not good at this and is not good
at interviewing guests. He has the wrong
talents for this show, wait and see.

Leno's talent was the same as Carson's,
they know how to tell a joke. They
make it sound like conversation. Fallon
makes it sound like he's telling a joke.
My brother in law can do that, it takes
zero talent.
boymimbo
boymimbo
February 23rd, 2014 at 8:38:41 PM permalink
You don't have to do stand up on the Tonight show. You are reading jokes that people wrote for you and it's in the delivery. Fallon is not trying to deliver jokes. He is making it clear that he is delivering jokes other people wrote for him and makes it obvious.

I gotta defend SNL and Lorne Michaels - he's a graduate of my Alma Mater.

Leno practices his craft all of the time, but that doesn't make him particularly funny. I would still give him the best marks when it comes to late night monologues over Letterman (who stopped trying a few years ago) and Fallon. But Craig Ferguson's monologue is funniest, because it isn't really a monologue. It's just an idea with a couple of jokes that just goes sideways and usually ends up being some kind of back and forth between the skeleton and him -- true comedy.

For interviewing, it's Letterman by a mile, when he's interviewing someone he actually gives a buns about. I'd take a Letterman interview with Scorcese (or even Bieber or Lohan) over anything else that Leno, Fallon or Conan could bring out. You can tell when Letterman doesn't give a crap about someone now, he just glances at the card and they're gone in the short segment.
PBguy
PBguy
February 23rd, 2014 at 8:41:18 PM permalink

You don't have to do stand up on the Tonight show. You are reading jokes that people wrote for you and it's in the delivery. Fallon is not trying to deliver jokes. He is making it clear that he is delivering jokes other people wrote for him and makes it obvious.

I gotta defend SNL and Lorne Michaels - he's a graduate of my Alma Mater.

Leno practices his craft all of the time, but that doesn't make him particularly funny. I would still give him the best marks when it comes to late night monologues over Letterman (who stopped trying a few years ago) and Fallon. But Craig Ferguson's monologue is funniest, because it isn't really a monologue. It's just an idea with a couple of jokes that just goes sideways and usually ends up being some kind of back and forth between the skeleton and him -- true comedy.

For interviewing, it's Letterman by a mile, when he's interviewing someone he actually gives a buns about. I'd take a Letterman interview with Scorcese (or even Bieber or Lohan) over anything else that Leno, Fallon or Conan could bring out. You can tell when Letterman doesn't give a crap about someone now, he just glances at the card and they're gone in the short segment.

I enjoyed Leno's monologues but the one that makes me laugh the most is always Craig Ferguson.
PBguy
PBguy
February 23rd, 2014 at 8:43:14 PM permalink

The skits with Tina Fey doing Sarah Palin were always hilarious. The show with Betty White hosting was awesome. Problem is HUGE inconsistency. Some shows are funny, some sketches are funny but the entire show is rarely very funny anymore.
rxwine
rxwine
February 23rd, 2014 at 8:49:41 PM permalink
Quote: PBguy

Some shows are funny, some sketches are funny but the entire show is rarely very funny anymore.

Concerning SNL, people started saying that in late 1976 and have been saying it on and off ever since. Not an exaggeration. I started hearing it it before the original cast was out the door.
There's no secret. Just know what you're talking about before you open your mouth.
EvenBob
EvenBob
February 23rd, 2014 at 8:54:55 PM permalink

You don't have to do stand up on the Tonight show. You are reading jokes that people wrote for you

Yes you have to do stand up, and most of the
jokes stand ups do are written by somebody
else. They're always buying jokes, they all do it. Bob
Hope and Jack Benny and all those guys did stand up
and they bought most of their jokes.

Fallon is not a comedian, plain and simple. He's not
funny.
EvenBob
EvenBob
February 23rd, 2014 at 8:58:26 PM permalink
The only reason SNL is on the air is its time slot.
The worst on TV. They used to run Best of Carson
in that slot, nobodies watching. So it's good it's
bad, leave it on the air, it makes a little money
for the network in a bad slot.
thecesspit
thecesspit
  • Threads: 53
February 23rd, 2014 at 10:54:09 PM permalink

Everytime I see a SNL best off, I turn off from not laughing. I guess it's a cultural thing when it comes to topical comedy... you guys probably wouldn't find Harry Enfield funny, nor the BBC Radio 4 New Quiz funny.
"Then you can admire the real gambler, who has neither eaten, slept, thought nor lived, he has so smarted under the scourge of his martingale, so suffered on the rack of his desire for a coup at trente-et-quarante" - Honore de Balzac, 1829
Tomspur
Tomspur
  • Threads: 28
February 23rd, 2014 at 10:55:59 PM permalink
I'm upset that Gabriel Iglesias was not part of the vote. I would have voted for him. He is funny :)
“There is something about the outside of a horse that is good for the inside of a man.” - Winston Churchill
rxwine
rxwine
February 23rd, 2014 at 11:24:11 PM permalink
Quote: thecesspit

Everytime I see a SNL best off, I turn off from not laughing. I guess it's a cultural thing when it comes to topical comedy... you guys probably wouldn't find Harry Enfield funny, nor the BBC Radio 4 New Quiz funny.

Not only that, some subtly in a skit related to a news item of that week which may be completely forgotten years later may not even register with an audience later on. A skit where a Charlie Sheen-like character appears will have lost the extra kick it had when some people would still have recognized the imitation. It will just look like random crazy guy stuck in a skit and no further context will exist for a lot of people. Charlie Sheen catchphrase "winning" (which I had to look up because I already forgot it) can just be even more meaningless.
PBguy
PBguy
February 24th, 2014 at 2:16:30 AM permalink
Well the ratings for Fallon's first week are in and they're pretty impressive. So far so good.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/tv-ratings-jimmy-fallons-post-682576
mickeycrimm
mickeycrimm
  • Threads: 62
February 24th, 2014 at 3:30:57 AM permalink
Dave Letterman has a big ranch outside of C hoteau, Montana. My Choteau friends tell me he won"t allow hunters to cross his land. So piss on Dave Letterman.
"Quit trying your luck and start trying your skill." Mickey Crimm
mickeycrimm
mickeycrimm
  • Threads: 62
February 24th, 2014 at 3:32:18 AM permalink
Deleted.
"Quit trying your luck and start trying your skill." Mickey Crimm
boymimbo
boymimbo
February 24th, 2014 at 5:03:01 AM permalink

The only reason SNL is on the air is its time slot.
The worst on TV. They used to run Best of Carson
in that slot, nobodies watching. So it's good it's
bad, leave it on the air, it makes a little money
for the network in a bad slot.

8.3 million people and a consistent 12-18 share (12% - 18% of all TVs that are on) according to Nielsen tells me that you're incorrect unless 8.3 million people is nobody. It's three times the number of people who watch the Factor, and more than twice the number of people who usually watch Leno.
reno
reno
  • Threads: 124
April 10th, 2014 at 3:55:31 PM permalink
Apparently, conservatives are really, really upset that Stephen Colbert will be taking David Letterman's time slot.

But have conservatives forgotten how cruel Letterman was to Governor Palin? Have conservatives forgotten just how liberal David Letterman is?
hwccdealer
hwccdealer
  • Threads: 11
April 10th, 2014 at 4:08:58 PM permalink
Quote: reno

Apparently, conservatives are really, really upset that Stephen Colbert will be taking David Letterman's time slot.

But have conservatives forgotten how cruel Letterman was to Governor Palin? Have conservatives forgotten just how liberal David Letterman is?

If I'm not mistaken, Jay Leno was pretty liberal or at least a self-described Democrat, and I never heard a peep out of conservatives regarding his politics.
EvenBob
EvenBob
November 1st, 2015 at 9:47:36 AM permalink
Looks like Jimmy Fallon is an out of control
alcoholic. He's injured himself while drunk
three times just this year.

http://nypost.com/2015/11/01/is-jimmy-fallons-partying-getting-out-of-hand/
Greasyjohn
Greasyjohn
  • Threads: 135
November 1st, 2015 at 10:03:14 AM permalink

Looks like Jimmy Fallon is an out of control
alcoholic. He's injured himself while drunk
three times just this year.

http://nypost.com/2015/11/01/is-jimmy-fallons-partying-getting-out-of-hand/

Johnny Carson had a drinking problem too. When he was the host of the show one of the rules was that guests could not bring up his drinking. This was discussed in a 60 Minutes interview with Johnny, I believe in 1979.
EvenBob
EvenBob
November 1st, 2015 at 10:28:57 AM permalink
Carson was never as bad a Fallon. He was
a private drinker, not a night club partier.
Fallon is acting like a twit, he was two kids
at home under 2 years old. How long before
his wife gets tired of his never being home
and out every night. Divorce or rehab or
both will be coming his way. He got hurt
three times this year falling down drunk.
How many times has he fallen and not
gotten hurt. I've never been falling down
drunk in my life, I can't even imagine it.
rxwine
rxwine
November 1st, 2015 at 11:00:09 AM permalink

I've never been falling down

Do you get up? Haven't you mentioned a recliner you can recline in comfortably 8 hours at a time?

If you don't get up, you won't fall down.
petroglyph
petroglyph
  • Threads: 19
November 1st, 2015 at 11:10:11 AM permalink

Carson was never as bad a Fallon. He was
a private drinker, not a night club partier.
Fallon is acting like a twit, he was two kids
at home under 2 years old. How long before
his wife gets tired of his never being home
and out every night. Divorce or rehab or
both will be coming his way. He got hurt
three times this year falling down drunk.
How many times has he fallen and not
gotten hurt. I've never been falling down

Carson had class. The rest are imitators. Johnny did go through his fair share of wives though.

I never fell down either, but I did do some stupid and wrong headed things that I would never have done sober.

Alcoholism is a progressive illness.

We have both seen some thin people drink phenomenal amounts before going to bed. Some people either have the alky gene or don't have the metabolism, or never received good training in order to drink boatloads.

If a person wants to be able to drink huge amounts of booze, it takes practice...or go fast drugs.
EvenBob
EvenBob
November 1st, 2015 at 11:20:21 AM permalink
Quote: rxwine

If you don't get up, you won't fall down.

I don't drink enough to get drunk, haven't
had a hangover in 20 years. I know exactly
what my limit is. If you're repeatedly falling
down, especially if you're injuring yourself
repeatedly, you are out of control. What
lies ahead is usually not pleasant.

Fallon's friends are all worried about him,
another sign you've lost control. He can't
handle stardom, he's not the first.
  • Jump to: