Nareed
Nareed
  • Threads: 373
December 13th, 2012 at 7:22:28 AM permalink
There are plenty of interesting discussions going on in DT. Like this one: http://diversitytomorrow.com/thread/154/0/#post2002

Yet few of WoV's regulars are even registered.
Donald Trump is a fucking criminal
strictlyAP
strictlyAP
  • Threads: 116
December 13th, 2012 at 7:35:52 AM permalink
because most are interested in gambling, which is why they opened a new forum so that people uh-hum dont bring up not related topics on here- thanks
The bet will not be paid- not now not ever
Nareed
Nareed
December 13th, 2012 at 7:55:00 AM permalink
I'm saying "get over there and join the conversation!"

Surely some of you miss the interesting topics we used to have here. I will be posting my history of New Coke soon, too.
RaleighCraps
RaleighCraps
  • Threads: 79
December 13th, 2012 at 8:18:29 AM permalink
Quote: Nareed

I'm saying "get over there and join the conversation!"

Surely some of you miss the interesting topics we used to have here. I will be posting my history of New Coke soon, too.

I think you really are missing the point. Many of us were not at all interested in topics away from gambling. I enjoy the site much more, now that the number of off topic threads has been reduced. Am I missing some interesting conversations? Probably, but nothing I can't live without.

I am still on this site after 3 years precisely because it is about gambling, it has daily activity, and the white noise level for the most part is pretty low. And when problems have cropped up, they have been dealt with in time.
Always borrow money from a pessimist; They don't expect to get paid back ! Be yourself and speak your thoughts. Those who matter won't mind, and those that mind, don't matter!
1BB
1BB
  • Threads: 18
December 13th, 2012 at 9:07:41 AM permalink
It's definitely not my thing and with only 118 members and only 73 of those active on DT it looks like I'm not alone. This site is so much better now despite HotBlonde Challenge II still being here. I don't understand it because it seems made to order for the other site. To say the challenge is about gambling is a real stretch in my opinion.

I have a wide variety of interests which I can discuss face to face with people rather than joining a forum. Gambling is one exception which is the reason I joined WOV.
Many people, especially ignorant people, want to punish you for speaking the truth. - Mahatma Ghandi
MrV
MrV
  • Threads: 364
December 13th, 2012 at 9:17:36 AM permalink
Quote: 1BB

This site is so much better now despite HotBlonde Challenge II still being here. I don't understand it because it seems made to order for the other site. To say the challenge is about gambling is a real stretch in my opinion.

There is an obvious gambling theme to it, but there is oh, so much more ...
"What, me worry?"
FinsRule
FinsRule
  • Threads: 128
December 13th, 2012 at 9:19:16 AM permalink
I agree with what everyone, including Nareed have posted. Thanks for posting the link, those who are interested should stop by over there.
RaleighCraps
RaleighCraps
  • Threads: 79
December 13th, 2012 at 10:27:42 AM permalink
Quote: MrV

There is an obvious gambling theme to it, but there is oh, so much more ...

It truly is the proverbial train wreck waiting to happen.
The only reason I follow it now is to see who the next person will be to step over the line and get the smack down.
Had a near miss the other day.
Always borrow money from a pessimist; They don't expect to get paid back ! Be yourself and speak your thoughts. Those who matter won't mind, and those that mind, don't matter!
AcesAndEights
AcesAndEights
  • Threads: 67
December 13th, 2012 at 10:56:10 AM permalink
There is a phenomenon that I feel like has happened, but this is just based on non-scientific anecdotal evidence.

The off-topic posts here got a LOT more action from people who claimed to only be interested in gambling, than the current posts at DT are getting. I think what happened is members who actively wanted to discuss other topics headed over to DT and started posting. The people who didn't actively desire to participate in such discussions simply stayed away. But those same people, when presented with the threads here, couldn't help themselves and read/responded/participated anyway.

The end result is that DT is sparsely populated and something was lost: the gambling-only crowd isn't participating over at DT even though they were participating, somewhat "against their better judgement," when the posts were happening over here.
"So drink gamble eat f***, because one day you will be dust." -ontariodealer
Ibeatyouraces
Ibeatyouraces
  • Threads: 68
December 13th, 2012 at 11:19:05 AM permalink
deleted
DUHHIIIIIIIII HEARD THAT!
jml24
jml24
  • Threads: 2
December 13th, 2012 at 1:04:56 PM permalink
I really like reading some of the off topic posts by members such as pacomartin. I did sign up for the other site but I think it was better to have only one site and allow the off topic posts. People came here for gambling stuff but (as always happens with online forums) other topics came up for discussion. It is almost impossible to have a site about nothing that is successful. There is not a core interest to draw new members.
AcesAndEights
AcesAndEights
December 13th, 2012 at 1:51:49 PM permalink
Quote: Ibeatyouraces

Over here you see it and might then read and respond to it. I have no need nor intention to even go to the other site.

Yes that is exactly it. It's something the Wizard may not have accounted for fully when splitting the two sites out. I wonder if he's seen any decreased traffic to WoV due to there being less off-topic posts, and if that decrease has been balanced out by increased traffic to DT.

I know Bovada has an exclusive advertising agreement on WoV, but I imagine the Wiz was hoping to get enough traffic going to DT to sell some ads. There is one running there, but he admitted that he is charging a painfully small amount for that ad.
MrV
MrV
  • Threads: 364
December 13th, 2012 at 3:43:20 PM permalink
The poor Wiz: "damned if he does, damned if he doesn't."

No matter what he does, people will complain.

Such is life.
"What, me worry?"
AcesAndEights
AcesAndEights
December 13th, 2012 at 4:13:55 PM permalink
Quote: MrV

The poor Wiz: "damned if he does, damned if he doesn't."

No matter what he does, people will complain.

Such is life.

Just to clarify, I'm not complaining. I'm participating over at DT as much as is appropriate, but I don't mind the paring down of topics over here.
MakingBook
MakingBook
  • Threads: 24
December 13th, 2012 at 4:32:18 PM permalink
Actually, I think DT will do really well. Lets give it a year or so and see what happens.

I don't think it will consist of the same people that make WOV a success.
"I am a man devoured by the passion for gambling." --Dostoevsky, 1871
Ayecarumba
Ayecarumba
  • Threads: 236
December 13th, 2012 at 5:32:37 PM permalink
There's gold in them thar hills... check out Fishing With Face. Probably one of the best threads on either site. Almost up there with Doc's "Chip of the Day" here.
Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication - Leonardo da Vinci
Nareed
Nareed
December 16th, 2012 at 7:30:47 AM permalink
Quote: AcesAndEights

It's something the Wizard may not have accounted for fully when splitting the two sites out.

He managed to kill our budding community and very little else.
Buzzard
Buzzard
  • Threads: 90
December 16th, 2012 at 8:53:06 AM permalink
Welcome back, inquiring minds want to know !
Shed not for her the bitter tear Nor give the heart to vain regret Tis but the casket that lies here, The gem that filled it Sparkles yet
1BB
1BB
December 16th, 2012 at 10:00:05 AM permalink
There's a lot out there. I'd be very surprised if DT got even a couple of hundred members. Time will tell.
Many people, especially ignorant people, want to punish you for speaking the truth. - Mahatma Ghandi
1BB
1BB
November 30th, 2014 at 12:39:53 PM permalink
I'm confused. Who said what else is new? I heard that. :-) I just checked out DT and I noticed that the last two blogs, which were posted on Nov. 3rd, both have links to Hustler lingerie. Now I imagine that I would like this free advertised product as much as the next guy but I do have a question. Will I be afforded the same courtesy if I join the site? Could I post a link to, say, banana hammocks?

It's hard to imagine that these links were missed so I'm just wondering what the policy is.
Gandler
Gandler
  • Threads: 35
November 30th, 2014 at 1:16:31 PM permalink
Merge the two sites under WOO as a mothersite, and allow a universal login for all the sites, while still being separate in a content sense. That would undoutbablty boost up DT population (and maybe WOV population). But most people will not take the time to register for an inactive site when there are plenty of offtopic sections in this site.
  • Jump to: