No votes (0%)
No votes (0%)
3 votes (11.53%)

26 members have voted

slyther
slyther
  • Threads: 13
October 18th, 2012 at 10:03:18 AM permalink
I'm curious to see what source people will be watching on Election night and why.

I generally start with NBC because in general I like the way their graphics are presented and I was a big fan of Tim Russert (RIP), I loved it when he would whip out his white board and go thru the electoral math scenarios.

However i caught a few minutes of CNN's post-2nd debate coverage and their graphics are pretty crazy. They had a guy standing at a table with a virtual stack of dollars he was moving back and forth to demonstrate the candidates' proposed spending vs taxes, etc. Then it turns out the table he was standing at was virtual too!

If Romney wins then I might flip to MSNBC to watch Chris Matthews's head explode.
FarFromVegas
FarFromVegas
  • Threads: 7
October 18th, 2012 at 10:17:28 AM permalink
I will be watching my son blow out the candles on his cake and unwrap his presents. The TV will probably end up on MSNBC, though, because I tease my husband about his love of Rachel Maddow. I think it's pure admiration for her brains, but maybe he's looking for a challenge. I'm keeping an eye on him...
Each of us is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts. Preparing for a fight about your bad decision is not as smart as making a good decision.
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
  • Threads: 240
October 18th, 2012 at 10:37:43 AM permalink
I will be watching my computer monitor, working swing-shift. Sadly will be the first one I miss since I started becoming aware in 1980. I would be watcing Fox for the fair an balanced coverage along with their policy of limiting the time unabashed commentators chime in while labeling it as such.
All animals are equal, but some are more equal than others
EvenBob
EvenBob
  • Threads: 441
October 18th, 2012 at 10:40:02 AM permalink
I'll be watching something on cable and check the
news every half hour. Talking heads drive me nuts.
"It's not called gambling if the math is on your side."
Ibeatyouraces
Ibeatyouraces
  • Threads: 68
October 18th, 2012 at 10:44:05 AM permalink
deleted
DUHHIIIIIIIII HEARD THAT!
Nareed
Nareed
  • Threads: 373
October 18th, 2012 at 10:48:12 AM permalink
The Big bang Theory's new season premieres here next Tuesday. New episodes will be all Tuesdays at 8 or 8:30 local time. Alas, that won't cover the whole boring event. But I'm sure I can think of something else.
Donald Trump is a fucking criminal
Paradigm
Paradigm
  • Threads: 42
October 18th, 2012 at 10:54:53 AM permalink
Quote: slyther

However i caught a few minutes of CNN's post-2nd debate coverage and their graphics are pretty crazy. They had a guy standing at a table with a virtual stack of dollars he was moving back and forth to demonstrate the candidates' proposed spending vs taxes, etc. Then it turns out the table he was standing at was virtual too!

I saw that analysis as well, it was pretty cool. I particularly liked the single gold "rich guy" that was then surrounded by 230 "non-rich guys".

Newsflash America: it doesn't matter who gets elected, taxes are going up for everyone. Romney's math doesn't work and Obama's math doesn't work either. They both are going to have to tax "the base" more or the Deficit/National Debt goes up. There isn't enough spending to cut combined with "taxing the wealthy" OR "limiting deductions". Both plans are "Sketchy" but you can't admit that and expect to get elected!
miplet
miplet
  • Threads: 5
October 18th, 2012 at 11:05:00 AM permalink
I'll be watching whatever station has the best local election coverage. We have a few interesting initiatives and referendums on the ballot. And a governor's race.
“Man Babes” #AxelFabulous
ams288
ams288
  • Threads: 22
October 18th, 2012 at 11:10:52 AM permalink
MSNBC to reinforce my liberal views. They can offer me comfort if the night goes poorly.

But I usually end up flipping around because some stations have better result graphics than others and some update the current vote counts more regularly (CNN, if I remember correctly, is always way behind the other stations and they always seem to call the states long after the other channels have already done so).
Ding Dong the Witch is Dead
thecesspit
thecesspit
  • Threads: 53
October 18th, 2012 at 11:23:14 AM permalink
None of the above : BBC's website. Possibly get CBC if there's something major going on.
"Then you can admire the real gambler, who has neither eaten, slept, thought nor lived, he has so smarted under the scourge of his martingale, so suffered on the rack of his desire for a coup at trente-et-quarante" - Honore de Balzac, 1829
slyther
slyther
  • Threads: 13
October 18th, 2012 at 11:34:26 AM permalink
Up here in WA we have some very interesting local races:
- The governor's race is considered one of the tightest in the nation I believe. The Dem's have had the Governor's seat since 1985.
- An initiative to require 2/3 legislature approval to raise taxes (this has been passed before, but it comes up again every 2 years as the legislature can alter initiatives after 2 years)
- An initiative to legalize medical marijuana
- A referendum regarding definition of marriage (was passed be legislature, then called to referendum)
- An initiative to authorize charter schools (has failed in the past)
- A senate joint resolution to allow public universities to invest money in the stock market
- A senate joint resolution to modify the state's debt limit
Keyser
Keyser
  • Threads: 35
October 18th, 2012 at 11:34:37 AM permalink
Fox News. They have the best graphics, talent, and guests. I will pop in and out of CNN and PMSNBC so that I can watch the left cringe as Romney wins and they are dragged back to the real world.
EvenBob
EvenBob
  • Threads: 441
October 18th, 2012 at 11:39:09 AM permalink
Quote: Keyser

Fox News. They have the best graphics, talent, and guests. I will pop in and out of CNN and PMSNBC so that I can watch the left cringe as Romney wins and they are dragged back to the real world.

It will be great when instead of a tingle up his
leg, Chris Matthews feels the warmth of his own
pee running down his leg..
"It's not called gambling if the math is on your side."
ThatDonGuy
ThatDonGuy
  • Threads: 117
October 18th, 2012 at 12:05:20 PM permalink
CNN - which is not surprising, as my TVs are usually left on CNN anyway. I might switch to local stations to see how the statewide ballot propositions are doing, but I usually go to the California Secretary of State website (and the local county website for any local races), as it includes a breakdown by county of how many precincts have reported.

In fact, on my way home to the polling place from work that day (I go to work before they open), I'll probably be listening to the CNN radio simulcast.
FleaStiff
FleaStiff
  • Threads: 265
October 18th, 2012 at 12:50:22 PM permalink
I'll be watching Bubbles LaRue down at the Planetarium and enjoying the election night special on Coronas.
JohnnyQ
JohnnyQ
  • Threads: 262
October 18th, 2012 at 6:11:46 PM permalink
ABC. "Best Coverage"
There's emptiness behind their eyes There's dust in all their hearts They just want to steal us all and take us all apart
vert1276
vert1276
  • Threads: 70
October 22nd, 2012 at 1:02:09 PM permalink
if it looks like Obama is going to win, I will watch CNN....If it looks like Romney is going to win I will watch MSNBC so I can watch them cry
ams288
ams288
  • Threads: 22
November 7th, 2012 at 5:03:40 AM permalink
No tears on MSNBC last night.

Once the call was made for Obama (at 11:15), I switched over to FOX News and watched them descend into madness. Karl Rove's refusal to accept that Ohio had gone blue and the resulting war between the on air talent and the "decision desk" was an early Christmas gift for us liberals.
Ding Dong the Witch is Dead
FleaStiff
FleaStiff
  • Threads: 265
November 7th, 2012 at 6:54:28 AM permalink
I watched a bottle of gin getting more and more empty.
I felt it was a fitting reaction to the empty promises of the various politicians.
Mosca
Mosca
  • Threads: 191
November 7th, 2012 at 7:20:54 AM permalink
I watched Overhaulin' on The Speed Channel.
A falling knife has no handle.
s2dbaker
s2dbaker
  • Threads: 51
November 7th, 2012 at 7:26:47 AM permalink
Quote: ams288

No tears on MSNBC last night.

Once the call was made for Obama (at 11:15), I switched over to FOX News and watched them descend into madness. Karl Rove's refusal to accept that Ohio had gone blue and the resulting war between the on air talent and the "decision desk" was an early Christmas gift for us liberals.

Oh, that was delicious. Espescially when you consider how many millions Karl Rove poured down the drain trying to get Romney (among other losers) elected.
Someday, joor goin' to see the name of Googie Gomez in lights and joor goin' to say to joorself, "Was that her?" and then joor goin' to answer to joorself, "That was her!" But you know somethin' mister? I was always her yuss nobody knows it! - Googie Gomez
FarFromVegas
FarFromVegas
  • Threads: 7
November 7th, 2012 at 7:29:55 AM permalink
I ended up having a late dinner at the nearby Mexican restaurant since that was what the birthday boy wanted after his baseball practice. I have no idea what I was watching since it was in Spanish. I heard the word "pequenitos" and recognized it from the safety warnings at Disney World, though!
Each of us is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts. Preparing for a fight about your bad decision is not as smart as making a good decision.
Boz
Boz
  • Threads: 155
November 7th, 2012 at 7:31:16 AM permalink
And the end of the day, GOPers like me have to accept the country has changed and minoriites control the country when it comes to elections and sadly more of them side with the party of little personal responsibility. Not sour grapes, just an honest view of where we are.
Mission146
Mission146
  • Threads: 142
November 7th, 2012 at 1:15:17 PM permalink
Quote: Boz

And the end of the day, GOPers like me have to accept the country has changed and minoriites control the country when it comes to elections and sadly more of them side with the party of little personal responsibility. Not sour grapes, just an honest view of where we are.

I don't think it's just about the personal responsibility, for instance, Latinos are generally a very hard-working people, as are Indians and people from many other historically hard-working cultures. I think that the main area where Conservatives lost voters is being hard-line on Social Issues.

First of all, gaffes made on the abortion issue directly, and I mean directly cost the Republicans two Senate seats. I think it can also be argued that, even though the candidates had nothing to do with other campaigns/races, that these gaffes also could have influenced close races such as North Dakota and Montana, which should really have easily have went to Republicans. Guilt-by-Assosciation, as it were.

I think there's always going to be a strong case to be made for personal financial responsibility, but unless someone is running for a State Legislative position, or for a Congressional position in a State that is an absolute lock for Conservatives, I think it's just time to drop the divisive social issues of abortion and maybe even gay rights. It's over. The moral landscape of the country is changing faster than Conservatives are adapting to the change, and people are generally more accepting of other peoples' rights to make their own personal choices. We are no longer a strictly Christian country, and even to the extent that we are Religious, Barack Obama carried every major Religious segment with exception to White Protestants. Obama even won the Catholic vote by a slight margin. (50-48)
https://wizardofvegas.com/forum/off-topic/gripes/11182-pet-peeves/120/#post815219
Boz
Boz
  • Threads: 155
November 7th, 2012 at 1:31:32 PM permalink
Quote: Mission146

I don't think it's just about the personal responsibility, for instance, Latinos are generally a very hard-working people, as are Indians and people from many other historically hard-working cultures. I think that the main area where Conservatives lost voters is being hard-line on Social Issues.

First of all, gaffes made on the abortion issue directly, and I mean directly cost the Republicans two Senate seats. I think it can also be argued that, even though the candidates had nothing to do with other campaigns/races, that these gaffes also could have influenced close races such as North Dakota and Montana, which should really have easily have went to Republicans. Guilt-by-Assosciation, as it were.

I think there's always going to be a strong case to be made for personal financial responsibility, but unless someone is running for a State Legislative position, or for a Congressional position in a State that is an absolute lock for Conservatives, I think it's just time to drop the divisive social issues of abortion and maybe even gay rights. It's over. The moral landscape of the country is changing faster than Conservatives are adapting to the change, and people are generally more accepting of other peoples' rights to make their own personal choices. We are no longer a strictly Christian country, and even to the extent that we are Religious, Barack Obama carried every major Religious segment with exception to White Protestants. Obama even won the Catholic vote by a slight margin. (50-48)

I agree on the 2 idiots running for Senate. And I also agree on the Social Issues and something has to change there. But my take on the personal responsibility comes from a strong belief that everyone has the opportunity to make what they can out of their life. Opportunity is there for those who take risks. Nowhere in the world can you open a business or create something and be rewarded with it like you can here. But I still see too many people I call friends unwilling to take those risks, and yet they complain about stagnent pay rates, rising property taxes and prices off goods while unwilling to do anything to change their situation.

Take that 2nd job in the evening and stop complaining. Nobody owes you anything and you get out of life what you put into it. If you are happy where you are, enjoy it. But dont expect me to pay a higher percentage of my income in taxes because I took risks and now am doing better than you.

28% of my income is a lot more than 15% of yours and I get the same protections you do. But I guess taxes and fairness is a totally different issue for another day.
  • Jump to: