Thread Rating:

Ahigh
Ahigh
  • Threads: 90
January 11th, 2013 at 2:29:14 PM permalink
On a serious note, tungsten is used for munitions and is generally considered "green" and safe.

Tungsten is present in dust (naturally) and occurs more heavily in some places and not at all in most places.

Places that have a lot of tungsten in the dust of the communities are found to have higher incidents of cancer because the metal is all over the place in the dust.

But even though it's sort of apples and oranges (natural occurring tungsten in the soil versus spent ammunition) there is some outcry that tungsten bullets are not as "green" as once though.

When tungsten carbide is in solid metal pieces, the dust doesn't come off readily (unless you scrape it with a diamond or other harder object) and is generally harmless.

But it is expensive (relative to lead) and has that other negative aspect to it.
aahigh.com
GH
GH
  • Threads: 7
January 11th, 2013 at 2:30:40 PM permalink
Quote: Face

It would be terrible and no one would buy it

The performance, or the public acceptance?
RaleighCraps
RaleighCraps
  • Threads: 79
January 11th, 2013 at 2:37:03 PM permalink
Quote: Face

It would be terrible and no one would buy it

Face is right.
For one thing, it would DESTROY the rifling in your barrel. After a few tungsten rounds through the gun you would be lucky to shoot 6 inch groups at 25 yds.

I wonder if a tungsten bullet would even start spinning correctly?

And I would think it would be so heavy you would need a powder load that would rip the receiver apart, separate your shoulder, and gravity would still cause the bullet to drop way too quickly.

Pure guesses on my part.
Always borrow money from a pessimist; They don't expect to get paid back ! Be yourself and speak your thoughts. Those who matter won't mind, and those that mind, don't matter!
Face
Administrator
Face
  • Threads: 49
January 11th, 2013 at 2:44:30 PM permalink
Quote: GH

The performance, or the public acceptance?

See RC for many of the reasons. Additionally, it's heavy as hell. Put 5, 10 or 30 rounds in your gun and try lugging it for an hour. It's also expensive. .44mag already runs ~ $1.20 a shot here in NY. God knows what it'd rocket to. And lastly, it's hard. Without expansion, a bullet just pokes a little hole. You want it to mushroom and expand as it passes, getting bigger as it goes like Pb. Won't happen with W.

Good against machinery. Bad against flesh. And that's the end of my derail.

I now return you to your regularly scheduled program...
The opinions of this moderator are for entertainment purposes only.
AxiomOfChoice
AxiomOfChoice
  • Threads: 32
January 11th, 2013 at 3:36:05 PM permalink
Quote: Ahigh

Yeah, and honestly, I'm not looking forward to the labor. It was damn hard work!!!

I offered to unload the tungsten cubes to the girl with the Kickstarter project, and she just ignored me.

That's a big reason I'm selling this. I initially intended to just help her out and unload my cubes onto her.

It is a ROYAL PAIN IN THE ASS to import cubes from China. And you have minimum orders of THOUSANDS of dollars. It cost $1000 just for the SHIPPING because of all the hoops you have to go through with import brokers. I learned a lot, but it was NOT FUN and it was NOT SOMETHING I WOULD WISH ON MY WORST ENEMY.

But since she didn't respond, I will let her figure out how to get those cubes and I'm selling mine by myself and not to fulfill the orders she already made commitments to that she currently has no understanding for how to fulfill except to get help. If she only incurs $5,000 or less to create 100 or fewer cubes, I would be impressed.

After the first one, I will undercut her price on the Tungsten cubes and ship them sooner and make the point about how her pip sizes are wrong and so on. I can sell the cubes at a loss if I feel like it just to undercut her and make a point if that's what it comes to.

It would have been easier to just help her, but whatever. It's sort of personal now.

I intentionally chose Tungsten because it was hard to do and unusual. Not because it was easy. The other post with the message board I am sure figured out how hard it is to get custom tungsten cubes. It is no easy task. If you get a custom cube for less than $1000, you are doing great. $250 for a finished one is a steal if you really want one that's not part of a mass production.

So, you're selling it out of spite?

I think it's pretty cool. I wouldn't sell it if I were you. Also, since you actually made it yourself, I'd suspect that it's worth more to you than it is to anyone else. My advice would be to cancel the auction and keep it. If I were you I would not even think of letting it go for less than a few grand, and even then only if I really needed the money. It's something to be proud of... why let it go for a few hundred?
Ahigh
Ahigh
January 11th, 2013 at 4:17:57 PM permalink
I have a bid, and I am very happy that the bid was made by a forum member. He can tell you he put in the bid if he chooses to do so.

But I want to thank him for supporting my efforts.

It is very appreciated and it means a lot to me to finally get the first one with engraved pips sold.
aahigh.com
thecesspit
thecesspit
  • Threads: 53
April 7th, 2013 at 9:31:10 AM permalink
Just received my Aluminium dice from the kickstart project. They look fantastic. There's a second project to have edged gaming dice, which would have been preferable for me, as these won't be something I use, the sharp edges will not be good on any board game or table I used. But these are a nice piece to add to my gaming detritus shelf.

The first Tungsten prototype is ready on the project as well, and I think Titanium is under production as well.
"Then you can admire the real gambler, who has neither eaten, slept, thought nor lived, he has so smarted under the scourge of his martingale, so suffered on the rack of his desire for a coup at trente-et-quarante" - Honore de Balzac, 1829
Ahigh
Ahigh
April 7th, 2013 at 9:32:11 AM permalink
Quote: thecesspit

Just received my Aluminium dice from the kickstart project. They look fantastic. There's a second project to have edged gaming dice, which would have been preferable for me, as these won't be something I use, the sharp edges will not be good on any board game or table I used. But these are a nice piece to add to my gaming detritus shelf.

The first Tungsten prototype is ready on the project as well, and I think Titanium is under production as well.

FYI, the Tungsten dice being made by Amber are the result of teamwork between me and Amber. IE: the tungsten came from me.

Amber has stated she intends to buy my entire stock of tungsten for this project, and I am happily assisting her to do all the "heavy lifting" (rim shot) to get these out to the excited recipients.

I am, however, planning to step up my game and I have laid claim (to her and in public here) that the entire of idea of doing metal dice as she followed up on is my original concept and idea.

I haven't given up on ideas related to this project (I'm an idea guy, not a production guy), just stepping my game up a bit. More to come.
aahigh.com
Paigowdan
Paigowdan
  • Threads: 115
May 4th, 2013 at 5:56:21 PM permalink
Quote: Ahigh

FYI, the Tungsten dice being made by Amber are the result of teamwork between me and Amber. IE: the tungsten came from me.

Amber has stated she intends to buy my entire stock of tungsten for this project, and I am happily assisting her to do all the "heavy lifting" (rim shot) to get these out to the excited recipients.

I am, however, planning to step up my game and I have laid claim (to her and in public here) that the entire of idea of doing metal dice as she followed up on is my original concept and idea.

Aaron, if you had, the dice, at least the ones I received, would have from the proper Ace-2-3 side "V".
see a break-off thread Error in kickerstarter dice.
Beware of all enterprises that require new clothes - Henry David Thoreau. Like Dealers' uniforms - Dan.
  • Jump to: