treetopbuddy
treetopbuddy
  • Threads: 34
March 5th, 2013 at 10:21:25 AM permalink
CNBC is pumping the market today. "Historic Day...... all times highs on the Dow and nearing all time highs on S&P"! "You can feel the excitement on the floor today"! Wait, what? Of course the CNBC "pump and dumpers" won't acknowledge that the market is back to 2007 levels. "Get in before it too late....your neighbors are in the market and doing great....your missing out'!

Who cares that the Fed is forcing investors into the market with zero interest rate policies. Who cares that savers are being penalized. Who cares that the Fed is adding 80 billion per month in debt to their "balance sheet". Get in before it's too late! Who cares about 17,000,000,000,000 in debt. Who cares about 80,000,000,000,000 in unfunded debt. Your missing out if your not in the market! Finally, who cares that 50 million are on food stamps.

I'm short the market and just venting.
Each day is better than the next
FinsRule
FinsRule
  • Threads: 128
March 5th, 2013 at 10:24:17 AM permalink
Sell sell sell today.

I wish I could have food stamps...
aceofspades
aceofspades
  • Threads: 366
March 5th, 2013 at 10:25:06 AM permalink
Quote: treetopbuddy

CNBC is pumping the market today. "Historic Day...... all times highs on the Dow and nearing all time highs on S&P"! "You can feel the excitement on the floor today"! Wait, what? Of course the CNBC "pump and dumpers" won't acknowledge that the market is back to 2007 levels. "Get in before it too late....your neighbors are in the market and doing great....your missing out'!

Who cares that the Fed is forcing investors into the market with zero interest rate policies. Who cares that savers are being penalized. Who cares that the Fed is adding 80 billion per month in debt to their "balance sheet". Get in before it's too late! Who cares about 17,000,000,000,000 in debt. Who cares about 80,000,000,000,000 in unfunded debt. Your missing out if your not in the market! Finally, who cares that 50 million are on food stamps.

I'm short the market and just venting.

Numbers that large become meaningless to people.
Gabes22
Gabes22
  • Threads: 15
March 5th, 2013 at 10:28:25 AM permalink
All time highs in the stock market, especially those 5.5 years apart are merely symbolic. The average historical return on the stock market is ballpark 8% annually, if you were to take those 2007 highs and what they should be now under normal circumstance, the Dow would be around 21K, the S&P would be around 2300 and we would all be better for it. Volume on the stock market has been very, very, low which suggests your average investor has largely not participated in this rally from the 2009 lows. There could be a psychological boost to the market by breaking the all-time highs, but this is hardly a boom economy.
A flute with no holes is not a flute, a donut with no holes is a danish
P90
P90
  • Threads: 12
March 5th, 2013 at 10:37:54 AM permalink
Nonsense. We have Obama now, so the market can only go up from this point on. Haven't you heard his speeches? There is no way for the economy not to boom with a man so well-spoken occupying the top branch.
Resist ANFO Boston PRISM Stormfront IRA Freedom CIA Obama
Gabes22
Gabes22
March 5th, 2013 at 10:42:27 AM permalink
Quote: FinsRule

Sell sell sell today.

I wish I could have food stamps...

Like the lady talking on a $600 phone in front of me at the grocery store this last weekend
aceofspades
aceofspades
  • Threads: 366
March 5th, 2013 at 10:49:20 AM permalink
Quote: Gabes22

Like the lady talking on a $600 phone in front of me at the grocery store this last weekend

Food stamps is a growth industry!
rdw4potus
rdw4potus
  • Threads: 80
March 5th, 2013 at 10:50:21 AM permalink
I'm always surprised by the financial media. They WORK in this sector, but they always seem to drone on with a message that basically boils down to buy high, sell low.
"So as the clock ticked and the day passed, opportunity met preparation, and luck happened." - Maurice Clarett
P90
P90
March 5th, 2013 at 10:50:23 AM permalink
Sounds like you don't respect Apple, the only all-American phone company that remains true to American labor principles even abroad, when doing business with our strategic allies known for their forward stance on human rights.

This is not acceptable. Hopefully our dear leader will issue phone stamps so that everyone can enjoy these great measures of a man.
rdw4potus
rdw4potus
  • Threads: 80
March 5th, 2013 at 10:50:52 AM permalink

Was it her Obama phone? Maybe she didn't pay for that, either...
"So as the clock ticked and the day passed, opportunity met preparation, and luck happened." - Maurice Clarett
onenickelmiracle
onenickelmiracle
  • Threads: 212
March 5th, 2013 at 10:59:15 AM permalink
When everyone knows the answer and is basically repeating past flawed plans, the answer is what people don't want to believe. If the day comes and credit is gone, the US will only be able to spend an amount equal to what it exports. This also includes tax cuts, since tax cuts are spending essentially.
I am a robot.
Boz
Boz
  • Threads: 155
March 5th, 2013 at 11:22:42 AM permalink
The market is up because many companies are doing good because they are smart. They have plenty of cash on hand, have trimmed their workforce to maximise labor and are making products people want (see the $600 phone). Regardless of what liberals and Obama (OK, one and the same) want to tell you, America is doing fine, most people that want good jobs and have made the hard choices in life have them. Most people are saving through their 401K's or IRA's and are buying stock.

The so called "poor" are still mainly in cities and continue to add to their problems by making the same mistakes their parents did. They can climb out of their situations if they really wanted to, but their actions show they dont. Obama thinks these people are not capable of making it without his help, I believe many will never improve their lives unless you stop the handouts and make them responsible.
Ahigh
Ahigh
  • Threads: 90
March 5th, 2013 at 11:33:04 AM permalink
Here's my perspective:

I've been out of the market for a while. My plan was to wait for February 15th and then decide if I wanted to take any positions.

I took a $4,000 position in INTC, and I sold that a couple days ago with $100 loss.

Things just look too scary with 2008 in the rear view mirror. But I will admit it's looking in the rear view mirror that scares me and I'm sure other people still have 2008 in their rear view mirror too.

I lost hundreds of thousands of dollars (not quite a million) from the economic downturn.

I have recovered from that (at least the half I was legally entitled to since I was married half was "hers"), but as I get older, I prefer to keep it safe.

http://quotes.morningstar.com/fund/f?t=FRTXX

Which is about as close to cash as I can get in my 401k.

I have half parked there and I have half parked in Ameritrade just in cash earning nearly zero interest.

Sitting in neutral waiting for an obvious play is my strategy, which is what I do most of the time.

If someone FORCED me to make a play today, I would sell out-of-the-money puts on something I would like to own but looks too expensive and I would get ready to grow some balls and buy it when the rest of the world is more freaked out than I am today.

But right now, count me as SKEERED!
aahigh.com
Gabes22
Gabes22
March 5th, 2013 at 11:42:47 AM permalink
Also for those people who are euphoric over the new highs today, the Nasdaq is ballpark 35% below its highs of 2000 right when the tech bubble burst
AZDuffman
AZDuffman 
  • Threads: 240
March 5th, 2013 at 11:48:38 AM permalink
Quote: onenickelmiracle

When everyone knows the answer and is basically repeating past flawed plans, the answer is what people don't want to believe. If the day comes and credit is gone, the US will only be able to spend an amount equal to what it exports. This also includes tax cuts, since tax cuts are spending essentially.

How are tax cuts spending, essentially? Are you saying if I don't tip the dealer he or she gave me $10?
All animals are equal, but some are more equal than others
Gabes22
Gabes22
March 5th, 2013 at 11:51:15 AM permalink
I agree, how the heck are tax cuts spending, all the government is doing by cutting taxes is lessening the confiscation of assets.
EvenBob
EvenBob
  • Threads: 441
March 5th, 2013 at 12:41:20 PM permalink
50 million on food stamps? Obama won't be happy till
gov't checks start bouncing, then he'll feel he's accomplished
something. I see the WH is closed to tours because of
the cuts. They won't cut the thousands of redundant
programs that are choking us, so they cut tours. The high
school freshman are running the country.
"It's not called gambling if the math is on your side."
Gabes22
Gabes22
March 5th, 2013 at 12:45:53 PM permalink
Quote: EvenBob

50 million on food stamps? Obama won't be happy till
gov't checks start bouncing, then he'll feel he's accomplished
something. I see the WH is closed to tours because of
the cuts. They won't cut the thousands of redundant
programs that are choking us, so they cut tours. The high
school freshman are running the country.

That's actually not far from the truth. Each Congressmen has "staffers" that are essentially interns. Does the Congressman read the actual bills he is voting on? NO! He assigns it to each "staffer" a section at a time and they report back to him on it and subsequently tell him what his opinion should be on it.
P90
P90
March 5th, 2013 at 12:51:26 PM permalink
Quote: EvenBob

I see the WH is closed to tours because of the cuts. They won't cut the thousands of redundant programs that are choking us, so they cut tours.

'Rats believe in spending, not in cuts. "Woo-hoo, we run this place now, we have all the money in the world, who counts!"

So the few cuts they make are designed to be as visible as possible while saving as little as possible, just for show to placate the voters.
Gabes22
Gabes22
March 5th, 2013 at 12:54:41 PM permalink
Quote: P90

'Rats believe in spending, not in cuts. "Woo-hoo, we run this place now, we have all the money in the world, who counts!"

So the few cuts they make are designed to be as visible as possible while saving as little as possible, just for show to placate the voters.

True, the government makes all its "cuts" as visible as possible. The last thing they want to do is slash the budget 25% and have nobody notice a difference.
AZDuffman
AZDuffman 
March 5th, 2013 at 1:00:41 PM permalink

That's actually not far from the truth. Each Congressmen has "staffers" that are essentially interns. Does the Congressman read the actual bills he is voting on? NO! He assigns it to each "staffer" a section at a time and they report back to him on it and subsequently tell him what his opinion should be on it.

I don't totally mind this. In any system the top people just get the high points. Like the robo-signing nonsense scandal. That is why you have staff. The congressmans time is better spent meeting with people.
treetopbuddy
treetopbuddy
March 5th, 2013 at 1:38:52 PM permalink
Quote: AZDuffman

I don't totally mind this. In any system the top people just get the high points. Like the robo-signing nonsense scandal. That is why you have staff. The congressmans time is better spent meeting with people.

Keep the schedule open for the lobbyist as they can't be bothered with details. Yes, lobbying is a form of free speech....but sleazy.....a la Wesley Mouch in Atlas Shrugged.
onenickelmiracle
onenickelmiracle
March 5th, 2013 at 1:51:36 PM permalink

How are tax cuts spending, essentially? Are you saying if I don't tip the dealer he or she gave me $10?

Tax cuts are spending because if you do not bring in the money, you are in debt by the same amount you would have been if you had spent an equal amount with a balanced budget. I don't want anyone to pay more in taxes either, but if the country is running huge deficits for almost my entire life, not collecting revenue is as the same as spending it if the end result is it will never be paid back and the country is in default.

I find it hard to believe now, but projections were supposed to have us debt free right now instead of double the debt on the official books from 2000. We have to feel the pain as a country sooner or later and the sooner we do, the less it will last. Tax cuts are spending the same way if you told your employer not to pay you. Assuming the same financial situation as the federal government, this means you're putting all spending on a credit card, kissing the revenue good bye forever but keeping the debt.

When it comes to the big picture, dollars are worthless kept anyways if they just wind up with no spending power after default. Maybe it's better owing people than being owed since the debtor has all the power without a bigger entity to enforce the debt. The other side of the philosophy being debt free would have also caused a problem because no debt would mean no bonds issued. Best I remember, this would leave the opportunity to replace the dollar as reserve currency since we would not have the power of owing other people and countries. This has always been a rational reason which explained our wars which were to stop the oil from not being traded in dollars.
I am a robot.
Gabes22
Gabes22
March 5th, 2013 at 2:00:07 PM permalink

I just feel if the Congressmen had to actually read what they voted on, their time to invent new ways to separate us from our money and/or flush what of our money they have down the toilet.
Boz
Boz
  • Threads: 155
March 5th, 2013 at 3:03:36 PM permalink
Any who doesnt think Obama is working to ensure that the cuts are noticed and hurt average people really doesnt understand his view of this Country.

As stated above, the last thing he wants is the country to move on and not even notice the cuts.
P90
P90
March 5th, 2013 at 3:12:41 PM permalink

Tax cuts are spending because if you do not bring in the money, you are in debt by the same amount you would have been if you had spent an equal amount with a balanced budget.

No. This is an extremely short-sighted conclusion.

Government deficit doesn't come from White House heating bill being $N. Government deficit comes from overspending. You collect $T in taxes, then you divide it to where it can be spent. Problem is, this spending is "sticky". If you created 100 positions last year, you can't just leave 10 positions unstaffed. Worse even, not only can't you scale down their payment, they'll even require a raise that is proscribed in your documents.

It's pretty clear that you'll go into debt 10 times deeper with 1000 positions than with 100 positions. Right now deficit is constantly accumulating. So, let's say 10% of the spending accumulates into deficit each year. Undercollecting $100 out of $1,000 spending will keep it a steady +$100 per year. But adding $100 to the spending will next year have you need $1,100, and 10% of that is $110. It will grow in a geometric progression.
AZDuffman
AZDuffman 
March 5th, 2013 at 3:28:47 PM permalink

Tax cuts are spending because if you do not bring in the money, you are in debt by the same amount you would have been if you had spent an equal amount with a balanced budget. I don't want anyone to pay more in taxes either, but if the country is running huge deficits for almost my entire life, not collecting revenue is as the same as spending it if the end result is it will never be paid back and the country is in default.

Rubbish. This assumes that all that is created belongs to the government and said government gives you all they feel you deserve. Spending is spending. Taxes are revenue.

Quote:

Tax cuts are spending the same way if you told your employer not to pay you.

No, that would be doing volunteer work. By your logic CET had a $1MM loss today because I didn't come in and lose that much by placing prop bets at the craps table.
onenickelmiracle
onenickelmiracle
March 5th, 2013 at 4:14:28 PM permalink
Either side goes the opposite direction of a balanced budget we can agree on at least. I can't argue with anyone responding above what they say doesn't sound true, but in the mean time really nobody is serious about balanced budgets, debt reversal. Just seems hopeless having nothing to do with theatrics they're playing. I just don't believe the debt levels can ever be ridden. The US has no assets that are even close to being able to pay this off. It doesn't make me feel any better about the situation knowing the last 12 years this ballooned either due to being intentionally done or incompetently done.
Unpaid for wars, huge tax cuts, TARP, bail outs, stimulus.
I am a robot.
treetopbuddy
treetopbuddy
March 8th, 2013 at 8:58:35 AM permalink
Dow continues to set new highs everyday. Stop the AP and get into the market if not already there! Corporate profits are strong! Tons of cash on the balance sheets! Tons of cash on the sidelines just waiting to get in! Stock buybacks! Your neighbors are getting rich! Hurry up and get on the gravy train! 50 million on food stamps?
AZDuffman
AZDuffman 
March 8th, 2013 at 9:28:33 AM permalink

Dow continues to set new highs everyday. Stop the AP and get into the market if not already there! Corporate profits are strong! Tons of cash on the balance sheets! Tons of cash on the sidelines just waiting to get in! Stock buybacks! Your neighbors are getting rich! Hurry up and get on the gravy train! 50 million on food stamps?

Lets see. 40MMM (40 billion for readers in Rio Linda) dollars printed each month and used to buy bonds. This drives down interest rates to near zero. So money that would go to bonds goes into stocks. Then the media remarks the economy must be doing good.

Meanwhile more people in the USA know what happened on Honey Boo Boo than understand this.
treetopbuddy
treetopbuddy
March 8th, 2013 at 9:35:27 AM permalink

Lets see. 40MMM (40 billion for readers in Rio Linda) dollars printed each month and used to buy bonds. This drives down interest rates to near zero. So money that would go to bonds goes into stocks. Then the media remarks the economy must be doing good.

Meanwhile more people in the USA know what happened on Honey Boo Boo than understand this.

who cares? 17,000,000,000,000 debt....80,000,000,000,000 or a lot more in unfunded debt. Print the money everybody will be rich. We can all make money without effort. Unemployment rate dropped. Who cares that the participation rate dropped. Get in your missing out!
Gabes22
Gabes22
March 8th, 2013 at 9:37:33 AM permalink
Keep in mind as well that the stock market IS SUPPOSED TO set new record highs every year. The stock market has traditionally been something that goes up about 8-9% annually. The fact that people are basically treading water in the stock market since 1999 is nothing to celebrate. The Dow isn't even the most accurate market index right now either. Check your 401K or IRA, my guess is you are more reliant upon the S&P than the Dow. The S&P 500 is still about 1.5% below its all time highs, the Nasdaq is still 35% below its all time highs. Volume on the stock market has been very low as of late, meaning that most people have stood on the sidelines with this rally as of late and quite frankly from what I am seeing that the market is probably due for a correction of about 5% or so fairly shortly.
treetopbuddy
treetopbuddy
March 8th, 2013 at 9:46:42 AM permalink
shake all the weak hands out of the the bond market......get them in stocks and then pull the rug out on the "chumps"
mdh
mdh
  • Threads: 0
March 8th, 2013 at 10:51:45 AM permalink
Quote: Boz

Any who doesnt think Obama is working to ensure that the cuts are noticed and hurt average people really doesnt understand his view of this Country.

As stated above, the last thing he wants is the country to move on and not even notice the cuts.

+1...Taxes are revenue but if you were to listen to potus, Nancy and Harry they would lead you to believe that spending is investment. Maybe the gov. needs to invest in the stock market instead of those failing green cos.
AZDuffman
AZDuffman 
March 8th, 2013 at 12:35:19 PM permalink

shake all the weak hands out of the the bond market......get them in stocks and then pull the rug out on the "chumps"

Lets see. Bonds are senior and often secured. Stock is equity and is not. Bk hits and the fed is going to own ever more of corporate America.
Sabretom2
Sabretom2
  • Threads: 11
March 8th, 2013 at 1:53:34 PM permalink
What happened on Honey Boo Boo ??
SanchoPanza
SanchoPanza
March 8th, 2013 at 3:28:17 PM permalink

who cares? 17,000,000,000,000 debt....80,000,000,000,000 or a lot more in unfunded debt. Print the money everybody will be rich. We can all make money without effort. Unemployment rate dropped. Who cares that the participation rate dropped. Get in your missing out!

To the Department of "Who Cares":
"Record 89,304,000 Americans 'Not in Labor Force' -- 296,000 Fewer Employed Since January
March 8, 2013
By Elizabeth Harrington

(CNSNews.com) - The number of Americans designated as "not in the labor force" in February was 89,304,000, a record high, up from 89,008,000 in January, according to the Department of Labor. This means that the number of Americans not in the labor force increased 296,000 between January and February.
The Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS) labels people who are unemployed and no longer looking for work as “not in the labor force,” including people who have retired on schedule, taken early retirement, or simply given up looking for work.

The increase marks the second month in a row, after rising in January from 88.8 million in December. Those not in the labor force had declined in December from 88.9 million in November."
treetopbuddy
treetopbuddy
March 8th, 2013 at 3:45:38 PM permalink
Quote: SanchoPanza

To the Department of "Who Cares":
"Record 89,304,000 Americans 'Not in Labor Force' -- 296,000 Fewer Employed Since January
March 8, 2013
By Elizabeth Harrington

(CNSNews.com) - The number of Americans designated as "not in the labor force" in February was 89,304,000, a record high, up from 89,008,000 in January, according to the Department of Labor. This means that the number of Americans not in the labor force increased 296,000 between January and February.
The Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS) labels people who are unemployed and no longer looking for work as “not in the labor force,” including people who have retired on schedule, taken early retirement, or simply given up looking for work.

The increase marks the second month in a row, after rising in January from 88.8 million in December. Those not in the labor force had declined in December from 88.9 million in November."

what is your deal? Something is lost in translation with you....your not getting the nuances of my posts. Please block me. Thank you very much....have a nice day.
treetopbuddy
treetopbuddy
April 10th, 2013 at 11:11:30 AM permalink
50 million on food stamps and growing. 15 million on disability and growing. 17 trillion national debt and growing. 80,000,000,000,000 or more in unfunded debt and growing. True unemployment rate 15%.

Hey, the stock market is going parabolic! Get in before it's too late! Your neighbors are getting rich! Make money with no effort! Central banks around the world have your back! Stop your AP now and call E.F Hutton. "when E.F. Hutton talks, people listen"
thecesspit
thecesspit
  • Threads: 53
April 10th, 2013 at 2:43:00 PM permalink
NPR's This American Life did a hour long piece on the growth of disability in America.
"Then you can admire the real gambler, who has neither eaten, slept, thought nor lived, he has so smarted under the scourge of his martingale, so suffered on the rack of his desire for a coup at trente-et-quarante" - Honore de Balzac, 1829
  • Jump to: