5 votes (20.83%)
16 votes (66.66%)
3 votes (12.5%)

24 members have voted

P90
P90
  • Threads: 12
June 14th, 2012 at 8:03:49 AM permalink
Offshoot from the thread "Are gay people born that way or is it simply a lifestyle choice?"
It has been questioned if the thread is really about that or about the wrongness of homosexuality, so let's see your positions on the issue.

Clarification: "Wrong" in this instance means morally wrong.
Resist ANFO Boston PRISM Stormfront IRA Freedom CIA Obama
Ibeatyouraces
Ibeatyouraces
  • Threads: 68
June 14th, 2012 at 8:07:33 AM permalink
deleted
DUHHIIIIIIIII HEARD THAT!
FinsRule
FinsRule
  • Threads: 128
June 14th, 2012 at 8:10:39 AM permalink
This question needs more clarification for it to make sense. In order to have the human race survive, we need heterosexuals. And species are designed to want to have their species carry on. So in that sense, it's wrong.

But in any other sense "wrong" doesn't really make sense, so this question doesn't really make sense.
weaselman
weaselman
  • Threads: 20
June 14th, 2012 at 8:11:18 AM permalink
That depends on what you mean by "wrong". I see nothing wrong with someone being gay.
I would not want my son to be one however. Why? Well ... Aside from wanting to have grandchildren ... I guess, it's the same reason I don't want him to sleep with his sister. There is nothing "wrong" with it logically, it does not hurt anyone, it just does not feel right. I would not dishonor him or trow him out of the house if that happened ... I would just prefer that it does not.

So, in a way, there is nothing wrong with it, just like with incest between consenting adults, without a chance of producing offspring. But in other ways, it simply does not feel right.
"When two people always agree one of them is unnecessary"
P90
P90
  • Threads: 12
June 14th, 2012 at 8:16:41 AM permalink
In this case, I suppose "wrong" means, primarily, morally wrong. Wrong as in stealing, wrong as in sympathizing with communists/terrorists/boogeymen, wrong as in counting cards in Paigowdan's book.
Resist ANFO Boston PRISM Stormfront IRA Freedom CIA Obama
Nareed
Nareed
  • Threads: 373
June 14th, 2012 at 8:20:53 AM permalink
Quote: FinsRule

This question needs more clarification for it to make sense. In order to have the human race survive, we need heterosexuals. And species are designed to want to have their species carry on. So in that sense, it's wrong.

1) There is no instance of any human group made up of 100% homosexuals. So why even bring it up?

2) Even if everyone were homosexual, reproduction woudl go on by artificial means. So why even bring it up?
Donald Trump is a fucking criminal
Ibeatyouraces
Ibeatyouraces
  • Threads: 68
June 14th, 2012 at 8:22:16 AM permalink
deleted
DUHHIIIIIIIII HEARD THAT!
WongBo
WongBo
  • Threads: 62
June 14th, 2012 at 8:25:03 AM permalink
not natural you say?

A 1999 review by researcher Bruce Bagemihl
shows that homosexual behavior has been observed in close to 1,500 species,
ranging from primates to gut worms, and is well documented for 500 of them.

list of animals displaying homosexual behavior
In a bet, there is a fool and a thief. - Proverb.
FinsRule
FinsRule
June 14th, 2012 at 8:54:11 AM permalink
Quote: Nareed

1) There is no instance of any human group made up of 100% homosexuals. So why even bring it up?

2) Even if everyone were homosexual, reproduction woudl go on by artificial means. So why even bring it up?

1) A lot of things are brought up in this forum that are hypothetical. Why not bring something up?

2) I'm not so sure reproduction would go on by artificial means. Or at least not at the levels it is at now. Leading to a decline in population.
mrjjj
mrjjj
  • Threads: 75
June 14th, 2012 at 9:05:16 AM permalink
Ask Ken a question but then dont be upset when Ken answers.

Yes, I think it is 'wrong' (I have no problem with that word BTW) to be gay, in my view.

Ken
WongBo
WongBo
June 14th, 2012 at 9:06:22 AM permalink
and i think it is wrong to live in wisconsin, in my view.
mrjjj
mrjjj
June 14th, 2012 at 9:09:01 AM permalink
Quote: WongBo

and i think it is wrong to live in wisconsin, in my view.

I have zero problem with your view. I respect it 100%.

Ken
Keyser
Keyser
  • Threads: 35
June 14th, 2012 at 9:13:37 AM permalink
Wow, If I were to post a thread or comment like Wong Bo's then I'd be banned. Wong Bo clearly gets preferential treatment from this boards owner and administrators because he's gay.
WongBo
WongBo
June 14th, 2012 at 9:14:40 AM permalink
which comment are you referring to? i have not violated the terms of the forum
Juyemura
Juyemura
  • Threads: 39
June 14th, 2012 at 9:15:08 AM permalink
This thread makes me think of the song, "If You Were Gay" from the musical Avenue Q. You should look it up if you are bored.
Lottery:  A tax on people who are bad at math.
Keyser
Keyser
June 14th, 2012 at 9:18:10 AM permalink
Wong Bo,

You just deleted some of them. But still, it's obvious the admins give you preferential treatment because you're gay.

For example, if I would have started the thread that you just have started, "Uneducated Opining: Is it Genetic or a Lifestyle Choice" then I would have likely been banned for another 14 to 21 days.
kewlj
kewlj
  • Threads: 216
June 14th, 2012 at 9:19:18 AM permalink
It doesn't feel wrong to me. It feels very right! :) In a world filled with so much hate, in which many of the world's problems stem from hate, what is so wrong about two people loving one another whatever their sex, race, nationality is. If you are talking about that segment of the gay population that visits bathhouses and cruising spots and sleeps around with someone new each night (anonymous sex), well then yes, that behavior is out of the norm. Just as single straight people that engage in similar behavior (well maybe not bathhouses) but what about the whole 'swingers' thing that some straight couple engage in. ?? But if you are talking about two same sex people in a loving, caring relationship, I don't see anything wrong with it. My opinion is biased though as I am involved with a partner of the same sex who I have know for a long time and care about very deeply.

It's kind of funny, I often talk about how I wish I had been born at an earlier time as I would have loved to have been around during the 60's. 70's and 80's ( I was around in the 80's but as an infant/child) to see and experience the older Vegas of yesterday. I also dislike technology and where we are headed in that realm. But as far as being a gay man, I'll take today's world, were I am free to have same sex relationship more openly that decades past. And I suspect as time goes on it will only become more 'normal,' as more and more people see and know gay couple and families and find out that they are not so different than themselves. Same concerns, fears and arguments (ok, maybe not the toilet seat argument...lol). As in most cases hate stems from fear when you encounter something or someone different than yourself and with familiarity that hate will lessen.
mrjjj
mrjjj
June 14th, 2012 at 9:23:12 AM permalink
Quote: Keyser

Wong Bo,

You just deleted some of them. But still, it's obvious the admins give you preferential treatment because you're gay.

For example, if I would have started the thread that you just started, "Uneducated Opining: Is it Genetic or a Lifestyle Choice" then I would have likely been banned for another 14 to 21 days.

Yeah, I do agree with Keyser on this one. Myself included, it would be a ban.

Ken
WongBo
WongBo
June 14th, 2012 at 9:30:53 AM permalink
well, to me the original post about homosexuality was offensive.
i did not scream and cry that a ban was in order.
i do not think that posing the question about uneducated opining is an attack
or merits any attention from the moderator whatsoever.
it is not an attack to hold the opinion that some of the opinions were uneducated,
mainly because they were.
unless you guys want to list your credentials that would refute that contention,
i think that your argument simply does not stand up to scrutiny.
i did not mention any names nor did i attack anyone in particular or in general.
Keyser
Keyser
June 14th, 2012 at 9:34:45 AM permalink
Wong Bo,

Your standing with the board owner and admins clearly gives you preferential treatment. If we were to post a poll, then others would agree. The problem is such a poll would not be allowed.
WongBo
WongBo
June 14th, 2012 at 9:37:16 AM permalink
i do not have any standing with the owner.
i have never met him.
i have only been posting on this board for a few moths.
i do not request nor expect preferential treatment from anyone.
the truth of the matter is,
the thread and poll are not in violation of any terms of the forum.
Keyser
Keyser
June 14th, 2012 at 9:39:02 AM permalink
Then why don't you start a poll and let people vote on the subject?
texasplumr
texasplumr
  • Threads: 13
June 14th, 2012 at 10:14:03 AM permalink
Like I stated in the other poll, I have no problem with homosexuals. It's not my cup of tea but that doesn't mean it's wrong IMO.
Stupid is a choice
avargov
avargov
  • Threads: 16
June 14th, 2012 at 10:19:31 AM permalink
I couldn't care less who is "gay" and who is not. Doesn't affect me in the least. I am concerned about all this talk about "credentials". Who has the "credentials" to talk about being gay. Do I have those credentials since I was an IT director at a division of a Dow component company? Perhaps I do, since our art department was filled with openly gay men? I worked with and around them everyday. Does that give me an some special insight? Probably not, since I would venture to guess that each of those men has different "reason" for following a gay lifestyle. Whether they were born with it or chose to do so, what does it matter?

However, I am starting to thnk I should have kept my self-ban implemented. Since my return, I have seen several cases of people getting banned, and member calling for a ban. It seems to be getting out of hand. I guess my opinion is....who cares!!! Thicken your skin!!! I have been around forums for a number of years, and I have never been offended by ANYTHING that another member has written. When did we get so "touchy" as a society, and scared to step on a toe, or find the need to run and tell the proctor when someone says (types) something we don't like?

If you don't like the topic of a thread, don't read it! If you do, and are offended (for some reason), punch a pillow and move on. Sometimes I feel like we are on the playground in grammar school.

Ok....back to my cave now....have a great day!
Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, first make sure that you are not, in fact, just surrounded by assholes." ~ William Gibson
FinsRule
FinsRule
June 14th, 2012 at 10:20:49 AM permalink
Thanks avargov. Maybe people will listen to you when you say it. They don't listen to me...
mrjjj
mrjjj
June 14th, 2012 at 10:23:25 AM permalink
I dont even know what I can or can not post. Anyways, the issue with threads like this (and religion etc.), because its agenda based, some of the posters (and author) attempt to make the 'non-believers' feel some sort of GUILT or worse, not post because their view is in the minority.

Myself of course, I could careless. If I answer POLITELY but dont agree with so-n-so, there should not be problems.

Ken
WongBo
WongBo
June 14th, 2012 at 10:23:31 AM permalink
i do not think anyone should ever be banned for anything.
but i also think i have the right to ask what other people think
of some of the uneducated opinions that were expressed.
like i said before, i think we should all just stick to topics related to gambling.
s2dbaker
s2dbaker
  • Threads: 51
June 14th, 2012 at 10:26:16 AM permalink
Now I'm having second thoughts about starting a thread asking what your favorite Broadway musical is.
Someday, joor goin' to see the name of Googie Gomez in lights and joor goin' to say to joorself, "Was that her?" and then joor goin' to answer to joorself, "That was her!" But you know somethin' mister? I was always her yuss nobody knows it! - Googie Gomez
mrjjj
mrjjj
June 14th, 2012 at 10:27:29 AM permalink
Quote: avargov

I couldn't care less who is "gay" and who is not. Doesn't affect me in the least. I am concerned about all this talk about "credentials". Who has the "credentials" to talk about being gay. Do I have those credentials since I was an IT director at a division of a Dow component company? Perhaps I do, since our art department was filled with openly gay men? I worked with and around them everyday. Does that give me an some special insight? Probably not, since I would venture to guess that each of those men has different "reason" for following a gay lifestyle. Whether they were born with it or chose to do so, what does it matter?

However, I am starting to thnk I should have kept my self-ban implemented. Since my return, I have seen several cases of people getting banned, and member calling for a ban. It seems to be getting out of hand. I guess my opinion is....who cares!!! Thicken your skin!!! I have been around forums for a number of years, and I have never been offended by ANYTHING that another member has written. When did we get so "touchy" as a society, and scared to step on a toe, or find the need to run and tell the proctor when someone says (types) something we don't like?

If you don't like the topic of a thread, don't read it! If you do, and are offended (for some reason), punch a pillow and move on. Sometimes I feel like we are on the playground in grammar school.

Ok....back to my cave now....have a great day!

"Doesn't affect me in the least" >>> I have always had an issue with this statement. Ok, analogy time. Say your neighbor goes around spray painting all over garages, you do not own a garage.

So because "it doesn't affect you", that makes it alright? I could give 20 analogies if you wish.

Ken
TIMSPEED
TIMSPEED
  • Threads: 89
June 14th, 2012 at 10:37:59 AM permalink
I think it's wrong to be rich...but I also think it's wrong to be poor...
Gambling calls to me...like this ~> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Nap37mNSmQ
avargov
avargov
  • Threads: 16
June 14th, 2012 at 10:39:35 AM permalink
Quote: mrjjj

"Doesn't affect me in the least" >>> I have always had an issue with this statement. Ok, analogy time. Say your neighbor goes around spray painting all over garages, you do not own a garage.

So because "it doesn't affect you", that makes it alright? I could give 20 analogies if you wish.

Ken

And when he spray painted my garage, we would "handle" the issue at that time. Ken, I didn't say that it made it alright. What I said is I don't care. I could list any number of things that I personally do not agree with, but I don't care that it happens. An example would be my effective tax rate. I personally want it to be much, much lower, but I really don't care, because there is nothing that I can do about it. I don't rant and rave, I just live by whatever the rate is that I have to pay. I can make adjustments, like living in state that doesn't have an income tax. Perhaps I am a bit to passive, or maybe I really do not care about things outside my control.

Another example, and perhaps it is better than the tax example, is insurance fraud. I don't care that it happens, and I guess it does affect me through higher premiums.
But again, I do not care about the higher premiums...there is nothing I can do about it. They charge what they charge, and I pay it if I want insurance coverage. I cannot stop the frauds from happening, all I can do is not participate if I do not agree with it.

After re-reading my ramble....it probably doesn't make much sense...so again...back to my cave!
Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, first make sure that you are not, in fact, just surrounded by assholes." ~ William Gibson
buzzpaff
buzzpaff
  • Threads: 112
June 14th, 2012 at 11:47:36 AM permalink
Quote: TIMSPEED

I think it's wrong to be rich...but I also think it's wrong to be poor...

Often a rich man is a poor man with money.
EvenBob
EvenBob
  • Threads: 441
June 14th, 2012 at 11:59:36 AM permalink
Quote: P90

Clarification: "Wrong" in this instance means morally wrong.

The universe is obviously not moral, so how could it be
wrong. Morality is a human invention. Is it wrong for
raccoons to eat birds eggs? How could it be. If two people
of the same sex want to be together, who cares. I mean
really, don't we have bigger things in our lives to worry
about? I sure do.
"It's not called gambling if the math is on your side."
  • Jump to: