1 vote (14.28%)
No votes (0%)
6 votes (85.71%)

7 members have voted

MonkeyMonkey
MonkeyMonkey
  • Threads: 13
June 22nd, 2012 at 3:50:54 PM permalink
It bothers me (probably more than it should) when I go to public places like restaurants or the doctors office or to get a haircut and there's a TV on. I understand in some places it's there to distract unruly children (and therein lies another rant...) but in a lot of places it's just an annoying nuisance (at least to me).

My feeling, especially in restaurants, is that why did you go out with friends or family just to sit there slack-jawed, ignoring your companions if you really just wanted to watch TV?

So, I found this clever device that lets me turn off almost every TV I encounter. If you hate TV's in public places I'd encourage you to check out this link: TV-B-gone remote. Best $20 I ever spent.

Edit: I should probably add that I'm in no way affiliated with the folks who sell this awesome gadget, I just think it rocks. And I would never use it to kill a TV in place where people go specifically to watch TV, like a sports bar while the "big game" is on.
aceofspades
aceofspades
  • Threads: 366
June 22nd, 2012 at 3:57:15 PM permalink
Quote: MonkeyMonkey

It bothers me (probably more than it should) when I go to public places like restaurants or the doctors office or to get a haircut and there's a TV on. I understand in some places it's there to distract unruly children (and therein lies another rant...) but in a lot of places it's just an annoying nuisance (at least to me).

My feeling, especially in restaurants, is that why did you go out with friends or family just to sit there slack-jawed, ignoring your companions if you really just wanted to watch TV?

So, I found this clever device that lets me turn off almost every TV I encounter. If you hate TV's in public places I'd encourage you to check out this link: TV-B-gone remote. Best $20 I ever spent.

Edit: I should probably add that I'm in no way affiliated with the folks who sell this awesome gadget, I just think it rocks. And I would never use it to kill a TV in place where people go specifically to watch TV, like a sports bar while the "big game" is on.

only1choice
only1choice
  • Threads: 59
June 22nd, 2012 at 4:03:25 PM permalink
Can this be used to mute some of the members?
IF YOU PLAY "PLAY TO WIN"
MonkeyMonkey
MonkeyMonkey
June 22nd, 2012 at 4:51:44 PM permalink
Quote: aceofspades

I thought it might be a nice diversion, it's not about politics, religion, or homosexuality. :)
MonkeyMonkey
MonkeyMonkey
June 22nd, 2012 at 4:52:33 PM permalink
Quote: only1choice

Can this be used to mute some of the members?

I think we already have an ignore feature for that, at least on the board. If you meet up with them in real life you're on your own.
aceofspades
aceofspades
  • Threads: 366
June 22nd, 2012 at 4:53:43 PM permalink
Quote: MonkeyMonkey

I thought it might be a nice diversion, it's not about politics, religion, or homosexuality. :)

I meant in real life if the owner of the tv finds out you are doing it
MonkeyMonkey
MonkeyMonkey
June 22nd, 2012 at 4:59:44 PM permalink

I meant in real life if the owner of the tv finds out you are doing it

Hmmm... I suppose there's some potential for that, but look at the device, it's small, discreet, and looks like a car alarm remote. I've never even come close to being caught doing it. Most employees of the places I've used it don't even notice the TV's are off. It's usually only when a customer asks about the TV that they notice and turn it back on.
Tiltpoul
Tiltpoul
  • Threads: 32
June 23rd, 2012 at 4:49:12 AM permalink
I work for a nice retail establishment. In some of our men's departments, many of our stores used to have TV's, with the idea that the guy could come upstairs and watch while the wife/mistress shops around. It was supposed to be on news channels during the day and sporting events on nights and weekends.

Instead of the customer's coming to watch, the associates would stand around all day and watch TV. This was a huge distraction to customer service and totally against the reason for having them. Now they've quit installing the TVs and got rid of all the ones that they could easily get rid of (some are built-in fixtures that require a bit more remodeling).

We still have music videos that play in the Juniors area, but that's completely different, as nobody watches music videos on an hour loop all day.
"One out of every four people are [morons]"- Kyle, South Park
slyther
slyther
June 23rd, 2012 at 8:46:03 AM permalink
If I'm at a bar, I want a game on.
  • Jump to: