MonkeyMonkey
  • Threads: 13
July 31st, 2012 at 7:57:39 PM permalink
So simple it fits on a post-it note...
dwheatley
dwheatley
  • Threads: 25
July 31st, 2012 at 8:08:32 PM permalink
If the kids were clever they would factory reset the wifi router.
Wisdom is the quality that keeps you out of situations where you would otherwise need it
buzzpaff
buzzpaff
  • Threads: 112
July 31st, 2012 at 8:56:57 PM permalink
Make the assumption that parents have wifi knowledge. Probably the kids who set up the network. LOL
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard 
  • Threads: 1493
August 1st, 2012 at 12:02:44 AM permalink
My daughter would just use the neighbor's unsecured wi-fi.
"For with much wisdom comes much sorrow." -- Ecclesiastes 1:18 (NIV)
P90
P90
  • Threads: 12
August 1st, 2012 at 12:28:52 AM permalink
When I was a kid, my parents did something very remotely similar (I mean, not only didn't wi-fi exist, there wasn't even a WWW yet). I loved it, because the workaround was so easy and they could sleep safe and sound never having a clue. Win-win.
Resist ANFO Boston PRISM Stormfront IRA Freedom CIA Obama
Paigowdan
Paigowdan
  • Threads: 115
August 1st, 2012 at 2:40:12 AM permalink
Quote: Wizard

My daughter would just use the neighbor's unsecured wi-fi.

Not if you took her equipment away, Mike. My patrents used to tell me, "You're not tellin' me, Daniel, I'm telling you. Carry your weight to get your due." And my father was a music critic for the New York Times, and my mother a psychoanalyst. And we lived on [New York's] West side, - about as Hush-Puppy Crumb Cake liberal child-coddling as it got.

I paid for college not on their dime, but by spending a few years in the U.S. Army, from basic training at Fort Jackson (South Carolina), and Field Artillery School (Fort Sill, Oklahoma), and going to the City Univeristy of New York, paid for by that. Along with being a waiter, and driving a cab in NYC, and working as a printer in the 80's. And the U.S. Army. Mom came about to close as possible to saying: "I'm not raising a castrate like your father...." ... and my response was, "Shit, Bob and I are twins, he must have busted you out at least one night, Mom...." Table talk in the Lubin household way back when....Oscar Levant didn't have shit on us, West Side and all...

Every cent of my University Degree was paid by my own labor, - and my folks saw TO THAT. ...the degee would have been much less in value if paid for by momma and poppa... B.S. in math/Computer Science. I can do my own gaming reports, but I insist on a "CRM" stamp.
Same with my sister Miriam (Ph.D.), and my brother Robert (Bob), M.A. in music.
Best thing they EVER did for us...

My parents gave me values, - not cash hand-outs.
Beware of all enterprises that require new clothes - Henry David Thoreau. Like Dealers' uniforms - Dan.
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard 
  • Threads: 1493
August 1st, 2012 at 7:01:12 AM permalink
Quote: Paigowdan

Not if you took her equipment away, Mike.

She would say she needs it for school. For example, a paper might need to be typed, or she might need to research something.

Thanks for your story. I had no idea you have a B.S. in math/CS! No disrespect to your parents, but if I can afford to help, I'd prefer my kids devote their time and energy to school and graduating at a young age.
"For with much wisdom comes much sorrow." -- Ecclesiastes 1:18 (NIV)
Paigowdan
Paigowdan
  • Threads: 115
August 1st, 2012 at 8:12:00 AM permalink
Mike,
Yes - I know she needs it [the laptop/Internet access] for school. No question here. But if she is an adult, it does not have to be provided by you or her mommy, if she can make the transition to provide it for herself.

You and I need it for both work and recreation, and she needs it 'for school," - but at college age, there is a sense of self-sufficiency, and there comes a time when the umbilical cord is really broken. High School and College is right around that time.

If your offspring needed to type a paper, she would be at no loss for a keyboard OR internet access from the library, or a friend, or with a laptop or an Apple I-phone that she bought from her own earnings, devices, and workings from her job as a Starbucks barrister or whatever. I do understand.

The trick is to get kids of "the next generation" to see what the world will provide for them of their own accord - if they also provide for themselves and others, - and this does not come from Daddy.

I DO understand the familial and household support. I also understand strength in independence.
Beware of all enterprises that require new clothes - Henry David Thoreau. Like Dealers' uniforms - Dan.
  • Jump to: