Thread Rating:

s2dbaker
s2dbaker
  • Threads: 51
June 28th, 2012 at 7:22:22 AM permalink
So sayeth the SCOTUS.
Someday, joor goin' to see the name of Googie Gomez in lights and joor goin' to say to joorself, "Was that her?" and then joor goin' to answer to joorself, "That was her!" But you know somethin' mister? I was always her yuss nobody knows it! - Googie Gomez
AZDuffman
AZDuffman 
  • Threads: 240
June 28th, 2012 at 7:24:44 AM permalink
Quote: s2dbaker

So sayeth the SCOTUS.

More freedom lost today. Now the government can make you do ANYTHING by saying "it is a tax, and you have to buy it because you might be in the market one day anyways."

Another sad day for the USA.
All animals are equal, but some are more equal than others
Wupper
Wupper
  • Threads: 9
June 28th, 2012 at 7:27:49 AM permalink
Quote: AZDuffman

Now the government can make you do ANYTHING by saying "it is a tax, and you have to buy it because you might be in the market one day anyways."

Obama promised not to raise taxes on anyone making less than $250k p/year. Politicians never lie.......right?
s2dbaker
s2dbaker
June 28th, 2012 at 7:31:33 AM permalink

More freedom lost today...
Another sad day for the USA.

You may self-deport yourself if this country isn't free enough for you. BTW, the individual mandate is completely unenforcible because of the conscientious objector clause. But gnash your teeth and wail all you want as long as I can help you pack up your stuff.
Someday, joor goin' to see the name of Googie Gomez in lights and joor goin' to say to joorself, "Was that her?" and then joor goin' to answer to joorself, "That was her!" But you know somethin' mister? I was always her yuss nobody knows it! - Googie Gomez
AZDuffman
AZDuffman 
June 28th, 2012 at 7:35:40 AM permalink

You may self-deport yourself if this country isn't free enough for you. BTW, the individual mandate is completely unenforcible because of the conscientious objector clause. But gnash your teeth and wail all you want as long as I can help you pack up your stuff.

So is it a mandate or not? Come on, give me a break. If you do not pay the IRS will see to that you cannot have any assets in your name, ever.

I'd go somewhere else but 99% of them are worse if for no other reason than the socialized medicine.
s2dbaker
s2dbaker
June 28th, 2012 at 7:38:55 AM permalink

So is it a mandate or not? Come on, give me a break. If you do not pay the IRS will see to that you cannot have any assets in your name, ever.

I'd go somewhere else but 99% of them are worse if for no other reason than the socialized medicine.

There's always Somalia. Have a safe move.
AZDuffman
AZDuffman 
June 28th, 2012 at 7:42:35 AM permalink

There's always Somalia. Have a safe move.

I think I will stay and join the coming Revolution. All we have to do is go back to the Constitution as it was before 1900 and we are all set!
rxwine
rxwine
  • Threads: 212
June 28th, 2012 at 7:49:16 AM permalink

I think I will stay and join the coming Revolution. All we have to do is go back to the Constitution as it was before 1900 and we are all set!

You and Scalia into the time machine.

I think John Roberts just got his name crossed off conservative cocktail party list, being the swing vote and all. I think they thought it would be Kennedy. I think, anyway.
There's no secret. Just know what you're talking about before you open your mouth.
s2dbaker
s2dbaker
June 28th, 2012 at 7:52:32 AM permalink
Commie News Network

There's your liberal bias at work :p
Flynn
Flynn
  • Threads: 12
June 28th, 2012 at 8:02:59 AM permalink
Whats the point? The whole money system in the USA is unconstitutional and I don't see the republicans making a fuss about that. In fact nobody besides some individuals make a fuss about being enslaved to a privately owned central bank. But something that is for the good of all people is ruled as something bad.

I don't see the logic...
My favorite bet: Double Down!
AZDuffman
AZDuffman 
June 28th, 2012 at 8:12:10 AM permalink
Quote: rxwine

You and Scalia into the time machine.

I think John Roberts just got his name crossed off conservative cocktail party list, being the swing vote and all. I think they thought it would be Kennedy. I think, anyway.

The Constitution is not a "time machine" it is meant to be read as it was intended when it was written, just like any contract you write. Other than some bad ammendments (direct election of Senators and allowing an income tax the main ones) what we want is the correct interpertation of what the Constitution means, not this "it is a living, breathing doccument" crapola.

NOTHING in the Constitution gives the government power to make me buy a product from a private party. Via the 10th Ammendment that power is reserved to ME.

Roberts did dissapoint. I thought he was supposed to be a strict constructionalist. People forget that is the point. Obama himself thinks the SCOTUS is supposed to "fight for the little guy" instead of be impartial and Constitutional.
s2dbaker
s2dbaker
June 28th, 2012 at 8:21:02 AM permalink
The arbiters of what is constitutional disagree with AZDuffman and since they are the final arbiters of what is or is not constitutional, I would tend to believe them over AZDuffman.
Ibeatyouraces
Ibeatyouraces
  • Threads: 68
June 28th, 2012 at 8:21:33 AM permalink
deleted
DUHHIIIIIIIII HEARD THAT!
AZDuffman
AZDuffman 
June 28th, 2012 at 8:25:20 AM permalink

The arbiters of what is constitutional disagree with AZDuffman and since they are the final arbiters of what is or is not constitutional, I would tend to believe them over AZDuffman.

So you agree Bush v Gore was a Constitutional decision!
AZDuffman
AZDuffman 
June 28th, 2012 at 8:28:49 AM permalink
Quote: Ibeatyouraces

IMO the Constitution is nothing more than a worthless piece of paper. The fact that it can be amended (another word for changed) proves it.

Yeah, a worthless piece of paper that built the oldest continuing republic government and codified freedom for the first time.

The only piece of paper that millions of people peldge their life to defend! In England if you join the army you pledge to defend he Queen, in the USA you pledge to defend what you call a worthless piece of paper.

BTW: The ammendment process is what makes it work. Had we not had this process you would not have the right to free speech, to protect yourself with a gun, or to a fair trial. But you might possibly still have the right to own slaves.
rdw4potus
rdw4potus
  • Threads: 80
June 28th, 2012 at 8:34:26 AM permalink

Sure. But the deciding votes were cast by a guy whose wife's employment hung in the balance (Thomas) and a guy who was buddies with Dick Cheney (Scalia). In any other court in any other jurisdiction in the USA, they'd have been forced to recuse themselves. But, no such mechanism of forced propriety is thrust upon the supreme court...
"So as the clock ticked and the day passed, opportunity met preparation, and luck happened." - Maurice Clarett
Ibeatyouraces
Ibeatyouraces
  • Threads: 68
June 28th, 2012 at 8:35:17 AM permalink
deleted
DUHHIIIIIIIII HEARD THAT!
rxwine
rxwine
June 28th, 2012 at 8:41:26 AM permalink

. Had we not had this process you would not have the right to free speech, to protect yourself with a gun, .

yeah, in the 1970s, the NRA started specifically arguing for gun rights as a platform instead gun rights as part of a well-ordered militia. And it worked.

They changed something so obvious, to quote justice Warren Burger the new interpretation of the 2nd Amendment was, "one of the greatest pieces of fraud" on the American public by special interest groups.
There's no secret. Just know what you're talking about before you open your mouth.
FinsRule
FinsRule
  • Threads: 128
June 28th, 2012 at 8:43:07 AM permalink

Statement #1: The Constitution is not a "time machine" it is meant to be read as it was intended when it was written.

Statement #2: BTW: The ammendment process is what makes it work.

So it's meant to be read as it was intended, but amending it (i.e. changing the words) is what makes it work?
s2dbaker
s2dbaker
June 28th, 2012 at 8:44:26 AM permalink

I agree that the SCOTUS made a decision but I do not recall them saying that anything was or was not constitutional.
avargov
avargov
  • Threads: 16
June 28th, 2012 at 8:58:40 AM permalink
Hold up a second...I am not as smart or sophisticated as you guys, but, wasn't this passed by the legislative branch, signed into law by the executive branch, and found to be constitutional by the judicial branch? I thought this is how it is supposed to work. At least that is what I though we I defended the constitution.

Now, disagreeing with the outcome is a different matter...
Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, first make sure that you are not, in fact, just surrounded by assholes." ~ William Gibson
avargov
avargov
June 28th, 2012 at 8:58:41 AM permalink
Sorry...double post...cursed Obamaphone
Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, first make sure that you are not, in fact, just surrounded by assholes." ~ William Gibson
rxwine
rxwine
June 28th, 2012 at 9:02:55 AM permalink
Quote: avargov

Sorry...double post...cursed Obamaphone

that's worth a LOL!
avargov
avargov
June 28th, 2012 at 9:10:19 AM permalink
;-)..
AZDuffman
AZDuffman 
June 28th, 2012 at 9:14:42 AM permalink
Quote: FinsRule

So it's meant to be read as it was intended, but amending it (i.e. changing the words) is what makes it work?

It is not ammended easily. But that is what makes it work. POTUS at first ran as an individual. Had it been as written then when JFK was shot Nixon would have taken over. Well, that one would have been for the better. But lets go on. Slavery could not be banned at the passing, too political. Eventually it was. No plans for what to do if PORTU and VPOTUS taken out at once, that was added in the 1960s when it looked like it could happen. POTUS limited to two terms after FDR r, even efused to leave the job even after he extended the Great Depression yet had a great machine that would have been able to keep him there even if not for WWII.

It is simple. When things become outdated it can be changed, but only by great effort.

The alternative is to have to tear it up and start over like many parts of the world. US Constitution is world's oldest. I asked a guy giving a lecture what was second oldest and he admitted he had no clue most constitutions do not last a generation.
Pokeraddict
Pokeraddict
  • Threads: 36
June 28th, 2012 at 9:15:18 AM permalink
Supreme Court says they can force you to buy insurance by calling it a tax but they threw out the Stolen Valor law on the same day so now you can impersonate a war hero for financial gain and that is OK. This country is totally <not sure I can write four letter word I am thinking here>ed.
Gabes22
Gabes22
  • Threads: 15
June 28th, 2012 at 9:15:26 AM permalink
With the court ruling this as a tax, does this mean that "No American making less than 250K will get a tax increase" is Obama's "No new taxes" moment?
A flute with no holes is not a flute, a donut with no holes is a danish
AZDuffman
AZDuffman 
June 28th, 2012 at 9:19:03 AM permalink
Quote: Gabes22

With the court ruling this as a tax, does this mean that "No American making less than 250K will get a tax increase" is Obama's "No new taxes" moment?

With the lamestream media we have? Give me a break. MSNBC just got caught doctoring a tape of Romney to make it look like he didn't know how to order a sandwich. You will see fair and balanced coverage of that on FNC, the others will have segments calling the Tea Party "racist" for being against Obamacare.
rdw4potus
rdw4potus
June 28th, 2012 at 9:19:30 AM permalink
didn't they very specifically have to call it a penalty and not a tax to make it clear that the injunction issues weren't in play (you can't sue over a tax until you've paid it...).
"So as the clock ticked and the day passed, opportunity met preparation, and luck happened." - Maurice Clarett
slyther
slyther
  • Threads: 13
June 28th, 2012 at 9:26:15 AM permalink
I am really surprised by the decision, as I thought the individual mandate would be thrown out easily. I plan to read the opinion. I would think this will help fire up the right for November.
98Clubs
98Clubs
  • Threads: 52
June 28th, 2012 at 9:40:57 AM permalink
Whats all this Constitutional crap all about... ObamaCare will be repealed.
Some people need to reimagine their thinking.
EvenBob
EvenBob
  • Threads: 441
June 28th, 2012 at 9:50:59 AM permalink
Best thing that could have happened. Obama and his minions
just said a collective 'Oh shit.'

Now the election is all about Obamacare and the the economy.
Obama was all geared up to run against the boogyman, the
wascally Supreme Court. Now thats out the window, he's stuck
for the next 4 months defending this crappy health care plan
to a country that doesn't want it.

Uh oh...
"It's not called gambling if the math is on your side."
QuadDeuces
QuadDeuces
  • Threads: 25
June 28th, 2012 at 9:59:14 AM permalink
Quote: slyther

I am really surprised by the decision, as I thought the individual mandate would be thrown out easily. I plan to read the opinion. I would think this will help fire up the right for November.

Don't waste your time. Read the dissent instead.
rdw4potus
rdw4potus
June 28th, 2012 at 10:06:44 AM permalink
Quote: EvenBob

Best thing that could have happened. Obama and his minions
just said a collective 'Oh shit.'

Now the election is all about Obamacare and the the economy.
Obama was all geared up to run against the boogyman, the
wascally Supreme Court. Now thats out the window, he's stuck
for the next 4 months defending this crappy health care plan
to a country that doesn't want it.

Uh oh...

You think? The right was already 100% fired up. all this does is also fire up the left. Repeal goes out the window if the GOP can't flip the senate...
EvenBob
EvenBob
June 28th, 2012 at 10:09:25 AM permalink
Quote: rdw4potus

You think? The right was already 100% fired up. .

Not like they are now. Especially when they start realizing
that the more money you make the more you have to pay
for the same crappy care everybody else will get. You ain't
SEEN fired up yet.
FinsRule
FinsRule
June 28th, 2012 at 10:17:08 AM permalink
I did the calculator thing on the Washington Post and it said that pretty much everything is staying the same. What's the big deal?
Nareed
Nareed
  • Threads: 373
June 28th, 2012 at 10:29:45 AM permalink
<sigh>

Well, there's time to correct this error before we're forced to write America's obituary.

On the other hand, this looks like a good time to invest in hospitals in Mexican border cities. Also in places like Cancun and Cabo.
Donald Trump is a fucking criminal
mrjjj
mrjjj
  • Threads: 75
June 28th, 2012 at 10:41:33 AM permalink
At first I was pissed. Now, not so much.

IMO, this only HELPS Romney. Its a great day to be conservative, trust me.

The best thing that could of happened to the libs today is that it would be struck down. Lets see if this BS is still around in 2013.

Ken
SOOPOO
SOOPOO
  • Threads: 122
June 28th, 2012 at 10:45:25 AM permalink
I think this is when we need the requisite Pacomartin Senate map. How likely is it that the Senate flips to Republican, or 50-50 with a Romney win?

I think that the presidential election will be seen as a referendum on Obamacare. If Obama wins it will be the law of the land with the needed teeth to enforce it. It will be hilarious watching every few months the shenanigans of raising the debt ceiling votes......
weaselman
weaselman
  • Threads: 20
June 28th, 2012 at 10:48:02 AM permalink

US Constitution is world's oldest. I asked a guy giving a lecture what was second oldest and he admitted he had no clue most constitutions do not last a generation.

Actually, second oldest is the US Constitution. The oldest one is of the Republic of San Marino. It dates back to 1600.
"When two people always agree one of them is unnecessary"
AZDuffman
AZDuffman 
June 28th, 2012 at 10:52:24 AM permalink
Quote: weaselman

Actually, second oldest is the US Constitution. The oldest one is of the Republic of San Marino. It dates back to 1600.

I would have to check that out before I can comment. And check with the guy who gave the seminar. Just to ask, has San Marino's constitution been in continuous force or might it have been suspended for some amount of time? Kind of curious.
thecesspit
thecesspit
  • Threads: 53
June 28th, 2012 at 10:56:19 AM permalink
Wikipedia : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Constitution_of_San_Marino

No, I wouldn't have known without looking it up...
"Then you can admire the real gambler, who has neither eaten, slept, thought nor lived, he has so smarted under the scourge of his martingale, so suffered on the rack of his desire for a coup at trente-et-quarante" - Honore de Balzac, 1829
EvenBob
EvenBob
June 28th, 2012 at 10:57:49 AM permalink
The Court just raised everybodies income tax to pay
for this abomination. Anybody remember how careful
Obama was in 2009 NOT to call this a tax? People
hate taxes, they hate them with a passion.

Remember what sunk Bush Sr's boat in 1990? He
promised no new taxes and then raised taxes. Obama
said no no no, this isn't a tax. And now it is. Thats
all people need to hear.
AZDuffman
AZDuffman 
June 28th, 2012 at 11:04:22 AM permalink
Quote: SOOPOO

I think this is when we need the requisite Pacomartin Senate map. How likely is it that the Senate flips to Republican, or 50-50 with a Romney win?

I think that the presidential election will be seen as a referendum on Obamacare. If Obama wins it will be the law of the land with the needed teeth to enforce it. It will be hilarious watching every few months the shenanigans of raising the debt ceiling votes......

Dick Morris has been talking it for some time. Democrats are defending 2Xs as many seats, an unusual thing Dems have more retirements in red areas than GOP has in blue, Snowe being pretty much the only one of the later. SCOTUS just added to the GOP "energy" surplus, Tea Party will get more public again having shifted from rallies to more running-and-boosting good candidates.

Obama will pull his "Animal Farm" act of saying, "Jones will come back and take your healthcare!" but he is defending a very unpopular law. It is too late to flip opinion, and the base there is smaller than the base against.

What also did happen is we will have a nationalized, palimentalized, election with it being all on party lines. Personality is not going to matter nearly as much.

New jobless claims are headed back near the 400K magic-level, and another revision up from last week this week. (If you do that 63 of 64 weeks in a row is it time the stat guy gets fired?) Look for the job number to fall in coming months. This all bodes against dems.
EvenBob
EvenBob
June 28th, 2012 at 11:14:17 AM permalink
What was behind the massive Dem loss in 2010? Obamacare and the economy.

What will be behind the massive Dem loss in 2012? Take a guess.

Today was a good day. I couldn't be happier. Somebody in the press
just said 'the sleeping giant has just woke up again.' And thats never
a good thing for an incumbent.
mrjjj
mrjjj
  • Threads: 75
June 28th, 2012 at 11:14:34 AM permalink

The Court just raised everybodies income tax to pay
for this abomination. Anybody remember how careful
Obama was in 2009 NOT to call this a tax? People
hate taxes, they hate them with a passion.

Remember what sunk Bush Sr's boat in 1990? He
promised no new taxes and then raised taxes. Obama
said no no no, this isn't a tax. And now it is. Thats
all people need to hear.

What looks like a victory for them is quite the opposite. Odd as it sounds, this is a great day.

Ken
AZDuffman
AZDuffman 
June 28th, 2012 at 11:20:27 AM permalink

What was behind the massive Dem loss in 2010? Obamacare and the economy.

What will be behind the massive Dem loss in 2012? Take a guess.

Today was a good day. I couldn't be happier. Somebody in the press
just said 'the sleeping giant has just woke up again.' And thats never
a good thing for an incumbent.

Perhaps Mitt Romney was granted one wish and said, "may the wishes of my enemy come true!"
FinsRule
FinsRule
June 28th, 2012 at 11:29:38 AM permalink
So income taxes were raised today?
s2dbaker
s2dbaker
June 28th, 2012 at 11:41:13 AM permalink
Quote: FinsRule

So income taxes were raised today?

That's what Sarah Palin thinks and we all know that she's a Super Genius.

Edit: I refudiate that remark!!
rdw4potus
rdw4potus
June 28th, 2012 at 12:14:04 PM permalink
Quote: SOOPOO

it's about 55% to stay in the dems hands, 45% to flip. Depends a lot on who Angus King will caucus with.
  • Jump to: