100xOdds
100xOdds
  • Threads: 640
March 17th, 2012 at 11:40:37 PM permalink
Payless car rental- $3/day

luckily i booked via Orbitz and that nuisance charge wasnt on there.
and i told him that my reservation didnt have that charge and the price was $15 cheaper.

he said he had to get approval to get it waived.
pressed a few buttons on the computer and what do u know... i got it waived.

He didnt look too happy.
he was all smiles and energetic b4 i pointed out that my confirmed price didnt have that stupid fee.
as if he pockets that $3/day!?
Craps is paradise (Pair of dice). Lets hear it for the SpeedCount Mathletes :)
duckmankilla
duckmankilla
  • Threads: 15
March 18th, 2012 at 12:13:42 AM permalink
I'm pretty sure I got the same runaround. I was told the fees are mandatory and that they could not be removed. They also slapped me with a $25.00 mandatory insurance fee even though I brought my personal insurance card with me because they said they do not accept insurance from out of state. Is this information accurate or should I be writing a nasty letter to their corporate office?
Tiltpoul
Tiltpoul
  • Threads: 32
March 18th, 2012 at 4:54:54 AM permalink
Quote: 100xOdds

He didnt look too happy. he was all smiles and energetic b4 i pointed out that my confirmed price didnt have that stupid fee. as if he pockets that $3/day!?

He might actually collect a commission on that fee. Many rental car companies make the majority of money on the insurance they encourage people to purchase at the time of rental. Branches have set goals, and I believe there is an incentive to selling the insurance. Don't be surprised if for a $15, you cost him at least a $1.50. Plus, if there is a mandatory percentage the branch needs to be at, and he's the manager, you very well could be costing him not only his paycheck, but probably his job...

Of course, if he's not explaining the "benefits" or doing all he can to get people to keep the fee, then he's really not doing his job.
"One out of every four people are [morons]"- Kyle, South Park
Mosca
Mosca
  • Threads: 191
March 18th, 2012 at 6:33:57 AM permalink
Doesn't accept out-of-state insurance? All carriers in the US are required to be valid in all states, regardless of where the agent is. Tiltpoul is right. And yes, it is a scam, the way the rental clerk presented it.
A falling knife has no handle.
progrocker
progrocker
  • Threads: 4
March 18th, 2012 at 7:08:40 AM permalink
Thanks for the heads up, as I have a reservation next month with Payless. I got four days for 78 bucks total, I will definitely print out the confirmation email and just point at the price saying that is what I'm going to pay. 'Mandatory insurance' is most definitely bull shit.
Solo venimos, solo nos vamos. Y aqui nos juntamos, juntos que estamos.
Boz
Boz
  • Threads: 155
March 18th, 2012 at 9:22:52 AM permalink
I always buy from the cheapest re-seller online and it is funny to see the attitude of the clerk change when I refuse to purchase any extras such as insurance. When they realize there is no additional money, or commission, to be made off me, they just want me out of line and to move on to the next person to fall for it.

Never, ever fall for the "We cannot accept your insurance" scam. It is a pure money-making deal for them. That is why they quote these cheap rates online, hopeing to get the additional sales when the person picks up the car.
sunrise089
sunrise089
  • Threads: 6
March 18th, 2012 at 9:41:44 AM permalink
I think your definition of a "scam" is a little broad, but I agree it's a good thing to watch for and get removed.

I have Executive status with National I picked up in a promotion, and honestly I get a lot more value out of it than I expected. Instead of waiting in line at the counter, then dealing with insurance hard sells and endless computer typing and "sign heres," I want right to the car area, get in whatever car I want, and just hand my card to the guy at the exit booth with no hassle.
teddys
teddys
  • Threads: 150
March 18th, 2012 at 11:08:43 AM permalink
Payless is notorious for doing the "hard sell" on insurance. That's one of the reasons they are often the cheapest. Just say, "No. No. No. No." They can't really force you to buy anything. The last time I reserved with them I was about a half an hour late, and they canceled my reservation. They tried to get me to rent a more expensive car, one that I had not reserved. I said, "No, thank you," and walked over to Thrifty. The salesperson looked quite stunned. What did they expect?

I won't rent from Payless anymore. I had a great experience with Alamo last trip. I highly recommend them.
"Dice, verily, are armed with goads and driving-hooks, deceiving and tormenting, causing grievous woe." -Rig Veda 10.34.4
FleaStiff
FleaStiff
  • Threads: 265
March 18th, 2012 at 1:16:49 PM permalink

as if he pockets that $3/day!?

He does (almost). He gets incentive points for pushing that stuff and its fairly significant. The clerks are not licensed to sell insurance, so they go thru some rigamarole to avoid the term "insurance" ... but its all easy to say 'no' to.

Airlines don't make money on your flight... they make money on your hotel and car reservation and on knowing your travels.

Just as restaurants want to "push sides" to make more money, so do does a car reservation franchise, they push the extras that may even be covered already by the credit card you choose to utilize to pay for it.
Mosca
Mosca
March 18th, 2012 at 1:46:38 PM permalink
Quote: sunrise089

I think your definition of a "scam" is a little broad, but I agree it's a good thing to watch for and get removed.

In my business, the practice he described is actionable. The individual act might not rise to the level of scam, but it is almost certainly widespread at that rental location, and THAT would definitely be a scam.
coilman
coilman
  • Threads: 139
March 18th, 2012 at 3:06:03 PM permalink
I was in Vegas last weekend ( NASCAR ) weekend..... booked my rental on line with DOLLAR.com $13 a day plus fees for a total of $24.50 or so a day for a mid sized car....told them I didnt need the car insurance as I have it via my GOLD card and also coverage with my Canadian Insurance company....nothing more was said about it by the agent.....next up was would you like to rent a GPS system,,,,,I pulled mine out of my backpack and said I think this one of mine will do

Go out to pick up my mid sized car,..... sorry we are out of them will a new minivan do? Sure will... had 220 miles on it NEW,,,,, total cost for Thursday to Monday was under $100

Very good people both at the counter and outside for pickup and drop off ( oh they did ask to see the receipt for the gas purchase for filling up---- its somethiing insane like $8.99 a gallon if you do not fill it up before dropping it off)

DOLLAR get my business next trip out there again thats for sure
sunrise089
sunrise089
  • Threads: 6
March 18th, 2012 at 3:28:14 PM permalink
Quote: Mosca

In my business, the practice he described is actionable. The individual act might not rise to the level of scam, but it is almost certainly widespread at that rental location, and THAT would definitely be a scam.

Bundling charges for legitimate add-ons that are removed when you ask is actionable? I guess I'll join that class action suit right after the one against restaurants that include gratuity...
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
  • Threads: 240
March 18th, 2012 at 3:44:43 PM permalink
I have to agree with others that state it isn't a "scam" as much as just a rip off. If you have full coverage on your personal vehicle and it is good in any car, you do not need their insurance. If you belong to AAA or any other auto club, you do not need their roadside coverage. The clerks get upset when you decline because bonuses both personal and branch as well as promotions to and within management depend on sales of these high-profit items.

I remember my last rental, an insurance-replacement vehicle while mine was in the shop. First, they didn't have the mid-size they promised. No big deal, I drive a subcompact on my own anyways. Guy says, "hey, do you want to pre-pay for your gas?" It was about $.30 below street-pump prices. So I went for it. I almost fell into their trap. Since it was an insurance deal, and the other guys fault (rear-ended) I just signed and drove, but gas was on me. I was used to "rent full-return full" policy, which is no more. They just eyeball the guage. If you return with less than you take it with they charge you. Either the "prepay" rate I paid or some ripoff rate if you don't prepay.

Now the catch--if you have more gas in the tank you just gave it to them. If you "prepaid" and have anything in the tank you kind of donated it to them. Day after I started driving it that pitfall occoured to me. I made out, I returned it on fumes. I even bought 1 gallon, something I hadn't done since college, to be sure I didn't run out. Guy sees it is really on "E" and says, "Sir, it is on empty.........but I see you pre-paid so there is no carge." The guy was crestfallen.

Here is another way to beat their "scams" for want of a better word. This mostly works only at airports. Rent the smallest car they offer. At off-airport they keep smaller cars in stock more since space is less of a premium. But on-airport they have to pay higher rent. So they want higher-profit cars. And many people at the airport are in groups of businesspeople or families and they *need* a bigger car. Here is where it gets interesting.

Again, rent the smallest car, say a Ford Fiesta. They will keep few if any on-airport no matter what their website says. When you get to the counter the clerk will offer an upsell for a few dollars a day. The upesll is the legit price the bigger car goes for. REFUSE IT. Say the Fiesta is fine with you as you are alone and just driving to the hotel, meeting, and such. Chances are there is no subcompact on the lot, not a one. So they will have to give you the bigger car at no additional charge. But if you took the upgrade "offer" at the counter you pay for the nicer car they would have had to give you anyways!

DISCLAIMER: Don't try this if you need the bigger car for one reason or another. Don't assume it will work as it may not. But if you get a kick out of gaming their system, enjoy.
All animals are equal, but some are more equal than others
teddys
teddys
  • Threads: 150
March 18th, 2012 at 4:09:45 PM permalink
I've never gotten a bigger car. Never wanted one. Last time Alamo gave me a Chevy Sonic. BUT one time some company (forgot who, probably Dollar or Budget) upgraded me to a CONVERTIBLE, free. That was the only time I've ever driven a convertible, so that was fun. That was also the trip my parents came to visit, so they enjoyed it, too.

Keep in mind this was winter, in Las Vegas, and we drove around with the top down ALWAYS. The security guard at the Hoover Dam said, "I know you must be from Minnesota."
"Dice, verily, are armed with goads and driving-hooks, deceiving and tormenting, causing grievous woe." -Rig Veda 10.34.4
Mosca
Mosca
March 18th, 2012 at 4:51:52 PM permalink
Quote: sunrise089

Bundling charges for legitimate add-ons that are removed when you ask is actionable? I guess I'll join that class action suit right after the one against restaurants that include gratuity...

There have been class action suits. My side lost.

STATE TAKES ACTION TO STOP DECEPTION IN AUTO INDUSTRY
Boz
Boz
  • Threads: 155
March 18th, 2012 at 5:25:09 PM permalink
It IS a scam when they bring up stuff like your states Insurance is not valid here. Not only is it incorrect, it is illegal. The rest of the stuff are rip-offs intended to take uninformed travels from their money. But when you are lying about laws, it is a scam.
Paradigm
Paradigm
  • Threads: 42
March 18th, 2012 at 6:22:20 PM permalink
I have used Dollar and Thrifty on at least 7 trips in the last 12 months......they have normally been very competitive with other rental companies online (although I must say, I don't remember seeing Payless or Fox for that matter). Sure you get the "do you want insurance or GPS at the counter, but they seem to take "no" for an answer the first time. I will go with either of them on future trips.
Mosca
Mosca
March 18th, 2012 at 7:45:35 PM permalink
Quote: Boz

It IS a scam when they bring up stuff like your states Insurance is not valid here. Not only is it incorrect, it is illegal. The rest of the stuff are rip-offs intended to take uninformed travels from their money. But when you are lying about laws, it is a scam.

The act itself is called "packing", and it is illegal. The lie is a deceptive trade practice, and is a crime.

I have a good friend who is well respected in our industry, and he has a saying, "What we used to call 'closing techniques' are now called 'felonies'." It was actually taught; the technique was called "close and disclose". "Mr Smith, you'll be happy to know that your $123/day rental includes the waiver of physical damage clause, and includes the roadside assistance clause. Those are the most valuable optional coverages available to all our customers here at Wonderful Rental Cars."
EvenBob
EvenBob
  • Threads: 441
March 18th, 2012 at 8:08:40 PM permalink
I've rented dozens of cars. Almost everything they offer you
over and above the rental cost is how they make their money.
For an extra $5 a month I got car rental coverage on my auto
insurance. I have a card that says so, and I've had rental agents
tell me they didn't even know you could do that.

Like somebody else said, order a small car and tell them you
don't want an upgrade. I've gotten cars all the way up to
Park Avenues doing this, especially in Vegas. If the gas gauge
isn't pegged on full, they last renter is gaming you. The rental
place only cares that the gauge is on full, not that its pegged.
So people fill the car up when they still have 100 miles to drive
and make sure its just on full when they return it. You have to
do the same thing or it can cost you at least $15 extra dollars to
fill it up.

If something goes wrong with the car, or is wrong when you
return it, SIGN NOTHING!!! They will try and get you to sign
an 'inspection check' or something similar and if you do, you're
admitting guilt and they'll try and charge your card for the repair
or bill you for it. I learned this the hard way, take my word for it.
They're real nice and talkative when they bring out the form for
you to sign, just tell them you have to call your lawyer first, whip
out your phone, fake the call, and tell them to shove it.

Shit will happen if you rent a lot of cars, be prepared. You can't
have too much info to protect yourself. If you rent a compact in
Vegas and they actually have it, drive it a mile and take it back telling
them the air is hardly putting out anything. This always works because
they know its probably true. You'll get an immediate upgrade.
"It's not called gambling if the math is on your side."
duckmankilla
duckmankilla
  • Threads: 15
March 19th, 2012 at 3:15:11 PM permalink
As an update, I sent an unhappy email on Friday to Payless Customer Service stating how I was told insurance was mandatory. I received a phone call today asking what my dispute was specifically and after explaining the situation I was told that I would be credited back for the disputed amount within 3-5 business days. We'll see if it actually happens, but a pretty painless refund process at least to this point.
AZDuffman
AZDuffman
  • Threads: 240
March 19th, 2012 at 6:28:54 PM permalink
Quote: duckmankilla

As an update, I sent an unhappy email on Friday to Payless Customer Service stating how I was told insurance was mandatory. I received a phone call today asking what my dispute was specifically and after explaining the situation I was told that I would be credited back for the disputed amount within 3-5 business days. We'll see if it actually happens, but a pretty painless refund process at least to this point.

I think it will credit back to you with no issue. Upon reading this methinks that perhaps the "mandatory" thing was false statement on the part of the counter clerk, perhaps at the direction of the branch manager or perhaps not. When I was in pest control we had issues like that all of the time. At the bank as well to a lesser extent.

Someone somewhere sets a budget or goal. Some people came up with all manor of statements to get the customer to buy, acheiving the goal. Then the people upstairs are happy and don't know or care why someone is doing so much better than the others--The person not making it is called a "loser" and gets no bonus. Eventually either complaints or the Attorney General catches up with the whole thing, by which time the person who said the nonsense statement has moved on to something else.
All animals are equal, but some are more equal than others
100xOdds
100xOdds
  • Threads: 640
March 19th, 2012 at 6:53:40 PM permalink
Quote: EvenBob

I've rented dozens of cars. Almost everything they offer you
over and above the rental cost is how they make their money.
For an extra $5 a month I got car rental coverage on my auto
insurance. I have a card that says so, and I've had rental agents
tell me they didn't even know you could do that.

Like somebody else said, order a small car and tell them you
don't want an upgrade. I've gotten cars all the way up to
Park Avenues doing this, especially in Vegas. If the gas gauge
isn't pegged on full, they last renter is gaming you. The rental
place only cares that the gauge is on full, not that its pegged.
So people fill the car up when they still have 100 miles to drive
and make sure its just on full when they return it. You have to
do the same thing or it can cost you at least $15 extra dollars to
fill it up.

If something goes wrong with the car, or is wrong when you
return it, SIGN NOTHING!!! They will try and get you to sign
an 'inspection check' or something similar and if you do, you're
admitting guilt and they'll try and charge your card for the repair
or bill you for it. I learned this the hard way, take my word for it.
They're real nice and talkative when they bring out the form for
you to sign, just tell them you have to call your lawyer first, whip
out your phone, fake the call, and tell them to shove it.

Shit will happen if you rent a lot of cars, be prepared. You can't
have too much info to protect yourself. If you rent a compact in
Vegas and they actually have it, drive it a mile and take it back telling
them the air is hardly putting out anything. This always works because
they know its probably true. You'll get an immediate upgrade.

what do you mean sign nothing when you return the car?
what happens if u dont?
Craps is paradise (Pair of dice). Lets hear it for the SpeedCount Mathletes :)
EvenBob
EvenBob
March 19th, 2012 at 8:50:56 PM permalink

what do you mean sign nothing when you return the car?
what happens if u dont?

If something is wrong with the car, they'll want you to sign
a form that says you're aware of the inspection they did,
and yes, the engine is blown/no oil in the crankcase/no
coolant in the system. Don't sign the form, no matter what
they say, even if they say it doesn't make you at fault in
any way. They will use your signature as a confession.
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
  • Threads: 1493
March 19th, 2012 at 8:59:08 PM permalink
Once I rented a car from Avis out of the Miami airport. On my return it was difficult getting to the airport in the first place, and nowhere did I see a gas station. So I returned the tank about half full. I got royally screwed on for not returning it full. As I recall, I had to pay about three times the going rate for gas.

A bit off topic, but another airport where there is no gas station anywhere close is Baltimore-Washington.
"For with much wisdom comes much sorrow." -- Ecclesiastes 1:18 (NIV)
wrongway
wrongway
  • Threads: 8
March 20th, 2012 at 4:12:07 AM permalink
We rented from Hertz last trip and were very happy. The desk clerk gave us an upgrade and no hard sell on any extras. They even had a guy at the return who jumped in "our" car and drove us in it to the airport! Got to skip unloading luggage and then catching the shuttle. Very nice for us.
Mosca
Mosca
March 20th, 2012 at 6:21:45 AM permalink
Most of my rentals have gone smoothly, I've only had a couple bad ones. I've never had a good car on Hawaii's Big Island; the first time I got a Mazda 6 with bad brakes (they swapped it out), the second time I got a Chevy Venture that was on its last legs at 29,000 miles, that had a huge soda stain in the back. I made them document the stain before I took it.

The best one was in Orlando. The car I'd requested was gone, and I got a Buick Century to replace it, with 8 miles. Damn, it felt good to drive a new car on vacation.
boymimbo
boymimbo
  • Threads: 17
March 20th, 2012 at 7:22:02 AM permalink
I'm a regular Avis renter. Their large airport service is excellent - usually their shuttles are fast. The free preferred program lets you get away with a quick ID check before you walk to your car and leave. I've had problems at smaller locations however. When they don't have a preferred program in place, you have to wait in line.

My best advice for rental cars is to deal with a company with a fasttrack program. You avoid lines. You don't get the hard sell on insurance, and you can get out of the airport pretty quickly. The last thing I want to do at the end of a flight is wait.

I always decline everything.
----- You want the truth! You can't handle the truth!
slyther
slyther
  • Threads: 13
March 20th, 2012 at 9:15:43 AM permalink
I have only used National for many years. (I have a standard Emerald Club membership via my employer) I have never had any issues with them.

My most recent rental from them in Kona, HI had only 40 miles on it when I stepped in!
aluisio
aluisio
  • Threads: 19
March 20th, 2012 at 9:24:39 AM permalink
Quote: Wizard

Once I rented a car from Avis out of the Miami airport. On my return it was difficult getting to the airport in the first place, and nowhere did I see a gas station. So I returned the tank about half full. I got royally screwed on for not returning it full. As I recall, I had to pay about three times the going rate for gas.

I had the same issue with Hertz when I returned a car at the Airport in Philadelphia. My tank was also about half full but they charged me the whole tank. It came out U$80 more than I have expected. One of the best companies I have rent a car is Enterprise. As I remember, Hertz had a special "Airport fare" of U$15 (I guess it was a convenience fee) as well as a U$15/day young driver's fee since I was 22yo at the time.
No bounce, no play.
Nareed
Nareed
  • Threads: 373
March 20th, 2012 at 9:33:25 AM permalink
Quote: Wizard

Back in the 70s, I think, or amybe early in the 80s, the car rental place in Houston had a gas pump at the lot where you returned the car. They filled up the tank when you went in, and added the charge to your bill.

Last time I rented a car, in Orlando in 06, I returned it with about a half tank. They charged me for the fill up later through the card I paid the rental with.
Donald Trump is a fucking criminal
EvenBob
EvenBob
March 20th, 2012 at 1:13:38 PM permalink
Quote: Nareed

Last time I rented a car, in Orlando in 06, I returned it with about a half tank. They charged me for the fill up later through the card I paid the rental with.

Yup. Everything's a game with them. They have lots of
rules and you have to obey all of them or it will cost
you. They used to give you 30min leeway in bringing
back a car, now its 15min. If you bring it back 20min late,
they charge you for another day. If you spill something
in the car and it smells like what you spilled, thats a $75
fumigation charge. I brought my dog with me to return
a car once and they tried to charge me for fumigation
without even checking the car. I raised so much hell
they went and checked it and took the charge off. But
most people will just lie down and take it.
zippyboy
zippyboy
  • Threads: 2
March 20th, 2012 at 7:22:52 PM permalink
Quote: EvenBob

If you spill something
in the car and it smells like what you spilled, thats a $75
fumigation charge.

Yeah? What's so wrong with that? Don't be a klutz. I spill something in YOUR car, don't you think we'd have a problem?
"Poker sure is an easy game to beat if you have the roll to keep rebuying."
EvenBob
EvenBob
March 20th, 2012 at 7:27:39 PM permalink
Quote: zippyboy

Yeah? What's so wrong with that? Don't be a klutz. I spill something in YOUR car, don't you think we'd have a problem?

Cleaning up spilled popcorn doesn't cost $75. You miss
the point entirely. They don't evaluate it on a case by
case basis. They treat it all the same so they can squeeze
the the max in cash out of you.
zippyboy
zippyboy
  • Threads: 2
March 20th, 2012 at 7:39:02 PM permalink
You didn't say popcorn originally. I assumed perfume, scotch or something toxic.
"Poker sure is an easy game to beat if you have the roll to keep rebuying."
EvenBob
EvenBob
March 20th, 2012 at 7:46:05 PM permalink
Quote: zippyboy

You didn't say popcorn originally. I assumed perfume, scotch or something toxic.

They tried to charge me just because I had a
dog. My dog doesn't stink.
JohnnyQ
JohnnyQ
  • Threads: 262
March 21st, 2012 at 5:42:35 PM permalink
I decided to pay a little more and go with AVIS over PAYLESS.
I really hate standing in a long, slow rental car line after a
long flight.

I will also get some frequent flier points because I booked thru
the SWA website. There was a decent rate for a Full Size
available, $ 240 total for 6 days.
There's emptiness behind their eyes There's dust in all their hearts They just want to steal us all and take us all apart
  • Jump to: