NicksGamingStuff
NicksGamingStuff
  • Threads: 50
November 2nd, 2011 at 11:36:24 AM permalink
Last night my spouse and I split a Red Baron pizza, about six hours later we were very sick (I will spare you the graphic details). Anyway does anyone know what to do for food poisoning?
Mosca
Mosca
  • Threads: 191
November 2nd, 2011 at 11:38:06 AM permalink
It's more likely that your illness was caused by poor handling rather than the product per se.

That being said, don't eat Red Baron pizza, because it tastes bad.
A falling knife has no handle.
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
  • Threads: 1491
November 2nd, 2011 at 11:39:05 AM permalink
Quote: NicksGamingStuff

Anyway does anyone know what to do for food poisoning?

You should ask SOOPOO, but I think there isn't much you can do, just let it run its course. However, sounds like you lost a lot of liquid so drink lots of fluids to stay properly hydrated.

Thanks for the warning. It is a rather far for you, but I highly recommend Rocco's Pizza in the Summerlin Costco shopping center.
"For with much wisdom comes much sorrow." -- Ecclesiastes 1:18 (NIV)
MrV
MrV
  • Threads: 364
November 2nd, 2011 at 11:40:39 AM permalink
Don't eat solid foods until the diarrhea has passed, and avoid dairy products, which can worsen diarrhea (due to a temporary state of lactose intolerance).

Drink any fluid (except milk or caffeinated beverages) to replace fluids lost by diarrhea and vomiting.
"What, me worry?"
nvmikey
nvmikey
  • Threads: 1
November 2nd, 2011 at 11:40:43 AM permalink
Food poisoning is the worst thing. All I have ever done is let it run its course, and try to decide which end to stick on the commode.

Have a look here it seems pretty informative.
vert1276
vert1276
  • Threads: 70
November 2nd, 2011 at 11:42:52 AM permalink
Quote: Mosca

It's more likely that your illness was caused by poor handling rather than the product per se.

That being said, don't eat Red Baron pizza, because it tastes bad.

Yes, this is why all teenagers should at some time or another work in the "fast food" industry...so they get a food handlers card and learn about cross contamination.....and how easy it is to do.....and that cross contamination 99.9% of the time is what causes "food poisoning"...and not the original product itself.....anyways just my 2 cents
SOOPOO
SOOPOO
  • Threads: 121
November 2nd, 2011 at 11:44:05 AM permalink
Quote: Wizard

You should ask SOOPOO, but I think there isn't much you can do, just let it run its course. However, sounds like you lost a lot of liquid so drink lots of fluids to stay properly hydrated.

Thanks for the warning. It is a rather far for you, but I highly recommend Rocco's Pizza in the Summerlin Costco shopping center.

SOOPOO here- The Wiz gets credit for being 'doctor of the day'. His advice is generally sound. But of course sometimes what you think is 'food poisoning' can be something more ominous, like Sal Minella. If it is not gone by now you may need to seek medical attention.
NicksGamingStuff
NicksGamingStuff
November 2nd, 2011 at 11:48:17 AM permalink
I do know how to handle food and all that jazz, I have worked that industry my whole life for the most part. I am feeling better, my back hurts though, but soaking in a warm tub helps. I do have Kaiser Permanente, but I do not think they have one of those here so hopefully I will be better soon. Thanks for all the feedback.
MrV
MrV
  • Threads: 364
November 2nd, 2011 at 11:50:53 AM permalink
Quote: SOOPOO

SOOPOO here- But of course sometimes what you think is 'food poisoning' can be something more ominous, like Sal Minella.

It's not nice to speak ill of the dead.

salmineo
"What, me worry?"
sunrise089
sunrise089
  • Threads: 6
November 2nd, 2011 at 11:59:00 AM permalink
I'm no doctor, but my guess is if you bought a completely frozen dinner and then heated it to 400 degrees and then got sick the problem doesn't lie with the frozen dinner.
Wizard
Administrator
Wizard
  • Threads: 1491
November 2nd, 2011 at 12:03:08 PM permalink
Thanks for chiming in Dr. SOOPOO. "Doctor for the day," I like that.

I didn't realize that Red Barron pizza is the frozen kind you buy at the supermarket.
"For with much wisdom comes much sorrow." -- Ecclesiastes 1:18 (NIV)
NicksGamingStuff
NicksGamingStuff
November 2nd, 2011 at 12:03:56 PM permalink
It is possible, Food Poisoning can occur from something that was not your last meal. Since both my spouse and I are sick it is something we both ate. I understand the ideology, but I would think in either transport or manufacturing the product could have been tainted.
Tiltpoul
Tiltpoul
  • Threads: 32
November 2nd, 2011 at 12:15:12 PM permalink

It is possible, Food Poisoning can occur from something that was not your last meal. Since both my spouse and I are sick it is something we both ate. I understand the ideology, but I would think in either transport or manufacturing the product could have been tainted.

If you do believe it was because of the food, whether it was or not, you should call the comment line on the box. Inform them when you bought it, where you bought it, and give as much detail as possible. They may or may not issue a refund, but most importantly, it keeps a tracking list. If others complain, then a large scale recall can occur and you'll prevent others from getting sick.

But don't worry about me eating Red Baron pizza. That stuff is NASTY. I recommend Tombstone personal pizzas. They are really good, and I've eaten my share and I don't believe I've ever gotten sick off those.
"One out of every four people are [morons]"- Kyle, South Park
waltomeal
waltomeal
  • Threads: 7
November 2nd, 2011 at 12:48:39 PM permalink

Capt. von Richthofen is coming after us one at a time. Revenge is a dish best served cold!
Old enough to repaint. Young enough to sell.
Ayecarumba
Ayecarumba
  • Threads: 236
November 2nd, 2011 at 12:49:32 PM permalink
It is quite possible that the product reached an unsafe temperature during transport to the supermarket, or while waiting to be stocked in the freezer at the market. It is also possible that it was allowed to warm before it made it too your house. There may be other culprits though. if your power went off an on while you were out, you may not know that things spoiled. It could also be the flu.

In any case, Powerade, or Gatorade are great for getting fluid and electrolyte levels back up. Hope you are both better soon.

As for frozen pizza reccomendations, I really enjoy "Bagel Bites". I wonder how many of them equal one slice of Costco pizza?
Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication - Leonardo da Vinci
Ayecarumba
Ayecarumba
  • Threads: 236
November 2nd, 2011 at 12:57:34 PM permalink
Quote: waltomeal

Capt. von Richthofen is coming after us one at a time. Revenge is a dish best served cold!

Ja whol, waltomeal! He always tore up Snoopy...

Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication - Leonardo da Vinci
boymimbo
boymimbo
  • Threads: 17
November 2nd, 2011 at 1:09:45 PM permalink
PowerAde and Gatorade are excellent fluid/electrolyte replacement - works in hangovers as well.

As for frozen Pizza, we like Delissio but recently the blue menu pizzas available here at Loblaws are boss.
----- You want the truth! You can't handle the truth!
EvenBob
EvenBob
  • Threads: 441
November 2nd, 2011 at 1:33:27 PM permalink
My guess is its a mild form of E. Coli that made you sick. Frozen
pizza has meat and veggies, and there have been outbreaks
of E. Coli in the past related to pizza. Your back hurting is your
kidneys recovering from the infection. I'm not a doctor outside
of my home office...
"It's not called gambling if the math is on your side."
Alan
Alan
  • Threads: 17
November 2nd, 2011 at 1:43:19 PM permalink
Quote: EvenBob

My guess is its a mild form of E. Coli that made you sick. Frozen
pizza has meat and veggies, and there have been outbreaks
of E. Coli in the past related to pizza. Your back hurting is your
kidneys recovering from the infection. I'm not a doctor outside
of my home office...

I think at 400ºF for 20-25 minutes(typical frozen pizza cooking temp/time range) E. Coli would be wiped out. However, if you handled the pizza before the cooking process and didn't wash your hands prior to eating it, then there could be E. Coli on your hands and re-transmitted it to the pizza when you ate it.
EvenBob
EvenBob
November 2nd, 2011 at 3:39:11 PM permalink
Quote: Alan

I think at 400ºF for 20-25 minutes(typical frozen pizza cooking temp/time range) E. Coli would be wiped out. However, if you handled the pizza before the cooking process and didn't wash your hands prior to eating it, then there could be E. Coli on your hands and re-transmitted it to the pizza when you ate it.

Frozen pizza is known for E Coli. Totinos had a big
recall in 2007 because of it.
Mosca
Mosca
  • Threads: 191
November 2nd, 2011 at 3:53:04 PM permalink
Quote: EvenBob

Frozen pizza is known for E Coli. Totinos had a big
recall in 2007 because of it.

Most people use the cardboard underside in the packing as a serving plate. there's your cross contamination.
A falling knife has no handle.
Woldus
Woldus
  • Threads: 14
November 2nd, 2011 at 4:12:19 PM permalink
Titpoul: If you do believe it was because of the food, whether it was or not, you should call the comment line on the box. Inform them when you bought it, where you bought it, and give as much detail as possible. They may or may not issue a refund, but most importantly, it keeps a tracking list. If others complain, then a large scale recall can occur and you'll prevent others from getting sick.

Better yet mail them a sample of the problem and its consequences...maybe they can identify what went wrong....?
FleaStiff
FleaStiff
  • Threads: 265
November 2nd, 2011 at 4:37:15 PM permalink
Fluids, particularly water. Time.

Long term side effects are rare and usually not just from bad food handling practices but some quacks think some cases of Chronic Fatigue Syndrome are really long term effects of gastrointestinal disease.
EvenBob
EvenBob
November 2nd, 2011 at 4:54:56 PM permalink
Send the makers of Red Baron proof that you
bought the pizza and tell them you got sick.
I guarantee they'll send you a bunch of coupons
to get free products they make worth 5 times
what you paid for the pizza.
NicksGamingStuff
NicksGamingStuff
November 2nd, 2011 at 4:57:19 PM permalink
The idea is interesting, but I do not want to eat their stuff anymore if it made me sick even if it was free
Tiltpoul
Tiltpoul
  • Threads: 32
November 2nd, 2011 at 5:00:56 PM permalink

The idea is interesting, but I do not want to eat their stuff anymore if it made me sick even if it was free

It's still your duty to let them know that the product may be contaminated. Do you want others to go through what you've gone through? You don't always have to do it for free stuff... sometimes, you just need to make companies aware of their potential misdoings.

I'm not sure the cross-contamination from not washing hands argument works, unless you both handled the pizza prior to the oven and afterwards.
"One out of every four people are [morons]"- Kyle, South Park
EvenBob
EvenBob
November 2nd, 2011 at 5:01:03 PM permalink

They make more than just Pizza. Go here: Red Baron
You'll get coupons, just do it, you'll see.
  • Jump to: